Mind-Altering Garlic Sauce

Breezygoat

I wanted to post this recipe for all to enjoy. I encountered this golden elixir whilst watching "Mexico One Plate at a Time" a couple of years ago. When I say mind-altering, I really am not exaggerating. My discovery of this sauce fundamentally altered my culinary direction.

I have used this garlic oil in so many different dishes; sometimes as the main feature, and others in a nuanced way that leaves you with only a hint of garlic dancing around your tongue.

W30 makes us stretch our creativity in the kitchen in such fantastic ways. But time in the kitchen is sometimes a luxury we cannot afford as much of as we would prefer.

Enter mojo de ajo. This sauce can take the stress away from a time-strapped home chef who's trying to put something healthy yet decadent down on the table in a hurry. Put it together on an afternoon when you have some time and you'll enjoy the fruits of your labor all week (or longer). An added bonus: the smell of gently roasting garlic will make your house smell lovely.

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=244

Kirsteen, it'll be worth the trip!

Shelley, I do use the oil for sautéing. I'll also pour the garlic and oil together over grilled meats of any kind, with some fresh chopped herbs and maybe some lime zest too. It's wonderful over sweet potatoes too. When I roast cubed sweet potatoes, I use the oil to moisten before cooking, and toss in some of the garlic when them come out of the oven.

Rick Bayless has a dish where he makes a sauce from mojo (garlic included), some chopped dried fruits (prunes, apricots, whatever you have on hand), chopped toasted nuts and wine. I just skip the wine and add in some homemade chicken stock. I just let it simmer down until thickened to my liking, season with salt and pepper and a splash of ACV, and then ladle generously over some grilled or baked fish.

The garlic makes a great addition to guacamole too.

Have fun!

I make mojo often, but the way I make it is different than this. I use my iron skillet and make it on the stove top. My husband is Cuban and mojo is one of the first things I learned to make. We eat it on pretty much everything. I pour it (with a few added spices) over chicken breasts before putting them in the freezer. They are seasoned and ready to bake once they are thawed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived