Swelling in hand joints- help!

Hey there! I'm on R2D8 and for the last two nights I have endorsed bilateral joint swelling in my hands. It began Saturday night around midnight and was gone when I woke up the next morning, but it started again Sunday evening while at work (around 11pm or so). Saturday night I endorsed more swelling compared to Sunday night, but the swelling was present nonetheless.  Joint swelling is a common symptom I have with food intolerances (ie, I've been lactose intolerance for years and joints will swell if I have too much, and after completing my first whole30 my joints would swell after drinking alcohol)  and I do believe this is related to something I have eaten in the last couple of days, but I can't pin down the culprit and was hoping for some insight.

Here's a food diary for the last 3 days:

Side note: I'm a nurse, and only have an opportunity to eat 2 big meals on the days I work, so I try hard to have a mini meal or small snack every 2-3 hours during my shift.

Friday:

M1: basil chicken, sweet potatoes, zucchini, coffee

M2: chicken salad (compliant whole30 mayo, grapes, celery, herbs, chicken), sweet potatoes

M3: steamed shrimp with peri peri rub, various veggies (onions, carrots, broccoli), side salad

Saturday--working

M1: eggs, guacamole, sweet potatoes, coffee, fruit, cashew butter

Mini meals consisted of: Rx bar, almonds and cashews

M2: chicken salad, side salad (with tomatoes and sunflower seeds, compliant dressing), sweet potatoes, banana

M3: Kale salad with steak

Sunday--working

M1: eggs, guac, sweet potatoes, coffee, berries, cashew butter

Mini meals consisted of: Rx bar, almonds, small dish of chicken salad

M2: chicken salad, side salad, sweet potatoes, banana, carrots, and zucchini

The cashews I had on Saturday had peanut oil in the ingredients list (Unknowingly ate them), and I thought maybe I was reacting to the peanut oil, but when my hands started swelling again on Sunday I began thinking it was possibly something else, such as the almonds. I would be surprised if it were the eggs and cashew butter- as I eat both almost every morning for breakfast, but I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

• Moderators

Sorry you are having this issue.

Your meals look good overall, keep up the good work including lots of different veggies!

The first thing that jumps out at me is that you are eating a fair amount of nuts, so that's the first thing I would eliminate. RXbars include nuts as well.

When we say eat a Mini meal, we mean real food from at least two of the categories, preferably including protein -- ie, protein + vegetables, or protein + fat. That will be more filling and more nourishing and will hold you over better. It's why we recommend you don't eat fruit on its own. (RXbars and such are only for when you are stuck somewhere you can't get to other food for many hours).

I realize you can't sit and eat a whole meal on your shifts.  Instead of trying to eat every 2-3 hours, go for one mini-meal. Try baby carrots and approved jerky -- stashed in your pockets if necessary. If you have refrigeration available (or even a lunch bag with ice packs), I'd go with something like hard boiled eggs and other raw (or cooked) veggies like broccoli, carrots, peppers, snap peas, etc.

Also, what's peri peri rub? Sounds delicious!

Hope the joint issue clears up soon.

Archived