10/23 Start Date

Krystal1983

I will be starting my first whole30 on Monday 10/23. A friend of mine has done it one time before and looks amazing. She seems to be glowing. She is going to be starting again with me on Monday. In the last couple of months I’ve had really poor eating habits and clearly have an addiction to diet soda...I’m nervous to give it up but excited to see how my body will react (in the positive way). Does anyone have any tips for a newbie?! 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am new to Whole 30 as well and plan on starting on 10/23 as well.  I am very nervous about this as well.  The rest of my family will not be doing this with me, so it's going to be difficult to stay on track and not go off the plan.  I hope I can understand what it is that I am able to eat and not eat too.

I'll be starting my first Whole30 tomorrow as well! I've been planning on doing it for a long time now and finally decided to just go for it. I've been eating extremely poorly and feeling crappy as a result lately, and cannot wait for a reset. I'm not a great meal planner and I'm nervous about cravings, I tend to go for unhealthy snacks when I get hungry and haven't planned ahead for healthy options. Hopefully I can improve my meal planning skills though and manage to stay on track even when the carb and sugar cravings strike. 

Hi girls. 10/23, let's do it!

I did the Whole30 program in January for a month and it felt great. I learned to appreciate foods I normally didn't pay much attention to before and I felt very good when I went to the company party that had unlimited food and I didn't eat sweets and junk food until I felt sick. Controlling your food habits feels so good.

I've been thinking lately "I can't wait for January to come again". But then I realized I don't have to wait till January! So let's do this :)

Thanks everyone for the support. I feel you lizitapola...my bf doesn’t really understand but is supportive. My first incident was today when I walked into a coworkers’ office and saw candy and immediately went to grab some. I realized halfway through that I couldn’t have any and got a little bummed. Got over it though and so glad I did not mindlessly just eat the candy. 

Day 1 today for me as well. So far, so good. Although coconut milk in my coffee made me a tiny bit grumpy. :-) I think it will be a challenge to find the right balance of amounts. I was hungry between breakfast and lunch, so plan to eat a little heavier breakfast tomorrow. Better between lunch and dinner, but then maybe ate too big a meal for dinner and felt uncomfortably full (note to self: whole sweet potato too much.) Noticed sugar cravings late afternoon, but just gave it a nod, ignored it and moved on. How did everyone else feel about today? Let's do this!

Started tonight after hearing about my sister Vanessa, who slipped today (big glass of wine) but pledges to return to W30. So it looks like we're both starting at the same time. Hey big sis....I'm counting on you!! Also, asked my hubby to join. That should be easy since I pack his lunches & prepare his dinners, so he'll have to eat what I'm eating AND not drink what we don't have ...I didn't replenish our wine frig. That will be the hardest part for me since I love a glass of wine when I cook! 

On 10/23/2017 at 7:04 PM, Kelly J. said:

Noticed sugar cravings late afternoon, but just gave it a nod, ignored it and moved on.

When I have sugar cravings, I just eat a fruit. Unlike candy or chocolate, which just makes me crave for more and MORE sugar, an apple or a plum satiates me and brings me back on track. Plus, I know I can even have TWO apples if I want to :) 

Day 3!!! Still feeling great. Slept like a baby last night. Waking up earlier and earlier with much more energy. I’m tracking my food and the way I feel everyday. I tend to get off track with that as time progresses so my goal is to continue that every weekday. If I miss a weekend day that’s ok for now. Once again...I appreciate the support on her and hope everyone is doing great!!

Wow, snow! I guess it's time :-) I'm feeling pretty enthusiastic too. I'm eating more at meals and not getting bloated or hungry in-between. I was scared of breakfast, but think I got into the rhythm of saving a little tupperware with food from dinner to be re-heated for my breakfast. (Time in the morning is pretty constrained). So far, so good!

End of day 4 for me right now, and I'm feeling really empowered by the healthy eating and it feels awesome :) I do think I hit the 'Kill all the things' phase (from the W30 timeline) yesterday though. I was irritated by random small things and just felt generally annoyed with everything, which is very unusual for me. My poor dog may have been the unfortunate recipient of my anger when I got home from work, oops... 

Other than that, I'm eating loads and loving the food. I'm not a great cook and have been lazy about preparing anything other than very basic salads for a long time now, and I've loved how the W30 is challenging me to cook and actually enjoy it. I am concerned about getting bored long before the end of the 30 days, though, so I need to get ready by searching for more meal ideas. 

On my second, started on the 23rd as well (first was in March)! My wife does "Whole 30-ish" with me (complies at home, not at work). Was feeling great for the first three days, but started feeling pretty gross today, and am trying to figure out if it's a cold or not. My tip for newbies is don't over estimate your cooking skills! If you're trying to make gourmet meals multiple times a day you will burn out and hate it. The simple recipes in the back of It Starts with Food are your friend.

Archived