Sept 18 start date reintro

dmrob2009

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, CorgiLover said:

Hi everyone.  I have been out of touch since early Wed am, as I've been traveling.  Sounds like some lessons being learned, I'm actually becoming less interested in reintroducing things over the past day or two. I'm wondering if it is worth it!  I left early Wed to drive the 12 hours or so to my mother's house.  I ate a couple slices of bacon and some eggs scrambled in ghee at home, and had grapes, a couple apples, La Croix and some almonds for the car.  Did okay all day, but ran into a significant traffic issue that put me about three hours behind schedule.  When I realized I wouldn't arrive till midnight or later, I decided to stop around dark and drive the last four hours this morning.  I checked into a motel, then walked across the street to the chain restaurant where I figured I could get take out and go back to my room.  I ended up sitting at the bar while waiting, so I decided on the fly to add back wine.  I had been planning to do gluten free grits here at mom's house first, but got a glass of wine last night instead.  Ordered grilled salmon, roasted brussels sprouts and a plain baked potato, took them back to the motel and ate (with ghee from the car on the potato) and slept well.  I felt good this morning, drove the rest of the way, and explained the eating to my mom when I got here.  She is fine with it, I knew there wouldn't be an issue, she eats like a bird (all gluten free, she is true celiac, biopsy proven) and I do the cooking when here.  I had a  boiled egg and cantaloupe for breakfast at the motel, with black coffee, but by the time I got here mid-day my stomach was starting to rumble.  Still is, but I'm thinking I overdid the fruit yesterday, as I ate a large bag of grapes in the car, something I normally don't eat so much of.  

I'm up in the middle of the night, once more, but I think because I went to bed pretty early, and it is just the stress of a ton of things I have to do here the next few days before driving back Monday.  I had a very eye opening trip today to the supermarket, which made me realize how hard this would be for so many people, and how lucky I've been.  I surveyed my mom's fridge and went out mid-afternoon to pick up some supplies for the next few days.  I had brought with me ghee and almond butter, but figured I could pick up the makings for the weekend otherwise.  I live in Tampa, a very large city that is extremely diverse, and I can get almost anything I want in the stores there, from Costco to Publix to WF.  My mom lives in a middle sized city in Tennessee.  I first went to the little supermarket near my mom's house, where I could not find one thing I wanted to eat.  I left there and went to the really big, "nice", extremely well stocked supermarket in town, figuring I'd pay more for "fancy" things like good oils and such, but I could find what I wanted.  Not.  I wanted salmon fillets (I'm salmon addicted, seriously) and there was literally one package of two fillets in the whole store that was not farmed, and very little even of that.  Grabbed that, and went looking for some other fish.  No non-farmed shrimp, finally found one package of frozen wild caught mahi, and that was it.  They did have some grass fed ground beef, although I passed on it, but the poultry selection was similar to the salmon.  Some puny avocados for two and three times what I pay at home (expected that), few pre-packaged organic salad mixes that were vastly higher $ than I'm used to, and some other veggies for salad.  One little 4 oz can of avocado oil for ten bucks, and some pasture raised eggs... I spent $70 for enough to last me two days, maybe, and the selection of offerings was miniscule.  If I still lived here (I left in 2001) I don't know if I could have gotten through the past month unless I mail ordered everything.  Tomorrow, we are going to mom's fav little "natural food" store, which I've always pooh-poohed as a place for packaged gluten free processed food, but now I'm interested to see if they have a better selection of at least things like oils, maybe a Primal Kitchen mayo (I make my own, but mom doesn't have a proper blender), coconut aminos, really anything that will make cooking here a bit easier for the next few days.  I take my hat off to those of you who have done this for 30 days living in places with similar limitations.  It would have made the challenge so much harder, and I'm realizing I'm very lucky.  

The wine last night didn't seem to bother me, it was just one glass, and tonight I had the salmon and salad with olive oil and wine vinegar, so I'm on w30 again tomorrow.  If the stomach rumbling is gone, I'll do gluten free grain Sat with grits in am.  My sister, niece and mom all want to go to "our" fav Mexican restaurant Sat.  I know the menu backward, it's been here for decades and we've spent nearly every special day there in the past.  I can have the tortilla chips if I'm doing grain, pass on the cheese dip but okay with salsa and guac, and I can get fajitas and eat with a fork off the skillet instead of tortillas.  It's how I eat them anyway.  Sunday will be a test, afterward, and I'll stay back on w30 until I get back home Monday night.  I'm taking it very slow.  

I have not had time to go through the actual NSV check list, but my list in my head is:  almost no carb cravings, a new thing for me.  Better sleep by a long shot.  Got the Nexium monkey off my back, no more heartburn.   Much less stress, based on the probably not at all scientific measure of the little sensor on my phone, but it now measures "low" all the time, when previously it was always "high".  Markedly less tired during the day, and I realized last night I've learned to tell the difference between tired and sleepy.  Last night, I was sleepy, got up early, drove all day, but physically still had energy.  Big difference for me.  I did lose 6 pounds, but my clothes seem looser than that, which I think reflects the fact that I'm exercising more and better lately.  All in all, so far so good.  Your experiences with beer (I hate it, so no prob) and gluten are very helpful, and enlightening.  I hope everyone is feeling better.  

Way to go, @CorgiLover!  You are rockin' the traveling thing!  I'll be doing the same in Dec and I'm a bit scared of it.  I live in a small rural town and our little local grocery store is extremely overpriced with not a lot of options.  We have to drive 30 minutes to our local co-op, so we have to meal plan carefully.  Glad you were able to make it work!!!

Good morning, all!  Happy Friday!

Yesterday was rough  but I started feeling better late afternoon.  We went ahead, much to my dismay (today) and continued our plan to reintroduce sulfite-free cabernet last night.  Here is what I've learned...

1.)  Wine does not make me feel as bad as beer but it still makes me feel bad.

2.) When you don't drink very often, you feel like crap when you do (or it's possible that drinking regularly makes feeling crappy the norm).

3.)  Drinking is not even going to be a weekend thing for me. Special occasions only.

4.)  One drink seems to be my sweet spot.  Two gives me a hangover and three makes me puke.  I'm a cheap date, LOL. 

My son reintroduced gluten free grains (organic popcorn, organic lime tortilla chips and sourdough toast).  I asked him if he feels sluggish, bloated, unmotivated, achy, etc and he said maybe a lite sluggish and unmotivated.  The true test is behavior, which really wasn't bad yesterday.  

My daughter reintroduced dairy.  She had whole milk and cheese and is adamant the she is not experiencing any ill effects from it, but the 'tude tells me otherwise.  She just loves her dairy and is afraid of losing it.  LOL. I get it.  

Aside from the two day reintro, we've been compliant.  We are 100% on the w30 wagon until Sunday, at which time we are reintroducing paleo sweet treats, stevia soda and dark chocolate.  

Feeling sorta puny today, but my brain is happy because I feel like I've learned some valuable lessons with alcohol and even about the kids' reintros.

Have a good weekend, all!  Good luck with your next reintro item!  

6 hours ago, CorgiLover said:

Hi everyone.  I have been out of touch since early Wed am, as I've been traveling.  Sounds like some lessons being learned, I'm actually becoming less interested in reintroducing things over the past day or two. I'm wondering if it is worth it!  I left early Wed to drive the 12 hours or so to my mother's house.  I ate a couple slices of bacon and some eggs scrambled in ghee at home, and had grapes, a couple apples, La Croix and some almonds for the car.  Did okay all day, but ran into a significant traffic issue that put me about three hours behind schedule.  When I realized I wouldn't arrive till midnight or later, I decided to stop around dark and drive the last four hours this morning.  I checked into a motel, then walked across the street to the chain restaurant where I figured I could get take out and go back to my room.  I ended up sitting at the bar while waiting, so I decided on the fly to add back wine.  I had been planning to do gluten free grits here at mom's house first, but got a glass of wine last night instead.  Ordered grilled salmon, roasted brussels sprouts and a plain baked potato, took them back to the motel and ate (with ghee from the car on the potato) and slept well.  I felt good this morning, drove the rest of the way, and explained the eating to my mom when I got here.  She is fine with it, I knew there wouldn't be an issue, she eats like a bird (all gluten free, she is true celiac, biopsy proven) and I do the cooking when here.  I had a  boiled egg and cantaloupe for breakfast at the motel, with black coffee, but by the time I got here mid-day my stomach was starting to rumble.  Still is, but I'm thinking I overdid the fruit yesterday, as I ate a large bag of grapes in the car, something I normally don't eat so much of.  

I'm up in the middle of the night, once more, but I think because I went to bed pretty early, and it is just the stress of a ton of things I have to do here the next few days before driving back Monday.  I had a very eye opening trip today to the supermarket, which made me realize how hard this would be for so many people, and how lucky I've been.  I surveyed my mom's fridge and went out mid-afternoon to pick up some supplies for the next few days.  I had brought with me ghee and almond butter, but figured I could pick up the makings for the weekend otherwise.  I live in Tampa, a very large city that is extremely diverse, and I can get almost anything I want in the stores there, from Costco to Publix to WF.  My mom lives in a middle sized city in Tennessee.  I first went to the little supermarket near my mom's house, where I could not find one thing I wanted to eat.  I left there and went to the really big, "nice", extremely well stocked supermarket in town, figuring I'd pay more for "fancy" things like good oils and such, but I could find what I wanted.  Not.  I wanted salmon fillets (I'm salmon addicted, seriously) and there was literally one package of two fillets in the whole store that was not farmed, and very little even of that.  Grabbed that, and went looking for some other fish.  No non-farmed shrimp, finally found one package of frozen wild caught mahi, and that was it.  They did have some grass fed ground beef, although I passed on it, but the poultry selection was similar to the salmon.  Some puny avocados for two and three times what I pay at home (expected that), few pre-packaged organic salad mixes that were vastly higher $ than I'm used to, and some other veggies for salad.  One little 4 oz can of avocado oil for ten bucks, and some pasture raised eggs... I spent $70 for enough to last me two days, maybe, and the selection of offerings was miniscule.  If I still lived here (I left in 2001) I don't know if I could have gotten through the past month unless I mail ordered everything.  Tomorrow, we are going to mom's fav little "natural food" store, which I've always pooh-poohed as a place for packaged gluten free processed food, but now I'm interested to see if they have a better selection of at least things like oils, maybe a Primal Kitchen mayo (I make my own, but mom doesn't have a proper blender), coconut aminos, really anything that will make cooking here a bit easier for the next few days.  I take my hat off to those of you who have done this for 30 days living in places with similar limitations.  It would have made the challenge so much harder, and I'm realizing I'm very lucky.  

The wine last night didn't seem to bother me, it was just one glass, and tonight I had the salmon and salad with olive oil and wine vinegar, so I'm on w30 again tomorrow.  If the stomach rumbling is gone, I'll do gluten free grain Sat with grits in am.  My sister, niece and mom all want to go to "our" fav Mexican restaurant Sat.  I know the menu backward, it's been here for decades and we've spent nearly every special day there in the past.  I can have the tortilla chips if I'm doing grain, pass on the cheese dip but okay with salsa and guac, and I can get fajitas and eat with a fork off the skillet instead of tortillas.  It's how I eat them anyway.  Sunday will be a test, afterward, and I'll stay back on w30 until I get back home Monday night.  I'm taking it very slow.  

I have not had time to go through the actual NSV check list, but my list in my head is:  almost no carb cravings, a new thing for me.  Better sleep by a long shot.  Got the Nexium monkey off my back, no more heartburn.   Much less stress, based on the probably not at all scientific measure of the little sensor on my phone, but it now measures "low" all the time, when previously it was always "high".  Markedly less tired during the day, and I realized last night I've learned to tell the difference between tired and sleepy.  Last night, I was sleepy, got up early, drove all day, but physically still had energy.  Big difference for me.  I did lose 6 pounds, but my clothes seem looser than that, which I think reflects the fact that I'm exercising more and better lately.  All in all, so far so good.  Your experiences with beer (I hate it, so no prob) and gluten are very helpful, and enlightening.  I hope everyone is feeling better.  

You bring up some great points.  It can be tough to stay on track when things are not readily available or cost effective.  One thing I will be working on in the coming weeks, is sourcing meats locally.  Mail order meat is just silly expensive, and I refuse to do it.  I've got a connection out in western Missouri, and I'm going to look into buying grass fed beef in bulk.  Chicken (free range) is not as bad, and  pastured eggs seem to be to be on sale now and then.  Fish is an issue living here in St. Louis.  Wild salmon is ok priced, but I wish there was more variety.  I'm learning to make more meals with shrimp, as that's a good option here.  Salt water fish is just crazy expensive here in the heartland, and I just can't eat Tilapia or catfish.

Nice list of NSV's Corgilover!  I am impressed with how you made your road trip work.  Just takes a little work and seems to be well worth it!

7 minutes ago, dmrob2009 said:

Good morning, all!  Happy Friday!

Yesterday was rough  but I started feeling better late afternoon.  We went ahead, much to my dismay (today) and continued our plan to reintroduce sulfite-free cabernet last night.  Here is what I've learned...

1.)  Wine does not make me feel as bad as beer but it still makes me feel bad.

2.) When you don't drink very often, you feel like crap when you do (or it's possible that drinking regularly makes feeling crappy the norm).

3.)  Drinking is not even going to be a weekend thing for me special occasions only.

4.)  One drink seems to be my sweet spot.  Two gives me a hangover and three makes me puke.  I'm a cheap date, LOL. 

My son reintroduced gluten free grains (organic popcorn, organic lime tortilla chips and sourdough toast).  I asked him if he feels sluggish, bloated, unmotivated, achy, etc and he said maybe a lite sluggish and unmotivated.  The true test is behavior, which really wasn't bad yesterday.  

My daughter reintroduced dairy.  She had whole milk and cheese and is adamant the she is not experiencing any ill effects from it, but the 'tude tells me otherwise.  She nust loves her dairy and is afraid of losing it.  LOL. I get it.  

Aside from the two day reintro, we've been compliant.  We are 100% on the w30 wagon until Sunday, at which time we are reintroducing paleo sweet treats, stevia soda and dark chocolate.  

Feeling sorta puny today, but my brain is happy because I feel like I've learned some valuable lessons with alcohol and even about the kids' reintros.

Have a good weekend, all!  Good luck with your next reintro item!  

Great info and awareness here!  Sounds like drinking for you is going to be like pasta for me, "special occasions" or as they say in the "Food Freedom Forever" book, when I decide the consequences are worth it.  Glad to hear you're doing better.  I feel 100% better today after going back to W30 compliant yesterday.  We will be trying wine on Saturday.  Nothing special, just the same Merlot we always enjoyed.  I hope it goes well, as the weekend drink and relaxation that goes with it, is something I have really missed.  

Have a great weekend everybody!

Mike

On 10/20/2017 at 5:39 AM, SineadMon said:

How is everyone doing today guys? I've been logging in here to see how you are all doing and ye are amazing - the level of awareness you have around the different food groups and reintros is fantastic! Also, isn't it interesting how most people introduced something different (grains; alcohol; soda) and the reaction was all different (but the same!)

Hope the difficult spell of reintro has passed for most of you and welcome back to the W30 over the next few days!

I'm finally feeling better after my miserable first reintro experience.  It was worth it though. I learned a lot about myself and what my body can tolerate, in the way of alcohol... not much.  LOL How's your last week going, @SineadMon?

Good morning!  Happy Saturday and good luck with you're next reintro item!  Our next reintro will be tomorrow.  The whole fam is reintroducing natural sweeteners and chocolate.  We are all rather looking forward to that.  I purchased  a paleo baking book a few years ago that I'm just itching to try out.  I've linked it below for those who are interested.  

https://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Sweets-Treats-Seasonally-Lifestyle/dp/159233556X/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1508590037&sr=8-1

At any rate, feeling much better this morning after having been completely compliant yesterday.  Thank goodness!  

Have a wonderful weekend, all!  

Good morning!  I'm okay too.  I have only added wine so far.  I had some Wed evening, and had a rumbly stomach Thurs am which I thought more likely due to the big bag of grapes I ate while driving all day.  Must have been, because I felt fine yesterday, and had wine again last night to check.  Slept fine and feel good this morning.  Today has been my day to add back non-gluten grains.  I was planning grits this morning, and tortilla chips (and maybe rice) at Mexican restaurant this afternoon.  I'm going to hold off on the grits, as we may bump the restaurant to tomorrow.  I'm still at my mother's house, going home tomorrow, so I won't do any more reintro until after I'm back home.  

I had gotten Food Freedom Forever, but didn't start reading it until last night.  Although the beginning is a reinteration of what we've always been through, it is a nice reminder.  Got a busy day planned helping my mom with some things here, so I may get through a little more of it tonight, but not sure.  I am a cookbook addict, so I have a fair number of paleo cookbooks, and also gluten free cookbooks because my mom hasn't been able to eat it for nearly 30 years.  Baking doesn't really appeal to me, as I don't have a sweet tooth at all and no habit of bread, etc due to my mom.  I would, however, like to learn things like tortillas/wraps, croutons for salad, and bread-ish for an occ BLT.  My mom buys frozen gluten free bread and waffles, but I read the labels and they have sugar, soy oils and such.  I've seen grain free wraps on amazon, made with coconut fiber I think, but ridiculously expensive.  Plans for the future....  Hope everyone has a good day!  

22 hours ago, CorgiLover said:

Good morning!  I'm okay too.  I have only added wine so far.  I had some Wed evening, and had a rumbly stomach Thurs am which I thought more likely due to the big bag of grapes I ate while driving all day.  Must have been, because I felt fine yesterday, and had wine again last night to check.  Slept fine and feel good this morning.  Today has been my day to add back non-gluten grains.  I was planning grits this morning, and tortilla chips (and maybe rice) at Mexican restaurant this afternoon.  I'm going to hold off on the grits, as we may bump the restaurant to tomorrow.  I'm still at my mother's house, going home tomorrow, so I won't do any more reintro until after I'm back home.  

I had gotten Food Freedom Forever, but didn't start reading it until last night.  Although the beginning is a reinteration of what we've always been through, it is a nice reminder.  Got a busy day planned helping my mom with some things here, so I may get through a little more of it tonight, but not sure.  I am a cookbook addict, so I have a fair number of paleo cookbooks, and also gluten free cookbooks because my mom hasn't been able to eat it for nearly 30 years.  Baking doesn't really appeal to me, as I don't have a sweet tooth at all and no habit of bread, etc due to my mom.  I would, however, like to learn things like tortillas/wraps, croutons for salad, and bread-ish for an occ BLT.  My mom buys frozen gluten free bread and waffles, but I read the labels and they have sugar, soy oils and such.  I've seen grain free wraps on amazon, made with coconut fiber I think, but ridiculously expensive.  Plans for the future....  Hope everyone has a good day!  

Good morning and happy Sunday!

Today is my family's reintro for sweeteners.  We'll begin the day by having a paleo pumpkin bundt cake with a scramble and maple blueberry sausage. With lunch, we will all have a stevia soda and then I'm making paleo smores to have with dinner.  The only items that we are having with sugar added is the sausage and chocolate and those are minimal amounts.  I'll let you all know how it goes. 

@Mike5858 how did the alcohol reintro go for you and your wife yesterday?  @CorgiLover how did the grains make you feel?

Have a good rest of your weekend!

Reintro legumes easy peasy.  Had apples & peanut butter for breakfast, falafel for lunch (made way too much that no one else is going to eat and I can't have any more of), and white bean/chicken chili for dinner.  Energy is great as I was able to do an extended run today and felt great.  Next up non-gluten grains on Tuesday.  

1 hour ago, Svmomma said:

Reintro legumes easy peasy.  Had apples & peanut butter for breakfast, falafel for lunch (made way too much that no one else is going to eat and I can't have any more of), and white bean/chicken chili for dinner.  Energy is great as I was able to do an extended run today and felt great.  Next up non-gluten grains on Tuesday.  

Awesome!  Legumes are last on the list for us. 

So far the natural sweeteners and miniscule amounts of sugar are not a problem in terms of the way I feel.  They do make me crave more though.  Sweeteners, even those of the more healthy variety, combined with paleo flours... recipe for awakening of the sugar dragon.  LOL

Good morning!

A recap of yesterday:

We had paleo pumpkin bundt cake (dates as the only sweetener) with maple vanilla coconut cream and blueberry maple brats for breakfast.  Then for lunch we all drank a Stevia soda, ate some chocolate and had an otherwise Whole 30 meal.  For dinner, we had paleo waffles with maple syrup and bacon. Then, because the addition of sweeteners, we had cravings for some more of the pumpkin bundt cake with more maple vanilla coconut cream.  

In terms of the way I feel, not bad physically.  I did notice a little tightness in the knee that was giving me problems before.  I'm not sure if that could be attributed to the sweet stuff, as it hadn't been in my body for long.  The next couple of days should reveal more, in regards to that.  I was definitely having an off day mentally.  I was depressed, unmotivated and downright lazy.  I had to will myself to do chores.  The kids developed a bad attitude right after eating the waffles.  It was the sugar rush from the maple syrup and then subsequent drop-off.

The verdict... desserts and sweets, limited basis.

How's everyone else doing?

Good Morning everyone!  Sounds like we had interesting weekends.  Saturday was our first foray into alcohol.  No problems to report!  We normally drink vodka tonics for cocktails, but I tried vodka soda, to avoid the sugar in the tonic.  No dice, didn't like it, so I poured it out and made a vodka tonic.  We both had one on Saturday and one on Sunday (not a perfect reintro I know).  All our meals this weekend were W30 compliant.  I primed and painted a fireplace over the course of Saturday and Sunday, and stripped wall paper in between, so I'm a little sore.  I think all the bending, stooping, kneeling, etc. had a lot more to do with it than two vodka tonics, so, for now, I'll call the alcohol reintro a success.  We will be limiting our intake though.  No more everyday happy hour, just when we feel like it on weekend.  I didn't join the gym as I had hoped, but I'm thinking maybe later this week.  I've just had so much to do around the new condo that I didn't want to have something interfere with getting it ready.  We live here ok, but there is a bathroom that I'm working on redoing, and we still have a lot of boxes lying around.  Not to mention I need to put handles on all the kitchen drawers and cabinets, put up curtains, (all of which need my darling bride to make a decision on (SOON please! :lol:), etc, etc.  We would like to have a happy hour/ open house for our friends in a few weeks, so I need to keep on it.  The cool thing about planning the party is that WE get to chose the snacks and appetizers.  Our friend will be Whole 30 compliant as far as food, whether they know it our not!  LOL.

Sounds like you've got a handle on the Paleo baking thing dmrob2009.  I'm going to try that at some point.  I saw a recipe for Paleo pumpkin cookies that sounded good (and seasonal), now I've just got to remember where I saw it!  

Svmomma, it's great to hear your energy is staying up and that you're smashing your workouts.  I'm hoping the same holds true for me once I get back in the gym.

CorgiLover, congrats on the successful reintro of wine.  You've done terrific on this whole program considering all the travel and not being at home.  I'm really enjoying "Food Freedom Forever".  Although it starts slow and is a little boring at the beginning for those of use who read the W30 book and have done the program, it gets much better.

Have a great day everyone!

Mike

24 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

Good Morning everyone!  Sounds like we had interesting weekends.  Saturday was our first foray into alcohol.  No problems to report!  We normally drink vodka tonics for cocktails, but I tried vodka soda, to avoid the sugar in the tonic.  No dice, didn't like it, so I poured it out and made a vodka tonic.  We both had one on Saturday and one on Sunday (not a perfect reintro I know).  All our meals this weekend were W30 compliant.  I primed and painted a fireplace over the course of Saturday and Sunday, and stripped wall paper in between, so I'm a little sore.  I think all the bending, stooping, kneeling, etc. had a lot more to do with it than two vodka tonics, so, for now, I'll call the alcohol reintro a success.  We will be limiting our intake though.  No more everyday happy hour, just when we feel like it on weekend.  I didn't join the gym as I had hoped, but I'm thinking maybe later this week.  I've just had so much to do around the new condo that I didn't want to have something interfere with getting it ready.  We live here ok, but there is a bathroom that I'm working on redoing, and we still have a lot of boxes lying around.  Not to mention I need to put handles on all the kitchen drawers and cabinets, put up curtains, (all of which need my darling bride to make a decision on (SOON please! :lol:), etc, etc.  We would like to have a happy hour/ open house for our friends in a few weeks, so I need to keep on it.  The cool thing about planning the party is that WE get to chose the snacks and appetizers.  Our friend will be Whole 30 compliant as far as food, whether they know it our not!  LOL.

Sounds like you've got a handle on the Paleo baking thing dmrob2009.  I'm going to try that at some point.  I saw a recipe for Paleo pumpkin cookies that sounded good (and seasonal), now I've just got to remember where I saw it!  

Svmomma, it's great to hear your energy is staying up and that you're smashing your workouts.  I'm hoping the same holds true for me once I get back in the gym.

CorgiLover, congrats on the successful reintro of wine.  You've done terrific on this whole program considering all the travel and not being at home.  I'm really enjoying "Food Freedom Forever".  Although it starts slow and is a little boring at the beginning for those of use who read the W30 book and have done the program, it gets much better.

Have a great day everyone!

Mike

Good to hear, @Mike5858.  Our week is about to look like your busy weekend.  Glad I have energy and my motivation is getting better the further away from my last sweet treat that I get.  We reintroduce GF grains on Wednesday.  My son will be doing dairy.  Wish us luck!!

Hi all! So great to hear your reintro stories... I'm still here. Day 29 for me!!! I am so proud that I made it through the weekend! I was in really bad form on Thursday/Friday and my poor boyfriend was getting the brunt of it. I just wanted something "nice" and all of the W30 flavors were getting so bland and all. He was so sweet, he organized a massage for me in my local town and I felt so good after it that it completely changed my mood. We went to a football game yesterday and that was hard too as some friends of ours were visiting and they got the popcorn, hot dogs and beer during the game. I had some nuts with me that helped me through, but it was tough. Still, I'm almost there. 

I haven't planned reintro yet as I think I'll keep going until later this week. For me, I think I'll probably transition more to a paleo based food freedom but definitely going to mindfully reintroduce foods and see how i feel. I don't have any desire for alcohol or breads right now, and I know if I got half a chance I'd start to try paleo desserts and natural sugars - but I don't want to do that right now. Nice to know how you felt after your attempt with them @dmrob2009. I might try legumes at the weekend, after hearing your success @Svmomma.. but I think I have a good midweek schedule now so I'll keep going until the weekend - you on day 38 @kirbz??

@SineadMon Yup, Day 38 for me! Now that my fiance is doing this with me, we've been trying lots of fun new recipes so I'm still going strong. I love to fantasize about making Paleo carrot cake or banana bread or brownies, but not enough to stop Whole30. My current plan is to go through the end of the month, end at a Whole45, and reintroduce before Thanksgiving so I give the proper time and care to that! 

Great stories everyone! It's fun to hear about your successes and your learnings! 

Gluten, ugh.  Guts Lose Under The Evil Nvasion (Sorry, I couldn't come up with a better N.)  I did well over the weekend, went out for Mexican as planned Sat night.  I had fajitas, eaten straight off the skillet with a fork.  Added back non-gluten grains that day, so had tortilla chips with guac and a few forkfuls of rice.  No problems, felt good, nothing Sunday.  I had some grits with ghee Sunday morning, again no problems.  I drove home yesterday, normally a 12 hour trip but turned into 16 hours or so due to a wreck and several hour traffic jam halfway through.  I intended to continue w30 till back home, and I had grapes, veggies, prepackaged guac and La Croix in the car.  Last night, with about four hours left to drive, I decided to get off the road and have a real meal.  I wasn't that hungry (more about that in a sec) but felt I should have a real meal and wanted out of the car for a bit.  Let me tell you, the food choices just off the interstate in south Georgia are not healthy.  I ended up at a Cracker Barrel, thinking I could get something plain (I actually thought eggs, as I thought they did breakfast all the time.  Wrong.)  After perusing the menu, I decided on the fly to add back gluten and see what happens.  I got cornmeal breaded shrimp and fried okra (knowing the cornmeal breading would have flour) and a baked potato, and yes I did consider the fact that the shrimp and okra probably fried in ick oil.  Ate the shrimp, maybe a quarter of the okra, and part of the potato, and within an hour back on the road I felt yuk.  Stomach started rumbling, queasy.  I got home around midnight and went straight to bed.  This morning, I feel queasy, my gut is rumbling more, and overall I just don't feel well (though I did sleep fine.)  Has to be the gluten.  I think I'm done with it, for real.  Now, a few days of w30 again (thankfully back home in my own kitchen) and I will decide what else I want to add back.  If.  :)

OK, how about this:  Guts Lose Under The Evil Nasty?  I forgot, but about the hunger.  I'm finding I don't get hungry like I used to.  I'm thinking that what I used to think was hunger was often cravings?  Same with tired and sleepy, I am starting to think that what I used to think was tired, or hungry, was boredom?  Anyone else noticed this?  I can go from breakfast to mid-afternoon without feeling really hungry.  New for me.  Yesterday evening, I was driving on the 12th hour or so, and wondered if I should stop and drive the rest of the way this morning.  That was about the time I decided to stop and eat something.  I kind of stepped back and asked myself how tired?  Realized I wasn't sleepy, nor physically tired, I was just bored with driving all day and looking for a way to break the boredom.  Changed radio stations and kept going, was a little eye-opening that I could take boredom and easily change to hungry or tired.  Might be analyzing myself too much....  :)  

23 minutes ago, CorgiLover said:

OK, how about this:  Guts Lose Under The Evil Nasty?  I forgot, but about the hunger.  I'm finding I don't get hungry like I used to.  I'm thinking that what I used to think was hunger was often cravings?  Same with tired and sleepy, I am starting to think that what I used to think was tired, or hungry, was boredom?  Anyone else noticed this?  I can go from breakfast to mid-afternoon without feeling really hungry.  New for me.  Yesterday evening, I was driving on the 12th hour or so, and wondered if I should stop and drive the rest of the way this morning.  That was about the time I decided to stop and eat something.  I kind of stepped back and asked myself how tired?  Realized I wasn't sleepy, nor physically tired, I was just bored with driving all day and looking for a way to break the boredom.  Changed radio stations and kept going, was a little eye-opening that I could take boredom and easily change to hungry or tired.  Might be analyzing myself too much....  :)  

@CorgiLover I think the whole point to all of this is to erase, add and analyze. As a result, we begin to change our relationship with food.  This is a win for you.  Seriously.  You did such a good job while traveling and if you were going to reintroduce gluten, then on the road where there weren't too many more options was a good place to do it.  Congrats on the new found knowledge that gluten doesn't agree.  It really doesn't agree with anyone after it has been purged from the body for extended periods of time.  Even better, congrats on recognizing the correlation between boredom, tiredness and perceived hunger.  Big, big win for you, as that's what this program is all about!!!;)

32 minutes ago, CorgiLover said:

Great job analyzing yourself in my opinion!  Your experiences are very closely mirroring mine.  I had a bad experience with gluten as well.  I found it somewhat shocking, as i never realized how what I perceived as some of my favorites (pasta and Italian bread) would do such a number on me.  The tired or hungry thing = boredom is a revelation as well.  It helps me to hear that someone else is feeling this way too.  As I continue to read "Food Freedom Forever", making these choices should not be seen as punishment or having to "give something up", but just rather a simple "is it worth it"?  I can eat pasta if I don't mind laying on the couch the rest of the night.  That's not what I want my life to look like moving forward.

I bought the cookbook "Well Fed 2" yesterday (they didn't have volume one at the bookstore I went to), and the recipes look really cool.  I'm looking forward to trying some.  I made the sausage and mushroom fritata from the W30 cookbook this morning and it was a huge hit with my bride and I.  She was getting really tired of my vegetable egg scrambles, and so was I.

Have a Great Day everyone!

Mike

PS:  I'm glad to hear the grits worked out for you Corgi.  You had mentioned that a few times. ;)

Good morning, all!  My family is about dead center of reintro.  I'm about to lose my kids' and husbands' patience, so we are switching gears a bit.

First off, what I've learned about myself thus far is that while I feel much, much better, I still feel hungry between meals.  This is largely due to the fact that I'm leptin resistant (the hormone that tells your body to quit eating and start moving) and I'm in dire need of a leptin reset.  I've attached a link, in case you're curious.

https://wellnessmama.com/5356/fix-your-leptin/

Having said that, here's the plan...

I made kalua pig last night feom the Nom Nom Paleo Ready or Not! cookbook last night (which was absolutely delicious) and sprinkled cheese on the kids' portion.  Hubs and I had ours with cabbage.  We will see how the kids' systems respond, but we do not plan on eating copious amounts of cheese anymore, due to the fact that it contains sugar in the form of lactose.  As far as grains are concerned, We will be adding some sourdough bread into the mix today to see how our bodies respond.  This is yet another thing that we won't be added back in large quantities, as flours trigger dopamine release which is bad news for food addicts like myself (the addition of natural sugars had this affect on me... triggered thoughts of making poor eating decisions).  Gluten is something we already know we have no desire to eat, as it does make all of us feel miserable.  Finally, legumes will be eaten sparingly in things like chili and maybe a natural p, b and j for the kids on occasion, as we already know they tend to cause gastric distress (particularly the beansB)).

So, having said all that, I will begin my Bright Line Eating on Monday. My husband will be eating primally and the kids will be eating a modified primal diet (more starches added to their diet) starting Monday, as well.  In the meanwhile, we will be Whole 30 compliant, with an exception of GF grain experimentation.  I'll be staying on here for a while, as I find this forum to be extremely motivating.  Thanks to all of you for your support over the last month+!!!

3 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

Great job analyzing yourself in my opinion!  Your experiences are very closely mirroring mine.  I had a bad experience with gluten as well.  I found it somewhat shocking, as i never realized how what I perceived as some of my favorites (pasta and Italian bread) would do such a number on me.  The tired or hungry thing = boredom is a revelation as well.  It helps me to hear that someone else is feeling this way too.  As I continue to read "Food Freedom Forever", making these choices should not be seen as punishment or having to "give something up", but just rather a simple "is it worth it"?  I can eat pasta if I don't mind laying on the couch the rest of the night.  That's not what I want my life to look like moving forward.

I bought the cookbook "Well Fed 2" yesterday (they didn't have volume one at the bookstore I went to), and the recipes look really cool.  I'm looking forward to trying some.  I made the sausage and mushroom fritata from the W30 cookbook this morning and it was a huge hit with my bride and I.  She was getting really tired of my vegetable egg scrambles, and so was I.

Have a Great Day everyone!

Mike

PS:  I'm glad to hear the grits worked out for you Corgi.  You had mentioned that a few times. ;)

Sounds like your really doing well with the Food Freedom Forever thus far.  Congrats to you and your wife!!! That's awesome!

21 hours ago, SineadMon said:

Hi all! So great to hear your reintro stories... I'm still here. Day 29 for me!!! I am so proud that I made it through the weekend! I was in really bad form on Thursday/Friday and my poor boyfriend was getting the brunt of it. I just wanted something "nice" and all of the W30 flavors were getting so bland and all. He was so sweet, he organized a massage for me in my local town and I felt so good after it that it completely changed my mood. We went to a football game yesterday and that was hard too as some friends of ours were visiting and they got the popcorn, hot dogs and beer during the game. I had some nuts with me that helped me through, but it was tough. Still, I'm almost there. 

I haven't planned reintro yet as I think I'll keep going until later this week. For me, I think I'll probably transition more to a paleo based food freedom but definitely going to mindfully reintroduce foods and see how i feel. I don't have any desire for alcohol or breads right now, and I know if I got half a chance I'd start to try paleo desserts and natural sugars - but I don't want to do that right now. Nice to know how you felt after your attempt with them @dmrob2009. I might try legumes at the weekend, after hearing your success @Svmomma.. but I think I have a good midweek schedule now so I'll keep going until the weekend - you on day 38 @kirbz??

Last day, @SineadMon !!! How excited are you?!

Archived