Taking the Whole 30 on the road

Kecia Lynn

DISCLAIMER: See my sig

Very long story short: I survived doing a day trip (where I ended up ordering a salad at a local restaurant after eating all the fruit in my lunch bag) but now I'm going to be gone for four days on a working vacation. Sadly it's not the kind that comes with a meal allowance provided by the company...

For the first time ever I've had to give serious consideration to what and how I'm going to eat while I'm away from home. For this reason I'm paying extra $ to stay in a hotel room/suite with a kitchen so that I can cook my own food. I figured the difference in costs between doing this and eating out was negligible, plus I can control what I eat. I'm not nearly as picky with my produce as I am with my meat and eggs, and while I could spend these four days as a vegan, I don't really want to.

For those who've traveled while on the Whole 30, what kinds of challenges, if any, did you encounter?

The challenge in traveling and eating good can be summed up with "Are you prepared?"

Slip ups and bad decisions can happen when you are caught in a situation without healthy food choices and you starving. So taking a little time before hand to plan ahead and prepare will go a long way for you.

I recommend reading Whole9's post What's in your cooler?

That's awesome that you will be staying in a hotel with a kitchen! The possibilities will be endless for you!

Hope that helps and let us know if you have anymore questions!

We do a ton of planning and prep ahead of time. Before we even get on the plane, I know where the nearest grocery stores are located (by the hotel, hopefully), and which restaurants in the area look like they serve food I can eat (Yelp is great for this). If you're cooking in your hotel room, make sure you pack a small amount of coconut oil or other form of cooking fat, as you'll not want to buy an entire jar every time you land somewhere new. Finally, we expect to eat boring-ish food when traveling - we often make do with a burger, no bun and side salad in tight spots. So make sure your variety and food quality are fabulous at home, to make up for the lack of nutrition (and taste/flavor) you'll get on the road.

Melissa

Emily, that's a really good idea! It's a 5-hour drive. I was thinking I'd need a cooler but maybe not if I freeze a meal in individual portion sizes beforehand...

Thanks for the tips, everyone! Hopefully others will share theirs.

I make fritattas or egg cupcakes with tons of veggies and protein in them and freeze them, they travel very well. I then eat them warmed in the oven or even at room temp if necessary with sliced avocado on the side... fat, protein and vegs all in there!

• 2 weeks later...

As nutty as it seems, if I'm driving for work travel I have a little bitty crock pot that I take. I take one of my chunks of meat from home and crock pot it up while I'm in the hotel. Also pre-prep your veggies at home. Process them for quick preparation in a hotel kitchen then put them into bags or containers and pack them in the cooler. On a recent hotel trip I had a skillet and made fajitas. Steak, onions, green and red peppers and guacamole and I was eating good! No limits. :)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I've seen those little crockpots...that's a great idea.

I had to cut the trip short so I just did the best I could with what I had...I still ended up having to eat out on a couple of occasions but I found healthy options (mostly veggies).

• 10 months later...

Archived