Sept 18 start date reintro

dmrob2009

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

joining this group too! Thanks for creating it! 

I'll be starting my reintro on Thursday with dairy-- paneer for dinner and maybe some cheese with breakfast. Maaaaaybe some ice cream?! It definitely feels like a slippery slope. I haven't read that far into FFF either, so maybe that will help readjust my thoughts around eating these "off-limits" foods. 

7 minutes ago, erinelizabeth said:

joining this group too! Thanks for creating it! 

I'll be starting my reintro on Thursday with dairy-- paneer for dinner and maybe some cheese with breakfast. Maaaaaybe some ice cream?! It definitely feels like a slippery slope. I haven't read that far into FFF either, so maybe that will help readjust my thoughts around eating these "off-limits" foods. 

Glad you're here!  I'm really looking forward to a little  red wine tomorrow!  

I'll keep an eye on this thread because I like you guys. :-) But my current plan is to eat Whole30 through at least Sunday and then maybe even through the end of the month. At the latest, I'll start reintroduction on November 1 so I have it all out of the way  before the Thanksgiving holiday. 

I look forward to hearing about your Food Freedom Adventures! Stay safe out there! LOL. 

Good morning, all!  

It's hard to believe that reintro is here!  We're definitely doing the quick roll and getting everything over with as fast as our bodies will allow for it.  If the waiting time between each item reintroduced takes longer than 2 days, so be it. 

Over the next couple of weeks, we'll be reintroducing alcohol, dairy, gluten free grains, sweet treats and legumes, albeit everyone is sort of doing their own thing.  Each family member has their own plan for reintro that works in conjunction with our Whole 30 meal plan.  The only thing we'll be doing together, as a family, will be sweet treats on Sunday.  That will be fun, as I have lots of ideas for that one.

Looking forward to small amounts of red wine and gluten-free beer today... and maybe some vanilla extract thrown into the mix somewhere for flavor.  

Have fun!  :)

Toast....glorious toast!  Good morning everyone.  I started my day by making Potato Patties with Shredded Beef and Poached Eggs with Salsa Verde (It's from the Whole 30 Cookbook and uses leftovers from the slow cooker Italian Beef, so it's pretty easy, and very elegant for a Wednesday morning!), but my reintro item was grain in the form of whole wheat toast.  Put a little Ghee on it and it was very good.  I had missed it for sure.  This was a VERY filling breakfast.  I'm going to put a post in the "Success Stories" thread, outlining my SRV's, but one I'll share here is I've learned to cook much better and how to do more things.  I've always been pretty good on the grill, and my inside claims to fame were spaghetti sauce and chili.  Everything else was hit or miss.  I've learned a TON from Whole 30 and my kitchen confidence has grown in leaps and bounds.  Might not sound like much, but this morning was the first time I ever made a poached egg.  I screwed up the first one, but the next two came out perfect!  This mornings breakfast was as good or better than anything I could have had out (and was 100% Whole 30 compliant to boot!).  Not sure what I'm having for lunch, I made my wife a turkey sandwich, and I may do that as well.  Tonight is whole wheat pasta with meat sauce.  I'm running out in a minute to grab a loaf of rustic Italian bread from a local bakery to have with it.  Everything other than the bread and pasta is W30 compliant for tonight.  We will go back to 100% W30 until Saturday and see how it goes.  

Have a great day everyone!

Mike

1 hour ago, Mike5858 said:

Toast....glorious toast!  Good morning everyone.  I started my day by making Potato Patties with Shredded Beef and Poached Eggs with Salsa Verde (It's from the Whole 30 Cookbook and uses leftovers from the slow cooker Italian Beef, so it's pretty easy, and very elegant for a Wednesday morning!), but my reintro item was grain in the form of whole wheat toast.  Put a little Ghee on it and it was very good.  I had missed it for sure.  This was a VERY filling breakfast.  I'm going to put a post in the "Success Stories" thread, outlining my SRV's, but one I'll share here is I've learned to cook much better and how to do more things.  I've always been pretty good on the grill, and my inside claims to fame were spaghetti sauce and chili.  Everything else was hit or miss.  I've learned a TON from Whole 30 and my kitchen confidence has grown in leaps and bounds.  Might not sound like much, but this morning was the first time I ever made a poached egg.  I screwed up the first one, but the next two came out perfect!  This mornings breakfast was as good or better than anything I could have had out (and was 100% Whole 30 compliant to boot!).  Not sure what I'm having for lunch, I made my wife a turkey sandwich, and I may do that as well.  Tonight is whole wheat pasta with meat sauce.  I'm running out in a minute to grab a loaf of rustic Italian bread from a local bakery to have with it.  Everything other than the bread and pasta is W30 compliant for tonight.  We will go back to 100% W30 until Saturday and see how it goes.  

Have a great day everyone!

Mike

Oh, that makes me look forward to grain reintro!  Sounds like a delicious breakfast, Mike!:D

Good morning everyone.  Well, day 1 of the reintro was interesting.  I chose to start with gluten containing grains.  I had whole wheat bread with breakfast and lunch, and whole wheat pasta and Italian bread for dinner.  Somewhere along the way it didn't totally agree with me.  I felt a little bloated after dinner last night (to be fair, I over ate, and ate too fast, things I need to work on) and later in the night I was actually having some stomach cramps.  Not terribly severe, but I had not experienced these during my W30.  I'm not 100% convinced it's all because of reintroducing grains, but it's certainly a watch out, as I still feel "off" this morning.  It's back to W30 compliant meals for a few days.  My wife, although not having the same issues with grain I did, said she did feel a bit bloated.  She said what she really felt was guilty for some reason.  We had been so good, and were both feeling so much better, that it felt "weird" to go back, at least a little, to our old ways.  We talked a lot about it, and agreed we need to figure this out.  As I was continuing to read "Food Freedom Forever" last night, a lot of these topics were covered (eating too fast, making decisions, feeling of guilt after the program is over).  I guess I should have started the book a lot sooner!  LOL  I highly suggest the book.  It's almost like Melissa is talking to me.  It's exactly what I've been looking for in strategy to improve my relationship with food.  Although she talks about doing multiple W30's if you need to, that's not my goal.  It's good to know that it's an option, but I would much prefer to do a "mini reset" now and then (two weeks or less).  We will see what works for us I suppose.  How did everyone else's reintro go?

Have a great day!

Mike

So yesterday my husband and I reintroduced alcohol )gluten-free beer, to be exact).  I had 3 over the course of several hours and can honestly say that I felt so sick last night that I threw up :P.  I don't know if it was the beer (should have done the wine instead) or the alcohol, in general.  All that I know is beer is not. my. friend.  My husband had a little more than I did and was feeling ill last night, as well.  Our take-home from this is that 1.) alcohol is going to require further investigation.  2.) I think I've developed a permanent aversion to beer of any kind:blink:. 3.) Less is more.

The kids are not awake yet so I have nothing to report about their reintro thus far.  

We were compliant otherwise and will be back on strict Whole 30 for two days.  Alcohol was originally going to be a two-day reintro for us because of events scheduled, but that went out the window for me as of last evening.  

@Mike5858 I hope you and your wife get to feeling better today.  Just a heads up, it was probably the gluten that is making y'all feel bloated.  Sourdough (the fermentation process renders the bread naturally gluten-free) and gluten-free breads, in general, are a good alternative to avoid the inflammation, which wheat is know for.  I truly believe you can still enjoy your grains from time to time without feeling super bloated.  Gluten makes me feel absolutely terrible.  

59 minutes ago, dmrob2009 said:

So yesterday my husband and I reintroduced alcohol )gluten-free beer, to be exact).  I had 3 over the course of several hours and can honestly say that I felt so sick last night that I threw up :P.  I don't know if it was the beer (should have done the wine instead) or the alcohol, in general.  All that I know is beer is not. my. friend.  My husband had a little more than I did and was feeling ill last night, as well.  Our take-home from this is that 1.) alcohol is going to require further investigation.  2.) I think I've developed a permanent aversion to beer of any kind:blink:. 3.) Less is more.

The kids are not awake yet so I have nothing to report about their reintro thus far.  

We were compliant otherwise and will be back on strict Whole 30 for two days.  Alcohol was originally going to be a two-day reintro for us because of events scheduled, but that went out the window for me as of last evening.  

@Mike5858 I hope you and your wife get to feeling better today.  Just a heads up, it was probably the gluten that is making y'all feel bloated.  Sourdough (the fermentation process renders the bread naturally gluten-free) and gluten-free breads, in general, are a good alternative to avoid the inflammation, which wheat is know for.  I truly believe you can still enjoy your grains from time to time without feeling super bloated.  Gluten makes me feel absolutely terrible.  

Thanks dmrob2009, and back at you, hope you're feeling better.  Wow, alcohol is next up for reintro on Saturday for us.  Hope it's not that bad!  I was surprised at my reaction to the gluten, but then again, maybe I shouldn't have been as a pasta meal was never followed by much more than sitting around by me!  I now wonder if I missed bread or the ease of making a sandwich.  In any case, gluten, for now has been put into the "is it worth it?" file.  Maybe special occasions, but I don't like the way I feel today, that's for sure.  It's getting better, but the only difference between now and two days ago is the gluten.  Portion control would probably help too, since I was eating like a man going to the electric chair until I caught myself! :lol:

18 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

Thanks dmrob2009, and back at you, hope you're feeling better.  Wow, alcohol is next up for reintro on Saturday for us.  Hope it's not that bad!  I was surprised at my reaction to the gluten, but then again, maybe I shouldn't have been as a pasta meal was never followed by much more than sitting around by me!  I now wonder if I missed bread or the ease of making a sandwich.  In any case, gluten, for now has been put into the "is it worth it?" file.  Maybe special occasions, but I don't like the way I feel today, that's for sure.  It's getting better, but the only difference between now and two days ago is the gluten.  Portion control would probably help too, since I was eating like a man going to the electric chair until I caught myself! :lol:

Thanks!

It's so easy to over-do it when you're in the moment!  LOL. I can totally relate.

1 hour ago, dmrob2009 said:

Thanks!

It's so easy to over-do it when you're in the moment!  LOL. I can totally relate.

Yeah like you @dmrob2009 it was easy to over do it on the wine and not feel so great in the morning.  And it didn't take much.  Good to have a few days to get back on track and then introduce legumes on Saturday.  I'm going to wait for dairy and gluten until the end as I suspect bigger reactions from those.  Sorry @Mike5858 you and your wife feel so crummy!

7 minutes ago, Svmomma said:

Yeah like you @dmrob2009 it was easy to over do it on the wine and not feel so great in the morning.  And it didn't take much.  Good to have a few days to get back on track and then introduce legumes on Saturday.  I'm going to wait for dairy and gluten until the end as I suspect bigger reactions from those.  Sorry @Mike5858 you and your wife feel so crummy!

@Svmomma I have further observations about alcohol reintro.  We all know, from reading the book and also from other sources, that drinking alcohol is like pouring sugar down your throat. Having said that, in addition to feeling dehydrated, my cravings for bread are through the roof! I've not partaken, but the desire to do so is insane.  Anything... just anything... to make the the nauseous feeling go away.  So, I ate some bacon and a leftover baked sweet potato for breakfast.  The thought of eggs makes my stomach turn currently.  Also, zero motivation to get anything done.  All that from 3 stinkin' beers, and gluten free, at that!:wacko:

I'm doing much better now, it was just a rough few hours this morning.  Thanks for the well wishes, and I hope everyone is on the rebound soon.  This reintro is like a cruel joke!  LOL  Work hard for 30 days and come out feeling great, only to wreck it in one day!  Lesson learned for me.  I learned to really enjoy the W30 compliant meat sauce I make over spaghetti squash, no need for pasta.  I think going forward, my choice when it comes to pasta (one of my all time favorite foods, by the way), will be to only indulge in good restaurants.  Fortunately we have several here in St. Louis.  I truly believe this (pasta) might turn into a 2-3 times a year thing.  I'm willing to do that, if I can feel the way I did two days ago, forever!  The great pizza experiment will be coming in a week or two, and we will see how that goes.  Being honest with myself, I have to say that getting a pizza is at least 80% of the time, because I'm too lazy to go to the store or cook.  Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's, that sort of thing.  Now that I've found I can make a healthy meal pretty quickly, I need to re-think my actions.  A fabulous, one of a kind family owned pizzaria pizza, is one thing to be treasured.  I can give up the "McPizza" I eat too often.  Thanks for reading my rant, I'll let you know how that works out in a week or so (it will combine dairy and gluten, so I need to figure that out).  Tonight is a nice steak ka-bob on the grill and some roasted sweet potatoes.

Hi everyone.  I have been out of touch since early Wed am, as I've been traveling.  Sounds like some lessons being learned, I'm actually becoming less interested in reintroducing things over the past day or two. I'm wondering if it is worth it!  I left early Wed to drive the 12 hours or so to my mother's house.  I ate a couple slices of bacon and some eggs scrambled in ghee at home, and had grapes, a couple apples, La Croix and some almonds for the car.  Did okay all day, but ran into a significant traffic issue that put me about three hours behind schedule.  When I realized I wouldn't arrive till midnight or later, I decided to stop around dark and drive the last four hours this morning.  I checked into a motel, then walked across the street to the chain restaurant where I figured I could get take out and go back to my room.  I ended up sitting at the bar while waiting, so I decided on the fly to add back wine.  I had been planning to do gluten free grits here at mom's house first, but got a glass of wine last night instead.  Ordered grilled salmon, roasted brussels sprouts and a plain baked potato, took them back to the motel and ate (with ghee from the car on the potato) and slept well.  I felt good this morning, drove the rest of the way, and explained the eating to my mom when I got here.  She is fine with it, I knew there wouldn't be an issue, she eats like a bird (all gluten free, she is true celiac, biopsy proven) and I do the cooking when here.  I had a  boiled egg and cantaloupe for breakfast at the motel, with black coffee, but by the time I got here mid-day my stomach was starting to rumble.  Still is, but I'm thinking I overdid the fruit yesterday, as I ate a large bag of grapes in the car, something I normally don't eat so much of.  

I'm up in the middle of the night, once more, but I think because I went to bed pretty early, and it is just the stress of a ton of things I have to do here the next few days before driving back Monday.  I had a very eye opening trip today to the supermarket, which made me realize how hard this would be for so many people, and how lucky I've been.  I surveyed my mom's fridge and went out mid-afternoon to pick up some supplies for the next few days.  I had brought with me ghee and almond butter, but figured I could pick up the makings for the weekend otherwise.  I live in Tampa, a very large city that is extremely diverse, and I can get almost anything I want in the stores there, from Costco to Publix to WF.  My mom lives in a middle sized city in Tennessee.  I first went to the little supermarket near my mom's house, where I could not find one thing I wanted to eat.  I left there and went to the really big, "nice", extremely well stocked supermarket in town, figuring I'd pay more for "fancy" things like good oils and such, but I could find what I wanted.  Not.  I wanted salmon fillets (I'm salmon addicted, seriously) and there was literally one package of two fillets in the whole store that was not farmed, and very little even of that.  Grabbed that, and went looking for some other fish.  No non-farmed shrimp, finally found one package of frozen wild caught mahi, and that was it.  They did have some grass fed ground beef, although I passed on it, but the poultry selection was similar to the salmon.  Some puny avocados for two and three times what I pay at home (expected that), few pre-packaged organic salad mixes that were vastly higher $ than I'm used to, and some other veggies for salad.  One little 4 oz can of avocado oil for ten bucks, and some pasture raised eggs... I spent $70 for enough to last me two days, maybe, and the selection of offerings was miniscule.  If I still lived here (I left in 2001) I don't know if I could have gotten through the past month unless I mail ordered everything.  Tomorrow, we are going to mom's fav little "natural food" store, which I've always pooh-poohed as a place for packaged gluten free processed food, but now I'm interested to see if they have a better selection of at least things like oils, maybe a Primal Kitchen mayo (I make my own, but mom doesn't have a proper blender), coconut aminos, really anything that will make cooking here a bit easier for the next few days.  I take my hat off to those of you who have done this for 30 days living in places with similar limitations.  It would have made the challenge so much harder, and I'm realizing I'm very lucky.  

The wine last night didn't seem to bother me, it was just one glass, and tonight I had the salmon and salad with olive oil and wine vinegar, so I'm on w30 again tomorrow.  If the stomach rumbling is gone, I'll do gluten free grain Sat with grits in am.  My sister, niece and mom all want to go to "our" fav Mexican restaurant Sat.  I know the menu backward, it's been here for decades and we've spent nearly every special day there in the past.  I can have the tortilla chips if I'm doing grain, pass on the cheese dip but okay with salsa and guac, and I can get fajitas and eat with a fork off the skillet instead of tortillas.  It's how I eat them anyway.  Sunday will be a test, afterward, and I'll stay back on w30 until I get back home Monday night.  I'm taking it very slow.  

I have not had time to go through the actual NSV check list, but my list in my head is:  almost no carb cravings, a new thing for me.  Better sleep by a long shot.  Got the Nexium monkey off my back, no more heartburn.   Much less stress, based on the probably not at all scientific measure of the little sensor on my phone, but it now measures "low" all the time, when previously it was always "high".  Markedly less tired during the day, and I realized last night I've learned to tell the difference between tired and sleepy.  Last night, I was sleepy, got up early, drove all day, but physically still had energy.  Big difference for me.  I did lose 6 pounds, but my clothes seem looser than that, which I think reflects the fact that I'm exercising more and better lately.  All in all, so far so good.  Your experiences with beer (I hate it, so no prob) and gluten are very helpful, and enlightening.  I hope everyone is feeling better.  

How is everyone doing today guys? I've been logging in here to see how you are all doing and ye are amazing - the level of awareness you have around the different food groups and reintros is fantastic! Also, isn't it interesting how most people introduced something different (grains; alcohol; soda) and the reaction was all different (but the same!)

Hope the difficult spell of reintro has passed for most of you and welcome back to the W30 over the next few days!

Archived