Sept 18 start date reintro

dmrob2009

928735032-tony-robbins.jpg

Part of BLE is to uplift yourself by doing things like having a gratitude journal that you write in each night and doing some I inspirational reading and meditation each morning.  So if y'all don't mind, I'd like to post an inspirational quote each day.  I like Tony Robbins, though this pic isn't the best.  LOL

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also doing "one meal, one day at a time."  I was also a bit hungry yesterday, but had a very long workday so didn't have a lot of time to think about it.  I got home late, and had to get up early, so just went to bed.  Today, I had 2 eggs, 4oz cooked oatmeal and 2 kiwis for breakfast.  For lunch: 4oz chicken breast, 6oz zucchini sautéed with a minced shallot in 1T olive oil, and 2 kiwis.  Dinner will be 4oz grilled lean ground beef, 6oz of the same sautéed zucchini, and 8oz of salad with 1T oil/vinegar dressing.  It does take planning, but making it automatic should be so much easier to put a meal together.  I already "cook ahead", ie. make several servings at once so I can eat for a few days.  I baked several chicken breasts a few days ago, this morning I sautéed several zucchini at one time and weighed out into containers.  Yesterday, peeled and sliced a bag of kiwis, the next few days will be peaches that I will fix and weigh out tonight. 

Before I started this, on w30, I was putting almond milk with a pinch of pumpkin pie spice in my coffee.  Not bad.  Haven't tried it in black coffee.... 

2 hours ago, dmrob2009 said:

928735032-tony-robbins.jpg

Part of BLE is to uplift yourself by doing things like having a gratitude journal that you write in each night and doing some I inspirational reading and meditation each morning.  So if y'all don't mind, I'd like to post an inspirational quote each day.  I like Tony Robbins, though this pic isn't the best.  LOL

Please do post quotes.  I love them.  I'm a big Tony Robbins fan.  I'm not sure who said it, but one of the simplest, yet most true things I've heard is, "Nothing changes, if nothing changes".

2 hours ago, CorgiLover said:

I'm also doing "one meal, one day at a time."  I was also a bit hungry yesterday, but had a very long workday so didn't have a lot of time to think about it.  I got home late, and had to get up early, so just went to bed.  Today, I had 2 eggs, 4oz cooked oatmeal and 2 kiwis for breakfast.  For lunch: 4oz chicken breast, 6oz zucchini sautéed with a minced shallot in 1T olive oil, and 2 kiwis.  Dinner will be 4oz grilled lean ground beef, 6oz of the same sautéed zucchini, and 8oz of salad with 1T oil/vinegar dressing.  It does take planning, but making it automatic should be so much easier to put a meal together.  I already "cook ahead", ie. make several servings at once so I can eat for a few days.  I baked several chicken breasts a few days ago, this morning I sautéed several zucchini at one time and weighed out into containers.  Yesterday, peeled and sliced a bag of kiwis, the next few days will be peaches that I will fix and weigh out tonight. 

Before I started this, on w30, I was putting almond milk with a pinch of pumpkin pie spice in my coffee.  Not bad.  Haven't tried it in black coffee.... 

Struggling with the black coffee.  I so love mine with heavy cream!  Glad you're hanging in there, @CorgiLover.  Having hunger pangs, myself. :wacko: Here is a website with some BLE meal ideas.  

https://katiesbrightkitchen.com/2017/04/01/bright-line-eating-in-the-woods/

Good morning, everyone.  Halloween proved to be more difficult than I'd expected, but I'm hanging in there!

Today's menu:

Breakfast- 4 oz cooked gf oatmeal, 4 oz plain yogurt, 6 oz blueberries, 1 oz raw pumpkin seeds

Lunch- 4 oz chicken, 1 apple,  1 tbsp mayo, 6 oz raw veggies

Dinner- 4 oz roasted skinless chicken, 14 oz squash, cauli and salad (not sure how much of each yet)

I was longing for cream in my coffee this morning, but I stuck with black.   One day at a time, right?  Trying to get used to feeling hungry.  It's going to be like that for a while.

Inspiration for the day...

Happy Wednesday!  

@dmrob2009 That is so incredible... Thanks for sharing. 

Good for you with sticking to you plan. Halloween was hard for me too, and I don't have kids, trick or treaters or a new eating plan to manage. You should feel incredibly proud of yourself and use that as the fuel to keep you going. For me, keeping busy helps.. so focusing on things that just distract you from the moment and get you through a craving or a particular point of feeling low. Yesterday, I found that was logging on here and just reading some of our previous posts. 

My tummy is still quite off. I felt over the weekend that it must have been a bug or something I ate, but now I'm wondering if it is just my body adjusting to eating this way?! I'm not sure.. I still think there was something off and maybe I had a bit of a stomach cold/flu, but I think the dramatic change in my eating habits must be making some kind of different to my digestion and overall gut health. I ordered some probiotics yesterday anyway and hope that will help!

9 minutes ago, SineadMon said:

@dmrob2009 That is so incredible... Thanks for sharing. 

Good for you with sticking to you plan. Halloween was hard for me too, and I don't have kids, trick or treaters or a new eating plan to manage. You should feel incredibly proud of yourself and use that as the fuel to keep you going. For me, keeping busy helps.. so focusing on things that just distract you from the moment and get you through a craving or a particular point of feeling low. Yesterday, I found that was logging on here and just reading some of our previous posts. 

My tummy is still quite off. I felt over the weekend that it must have been a bug or something I ate, but now I'm wondering if it is just my body adjusting to eating this way?! I'm not sure.. I still think there was something off and maybe I had a bit of a stomach cold/flu, but I think the dramatic change in my eating habits must be making some kind of different to my digestion and overall gut health. I ordered some probiotics yesterday anyway and hope that will help!

It could have been the program.  I think it takes a while for your system to accept the change.  On the other hand, maybe you were ill and are having troubles getting over it without your usual coping foods.  Hang in there and feel better soon!

I'm hanging in there too.  I didn't really have any issue with Halloween, as I've said here (prob many times) I just do not have a sweet tooth.  I worked 8-8 yesterday, so knew I wouldn't get home until at least 8:30pm, if we didn't have any last minute people running in.  I actually got home just before 9, so anyway I didn't get candy or expect any trick or treaters by the time I got home.  There were a few kids on the sidewalk (we have tons of kids in our neighborhood) but they were older and seemed to be walking home together from somewhere.  I briefly considered picking up some leftover/on sale candy today or tomorrow (days off) to put in freezer for next year, and then realized that is a trap that I don't need to set up, even if I don't much care for candy.  Why have it in the house?

I'm not really having a problem with the BLE, today was true test because it's the first day I didn't work while on it.  It is also the first day I haven't been really hungry.  I did make a big mistake this morning, I had an Ezekiel sprouted grain English muffin for my breakfast grain (they weight almost right at 4oz.)  The only bready thing I've always liked is an occ English muffin, so when I saw them in the store (and they don't list flour, although do list sprouted wheat as ingredient) I thought I'd try.  Despite my awful experience with gluten last week.  Nope.  My stomach has been rumbling all day, and everything else has been same.  They will  be in the compost by end of day...  

I'm using avocado as my oil a good bit of the time.  I have a tree in backyard (love zone 9.5) so they are easy and cheap.  One Haas type avocado (I have Joeys) is ~4 oz after you remove the seed, so a half is one oil serving, and my dog eats the other half.  :)  I'm really making an effort to streamline this, by figuring out stuff like the avocado weight, although I still put on the scale (now living on the counter) and pinch off what I need to.  I can see how doing the w30 first has really made a huge difference in my being able to go right into BLE, I think doing BLE de novo, without already getting rid of the offensive foods, would have been very, very difficult.  

OK, so I know this is a w30 reintro, so sorry for filling with other stuff, but it's where I am.  I'm off to make a pot of grits, some more ghee in the oven, and roast a turkey breast.  They will last me through the working weekend...  

I formally reintroduced legumes yesterday in the form of hummus. It was DELICIOUS! I studied abroad in Egypt so I absolutely LOVE Middle Eastern food and was thrilled to bring back hummus. I don't really care to bring back other legumes... 

Overall, I felt really full for a long time after eating. And I felt a bit bloated the next morning, but nothing serious.

I generally think I have a harder time gauging how full I am when eating off-plan items. I'm not sure if it's because I'm so mentally excited to bring it back that I don't pay attention to my feelings of satiety. Or if it's because my body doesn't trigger the feeling of satiety as easily with those types of foods. But, with both the cookies and the hummus, I ate too much and felt uncomfortably full, for a long time. I honestly can't remember ever feeling uncomfortably full on Whole30, despite not monitoring my portion sizes at all and eating some pretty large meals. 

Halloween was a non-issue for me. There are no trick-or-treaters in my neighborhood (no streetlights, houses spaced far apart, and remote) so it wasn't much of a temptation.

I will say though, that I purchased some "healthy" chocolate bars from Thrive and look forward to giving those a try. I'm hoping I'll be able to have a bite or two of dark chocolate on occasion without going off the deep end and needing to eat a whole tub of ice cream or a whole bag of chocolate. Because I do want chocolate in my life. I just want to be able to control it and to eat a healthier version of it! The Sea Salt Chocolate Almond Bar I purchased only has: Organic cacao, organic coconut sugar, organic coconut butter, organic almonds, Himalayan sea salt. Not bad! Fingers crossed that it tastes good! 

1 hour ago, CorgiLover said:

I'm hanging in there too.  I didn't really have any issue with Halloween, as I've said here (prob many times) I just do not have a sweet tooth.  I worked 8-8 yesterday, so knew I wouldn't get home until at least 8:30pm, if we didn't have any last minute people running in.  I actually got home just before 9, so anyway I didn't get candy or expect any trick or treaters by the time I got home.  There were a few kids on the sidewalk (we have tons of kids in our neighborhood) but they were older and seemed to be walking home together from somewhere.  I briefly considered picking up some leftover/on sale candy today or tomorrow (days off) to put in freezer for next year, and then realized that is a trap that I don't need to set up, even if I don't much care for candy.  Why have it in the house?

I'm not really having a problem with the BLE, today was true test because it's the first day I didn't work while on it.  It is also the first day I haven't been really hungry.  I did make a big mistake this morning, I had an Ezekiel sprouted grain English muffin for my breakfast grain (they weight almost right at 4oz.)  The only bready thing I've always liked is an occ English muffin, so when I saw them in the store (and they don't list flour, although do list sprouted wheat as ingredient) I thought I'd try.  Despite my awful experience with gluten last week.  Nope.  My stomach has been rumbling all day, and everything else has been same.  They will  be in the compost by end of day...  

I'm using avocado as my oil a good bit of the time.  I have a tree in backyard (love zone 9.5) so they are easy and cheap.  One Haas type avocado (I have Joeys) is ~4 oz after you remove the seed, so a half is one oil serving, and my dog eats the other half.  :)  I'm really making an effort to streamline this, by figuring out stuff like the avocado weight, although I still put on the scale (now living on the counter) and pinch off what I need to.  I can see how doing the w30 first has really made a huge difference in my being able to go right into BLE, I think doing BLE de novo, without already getting rid of the offensive foods, would have been very, very difficult.  

OK, so I know this is a w30 reintro, so sorry for filling with other stuff, but it's where I am.  I'm off to make a pot of grits, some more ghee in the oven, and roast a turkey breast.  They will last me through the working weekend...  

Glad the hunger pangs are going away!  That gives me hope that I, too, will quit being so hungry all of the time.   I'm noticing that I'm hangriest right before lunch. Maybe I should put my lunch together n the a.m. instead of trying to do so in the heat of the moment.  That website that I posted has several good ideas for breakfast, but she eats a plant based diet, so the lunches and dinners won't cut it for me.  Yeah... the W30 definitely helped with this process, though it would have been easier to jump straight in before reintro.  Oh, well.  I learned some valuable lessons from that experience!

1 hour ago, kirbz said:

I formally reintroduced legumes yesterday in the form of hummus. It was DELICIOUS! I studied abroad in Egypt so I absolutely LOVE Middle Eastern food and was thrilled to bring back hummus. I don't really care to bring back other legumes... 

Overall, I felt really full for a long time after eating. And I felt a bit bloated the next morning, but nothing serious.

I generally think I have a harder time gauging how full I am when eating off-plan items. I'm not sure if it's because I'm so mentally excited to bring it back that I don't pay attention to my feelings of satiety. Or if it's because my body doesn't trigger the feeling of satiety as easily with those types of foods. But, with both the cookies and the hummus, I ate too much and felt uncomfortably full, for a long time. I honestly can't remember ever feeling uncomfortably full on Whole30, despite not monitoring my portion sizes at all and eating some pretty large meals. 

Halloween was a non-issue for me. There are no trick-or-treaters in my neighborhood (no streetlights, houses spaced far apart, and remote) so it wasn't much of a temptation.

I will say though, that I purchased some "healthy" chocolate bars from Thrive and look forward to giving those a try. I'm hoping I'll be able to have a bite or two of dark chocolate on occasion without going off the deep end and needing to eat a whole tub of ice cream or a whole bag of chocolate. Because I do want chocolate in my life. I just want to be able to control it and to eat a healthier version of it! The Sea Salt Chocolate Almond Bar I purchased only has: Organic cacao, organic coconut sugar, organic coconut butter, organic almonds, Himalayan sea salt. Not bad! Fingers crossed that it tastes good! 

Wow, Egypt.  Pretty cool and glad you are able to eat a favorite food without too many issues!  Try as I may to like hummus, I've just never developed a taste for it.  I do love black beans, though.  But i digress, beans, in general,  do not like me! 

6 hours ago, kirbz said:

I agree @kirbz I kind of couldn't see the micro affects of introducing some of the first items like legumes and non-gluten grains.  I was more tired mid-day from the non-gluten grains, but that was about it.  

So a retry of dairy sticking just to hard cheeses, cream and butter for the day went fine. Even the pumpkin ice cream (the little scoop I had!).  I'm thinking of trying blue cheese on it's own, then moving on to gluten.  Halloween was my day of dairy, and I had a few nibbles of candy.  Nothing really took affect.  The W30 recipes and regiment is really nice to go back to and know "all is good" there.  Umm though I did a mini stash of the candy for when I fully introduced sugar, etc. and just took a peek and it's all but gone.  Pretty sure the other adult thought he could have at it and I"m a little perturbed.

@dmrob2009 & @SineadMon best wishes on on your BLE.  I don't know how I'd do a limited calorie regiment and deal with hunger on top of making good choices.  Glad you have some support and a plan to follow.  I found if it was layed it in front of me without much need to make a decision it was easier to stick to it.  

9 hours ago, Svmomma said:

So a retry of dairy sticking just to hard cheeses, cream and butter for the day went fine. Even the pumpkin ice cream (the little scoop I had!).  I'm thinking of trying blue cheese on it's own, then moving on to gluten.  Halloween was my day of dairy, and I had a few nibbles of candy.  Nothing really took affect.  The W30 recipes and regiment is really nice to go back to and know "all is good" there.  Umm though I did a mini stash of the candy for when I fully introduced sugar, etc. and just took a peek and it's all but gone.  Pretty sure the other adult thought he could have at it and I"m a little perturbed.

@dmrob2009 & @SineadMon best wishes on on your BLE.  I don't know how I'd do a limited calorie regiment and deal with hunger on top of making good choices.  Glad you have some support and a plan to follow.  I found if it was layed it in front of me without much need to make a decision it was easier to stick to it.  

Thanks, @Svmomma.  It's a little bit of a bummer to have to resort to such extreme measures.  I'm not gonna lie. LOL. Having said that, I'm hoping to learn some portion control, which is a big problem of mine, likely because of my leptin issues.  This program will definitely get that all worked out, so I'm plowing through one day at a time.  

Sorry about your candy stash.  My problem with candy is that there'd never be a stash in the first place, if you catch my drift.  Hehe.  All or nothin' for this girl.  :rolleyes:

Good morning, all!

Yesterday was a rough one.  Hubs and I took the kids trick-or-treating on Halloween and  made the pick some pieces of candy to eat, then throw the rest away.  We do this because every year the behavior tanks after eating copious amounts of HFCS, artificial flavors and coloring.  Ugh.  This year was no different.  What I noticed yesterday is that they were grouchy, argumentative and had zero focus when it came time to do their home education.  Just following simple instructions seemed like a monumental task for them.  :blink:  Subsequently, I was in a really foul mood and thinking about all of the negatives of my program.   Even started referring to it as a 'diet' yesterday.  Fortunately, I awakened in a better mood after a good night's sleep and noticed that Holly is now playing on Sirius XM. :lol: I can now enjoy Christmas /holiday music through the end of January... yay!

Today's menu

Breakfast- 4 oz GF oatmeal with a banana, 4 oz plain yogurt and 1 oz raw pumpkin seeds

Lunch (which I will prepare in advance so as to avoid 'hangry')- chicken salad with 4 oz skinless roasted chicken thigh, 1 tbsp homemade W30 mayo, 6 oz finely chopped onion and field greens and 1 apple, finely chopped.  

Dinner- 4 oz elk steak with 14 oz roasted carrots and steamed okra.

I've discovered a little secret about salads and dressing, when you're trying not to overdo on dressing.  Chop everything super fine, even the lettuce.  Then the small amount of dressing coats everything.  B)

tumblr_n34i0ei6Y31qjm9bpo1_500.jpg

Happy Thursday, all!

Oh @Svmomma I'm not doing BLE!! I seriously have such respect and admiration for @dmrob2009 and @CorgiLover for engaging in such a specific program. One thing I have learned over the last few years is that I am definitely not good with very specific rules - I like the W30 type rules where it's more buckets, rather than ounces or measurements. But equally, I know that portion control is also a big issue for me and something I should pay much more attention to. However, I'm still largely sticking to the W30... Day 39 without any reintro. As I said before, I'm trying not to really count it as W30 anymore, but more a natural way to live and eat. I do think my digestive issues settle down a bit I want to reintroduce legumes and non-gluten grains (would love some oatmeal with this changing weather!), but given the way my body is right now, I don't think a reintro of new foods would be a good recommendation.

That said, I do have two banana's I bought over the weekend that are reaching that natural state of "cook me into something delicious" and I'd love to whip up some banana pancakes or paleo muffins or something. I think I'll just freeze them and maybe make something in a few days time.

Sorry to hear about your stash @Svmomma - I would be very gutted if I were you. But knowing my vicious sweet tooth, I know my stash wouldn't last too long.

@kirbz is that that alter ago chocolate? or the HU kitchen? I love the offerings on Thrive... I always buy too much though! But yes, I'm hoping to be able to get to a point where one or two squares of really good chocolate will satisfy me

Happy Thursday y'all!

22 minutes ago, SineadMon said:

Oh @Svmomma I'm not doing BLE!! I seriously have such respect and admiration for @dmrob2009 and @CorgiLover for engaging in such a specific program. One thing I have learned over the last few years is that I am definitely not good with very specific rules - I like the W30 type rules where it's more buckets, rather than ounces or measurements. But equally, I know that portion control is also a big issue for me and something I should pay much more attention to. However, I'm still largely sticking to the W30... Day 39 without any reintro. As I said before, I'm trying not to really count it as W30 anymore, but more a natural way to live and eat. I do think my digestive issues settle down a bit I want to reintroduce legumes and non-gluten grains (would love some oatmeal with this changing weather!), but given the way my body is right now, I don't think a reintro of new foods would be a good recommendation.

That said, I do have two banana's I bought over the weekend that are reaching that natural state of "cook me into something delicious" and I'd love to whip up some banana pancakes or paleo muffins or something. I think I'll just freeze them and maybe make something in a few days time.

Sorry to hear about your stash @Svmomma - I would be very gutted if I were you. But knowing my vicious sweet tooth, I know my stash wouldn't last too long.

@kirbz is that that alter ago chocolate? or the HU kitchen? I love the offerings on Thrive... I always buy too much though! But yes, I'm hoping to be able to get to a point where one or two squares of really good chocolate will satisfy me

Happy Thursday y'all!

Way to get to 39 days and happy for you that you can now call W30 your lifestyle!  

I love Thrive... been a member for 3 years.  They lots of good holiday fare and their brand items are such a good deal (ghee, cacao powder, etc) . 

@SineadMon Congrats on Day 39! Sticking with the program a bit longer than prescribed (I ended at Day 43) really helped boost my own confidence to maintain this as a lifestyle! Good luck to you and great job! 

If you're interested in baking some banana bread with those bananas, this recipe is almost entirely made of Whole30 ingredients if you want to give it a try (the exception being the vanilla extract): https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-banana-bread-no-sugar/

As for the chocolate bars, the two "cleanest" options I found on thrive were the EatingEvolved 72% Almond & Sea Salt Primal Chocolate and the Lulu's Chocolate Smoked Sea Salt Almond Raw Bar. I love chocolate and nuts so I look forward to trying them! 

Good morning!

Day 6 of BLE with a  W30 theme for lunch and dinner.   Breakfast is really the only meal of the day that is not compliant.  Feeling a little better, in terms of hunger.  It's definitely not as intense today.  I've been researching meal ideas to try and bump up the interesting factor.  Hopefully my menu will get better tomorrow after we do some grocery shopping.   

Todays menu:

Breakfast- 4 oz gf overnight oatmeal (I learned that you don't even have to cook the stuff.  You can simply mix dry and wet ingredients together and pop in the fridge overnight and voila!) with 4 oz plain yogurt, 1 oz raw pumpkin seeds and 1 banana

Lunch- 6 oz salad, 4 oz chopped kielbasa, 1 tbsp mayo and 1 apple

Dinner- 4 oz roast, 1 tbsp cooking fat, 14 oz roasted carrots and acorn squash

A little humor...

Funny-Diet-Quotes-Images-W630.jpg

Have a great weekend!

Good morning everyone!

It's good to hear everyone's stories of challenges and successes.  Hard to believe some of you folks are on day 6 of a NEW program!  I take my hat off to all who have that sort of desire and discipline!  Sounds like reintro is still going well for everyone too.  The only things I have left are legumes (which I honestly have no idea when I'll do them) and a sugary treat of some sort.  I'll be waiting until my mini-vacation next weekend for the treat.  Everything else is going well. Gluten was an eye opener, and I haven't had any since.  Dairy wasn't looked into very hard, but I don't miss it much, so no big deal.  I've made it to the gym every day this week.  I am terribly sore though, so the rest of this weekend will be recovery, with maybe some long walks thrown in.  All of our meals this week have come from the Whole 30 or the Well Fed cookbooks, and it's been fun learning these new recipes.  My next big step is to begin to learn and get a handle on portion control, especially with my proteins.  One of the things that helped me succeed on the W30 program was no calorie counting, measuring, or anything like that.  Although I didn't weigh myself before we started, I'm pretty sure I'm down about 20 pounds since Sept 18th.  I still have a decent amount of body fat I'd like to remove, so I think the next logical step is to take what I've learned and look at portions a little differently.  My protein portions are the first thing that need to be "tweeked" as I know I'm consuming more than I should.  I need to get less protein and more veggies with each meal.  We've been eating a LOT of sweet potatoes, and although I know they are good for us, we need to get more variety in there too.  That will be our next big step.  We got through Halloween just fine, by going over to a friend's house and not having candy in the house.  :D  We are already scoping out restaurants and menus for our upcoming trip, and it looks like there are some really good options.  We are going to allow ourselves some latitude with sweets if we see something that looks too good to pass up, and we will also have a few drinks.  The plan is to be 100% W30 compliant this coming week (we leave next Friday) and 100% compliant for the week when we come back.  Car snacks (its a 6 hour drive) will be a research project for this weekend.  The idea is to enjoy the weekend, and not eat Oreos in the car going there!  Wish us luck.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!  Keep up the good work.

Mike

I'm still here too, just very busy this past week.  I've been reading as I can, but mostly working and sleeping.  I'm still doing fine, eating wise, but running into some life things that are problematic.  Trying to work out solutions.  I also learned a huge lesson with gluten, so don't think I can stomach that again.  I fished the last few gluten containing things I still had in my pantry and took to work, put them in the kitchen with "eat me or take me home" tags on them.  It was just a few things I thought I'd cook up when I have to take a pot luck, but decided I'm not taking something to a party I can't eat.  I have only added back a bit of sugar, which doesn't phase me, it was on some gluten free cookies my mom had (gluten free ginger snaps from WF) that are good, but I didn't have any problem eating a couple and then stopping.  I just have never had a sugar thing, fat and grease and potatoes, yes, but no sugar thing :)  Eating BLE this week has been eye opening in two ways.  First, like you said @Mike5858 I just have no good concept of proper proportion sizes.   When I started measuring out a 4oz portion of most proteins, I was surprised that I was eating twice that a lot of the time.  Measuring it has been good for me, and I plan to continue to measure proteins and fats for a good while.  OTOH, I find with BLE I was not only getting past the hunger, but by mid-week this week I just wasn't hungry enough to eat.  Found myself not eating all I was supposed to, which is a pretty calorie restricted diet (I calculated it at right about 1200 cals per day).  II just have not been hungry, and the past few days at the gym I found my muscles fatigued much faster, and I felt more tired, than usual.  I go to the gym on MWF, and do weights with a trainer friend, and Wed I was overtired and my legs felt weaker than usual.  Fri was cardio day and I barely got through it.  I've decided BLE by the book is not for me, I don't feel as good as I did two weeks ago.  I'm going to continue to weigh/measure for a while, to try to get a better handle on portion sizes, but go to a more regular Paleo diet.  I'm bummed that I haven't lost so much weight, but I'm smaller and I feel good so going to go with that.  Everybody has to find their way, and I might not be "right", but I think I need to make some changes to feel the way I want to feel.  I'm going to continue to weigh/measure proteins, add a small fruit serving once or twice a day, and fill the rest with veggies in whatever way strikes my fancy.  I like salad, so going to focus on trying some Paleo dressings and see what I like.  I also like sauteed spinach, zucchini, brussels sprouts, so going to make a concerted effort to have those cooked and ready to go.  For grains, cornmeal grits and tortilla chips are it for me.  Not much interested in anything else, but I love both things, so I have a creamy and a crunchy and that will do.  I'm glad to see so many still here, and I keep learning every time I read one of your posts.  

BTW, I'm also having issues with my work schedule, gym schedule, and getting enough sleep.  It wasn't previously a problem, as I wasn't sleeping well anyway.  When I get up at 0430 to be at gym from 5 to 6, then work 8-8, get home at 0830-9pm, it is hard to get in the sleep I think I need.  I nap all day my days off, which doesn't get the house cleaned or the laundry done...  Trying to rework that, too, but not successful so far.  

Morning!  I'm still here, too.  Still doing BLE and I, just like @CorgiLover, had a day where I could not finish dinner.  I threw away about one third of my veggies because I couldn't get them down.  What I am running into is having to switch gears somewhere during the day because I've not taken my entire day into consideration before planning my meals, so I'm having to make changes in the fly, which is a no-no.  I think part of my problem is subliminal, for a few reasons.  One, my food scale is not sensitive enough so the numbers are not super exact. Very close, but not exact.  In addition, my weight scale arrived mid-week, so I've not yet weighed myself.  I'll do that today, measurements and all.  My 5-yr journal is still not here and my husband has been sick with a very nasty cold, so I've forgotten about my gratitude journal (which is on my nightstand) the last couple of nights because I'm currently sleeping in the guest room so as to not catch the crud.  Also, I had a little red wine the last couple of nights.  I've been compliant otherwise, despite changing my menu up.  So... my goal starting today is to really crack down.  No deviations from my food commitments, accept that my food scale needs an upgrade and play the dumb game of trying to be exact even when the scale jumps around on me, weigh and measure myself today and then weekly from here on out, no alcohol whatsoever and doing my suggested journaling.  I think the issue is just a lot of unfinished business that makes everything feel not 'official'.  Changing that today!

On another note, I have been meditating every morning and looking at inspirational readings daily.  In fact, I downloaded this cool app called 'Calm'.  It's guided meditation and I love it.  You can choose how long, what background noise you prefer, etc.  It's very helpful, since I've never been great at meditation.

Since I feel like I'm in a bit of a rut these days, my inspiration of the day is this...

"If you are stuck in a rut today, it's because you got comfortable there." - anonymous

My meal plan today:

Breakfast- 4 oz cooked GF steel cut oats (no gluten for this gal, either!), 4 oz plain yogurt, 6 oz canned peaches in their own juice and 1 oz raw pumpkin seeds

Lunch- 4 oz leftover kalua pig,1 tbsp dressing, 6 oz salad and an apple.

Dinner- 4 oz roast, 14 oz veggies (carrots, okra, acorn squash) with 1 tbsp cooking fat.

How's everyone else doing?  Seems like the thread is sort of fizzling.  :(

Have a great end of your weekend!

On 11/3/2017 at 6:43 AM, Mike5858 said:

Good morning everyone!

It's good to hear everyone's stories of challenges and successes.  Hard to believe some of you folks are on day 6 of a NEW program!  I take my hat off to all who have that sort of desire and discipline!  Sounds like reintro is still going well for everyone too.  The only things I have left are legumes (which I honestly have no idea when I'll do them) and a sugary treat of some sort.  I'll be waiting until my mini-vacation next weekend for the treat.  Everything else is going well. Gluten was an eye opener, and I haven't had any since.  Dairy wasn't looked into very hard, but I don't miss it much, so no big deal.  I've made it to the gym every day this week.  I am terribly sore though, so the rest of this weekend will be recovery, with maybe some long walks thrown in.  All of our meals this week have come from the Whole 30 or the Well Fed cookbooks, and it's been fun learning these new recipes.  My next big step is to begin to learn and get a handle on portion control, especially with my proteins.  One of the things that helped me succeed on the W30 program was no calorie counting, measuring, or anything like that.  Although I didn't weigh myself before we started, I'm pretty sure I'm down about 20 pounds since Sept 18th.  I still have a decent amount of body fat I'd like to remove, so I think the next logical step is to take what I've learned and look at portions a little differently.  My protein portions are the first thing that need to be "tweeked" as I know I'm consuming more than I should.  I need to get less protein and more veggies with each meal.  We've been eating a LOT of sweet potatoes, and although I know they are good for us, we need to get more variety in there too.  That will be our next big step.  We got through Halloween just fine, by going over to a friend's house and not having candy in the house.  :D  We are already scoping out restaurants and menus for our upcoming trip, and it looks like there are some really good options.  We are going to allow ourselves some latitude with sweets if we see something that looks too good to pass up, and we will also have a few drinks.  The plan is to be 100% W30 compliant this coming week (we leave next Friday) and 100% compliant for the week when we come back.  Car snacks (its a 6 hour drive) will be a research project for this weekend.  The idea is to enjoy the weekend, and not eat Oreos in the car going there!  Wish us luck.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!  Keep up the good work.

Mike

You and @kirbz are rocking the Food Freedom thing, @Mike5858.  And @SineadMon is comfy in W30 mode.  Yay for all of you! I wish I had the ability to control my portion sizes without weighing and measuring but I digress, I have some really screwed up habits and subsequently, screwed up leptin!  Extreme problems call for extreme measures, I suppose.  LOL

14 hours ago, CorgiLover said:

I'm still here too, just very busy this past week.  I've been reading as I can, but mostly working and sleeping.  I'm still doing fine, eating wise, but running into some life things that are problematic.  Trying to work out solutions.  I also learned a huge lesson with gluten, so don't think I can stomach that again.  I fished the last few gluten containing things I still had in my pantry and took to work, put them in the kitchen with "eat me or take me home" tags on them.  It was just a few things I thought I'd cook up when I have to take a pot luck, but decided I'm not taking something to a party I can't eat.  I have only added back a bit of sugar, which doesn't phase me, it was on some gluten free cookies my mom had (gluten free ginger snaps from WF) that are good, but I didn't have any problem eating a couple and then stopping.  I just have never had a sugar thing, fat and grease and potatoes, yes, but no sugar thing :)  Eating BLE this week has been eye opening in two ways.  First, like you said @Mike5858 I just have no good concept of proper proportion sizes.   When I started measuring out a 4oz portion of most proteins, I was surprised that I was eating twice that a lot of the time.  Measuring it has been good for me, and I plan to continue to measure proteins and fats for a good while.  OTOH, I find with BLE I was not only getting past the hunger, but by mid-week this week I just wasn't hungry enough to eat.  Found myself not eating all I was supposed to, which is a pretty calorie restricted diet (I calculated it at right about 1200 cals per day).  II just have not been hungry, and the past few days at the gym I found my muscles fatigued much faster, and I felt more tired, than usual.  I go to the gym on MWF, and do weights with a trainer friend, and Wed I was overtired and my legs felt weaker than usual.  Fri was cardio day and I barely got through it.  I've decided BLE by the book is not for me, I don't feel as good as I did two weeks ago.  I'm going to continue to weigh/measure for a while, to try to get a better handle on portion sizes, but go to a more regular Paleo diet.  I'm bummed that I haven't lost so much weight, but I'm smaller and I feel good so going to go with that.  Everybody has to find their way, and I might not be "right", but I think I need to make some changes to feel the way I want to feel.  I'm going to continue to weigh/measure proteins, add a small fruit serving once or twice a day, and fill the rest with veggies in whatever way strikes my fancy.  I like salad, so going to focus on trying some Paleo dressings and see what I like.  I also like sauteed spinach, zucchini, brussels sprouts, so going to make a concerted effort to have those cooked and ready to go.  For grains, cornmeal grits and tortilla chips are it for me.  Not much interested in anything else, but I love both things, so I have a creamy and a crunchy and that will do.  I'm glad to see so many still here, and I keep learning every time I read one of your posts.  

BTW, I'm also having issues with my work schedule, gym schedule, and getting enough sleep.  It wasn't previously a problem, as I wasn't sleeping well anyway.  When I get up at 0430 to be at gym from 5 to 6, then work 8-8, get home at 0830-9pm, it is hard to get in the sleep I think I need.  I nap all day my days off, which doesn't get the house cleaned or the laundry done...  Trying to rework that, too, but not successful so far.  

Way to stick to plan, @CorgiLover.  You're inspiring me to tweak my habits and rock this next week.  I've been good, but I could definitely do better! 

Happy Sunday everyone!  Well, the gym caught up to me and I tweeked my back somehow.  Getting up and down out of a chair is pretty painful.  I don't think it's anything a few days rest won't fix.  I just feel bad since I was just getting started back to working out.  what makes it worse is I was actually trying to take it easy!  I guess I was more out of shape than I realized.  I hope I can get in a workout on both Wednesday and Thursday.  We leave on our trip Friday morning.  I had hoped to do a bunch of hiking while we were in Arkansas, so if my back doesn't feel much better soon, I'll take the whole week off from the gym.

Eating well, is going fine.  Pretty much W30 compliant with each meal.  We had a drink last night, but just one.  My wife is finding that alcohol is really giving her a headache.  She had one Bloody Mary last night and got a bad headache.  Same thing happened to her last weekend after one glass of Merlot.  I have not had those issues, but it would seem odd drinking without her.  Not sure how we are going to proceed.  With the get away coming up, we thought we would have a few drinks each day, but we certainly don't want to ruin things by having her get headaches, so we will play it by ear.  I may have found my lifetime "designated driver"! :lol:

It's always good to hear from everyone.  Sounds like some real challenges going on, but nothing you guys can't handle.  dmrob2009 and CorgiLover are inspiring in how they are handling the rigors of BLE.  Good job by both of you!  hang in there everyone, we got this!

Enjoy the rest of your weekends, and hope to hear from everyone on Monday!

Mike

Archived