10/23 Start Date

Krystal1983

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 4 may have been the toughest so far. I definitely felt the kill all things phase at the end of day 3 and woke up feeling pretty “ugh” on day 4. Today, my body was just aching when I got up. I think it’s going to take time to flush this junk out of my system. However, I’m still having energy throughout the day and am waking up early. I have been super satisfied with the food I’ve been making too. I’m proud of myself for not cheating or slipping at all. I made this commitment and I know I can do ANYTHING for 30 days! Thanks everyone for your  posts. They have helped me through :) 

I'm feeling good, with the exception of a few times when I felt like a headache was coming on.  I quickly downed a large glass of water and felt better.  I did have a massage yesterday, so that definitely helped me loosen up and released a lot of tension.  I am planning to treat myself with some sort of pampering once a week while I stay compliant with W30: massage, manicure, pedicure, etc.  

Hang in there everyone!  We can do this!   

HI there I am also a newbie and I start 10/23. So far it's been ok. I have learned to drink black coffee. Also feeling good about choosing fruit instead of a granola bar. Been eating a a lot of vegetables in place of chips. So far so good. Scares me to read all the posts regarding bloating, crabbiness, etc. I did have a dull headache the first couple days but has passed. I am not good at sticking to something, I get bored. But I hope I can make it to day 30 with this one.

Hi all. Saturday night here and I have a couple of observations of how has been it for me so far. 

1) Weekends are HARD. We have a weekly outing with my husband and we always do the same thing: dinner/drinks. Since I wasn't going to be able to drink or eat, we went to a movie instead. Afterwards we went to a bar and he had a beer. I had no desire or craving for it. In fact it makes me feel super empowered to be able to say no to alcohol, but I could notice he wasn't enjoying himself as he usually does :-/ 

2) We had a lunch today at a house of a friend from India. She had done all this amazing dishes (including dessert) and I couldn't eat any! :o I felt quite bad that I hadn't told her beforehand and I really couldn't bring myself to explain to her the whole thing at that moment. So I ate one dish that seemed the most compliant possible (I didn't want to interrogate her in each specific thing, since there were several people). I think that the social aspect of eating might be the hardest for me so far. In principle I think I might have acted non-compliantly? I did have to tell her (and everyone else)  to not serve me dessert. My explanation of 'I'm not doing sugar for a month' seemed totally reasonable and suddenly everyone started saying 'please serve me a smaller portion'. Hahahaha...

3) We have a halloween party tomorrow. I'm pretty sure this will be ok. We have lots of candy at home and I haven't felt tempted at all.

I have 3-5 work dinners in the next month so I think I will do my research before going to these places. If everything else fails, I'll still feel like a 'kind of did' whole30 this month, but restart in January (find it impossible to deal w it on the holidays, especially since I'm not in charge of the cooking).

Any thoughts/suggestions/criticisms?

THANKS!

That’s tough!! I’m very impressed that you went to a bar and weren’t tempted.

I may have that same thing today. I am really into football and my friends and I have a fantasy league and go watch games at the sports bar every Sunday...so that’ll be my first big outing.

What a good alternative for you and your husband to go to the movies (yet I would’ve been tempted by the smell of the popcorn). 

Since this is my first time doing whole30, I’m a newbie and don’t know what works and what doesn’t necessarily but one thing I’ve tried to do is tell everyone what I’m doing. I have done this at work and in my social life. Some people think I’m crazy and some know what it is and get why I’m doing it. The good news in your situation is that Indian food in general is pretty compliant depending on what you get. Indian food often uses ghee (clarified butter) rather than regular butter with dairy. So if you tried to pick something that seemed the most compliant, you may have been just fine! 

I agree weekends are hard. Yesterday I was tempted by pizza that the kids ate after their fall festival...I did it (not even a bite) but I wasn’t too happy about it lol. I just kept myself busy in the kitchen cooking and trying new things. 

Hi fellow start date 10/23 friends!  Read the email today with the suggestion about checking in with the forum, so here I am. Day 7 and it is going pretty well overall. I agree with @lizitapola that the weekend has been the hardest. We eat out a lot on the weekends generally, and often with cocktails involved. My husband is supportive but is not doing Whole 30 himself. Going out to eat was hard, but it helped that we had a good waiter on Friday night. When I started explaining what I wanted, he asked me is I was doing Whole 30. :-) When I said yes, he helped me with some suggestions. My husband got a similar meal is solidarity, but did have a glass of wine. When he is drinking wine, it isn't a big deal for me because I have been avoiding wine for a while because it causes me headaches. A little harder time finding lunch out on Saturday when we were running errands. I would have said I hadn't experienced "kill all the things" except that when I took my first sip of coffee this morning with coconut milk, I had a fleeting thought of throwing it at the plate glass window in front of me. LOL! In fact, the coffee in the morning without flavored creamer is still the hardest thing. Overall, I feel good. Much more steady energy levels, not hungry at all. In fact, in some ways the LACK of appetite has been the weirdest thing. Having trouble also with finding vegetables that sound good first thing in the morning. What veggies are you guys eating for Meal 1?

We got this! One week down!

Week 1 down!!!! Only 3 more to go!

My ups have been I haven’t cheated at all! Go me! I have tried new recipes. Veggies in my fridge aren’t going bad because I’m using them constantly. I haven’t weighed myself at all, even when tempted  and know that no one will know (but I’d know and be disappointed in myself).

My downs have been not tracking my food every week day :/. I stopped around midweek. But today starts another week, so I’m going to try again! 

This forum has been super helpful to me and I appreciate all of you that post on here. Keeps me going :)  

Hi everyone! Day 10? 

So much pizza craving today! Yesterday night I was just about to quit, but I didn't.... BUT I had a dream in which I was eating lots of cream of wheat and loving it! Hahaha. I had compliant M1 and M2 today though.... M3 will be harder as we're going out w people from work.

Wish me luck! We can do this!

So proud that we've all made it to Day 10!  That is a major accomplishment as we are almost 1/3 of the way through.  

I need to get all of the Halloween candy out of the house.  No kids at home, so that won't be hard.  I told my husband to take what he wants to work and I am donating the rest to an organization that sends it to the troops who are deployed.  

Getting lots of good support from friends.  No one has tried to sabotage me, so that's been helpful.  

I hope you all are doing well!  Stay strong!  

This morning I woke up earlier than usual and didn't get enough sleep (only about 6 hours). I was thinking about chocolate cheesecake and Halloween candy all day. I was in such a bad mood that I couldn't understand how I could avoid sweets all these 10 days.

Bottom line: make sure you're rested and you don't make this harder than it already is for you. If you're tired and cranky, you won't have the strength to avoid that delicious food you've been dreaming about these past two weeks. We gotta keep our spirit strong so that we can do this till the end. I know I'll get my 8 hours of sleep back tonight!

(PS I didn't get a cheesecake. I did eat more than usual and a bunch of raisins to stunt my cravings, but at least I stayed away from chocolate, which is a big win for me personally.)

Day 12.  I had some big time cravings last night.  We ate at a Mexican restaurant and I was tempted by the chips, and especially the margaritas.  But I stayed strong.  The waitress was very helpful when I told her about my list of off-limits foods.  I had a shrimp taco and a steak taco served in lettuce wraps with some guacamole.  Yummy!  

Looking forward to doing some major food prep this weekend.  Planning and preparation are getting me through this journey!  

Have a great weekend everyone!  I'd love to hear how you're doing.  

I started on the 23rd, too!

My family isn't doing this with me, so I'm cooking six meals a day: three for them, three for me. Last night was our neighborhood HOA meeting at my house complete with sliders and chips. And today is my daughter's 12th birthday party with a sundae bar. It's like a non-compliant food fest around here! 

No cheats and I'm eating well anyway. I haven't had any negative effects yet, so maybe my timeline is off? Idk, but so far so good!

@Jenney welcome! My family isn’t doing it either. You definitely have a ton of non-compliance around you- good for you for not cheating. I’m pretty sure my timeline is off as well. I think I’m a little behind the normal timeline. Such as right now I’m feeling the “pants don’t fit” phase which is frustrating but I know it’ll change so I’m keeping my head up. Anyways, that phase was supposed to happen a few days ago or a week ago or something so I figured I’m just a little behind. I’m curious if maybe your not having negative side effects because you were a pretty healthy eater prior to starting? 

4 hours ago, Krystal1983 said:

@Jenney welcome! 

I’m curious if maybe your not having negative side effects because you were a pretty healthy eater prior to starting? 

I wasn't eating very Whole30-y, but I wasn't eating processed fast food, either. I don't really like sweets, I always drink my coffee black, I cook from scratch... But I cook *pizza* and *cinnamon rolls* from scratch, so, while it's not processed, it's still pizza and cinnamon rolls!

I am actually hiding in my room right now because while I was serving at the sundae bar, my thumb went right into the caramel sauce I'd just made. I washed it off instead of licking it off, but *dang*, I love caramel sauce! That and the Reese's may prove my undoing!

Hi all! Here we are on Day 13. I'm hanging in there but we are headed to see a movie tonight and I'm a little grumpy about no popcorn.  <_< Overall, I'm feeling pretty good. A couple of days ago, Day 11 I think, I felt awful. No energy at all, workout felt like torture, generally drug myself through the day. Woke up feeling better yesterday, but not sure what that was about. I am getting bored with making the same things over again, so hoping to mix it up a little this week and try something new. Would love to hear your favorites!

I made this breakfast casserole this week and it was helpful in getting those veggies in for breakfast. Maybe some of you will find it helpful!  https://crazytogether.com/easy-delicious-breakfast-saved-whole-30/

Glad you're feeling better, Kelly J! Now we're halfway through and hopefully no more energy slumps like that.

The breakfast casserole sounds good; makes me wish I had a microwave so I could reheat some all week!  Did you try the turkey-apple burgers with pesto from the Instagram feed? I'm making those today because I'm ready for something different, too!

How is everybody else doing? Halfway point, peeps!!!

Hi Hi everyone. How're y'all doing? I'm still excited to keep going... in spite of having fallen off the wagon! :( I ate a bunch of non-compliant things during the last week. Not as much on purpose as in social situations and couldn't/didn't want to explain myself or  be hungry.

I'm still going on though (whenever I can I'm eating whole30) and I'll keep it going for 30 days. I plan to restart on January and do it for real. 

Hope you're all doing great! 

Day 20!  Staying on plan and feeling great. Starting to think about what I will do on Day 31. What will I eat?  How am I going to handle Thanksgiving?  I don't want to overindulge, but I do want to have a few special treats. I'm thinking that I will probably start another Whole30 right after Thanksgiving. 

How's everyone else doing?  

I’m doing well too. I haven’t been checking in as much which might attribute to my grumpiness last night lol. I got a little bitter that I am still a week from finishing but in the grand scheme....that’s not very long at all. This coming weekend is going to be my “Friendsgiving “ party. It will be tempting but I am glad at that point I’ll only have a few days left so that’ll motivate me to stay on track. I’m just going to make a bunch of whole30 compliant meals and bring them so I don’t feel deprived. What was really awesome yesterday was my friend brought food over for football and she made sure to have an option for me. That was very sweet to have that support. Cheers to you all and the last week! 

Archived