eating too much...?

juliep513

• Moderators

You would need to provide a food log and tells us about yourself in terms of size and activity levels for anyone to make a useful judgment about how much you are eating. On the other hand, one of my most common comments I make when I read a food log is, "You're not eating enough."

Thanks Tom! Here is the link to my food log;

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/4783-julies-whole-30until-xmas/page__pid__43097#entry43097

I workout 5 days a week - 4 lifting (2 lower 2 upper) with three days of cardio - spin/HIIT and then I just started incorporating a day of yoga. I'm 5'10 probably about 150. I also have a desk job 5 days/week.

Thinking of my own food log, it may look as though I'm not eating that much but what you don't see is the size of the portions :). For instance, my salad bowl is a pasta serving dish and, yes, I can chomp my way through it. I get a delivery of seasonal vegggies every week from a local organic nursery and the delivery guy is constantly amused that I get a 2 person bag for myself and still tend to get more from his stall at the farmer's market :ph34r:. I also eat good sized portions of meat, chicken etc.

Unless we weighed and measured our food (totally against the W30 spirit) it's impossible to know just how much anyone is eating so I work totally on the 'if you're hungry eat' principle. As long as it's good wholesome W30 compliant food, following the meal templates, then you're nourishing you're body and doing the best for it

• Moderators

Maybe I should have asked your age because you can workout 5-6 days per week in your twenties safely enough, but in your forties and fifties, the volume becomes dangerous. Another issue is how long you spend working during each workout. There is a difference between workouts that last 30 minutes and those that last 90 minutes. Overall, I would mention that I have been shocked at how much you can get from training in short, intense sessions as little as 3 days per week. There are good reasons for some people to train more, but those reasons rarely include maximizing health. On the other hand, if you are young, enjoy what you are doing, and are not suffering injuries, have fun.

You may have a desk job, but your exercise activity levels are substantial and increase your food requirements.

Looking at a few days of your food log, I don't think you are eating too much. You can eat a lot of veggies and lots of lean protein without over eating. In fact, I would say you might need to up the fat portion of your meals by ditching the egg whites and eating more whole eggs. A lot of the nutrition and the fat that keeps your body satisfied is in the yolk. You also seem to do chicken and fish a lot. I find that I need red meat several days per week to be fully satisfied. There is something about beef that feeds me differently than chicken.

Our bodies adjust to how much we eat to some extent. The metabolism of a person who eats only a little slows and he/she burn less energy. The metabolism of a person who eats more ramps up and he/she burns more energy. Ironically, not eating enough sometimes makes it difficult to lose weight.

Thanks Tom! This is great information - I will definitely start including more egg yolks, & fat. I'm 26 years old. My workouts last sometimes 60 minutes if its a hard lower body session or sometimes 30 minutes if I'm just doing HIIT - I vary the length throughout the week to make sure I'm not overtraining myself and always listen to my body if I need rest. I love red meat! I just haven't had it over the past few days haha but it's something I do include in my diet at least once per week. Thank you again for the feedback!

Appreciate the topic!

This thread is very interesting to me; as I am 43 years old; and exercise about six days a week (sometimes more...as I add yoga four days a week in the afternoons whenever possible)...I guess there are always exceptions...and I have always been very athletic; however, I was wondering about the "dangers" Tom was speaking of. Care to elaborate?

Also, I know I was not eating enough during my first W30; and felt it for sure during exercise. This go-round I am adding more sweet potato during each meal...and tracking my food (which I didn't do last time as I was following the suggestions for the program.) I need to track my food / calories in order to be certain I am not undereating...

I eat a ton of veggies and lean white fish and chicken as well...maybe I should add more yolks; and red meat as well? I have a substantial amount of weight to drop (66lbs to goal)...and I am working towards healing my relationships with food; and re-setting my body while maintaining my exercise levels.

Are there any articles on the two subjects? (dangers of exercise 6(+)x/week over 40; and eating more red meats and fats during the W30)

Heather,

While I appreciate needing to make sure that you aren't undereating (I am notorious for forgetting to eat, btw), continuing to track intake is going to be a roadblock into your healthy food relationship quest. I'm not saying you can't get there while tracking, it's just going to be harder.

The book includes a meal planning template/guidelines for a reason; to free yourself from logging and tracking, while ensuring that you're eating enough. I encourage you to follow that instead.

If you aren't eating your 1-2 thumbs of fat a meal, or always eating lean meats and ditching the egg yolks, then yes, you need more fat.

In regards to training, I believe that, outside of training to be competitive at a sport, it is basically never appropriate to work out 6x/week. I think I would even go so far as to say that (if health and longevity are your primary goals) working out any more than 3x/week is inappropriate.

Honestly, outside of the concerns of stress, recovery, etc (which are all incredibly valid concerns in regards to weight/fat loss), life is too short to spend that much time in the gym!! Go for a walk! Take a bubble bath! Lock your kids/husband/family out of the house for a couple of hours and do that thing you said you'd do "when you had more time."

Thanks for the suggestions Renee...I am planning to get the book; and I did enjoy not tracking my food during my initial W30.

As far as exercise; it is something I love...for me yoga is a spiritual thing; and provides me with serenity beyond compare. In additon, we have a gym in our basement; and our family shares a love for weight lifting; and Beachbody dvd programs...so we don't have to waste time driving to the gym...we just press play; and share healthy time sweating together! :)

I am also pursing a career as a yoga instructor; so my circumstances may be different than those of someone just exercising in order to maintain, or become fit.

Archived