Sept 18 start date reintro

dmrob2009

4 hours ago, SineadMon said:

Welcome back on board @dmrob2009 :) I really think your brain and spirit will thank you for this.
Also, I've been meditating for a few months now - when I remember to do so - and I really enjoy it. Hopefully something you can take away from BLE (and the gratitude journal) to make it feel a little more worthwhile

Thanks!! Happy to be back in the W30 arena!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/7/2017 at 8:00 AM, Mike5858 said:

Great to hear gluten worked out well for you.  My experience was different. :P   I feel that "slipping here and there" when you're that busy should be counted as a big win.  Going back to cooking W30 type meals most of the time and being mindful the rest, can only lead to good things in the long run.  the "long run" is what I continue to focus on, and it sounds like you are too.  I'm jealous about the gym, as my back still isn't right (but getting there), best of luck!

So hard to get caught up here when you're not on regularly!  I literally have two windows open so I can see what I previously read. 

First @Mike5858 your total weight loss I read awhile back - WOW great job! And to anyone else that make some big improvements that way as well.  I am sorry though about your back... that can be discouraging when you're trying to get back at it.  Sounds like walking still works for you.  I'd just keep including what does so when you do feel up to going back to the gym it might not feel like starting from scratch.  I took up swimming with a vengeance when I had a hip injury and couldn't really do much else.  Feels good to use your body and is mentally beneficial as well!  p.s. happy belated birthday and enjoy your trip this weekend!

@dmrob2009 and @CorgiLover I'm sorry to hear that BLE was such a downer for you, but welcome back to W30.  Sounds like you'll be able to incorporate the best of both together to get the improvements you wish for.  I caught that avoiding grains in the am is a theory of BLE that is helpful?  While gluten was not an issue that one day and I've since stayed away, I've still considered grabbing a piece of toast here and there with breakfast.  

@kirbz you should not feel bad about eating off plan.  I loved those elements of food freedom forever, that if those things are your worth it moments then you can and should.  It's all the other little moments in between that you have the power to make different choices.  Sounds like weight coming off is still happening. Sorry about your energy levels though.  I think calling it Tiger Blood only built up the expectation of something incredible.  I really think it's more about the major dip in energy when W30 is introduced, to the rebound of your body getting used to processing it's fuel from something different.  Keep on hiking!

@SineadMon I think you found the secret to food freedom!  

7 hours ago, Svmomma said:

So hard to get caught up here when you're not on regularly!  I literally have two windows open so I can see what I previously read. 

First @Mike5858 your total weight loss I read awhile back - WOW great job! And to anyone else that make some big improvements that way as well.  I am sorry though about your back... that can be discouraging when you're trying to get back at it.  Sounds like walking still works for you.  I'd just keep including what does so when you do feel up to going back to the gym it might not feel like starting from scratch.  I took up swimming with a vengeance when I had a hip injury and couldn't really do much else.  Feels good to use your body and is mentally beneficial as well!  p.s. happy belated birthday and enjoy your trip this weekend!

@dmrob2009 and @CorgiLover I'm sorry to hear that BLE was such a downer for you, but welcome back to W30.  Sounds like you'll be able to incorporate the best of both together to get the improvements you wish for.  I caught that avoiding grains in the am is a theory of BLE that is helpful?  While gluten was not an issue that one day and I've since stayed away, I've still considered grabbing a piece of toast here and there with breakfast.  

@kirbz you should not feel bad about eating off plan.  I loved those elements of food freedom forever, that if those things are your worth it moments then you can and should.  It's all the other little moments in between that you have the power to make different choices.  Sounds like weight coming off is still happening. Sorry about your energy levels though.  I think calling it Tiger Blood only built up the expectation of something incredible.  I really think it's more about the major dip in energy when W30 is introduced, to the rebound of your body getting used to processing it's fuel from something different.  Keep on hiking!

@SineadMon I think you found the secret to food freedom!  

Thanks, @Svmomma!  Sounds like you have learned a lot from this experience.  I'm so happy for all of us!!

I think I was so turned off by the weighing and measuring thing that I've become determined not to let food have so much control over me.  I've been doing really well with 3 meals a day.  I'll eat GF grains in the a.m. on occasion but have found that I do better without them.  

Happy almost Friday!

I am much more happy jettisoning BLE.  I was doing too much, and it caught up with me.  The past three days, I took off work and have literally slept most of the time.  I'm going to start doing some things that I used to do, but got out of the habit.  First, schedule a "me" day every week, where I don't schedule anything in particular, and I don't save up chores to do on that day.  Only things I like.  Cooking is something I like, so prep cooking is ok, but the shopping is not (since I hate it.)  I go to Massage Envy once a month, that can be on a "me" day, I also enjoy going to the gym, so that's ok too.  Work catch up, mail, billpaying (both mine and my mother's, I handle her finances too..) no.  If I want to knit and watch movies all day, sleep, whatever, I am going to have a scheduled decompress day.  I'm also making a more concerted effort to use the gratitude journal, which I had also put beside the bed and barely touched.  

I have the first book of the Well Fed series, and I pulled it out yesterday to look through.  I realize now that, when I bought it, I only looked at the recipes.  I started reading from the beginning, and I like her way of cooking ahead, Her way of doing a weekly pre-cook, and then assembling either a hot plate or a cold salad at mealtime, really rings my bell.  It is the way I kind of cook anyway, but more organized, and I think sticking to that for a while is going to help me get back into a better daily routine without losing sight of my food issues.  I like it well enough that I've ordered the other two books from amazon and they should be here tomorrow.  

I know I'm guilty of constantly jumping on a new bandwagon, but the more I stick to a better diet, and to taking care of my own needs, and avoiding toxic food and situations, the better I feel.  I'm thankful for all of you, glad we are all still coming here.  

@dmrob2009 we were posting at the same time.  I agree!  I think counting and weighing is a way to learn portion control, but it is also counter to the idea of food freedom.  More food prison, really.  I think changing your viewpoint of food, from indulgence to nourishment, is the much healthier approach.  Happy pre-Friday!

Good morning, y'all!

I just wanted to touch base... I know it's the holidays and we are all super busy.

The last week has been eye opening for me.  After giving BLE the kabash, I restarted my coffee with creamer habit back up.  I ate reasonably, I really did.  I found that my coffee habit is what is keeping me from losing.  I didn't gain an ounce. I didn't lose an ounce either.  So, I'm allowing myself one cup of coffee in the a.m.  Then hot tea with no sweetener or cream if I'm desperate.    Anyway, I'm officially under the 200 mark for the first time in about a year.  Fortunately I'm tall!!  LOL. I don't want to lose this mojo, so I'm renunciating coffee past my first morning cup until I take my trip to TX in Dec.  I've been pretty good about not eating between meals, but I'm going to be perfect, in this regard, for the next few weeks.  I'll allow myself a smidgen of fun while baking cookies, but I'm just not doing a lot of that this season, as it's a very slippery slope for the whole family.

How's everyone else doing?  @Mike5858, how did the trip go?

Happy Monday to all!

@dmrob2009 Thanks for checking in! It's nice to hear from folks! And congrats on reaching a milestone of under 200!

I'll be completely honest. I've somewhat fallen off the bandwagon. Which is embarrassing to admit because I had felt so strong and committed and good about my newfound knowledge and discipline! :-( 

To be quite frank, I'm not entirely sure how much I believe in this way of eating. Yes, I believe eating natural, whole foods is best. But do I need meat and fat at every single meal? I'm not sure. Do I really need to avoid natural grains and legumes and dairy? I'm not sure. At least for me, personally. Because I've been eating all of those things and I don't feel any different than how I felt on 43 days of Whole30 eating. My NSVs are the same just generally eating whole foods and avoiding excess "bad" stuff like ice cream and chocolate. I'm also still losing weight. 

So yeah, I had regular ice cream this weekend. I had store-bought potato salad with all sorts of garbage in it. I had sour cream. I had french toast with whole grain bread. And I felt just fine. 

Probably not a very inspiring post but that's where I'm at right now. I'm going to try to get back to Whole30 eating until this weekend (when we're having 10 friends over for a "Friendsgiving" holiday). But it's hard to convince myself to stick with it when I'm not sure I believe in it anymore. I really wish I'd gained some energy or mental clarity. Or that I felt worse when I eat bad foods. But it all just feels the same to me! 

Hi guys.. so great to see some activity! 

I've been really just trying to remain aware of my eating habits and cravings. Like I genuinely feel that just knowing what you want to eat, why and the affect it has on you is a really big step and a huge achievement. Like you said @dmrob2009, knowing that your coffee creamer triggers you is huge. But I've also really been asking myself the same question @kirbz, like is it necessary to keep eating like this? 

For me, I've just been eating routinely and trying to focus on full meals, reduce snacking and listening to how my body feels more. Yesterday I went for brunch with my friends and found it difficult to order from the menu, but did my best. And for me, that was an achievement because normally if I couldn't find something 'perfect', i would just say screw it and order the most lavish thing on the menu. Also, one of the things I have definitely learned is that my digestive system is just super super sensitive. A few weeks ago I would have worried that I had 'eaten off plan', but now I know that I do need to be conscious of what I eat because I can react to it. I know that this is mainly caused by the level of stress in my job and so I'm trying to manage that with more meditation and self-care. For me, I find that eating real food for breakfast, lunch and dinner just give me more structure. Like I said in some previous posts, I am not overly worried about being 'compliant' or checking ingredients in any great detail, but largely I am trying to avoid gluten and dairy because I know from life before W30 that these would just make me feel sluggish and tired. I'm finding this helpful for structure and routine but I definitely want to avoid putting labels on myself - I'm trying to just take each meal as it comes. 

I do wonder about the holidays every now and then.. I know I've often been on a diet or plan and then 'fallen off the wagon' when its Thanksgiving and got so angry at myself that I fall into an endless cycle of mindless decisions and eating all the things possible. I'm really hoping to be more aware this year... send me luck you guys!!! But for that reason @kirbz I hear you on 'falling off the wagon', but then if your wagon includes dairy and other foods without any issues, and you are eating what you enjoy, then I don't consider that falling anywhere - you are living life and that is so awesome!!!

Great to hear from you all! Happy Monday :)

@kirbz -Remember that W30 is intended to be a temporary process that help you to identify how certain foods affect your system, not as a lifetime way of eating.  How you carry forward with regards to what foods you want or don't want is up to you.  If your food freedom plan is different from what you had for 30 days, GREAT!

The benefits that a lot of people experience such as weight loss, taming the sugar dragon, and increased energy gives one the knowledge to move forward and make informed food choices for themselves.

@kirbz I think as long as you are mindful when you eat these items and they do not make you feel bad then that's fine.  Also, I think it's hard going into the holidays trying to restrict certain foods.  I had a a Starbucks coffee with 1.5 pumps of gingerbread syrup yesterday (they usually come with 6 pumps) and two sugar cookies that I made with the kids.  Not what I'd set out to do at the beginning of the day, but I had fun, nonetheless.  I'll do better today.

@SineadMon The three meals a day thing will take you a long way.  I know I used to consume far more calories than I'd like to admit to via nuts and chocolate after dinner.  This rule helps me to control the calories in.  I do not follow it perfectly, as evidenced by my splurge yesterday.  But I think we are all doing our best during a time of year that has a great big focus on food.  Not the best time of year to try and lose weight , though I'd like to get down by another 10 before I go to TX in Dec.  

Have a great day!

Hi everyone, I've been busy too.  I have tentatively added back some cheese, and did okay.  Last Fri night I made shrimp and grits, which I love, and I have always put cheddar cheese in the grits.  I wanted the taste, so I added a little bit of shredded cheddar to the grits, but just enough to color them and add a little cheese taste.  Not the saturated potful with a whole block of cheese!  Anyway, it was just as good, and didn't bother me the next day (and I had the leftover cheese grits for breakfast.)  Sat night, I went out to dinner.  Had osso bucco and risotto, I think is the first time I've added back rice of any kind.  I'm sure the osso bucco had a little flour in the gravy, but didn't have any problem with it either.  

Yesterday, our manager bought lunch > pizza.  I work in healthcare and we have been hammered with flu already.  We were incredibly busy yesterday, so she wanted to treat by ordering pizza.  I had a salad and chicken breast I'd brought, but didn't want to scorn the gift, so I had one piece of thin crust, regular cheese and pepperoni.  Last night, my stomach rumbled and rolled, and I am assuming I crossed my threshold of how much gluten I can handle.  

Like @T2Andrew said above, I'm finding that being able to pick apart what agrees with me and what does not is really helping me refine the way I eat.  By doing that, I'm feeling much better and having more energy and stamina to work on the physical.  I'm not focusing so much on whole30 compliant at this point, but the past couple of months I think I've learned to be more discriminating about what I put in my mouth.  I still have a way to go to get myself in better physical condition, but it is a good start.  I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving (if you are in US) and allow yourselves to enjoy the seaon, not just the food.  :)

10 minutes ago, CorgiLover said:

Hi everyone, I've been busy too.  I have tentatively added back some cheese, and did okay.  Last Fri night I made shrimp and grits, which I love, and I have always put cheddar cheese in the grits.  I wanted the taste, so I added a little bit of shredded cheddar to the grits, but just enough to color them and add a little cheese taste.  Not the saturated potful with a whole block of cheese!  Anyway, it was just as good, and didn't bother me the next day (and I had the leftover cheese grits for breakfast.)  Sat night, I went out to dinner.  Had osso bucco and risotto, I think is the first time I've added back rice of any kind.  I'm sure the osso bucco had a little flour in the gravy, but didn't have any problem with it either.  

Yesterday, our manager bought lunch > pizza.  I work in healthcare and we have been hammered with flu already.  We were incredibly busy yesterday, so she wanted to treat by ordering pizza.  I had a salad and chicken breast I'd brought, but didn't want to scorn the gift, so I had one piece of thin crust, regular cheese and pepperoni.  Last night, my stomach rumbled and rolled, and I am assuming I crossed my threshold of how much gluten I can handle.  

Like @T2Andrew said above, I'm finding that being able to pick apart what agrees with me and what does not is really helping me refine the way I eat.  By doing that, I'm feeling much better and having more energy and stamina to work on the physical.  I'm not focusing so much on whole30 compliant at this point, but the past couple of months I think I've learned to be more discriminating about what I put in my mouth.  I still have a way to go to get myself in better physical condition, but it is a good start.  I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving (if you are in US) and allow yourselves to enjoy the seaon, not just the food.  :)

Have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving!!!

Good Morning Everyone!  I got back from my trip to Hot Springs yesterday afternoon around 5pm, and then had to do to my first condo association meeting last night, so this is my first chance to check in.  Looks like everyone is doing well, and finding their own way.  I think that was the point all along.  ;)

My trip went great.  We had healthy car snacks on the trip there (6 hour drive), and then went into "vacation mode" after arrival.  We had outstanding gourmet pizza and wine not long after we got there and that sort of set the tone for the weekend.  We were pretty much W30 compliant for breakfast (except for the morning we split a blueberry pancake that was terrific!), stayed light at lunch, and then cut loose a little for dinner.  Pasta one night, steak another, and then some fish.  small amounts of bread and drinks.  We did find a cupcake shop that had been on "Cupcake Wars" on the Food Channel and it was simply amazing.  We allowed ourselves one cupcake per day, and really felt it was "worth it".  I have to say that the increase in sugar and gluten did leave me feeling bloated and a little lazy late in the day.  My wife and I talked about the experience on the drive home, and both agreed we were looking forward to getting back to healthier eating.  That started with dinner last night.  I think we may have overdone it a little on this trip, but we both agreed, that we learned a lot about when to stop, and when enough was enough or "worth it".  We did do a lot of walking and hiking, so that balanced things out some.  Had a terrific massage and enjoyed the hot water spring baths, and that helped my back some.  It was perfect timing for this trip after all we've done since Sept 18th.  We may just have a handle on this food "thing"...LOL.   We have a plan for a healthy Thanksgiving meal, and we also have discussed a few Christmas parties we will attend and how to approach them.  This is so much easier with my wife on board, and we are both in it for the long haul this time.

It was nice to catch up on everyone's journey and I hope you folks keep checking in.

Have a great day!

Mike

23 hours ago, Mike5858 said:

Good Morning Everyone!  I got back from my trip to Hot Springs yesterday afternoon around 5pm, and then had to do to my first condo association meeting last night, so this is my first chance to check in.  Looks like everyone is doing well, and finding their own way.  I think that was the point all along.  ;)

My trip went great.  We had healthy car snacks on the trip there (6 hour drive), and then went into "vacation mode" after arrival.  We had outstanding gourmet pizza and wine not long after we got there and that sort of set the tone for the weekend.  We were pretty much W30 compliant for breakfast (except for the morning we split a blueberry pancake that was terrific!), stayed light at lunch, and then cut loose a little for dinner.  Pasta one night, steak another, and then some fish.  small amounts of bread and drinks.  We did find a cupcake shop that had been on "Cupcake Wars" on the Food Channel and it was simply amazing.  We allowed ourselves one cupcake per day, and really felt it was "worth it".  I have to say that the increase in sugar and gluten did leave me feeling bloated and a little lazy late in the day.  My wife and I talked about the experience on the drive home, and both agreed we were looking forward to getting back to healthier eating.  That started with dinner last night.  I think we may have overdone it a little on this trip, but we both agreed, that we learned a lot about when to stop, and when enough was enough or "worth it".  We did do a lot of walking and hiking, so that balanced things out some.  Had a terrific massage and enjoyed the hot water spring baths, and that helped my back some.  It was perfect timing for this trip after all we've done since Sept 18th.  We may just have a handle on this food "thing"...LOL.   We have a plan for a healthy Thanksgiving meal, and we also have discussed a few Christmas parties we will attend and how to approach them.  This is so much easier with my wife on board, and we are both in it for the long haul this time.

It was nice to catch up on everyone's journey and I hope you folks keep checking in.

Have a great day!

Mike

Glad y'all had a relaxing vaca, Mike.  Glad you're still rocking the FFF lifestyle!  Which cupcake shop did you go to?  I LOVE cupcake wars!  

2 hours ago, dmrob2009 said:

Glad y'all had a relaxing vaca, Mike.  Glad you're still rocking the FFF lifestyle!  Which cupcake shop did you go to?  I LOVE cupcake wars!  

It was called "Fat Bottomed Girls".  The s'more cupcake is to die for!  LOL  I don't miss sweets all that much, but it's a good thing this shop isn't nearby!

So, I think I should be getting fees for endorsing the "Well Fed" series of cookbooks!  Just kidding, but they really are fabulous, and not just recipes, but tips and tricks for the Paleo lifestyle on the website as well.  I've been all over the "weeknights" version of the books lately, and have fallen in love with the "Velvet Stir Fry" variations.  

"Weeknights" are supposed to be meals that can be completed in 45 minutes or less.  I can do most of them in that time, and with a little pre-prep it would be easy.  I gave a shout out to the author, Melissa Joulwan, on Instagram the other day, and she responded to me personally, within the hour, which I thought was very cool.  My own personal version of "Food Freedom" is taking a real Paleo path, with exceptions made when "it's worth it".  It's working,  and although I've had the issue with my back (which is getting much better), I do feel good most of the time, which is better than half the time or less as I was pre-Whole 30.  I continue to drop weight slowly and sustainably.  I'm starting to hear a lot of compliments on my apperance, that I didn't hear at the end of W30 (I've always been a little slow :P).  It's hard to believe that we all started this journey together on Sept 18th and today is Nov 18th.  I really want to keep this going to the best of my ability.  I know I'll slip now and then, but as long as movement is in an overall forward direction, I'm good with it.  I hope you all are well.  I am going to continue to check in now and then, and hope you all do the same.  You folks have meant a lot to me during W30 and beyond. You are all in my thoughts often.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Mike

16 hours ago, Mike5858 said:

So, I think I should be getting fees for endorsing the "Well Fed" series of cookbooks!  Just kidding, but they really are fabulous, and not just recipes, but tips and tricks for the Paleo lifestyle on the website as well.  I've been all over the "weeknights" version of the books lately, and have fallen in love with the "Velvet Stir Fry" variations.  

"Weeknights" are supposed to be meals that can be completed in 45 minutes or less.  I can do most of them in that time, and with a little pre-prep it would be easy.  I gave a shout out to the author, Melissa Joulwan, on Instagram the other day, and she responded to me personally, within the hour, which I thought was very cool.  My own personal version of "Food Freedom" is taking a real Paleo path, with exceptions made when "it's worth it".  It's working,  and although I've had the issue with my back (which is getting much better), I do feel good most of the time, which is better than half the time or less as I was pre-Whole 30.  I continue to drop weight slowly and sustainably.  I'm starting to hear a lot of compliments on my apperance, that I didn't hear at the end of W30 (I've always been a little slow :P).  It's hard to believe that we all started this journey together on Sept 18th and today is Nov 18th.  I really want to keep this going to the best of my ability.  I know I'll slip now and then, but as long as movement is in an overall forward direction, I'm good with it.  I hope you all are well.  I am going to continue to check in now and then, and hope you all do the same.  You folks have meant a lot to me during W30 and beyond. You are all in my thoughts often.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Mike

You continue to inspire me, Mike!!! I have Well Fed 2.  Maybe I should get the first book.  Have a happy holiday!!!

2 hours ago, dmrob2009 said:

You continue to inspire me, Mike!!! I have Well Fed 2.  Maybe I should get the first book.  Have a happy holiday!!!

I would suggest Well Fed Weeknights.  Great recipes, and quicker to make.  I find myself falling back to that one the most.  You have a great holiday too!!

Happy Monday everyone.  Well, yesterday turned out interesting as we hosted some friends for a house warming get together.  I made slow cooker chili from the Whole 30 slow cooker cookbook the day before, and we grilled hamburgers, had cut up veggies, guacamole, and salsa.  We had some tortilla chips and hamburger buns available for the guests and lots of wine.  The guests brought some various salads, drinks and desserts.  I did well, had no bread or chips, just a hamburger patty with onion and tomato, some chili, two glasses of wine, and a very small piece of pie, that I just couldn't turn down.  I ended up getting grilled on how the Whole 30 worked, and I'm glad I had read "Food Freedom Forever", because it talks about how to deal with questions, comments, and complaints from friends and family.  I didn't get preachy at all, but it was hard since two of the guests were convinced it was some sort of "extreme" diet where you couldn't eat "anything that tasted good".  Although I had done the Whole 30 and read the book, I wasn't as good a source as "a girl at work"...LOL.  I just sort of went with it, and changed the subject as soon as I could.  Later one of the guests came up to me while I was eating pie, and said, "I guess you quit your diet, huh?", with sort of a smug smile on her face.  I told her no, "I couldn't eat pie for 30 days, but now it's up to me what and when I eat things that are "worth it" to me.  I was trying to explain that to you folks".  I then explained that I felt good, have lost over 20 pounds, and I'm drinking wine and eating pie with them.  Before the end of the party, I loaned out my Whole 30 book to one of the guests.  :D

I hope everyone has a great holiday week!

Mike

Hey Mike! 

How wonderful.. Congratulations! I just finished Food Freedom Forever and found it so encouraging over the last few weeks as I've threatened to revert back to old habits. It's so refreshing to see that you can live this way comfortably and happily. I will admit I'm finding it harder now that all the holiday fare has come into the stores.. but like you, and the book, keep saying "is it worth it?". For me, right now, it isn't. I don't want to waste my time on taste-less store bought candy.. I want to save my tastebuds for some decadent cakes and pies over the holidays!

Today is two months since I first started W30 and i found myself looking back through photos on facebook. As most of you will know, I wasn't incredibly happy with the 'number on the scale' at the end of my W30, even though most of my NSVs were really good for me. When I take the time to notice, I see how I am still so much more aware about my eating habits, enjoy cooking and trying new versions of old meals, sleep better and have more energy and a happier, more resilient approach to life. Things that would have stressed me out and upset me before, are still really tough, but I'm ok to just deal with them. I still haven't weighed myself since Day 31, even though I am still consistently eating "Whole" (but just not as strictly compliant) and I'm happy not knowing. My clothes and the extra pep in my step is enough for me right now.

When finishing the book last night, I did worry about how Melissa says "it will always be tough".. but rather than think of it as a 'forever' type thing, i'm concentrating on each day, each meal, each occasion, like she suggested and using the strategies when and where I can. I'm excited to see how this goes and thank you @Mike5858 for sharing how to handle questions, comments (positive and a bit more negative) and just how you are getting on with things. I am going on vacation to Italy in early December and hoping to re-read your post about your weekend trip before I go to give me an extra boost!!!!

happy Monday everyone and hope you are enjoying the build up to the holidays!

Sinead

1 hour ago, SineadMon said:

Hey Mike! 

How wonderful.. Congratulations! I just finished Food Freedom Forever and found it so encouraging over the last few weeks as I've threatened to revert back to old habits. It's so refreshing to see that you can live this way comfortably and happily. I will admit I'm finding it harder now that all the holiday fare has come into the stores.. but like you, and the book, keep saying "is it worth it?". For me, right now, it isn't. I don't want to waste my time on taste-less store bought candy.. I want to save my tastebuds for some decadent cakes and pies over the holidays!

Today is two months since I first started W30 and i found myself looking back through photos on facebook. As most of you will know, I wasn't incredibly happy with the 'number on the scale' at the end of my W30, even though most of my NSVs were really good for me. When I take the time to notice, I see how I am still so much more aware about my eating habits, enjoy cooking and trying new versions of old meals, sleep better and have more energy and a happier, more resilient approach to life. Things that would have stressed me out and upset me before, are still really tough, but I'm ok to just deal with them. I still haven't weighed myself since Day 31, even though I am still consistently eating "Whole" (but just not as strictly compliant) and I'm happy not knowing. My clothes and the extra pep in my step is enough for me right now.

When finishing the book last night, I did worry about how Melissa says "it will always be tough".. but rather than think of it as a 'forever' type thing, i'm concentrating on each day, each meal, each occasion, like she suggested and using the strategies when and where I can. I'm excited to see how this goes and thank you @Mike5858 for sharing how to handle questions, comments (positive and a bit more negative) and just how you are getting on with things. I am going on vacation to Italy in early December and hoping to re-read your post about your weekend trip before I go to give me an extra boost!!!!

happy Monday everyone and hope you are enjoying the build up to the holidays!

Sinead

You're doing great!  What helped me on vacation was being very strictly W30 compliant the week before I went (not hard), and going back to being strictly compliant for the first 5 days after (this was harder, but very doable! I let up on myself after a few days).  Doing it this way, made the decisions of "is it worth it?" a little easier, because of a feeling I "earned" it.  Getting right back to strict eating, as soon as I got back, helped keep me from spinning out of control, and I am SO happy I did.  I think, using this mind set, will help me get through vacations in the future.  Holidays are easier to plan for too, because you kind of know what you're walking into.  It's those "spur of the moment" temptations that will be hardest for me.  You've got this Sinead, you know what to do and how to do it.

That being said, if you go to Italy and don't eat some pasta, drink some wine and enjoy some gellato, I don't care what Melissa herself would say, they shouldn't let you back in the country!!  :P

Hey, everyone!  

Glad to hear from some of y'all!  I have been doing well in some areas and not so well in others.  I rarely eat between meals anymore but life has been so busy for me that I've done things like eat a sandwich for lunch on occasion or snack on some chips rather than eat a whole meal.  I'm a little concerned about the holidays but I find these last few posts to be very inspiring.  Congrats on the weight loss, Mike.  Mine has been minimal, but I know exactly where I'm going wrong and what I need to do about it.  

Happy holidays!  

Happy Thanskgiving everyone! This year I am so grateful for finding this group, which really helped me start my health journey. 60 days ago I decided, in pure frustration, to do a W30 and in accidentally posting to your group, found the best support network possible!!! I know the road ahead is going to be filled with new experiences - some good, some bad - but I will always remember how amazing it felt to complete my W30 alongside you all.

I'm looking forward to seeing how today goes - no expectations, no rules, no judgement - but just exploring how I feel with all this amazing food. Let's see how it goes! Have a great day :):) 

1 hour ago, SineadMon said:

Happy Thanskgiving everyone! This year I am so grateful for finding this group, which really helped me start my health journey. 60 days ago I decided, in pure frustration, to do a W30 and in accidentally posting to your group, found the best support network possible!!! I know the road ahead is going to be filled with new experiences - some good, some bad - but I will always remember how amazing it felt to complete my W30 alongside you all.

I'm looking forward to seeing how today goes - no expectations, no rules, no judgement - but just exploring how I feel with all this amazing food. Let's see how it goes! Have a great day :):) 

I, too, am Thankful for everyone in this thread.  Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

Happy Monday Everyone!  I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and enjoyed time with friends and family.  We did well with the meal, and stayed pretty good no stuffing, no gravy, no bread).  I did have a slice of cherry pie, that was worth every bite, and some wine.  I went for a long walk with the dog after dinner, so that was a little different than years past.  Overall, I'm felling well, and continue to move forward.  I'm finding that I eat too many potatoes, and my portions are still a little big as my weight loss has slowed some.  I'll be working on that moving forward.  I'm also having drinks more often (just one or two) as the opportunities arise more this time of year.  I'm just doing the best I can, and not worrying about it.  All in all, things are going forward and that's all that matters, not the rate.  I have to keep reminding myself that it's only been a little over two months since I started on this journey, and that's no time at all really.  I hope to hear from you folks again soon, I too am thankful for all of you!

Enjoy today!

Mike

PS:  I made an awesome turkey/vegetable soup with leftovers that has me happy.  I hope to make variations of this soup to get us through the winter as I think I can eat it at least 2-3 times a week.  Just need to change up the meats and veggies!

Hi, Mike!

So good to hear from you!  I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving.  Mine was good, too.  I did better than usual, I must say.  Not as good as you did, but better than usual.  I'm reeling it back in now, as I have a trip to visit cousins that I haven't seen in ages coming up at the end of the week.  I want to get my set point at or near W 30 before then.  It's so much easier that way.

At any rate, happy holidays!!!  Its the most wonderful time of the year!  Enjoy it!!:)

Archived