Robin's Bandwagon Whole30

Robin Strathdee

Juzbo-- here is my experience if what you are hoping. I am post W45 and around day 21 I could not even bear the thought of reintroduction. Post I added back wine and a little dairy and a Paleo dessert with artificial sweetener at thanksgiving just to see if it would affect me. FORGET artificial sweetener. Yuck! Bloat city. But the wine was interesting and I want to share this with you. It made me feel lousy but it also began "calling me". Like a sense that if I just continued to drink the lousy feeling would subside. But I didn't want to go there so I just started a new Whole 25 just to get a sense of me and alcohol. I needed the strict rules to keep me from sliding back to the old way if drinking. I want you to understand that I am not an alcoholic. Actually I was surprised how easy it was to give up the alcohol during my first W45 and how easy it is for me not to have it now. So, it's something i am just sitting back and noticing

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am eating pretty good here on day 6, (in no small way thanks to the amazing food cooker who makes such wonderful meals).

I have consumed 18 eggs, +2lbs of brisket, 1lb or hamburger, 1.5 heads of cabbage, ~20 carrots, ~7 apples and countless other things in the last 4 days and am feeling great. That is something I will say for doing w30s often and eating pretty clean in between is that you feel the time line faster and less intensely. That's not to say I haven't craved poorer choice foods but that it doesn't feel like the demon priest from the Temple of Doom pulling my still beating heart from my chest every time I drive by a pizza joint or walk past the bakery in a grocery store.

Robin and hubs.. you guys go!

I'm new around here, and I've only seen Robin post "officially" with a wide variety of really smart sounding posts... so I am totally enjoying the fun-ness (yep, I made that up) of this thread. I also appreciate the real-ness (made that up too :P) of the whole 30 that you are doing. For some reason, I expected any of the mods/whole9staff to just do W30's like it's nothing, so it is refreshing to see that even the "experts" have some issues, too. It is helpful to see how other people work through the bumps in the road, at least for me. Looking forward to reading the rest! Good luck! I am jumping in in January!

nmichels -

If there's one thing I've got, it's issues ;0) Seriously, though, I'm glad you're enjoying our rambles. We are pretty laid back folks, so this is a direct reflection of our everyday life.

I think it's safe to say that everyone has food issues of one kind or another. Mine biggest ones are under-eating and candy. Not all sugar - candy. My favorite thing about W30 is that I learn something new and develop new behaviors every. single. time. Because once you get the "what to eat" down, you can focus on the how to eat, when to eat and why to eat. This time, I'm really trying to concentrate on getting enough food in my body, planning and prep (I'm a good "wing it" cook) and not wanting to reward myself with food.. It's been bumpy so far, but I can only imagine it getting better.

About the baby food: I have a hard time remembering to eat pre and post workout and, as I'm a fairly experienced CrossFitter, my workouts are intense enough that I really ought to. So I go for a starchy carb baby food and some kind of protein. The squeezy packs are nice, because I can suck one of those down without having to use my hands, so I can grab it while I load the kids in the car, chat with friends or even drive.

Is there any particular brand that you go to? I think that is a good idea for me, I go straight from work, so it would be an easy, yet still good, thing for me to pack. I crossfit as well (not sure if you would use the word "experienced" to describe my crossfitting :P), so my workouts are pretty intense, I know I should incorporate pre and post WOD meals, but I forget... :/ That could be a thing to get me in the groove.

I am excited to start my first W30... when I first started reading I was like "WAHAAAA?!" but as I've read about it, I think it sounds pretty sweet, and I can do anything for 30 days! Thanks for all the info :P

Also, just call me Nicole :DB)

I just wish they made bigger squeezy containers for the baby food. Maybe a baby Paul Bunyon size? Yeah, that would work.

Crossfit (or HIIT or any other form of serious cross training) burns you in ways you never felt if you have always done traditional weight room or 30min cardio workouts. That burn is even greater when you cut all those foods that stick to your ribs, guts, love handles, acne, allergies...I am digressing.

I can eat before and after a workout without a question but baby food or premade smoothies are a great way to help fight off the energy issues during the workout and the dive afterwards as you fight to keep you car on the road without the use of your arms or legs.

Okay friends. I told you I was bad at this logging thing. Here's the truth. I've done a really bad job of meeting my goals. Well....except working out. I love me some CrossFit. Most of the time I miss breakfast, eat a huge lunch to make up for it, drink coffee all day, chug water and eat a handful of nuts before a workout.

Last W30, I rocked the eating part HARD. 3 meals, plenty of water, fat/protein/veggies in abundance. This time, it's a struggle. But that brings me to something I tell the repeat W30ers at CFS: They get harder. Sure, the cans and can'ts are completely clear after your first few times, but once you have a handle on that you have to actually start working on your habits. Your behaviors. Your priorities. You KNOW how good Good Food makes you feel, so there isn't the continual discovery payoff.

But you know what there IS? The chance to discover more about your LIFE with each W30. For example, this time I'm learning:

• I tell people all day long about how food should be a priority in their live. I make it a BIG priority in my kids' lives. But I don't make it a priority for me. I actually kind of ignore it. Eating this way, and allowing my body to burn fat as fuel, has made it really convenient for me to ignore the fact that I need to eat.
  • I definitely under-eat, and I think that leads to a general distractedness and low energy level (that I previously blamed on having 2 preschoolers).
  • I use food as a scapegoat. If my kids get the sniffles, I scrutinize their diets. If James is having a cranky moment, I ask what he ate that day. Food is important, but it is not the be-all end all.

So, with all that out there for me to work on, let's get back to this.

First - I roasted an entire turkey last night. I've done it before, but this time was the most grown up I've ever been about it. I only gagged twice! (I have issues with whole foul. And birds in general. They're SO GROSS.)

Breakfast - bacon and baked pumpkin (pumpkin, cinnamon, coconut milk and a couple of eggs. So, veggies at breakfast, check!

Lunch (gonna go get it right now) - Big salad of turkey, apple, some kinda greens, and avocado.

Water - 12 oz BEFORE my coffee this morning. I know, I'm awesome ;0)

First - I roasted an entire turkey last night. I've done it before, but this time was the most grown up I've ever been about it. I only gagged twice! (I have issues with whole foul. And birds in general. They're SO GROSS.)

This made me LOLZ because I totally feel the same way. The first time I tried to roast a chicken, I freaked out because there was still a feather on it! The hubs had to do it for me :ph34r:

Okay friends. I told you I was bad at this logging thing. Here's the truth. I've done a really bad job of meeting my goals. Well....except working out. I love me some CrossFit. Most of the time I miss breakfast, eat a huge lunch to make up for it, drink coffee all day, chug water and eat a handful of nuts before a workout.

Last W30, I rocked the eating part HARD. 3 meals, plenty of water, fat/protein/veggies in abundance. This time, it's a struggle. But that brings me to something I tell the repeat W30ers at CFS: They get harder. Sure, the cans and can'ts are completely clear after your first few times, but once you have a handle on that you have to actually start working on your habits. Your behaviors. Your priorities. You KNOW how good Good Food makes you feel, so there isn't the continual discovery payoff.

But you know what there IS? The chance to discover more about your LIFE with each W30. For example, this time I'm learning:

• I tell people all day long about how food should be a priority in their live. I make it a BIG priority in my kids' lives. But I don't make it a priority for me. I actually kind of ignore it. Eating this way, and allowing my body to burn fat as fuel, has made it really convenient for me to ignore the fact that I need to eat.
  • I definitely under-eat, and I think that leads to a general distractedness and low energy level (that I previously blamed on having 2 preschoolers).
  • I use food as a scapegoat. If my kids get the sniffles, I scrutinize their diets. If James is having a cranky moment, I ask what he ate that day. Food is important, but it is not the be-all end all.

So, with all that out there for me to work on, let's get back to this.

Breakfast - bacon and baked pumpkin (pumpkin, cinnamon, coconut milk and a couple of eggs. So, veggies at breakfast, check!

Lunch (gonna go get it right now) - Big salad of turkey, apple, some kinda greens, and avocado.

Water - 12 oz BEFORE my coffee this morning. I know, I'm awesome ;0)

Robin, I am bad at logging too. My intentions are good but I feel obligated and that takes the fun out of it for me. I love participating in random threads but logging and being in a specific group are just not something I excel at.

This last W30 that I did was much more about behaviors than it was about food. W30 food is easy for me. No TV or AB in bed is very hard and doesn't make me happy (I am so juvenile at times), but I have been sleeping so much better.

Congrats on the turkey (she says giggling). :)

Great assessment! Hey robin, I am crashing your thread to ask for your words of wisdom. The last few days I have been feeling shaky before meals. My meals have been balanced... I haven't had coffee in ages which is a usual trigger for the shaky effect, only two cups of tea a day. My question is, if I am fat adapted, why is my blood sugar dropping? Is it because I haven't eaten enough for my prior activity level and my body can't convert the fat fast enough to keep up? Or am I now seeing the sensitivity to caffeine from the tea? Or? Your thoughts would be great....

In the past if I was feeling low in energy and hungry I would have more fat, but I am not feeling this way really

Great assessment! Hey robin, I am crashing your thread to ask for your words of wisdom. The last few days I have been feeling shaky before meals. My meals have been balanced... I haven't had coffee in ages which is a usual trigger for the shaky effect, only two cups of tea a day. My question is, if I am fat adapted, why is my blood sugar dropping? Is it because I haven't eaten enough for my prior activity level and my body can't convert the fat fast enough to keep up? Or am I now seeing the sensitivity to caffeine from the tea? Or? Your thoughts would be great....

In the past if I was feeling low in energy and hungry I would have more fat, but I am not feeling this way really

It could be any of the above, honestly. The best way to figure it out is through experimentation. I'd start with the caffeine, as that's the most obvious option. If that doesn't change things, try adding in some starchies at meal 1 and 2. You may just need some more food in general.

Ha! There really isn't a recipe. I just took two ginormous chops, sprinkled them with salt, pepper, garlic and cloves and then laid thin apple slices over top. I cooked them at 350 for an hour, then I poured off the juice and apples and reduced them into a sauce.

I'm totally a fly by the seat of my pants cook.

I know nothing of the food sciences but what I do know is...stuff.

I have been eating pretty good but yesterday I think I tainted my diet with the sweet potatoes and ham at my works Christmas party. I think there was sugar in there...so it messed me up all yesterday and last night.

I am doing well on the water consumption but working out always seems to be crowded out by work and activities so I am actively working to keep it a part of my daily routine.

I am also guilty of not sticking to goals and using my baby beasts as the scapegoats for my tiredness, grouchiness....basically any -ness that makes me blah.

2 of my goals were to:

- eat at the table more...I am a counter eater and I of course blame this on the girls and having to prep food for them which doesn't have to be the case but now my Christmas cards have taken over the dining room table. I usually only eat breakfast at the table and this is because my plate is scorching hot right out of the Breville.

- another goal was to gain lean muscle mass over my Whole30 via a more intense lifting routine (I had a BIA done the day before I started my Whole30 so I could measure accurately). I have lifted once in this first week and I am blaming that on the husband being home after being away for so long (more excuses)

That said I have been 100% compliant, so has the husband and we successfully shifted the toddlers to fully paleo (with almost no drama) so I feel semi-successful at a few things but if I am going to set goals I should actually commit to them and make the effort. Awesome...I just talked myself into clearing off the dining room table...and those pork chops sound YUMMO! I love seat-of-the-pants cooking...that's just how I roll. I hate recipes bossing me around.

It actually takes me longer to cook with a recipe ;0) I prefer "guidelines", lol!

I've done a decent job of sticking to my goals over the weekend - a little less water than I should have had over the weekend. Boo.

Workouts...sigh...

The good news: I PR'd my deadlift on Friday at 235 lbs! Yahoooooo! I'm about 10 lbs away from double bodyweight (my goal)!

The bad news: The screwy shoulder thing I've got (which I've discovered is an irritated biceps tendon at the shoulder) has just been chronically inflamed lately. That means I need to take a few steps back, see a chiropractor and rehab this thing. Blaaaaargh. That also means no overhead lifts, kipping pullups, or anything else fun.

I'm going to use it as an opportunity to work on my squats, which will help me all around.

Thanks, friends!

My overhead lifts are not nearly as big - I've yet to clear bodyweight on those. I'm really hoping I can blame that on my shoulder ;) Deadlifts, pullups and burpees are where I have my mojo. Being 5'0 lends itself to those movements, for sure.

Food wise, I did a great job of staying on track. Big brunch with my MIL and SIL - Eggs, bacon, zucchini and peppers, melon, avocado. Almonds and raisins pre-workout. Dinner was - get this - apple-stuffed, balsamic-glazed, bacon-wrapped chicken. Holy. Smokes. It was SO good. And we had brussels sprouts to go with. My 3 YO ate more than a handful, which is a miracle, because she hated them until last night.

My workout was good. I'm taking it easy on my shoulder, which is SO hard, because I feel like I can't do ANYTHING (winge, whine, yadda yadda). So, I did this:

5 intervals on the rower - row 200 m, sprint 100 m, rest 1:00

4 rounds - 15 deadlift @115, 15 abmat situps

Archived