Sept 18 start date reintro

dmrob2009

Hi all! Great to hear from you all.. 

My thanksgiving was also a success (relative to other years!). I made some sensible choices throughout the day and when i decided to have a food that wasn't 'compliant' or I knew didn't suit me, I enjoyed every bite of it e.g. the most amazing pecan pie and cream! I felt pretty good afterwards.. a walk would have been a great idea, should have thought of that @Mike5858, but I was too busy talking with friends and family. I did exercise over the weekend to help keep my body moving and that was great. 

I will admit I did have a fleeting thought of 'oh why the hell not' over Thanksgiving day and weekend.. I was so tempted to just give in to all the holiday candy and treats. But I tried to remind myself of this journey and the fact that I can have all of those things if I want them, but to really really ask and see if I want them. The last few days have been really stressful with work and I've been a little more emotional than usual (I miss my family a lot during the holidays and find it hard coming into the Christmas period too!). Again, I've been so tempted to return to old habits - and the taste of that pie is drawing me back in for more. But again, I'm trying to find other ways to comfort and reward myself (relaxing evenings by the fire, a good book, cosy pjs, a call with friends). As you said @Mike5858, we only started this journey two months ago and so any step forward is in the right direction - rather than trying to see results or short-term changes.

@dmrob2009 it is always a little easier when there is something to work towards... know that you will enjoy seeing your cousins and family, and being W30 for a few days will be easier when you're planning the trip and focusing on that visit! Good luck with it, but enjoy it which is more important. 

As you said @dmrob2009, its a really wonderful time of the year and we should all feel proud and empowered by our lifestyle changes and achievements - irrespective of what happens as we move forward!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SineadMon said:

Hi all! Great to hear from you all.. 

My thanksgiving was also a success (relative to other years!). I made some sensible choices throughout the day and when i decided to have a food that wasn't 'compliant' or I knew didn't suit me, I enjoyed every bite of it e.g. the most amazing pecan pie and cream! I felt pretty good afterwards.. a walk would have been a great idea, should have thought of that @Mike5858, but I was too busy talking with friends and family. I did exercise over the weekend to help keep my body moving and that was great. 

I will admit I did have a fleeting thought of 'oh why the hell not' over Thanksgiving day and weekend.. I was so tempted to just give in to all the holiday candy and treats. But I tried to remind myself of this journey and the fact that I can have all of those things if I want them, but to really really ask and see if I want them. The last few days have been really stressful with work and I've been a little more emotional than usual (I miss my family a lot during the holidays and find it hard coming into the Christmas period too!). Again, I've been so tempted to return to old habits - and the taste of that pie is drawing me back in for more. But again, I'm trying to find other ways to comfort and reward myself (relaxing evenings by the fire, a good book, cosy pjs, a call with friends). As you said @Mike5858, we only started this journey two months ago and so any step forward is in the right direction - rather than trying to see results or short-term changes.

@dmrob2009 it is always a little easier when there is something to work towards... know that you will enjoy seeing your cousins and family, and being W30 for a few days will be easier when you're planning the trip and focusing on that visit! Good luck with it, but enjoy it which is more important. 

As you said @dmrob2009, its a really wonderful time of the year and we should all feel proud and empowered by our lifestyle changes and achievements - irrespective of what happens as we move forward!

I miss my family, too.  We moved to the Pacific NW and most of my family is in TX.  

I've been drinking more red wine than I'd like to admit.  A couple of glasses in the evenings.  Sigh.  Something about that holidays that makes me want to celebrate nonstop.  LOL. Great to hear from you, @SineadMon!

Good Morning Everyone!

I hope everyone is doing well.  I have good news to report.  My back is MUCH better and I've been to the gym three times this week, with no set backs.  It feels so good to be back there.  It's like an early Christmas present!  :D

I did have one very tough day this week though, and thankfully it turned out ok.  Yesterday morning, my wife had an emotional meltdown over our healthy eating.  She didn't want to eat breakfast.  She said she was tired of not having pasta, bread, pizza, etc.  She felt like Christmas was being ruined, because she couldn't have Christmas cookies, hot chocolate, candy, etc.  She knew I was "all in", but she just couldn't do it anymore.  It was tough to sit there and listen to her vent, but I did.  She was on the verge of tears and it made me feel awful.  What had I done?  I had convinced her to go on this journey with me, thinking it would be "what was best" for both of us.  Had I added stress to her life instead?  Was I really ruining Christmas for her?  It was the very last thing I had wanted to do.  I told her, we could do anything she wanted.  She didn't say much and then left for work.  Through the day I began to realize I couldn't make choices for her.  I'm the one who had done all the research, read "The Whole 30" book and "Food Freedom Forever".  She wasn't interested in reading them, and trusted me to have the answers.  I had everything to make a healthy meal for us that night (from a recipe I found in Well Fed 2), but stopped off at the bakery and bought two Christmas cookies to surprise her with.  When she came home, I made dinner and she acted as if the morning meltdown had never happened.  I made some decaf coffee, and we sat down to watch some TV.  I got up at one point and retrieved the cookies, saying with a smile, "these should go good with coffee".  She started to cry.  She said she was just having a bad morning and she wanted to "stay on the path", and that she was so sorry for unloading on me like that.  I told her not to worry about it, and then did the best I could to explain the idea of "is it worth it?" that I learned from reading "Food Freedom Forever".  When I was done, I said, "right now I think these cookies are worth it".  We both laughed and those might have been the best Christmas cookies I've had in many years.  This morning I made oatmeal for breakfast, topped with fresh blueberries.  Oatmeal isn't "Whole 30" or "Paleo", but you know what?  It's good for you, and won't kill us, and gives my wife a break from all the eggs, etc we've been eating every morning.  We talked a lot about how we are going to move forward with our lifestyle change this morning.  We are going to be ok, and I'm a lucky guy.

Thanks for letting me spill my feelings this morning.  I hope all of you have a great day!

Mike

23 hours ago, Mike5858 said:

Good Morning Everyone!

I hope everyone is doing well.  I have good news to report.  My back is MUCH better and I've been to the gym three times this week, with no set backs.  It feels so good to be back there.  It's like an early Christmas present!  :D

I did have one very tough day this week though, and thankfully it turned out ok.  Yesterday morning, my wife had an emotional meltdown over our healthy eating.  She didn't want to eat breakfast.  She said she was tired of not having pasta, bread, pizza, etc.  She felt like Christmas was being ruined, because she couldn't have Christmas cookies, hot chocolate, candy, etc.  She knew I was "all in", but she just couldn't do it anymore.  It was tough to sit there and listen to her vent, but I did.  She was on the verge of tears and it made me feel awful.  What had I done?  I had convinced her to go on this journey with me, thinking it would be "what was best" for both of us.  Had I added stress to her life instead?  Was I really ruining Christmas for her?  It was the very last thing I had wanted to do.  I told her, we could do anything she wanted.  She didn't say much and then left for work.  Through the day I began to realize I couldn't make choices for her.  I'm the one who had done all the research, read "The Whole 30" book and "Food Freedom Forever".  She wasn't interested in reading them, and trusted me to have the answers.  I had everything to make a healthy meal for us that night (from a recipe I found in Well Fed 2), but stopped off at the bakery and bought two Christmas cookies to surprise her with.  When she came home, I made dinner and she acted as if the morning meltdown had never happened.  I made some decaf coffee, and we sat down to watch some TV.  I got up at one point and retrieved the cookies, saying with a smile, "these should go good with coffee".  She started to cry.  She said she was just having a bad morning and she wanted to "stay on the path", and that she was so sorry for unloading on me like that.  I told her not to worry about it, and then did the best I could to explain the idea of "is it worth it?" that I learned from reading "Food Freedom Forever".  When I was done, I said, "right now I think these cookies are worth it".  We both laughed and those might have been the best Christmas cookies I've had in many years.  This morning I made oatmeal for breakfast, topped with fresh blueberries.  Oatmeal isn't "Whole 30" or "Paleo", but you know what?  It's good for you, and won't kill us, and gives my wife a break from all the eggs, etc we've been eating every morning.  We talked a lot about how we are going to move forward with our lifestyle change this morning.  We are going to be ok, and I'm a lucky guy.

Thanks for letting me spill my feelings this morning.  I hope all of you have a great day!

Mike

Mike, I totally understand the conundrum.  On one hand, you've got optimum health that, let's face it,gets a little boring at times.  Then on the flop side of that, you've got the holidays and all of the joy and fun food that comes with it.  I think the key here is a happy medium.  Have some fun, just like you did with the cookies, and then your wife will likely choose the path of food freedom forever right along with you.  Good job recognizing her need for a little fun and rolling with it!  Merry Christmas!!!

1 hour ago, dmrob2009 said:

Mike, I totally understand the conundrum.  On one hand, you've got optimum health that, let's face it,gets a little boring at times.  Then on the flop side of that, you've got the holidays and all of the joy and fun food that comes with it.  I think the key here is a happy medium.  Have some fun, just like you did with the cookies, and then your wife will likely choose the path of food freedom forever right along with you.  Good job recognizing her need for a little fun and rolling with it!  Merry Christmas!!!

I understand.  What I need to work on is the fact that we all have those "things" about holidays and events that are triggers for us and they may all be different.  To be honest, I find most Christmas cookies (the sugar cookie topped with icing and sprinkles) kind of boring.  That's not to say I haven't eaten thousands of them over the years, just that those are easy for me to pass up.  Not so with my wife, she loves them, and I have to remember that.  It was really hard for me to not have mashed potatoes, and stuffing and gravy at Thanksgiving dinner, but my wife didn't miss those things at all.  I think we'll need to learn to communicate with each other better moving forward.  I honestly don't care if she eats a cookie in front of me, as long as it was "worth it" to her.  I would never judge her for that.  We'll get there, it's different for everyone, even if you've been married a long time.  I hope to have everything on auto-pilot by next summer, because the idea of not having a brat on a bun with all the fixin's, a big pile of potato salad, and wash it all down with a few cold beers on the 4th of July terrifies me way more than anything about Christmas!  :lol:

Hi all.  I also got through Thanksgiving.  I did have bites of mashed potatoes, gravy and stuffing, but only bites.  Not plates full.  It WAS worth it.  No pie, I don't have a sweet tooth and don't care for baked things, so it wasn't a big deal.  The thing was, in the past I would have eaten a piece to be polite.  This time, I just said "no thanks" and nobody cared.  I was at Lake Tahoe with friends, and we did go walking (so beautiful there).  Not a lot, the altitude (6000ish feet) got to us a bit (I'm in Florida at sea level.)  I did have wine, also, it sounds like we are all kind of realizing what we can have and still feel good.  I also got through the work Christmas dinner last night easily.  I've done enough testing so far that I feel pretty good about what bothers me and what does not.  A little cheese, few bites of gluten, and a little wine don't bother me.  So, we went to a very nice steak house restaurant, and had a selection of entrees and dessert with family style sides at each table.  A piece of grilled salmon on a bed of spinach worked for me, and I had bites of the creamed spinach and garlic mashed potatoes from the table.  Instead of the heavy chocolate dessert, I had fresh berries with a bit of cream.  Red wine.  Left feeling good, slept well, and felt good this morning.

I consider myself no longer w30 compliant, not even really paleo compliant, but I am finding that staying pretty paleo at home and just having selected bites of other things when out is working well for me.  My stomach doesn't rumble like it used to, I sleep better, and overall I just feel good.  I've learned so much about whole foods and reading labels, as well as altered some of my ways of cooking.  I'm glad everyone is doing well.  

19 hours ago, CorgiLover said:

Hi all.  I also got through Thanksgiving.  I did have bites of mashed potatoes, gravy and stuffing, but only bites.  Not plates full.  It WAS worth it.  No pie, I don't have a sweet tooth and don't care for baked things, so it wasn't a big deal.  The thing was, in the past I would have eaten a piece to be polite.  This time, I just said "no thanks" and nobody cared.  I was at Lake Tahoe with friends, and we did go walking (so beautiful there).  Not a lot, the altitude (6000ish feet) got to us a bit (I'm in Florida at sea level.)  I did have wine, also, it sounds like we are all kind of realizing what we can have and still feel good.  I also got through the work Christmas dinner last night easily.  I've done enough testing so far that I feel pretty good about what bothers me and what does not.  A little cheese, few bites of gluten, and a little wine don't bother me.  So, we went to a very nice steak house restaurant, and had a selection of entrees and dessert with family style sides at each table.  A piece of grilled salmon on a bed of spinach worked for me, and I had bites of the creamed spinach and garlic mashed potatoes from the table.  Instead of the heavy chocolate dessert, I had fresh berries with a bit of cream.  Red wine.  Left feeling good, slept well, and felt good this morning.

I consider myself no longer w30 compliant, not even really paleo compliant, but I am finding that staying pretty paleo at home and just having selected bites of other things when out is working well for me.  My stomach doesn't rumble like it used to, I sleep better, and overall I just feel good.  I've learned so much about whole foods and reading labels, as well as altered some of my ways of cooking.  I'm glad everyone is doing well.  

CorgiLover, It is good to hear from you.  It sounds like you had a nice Thanksgiving and that you're doing well.  Glad to hear that.  I'm not W30 compliant either, nor 100% Paleo, but like you, I'm doing the best I can.  My goal from the beginning was to be "good" 80-90% of the time, and I think I can say I'm there at this point.  I think it will be even easier to stay there after the holidays have passed and there's not as much temptation.  Like you, I've learned a lot about whole foods, label reading, and what does and doesn't make me feel good.  I will forever be a believer in the W30 program and the positive effects it has.  I still do a lot of reading about Paleo lifestyles and belong to several groups and websites now, but I always come back here.  I hope this group pops in from time to time as we have.  I enjoy hearing about everyone's successes and always am available to vent to as well.  We are coming up on three months since beginning this journey, and I can honestly say at this point, it's one of the better decisions I've ever made.  I still have a long way to go to get to where I'd like to be, but everyday (well, most days) is a step in the right direction for the most part.  I hope you continue to have a great holiday season.

Mike

Hi, all.

Great to hear from both of you, @CorgiLover and @Mike5858!  Sounds like y'all are doing well!

My trip to TX was amazing.  Got to see so many people that I never get to see.  I totally fell off the wagon while there.  To many cocktails, too much bread.  Sigh.  I'm working to get back in clean mode now.  I literally have no relatives who eat like I do, which makes it very difficult (psychologically and physically) to be good.  Also, drinking makes for poor eating decisions.  I think I'm ahead for recognizing this, but I've still not mastered this lifestyle.  My goal is 80/20.  I'm more like 75/25 at home and downright "non-compliant" when I travel.  I'd like to get better at the traveling thing.  Still nursing a hangover that is two days old.  My cousins are all younger than me... LOL.  I just can't hang anymore.  The Uber thing makes it so easy to be irresponsible.  Definitely had fun but paying the price now and DEFINITELY learned from this experience.  I hope everyone is having a fabulous holiday season.  I really love this time of year!!!

Hi all! Great to hear from you guys.

@dmrob2009 I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip and it sounds like your awareness and recognition of how things are is really helpful. Knowing is half the battle and just being aware of this is something that can really support you going forward. The 80/20 or 75/25 model is good too.. but know that we are living creatures too, and in this festive environment, it's hard to be compliant all the time. Hope your hangover clears though!!!!

@CorgiLover great experience at Thanksgiving.. honestly, that is exactly how I would like my Christmas to unfold. My sweet tooth is something nasty and when the sugar dragon is awakened, i just can't kill it. I've been trying to do a complete avoidance of sugar, but recently it's started to creep back in and while I know I need to focus on my "worth-it's" (so so true and such a good benchmark or guideline to use @Mike5858), I'm kinda finding a lot of things can be justified as 'worth-it' this time of the year. 

I fell straight back into old negative patterns yesterday... not even in a 'holiday mode' way, or in a planned way, I basically have been battling stress and a lot of anxiety over work the last week. I woke up yesterday morning and boyfriend was leaving for a work trip in Europe, I had worked a 15 hour day on Wednesday, and so - in addition to the stress and anxiety that was already built up - I was exhausted, had a dreadful headache and still a MOUNTAIN of end-of-semester grading work to do. I knew I was craving chocolate and snacks, but what I really wanted was to unwind, destress and just chill out. Rather than make a logical and positive decision for my body and my health (like go for a walk or take a bath), i started to emotionally eat all the candy i could find. To be honest, I didn't go out and buy any more (which I was very tempted to do!) but this was the first time I had engaged in emotional eating behavior like that, or eaten that amount of candy and sugar-laden foods, since starting the W30 in Sept.

I was, and still am, very disappointed in myself as I knew I could have avoided it if I listened to what my body really wanted or asked 'was it worth-it' or just stopped at one bag of M&Ms. However, like you said @dmrob2009 I am so aware of my behavior. I woke up this morning and made a compliant breakfast. I've recognized there is nothing I can do about yesterday and it's not a 'failure' because I completely went against what I know is right for my body. Instead, I'm taking this as part of my journey. Knowing that some days, we aren't perfect or even close to it, and you just have to go back to what we know.

I'm sorry for sharing a more emotional part of my eating behavior and patterns rather than a more 'compliant/non-compliant' post... but I felt it was important for me to get this off my chest and acknowledge it. You guys have always been so supportive and I know this is a good network to turn to for support. Also, I know we all have very busy lives and so my 'stress and anxiety' isn't any less or more than anyone else here - it's just that I couldn't handle it in that moment or during the last week.

I not planning on jumping back into a W30 or being completely compliant the next few days... but I do want to return to the model and framework of the program because I know it suits me. I always want to try and rest and destress because all of the candy has helped me get through the grading, but not alleviated the mental stresses!

Also, I just wanted to say @Mike5858 thank you SO SO SO much for sharing that story about your wife... the experience you described is exactly how I have felt the last few weeks and so it was so comforting to see that someone else feels it too AND, more importantly, how you dealt with it. When my boyfriend gets back from Europe, I'm going to be sharing it with him!!!! 

Thanks you guys and enjoy the festivities! (sorry for the really long post!)

53 minutes ago, SineadMon said:

Hi all! Great to hear from you guys.

@dmrob2009 I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip and it sounds like your awareness and recognition of how things are is really helpful. Knowing is half the battle and just being aware of this is something that can really support you going forward. The 80/20 or 75/25 model is good too.. but know that we are living creatures too, and in this festive environment, it's hard to be compliant all the time. Hope your hangover clears though!!!!

@CorgiLover great experience at Thanksgiving.. honestly, that is exactly how I would like my Christmas to unfold. My sweet tooth is something nasty and when the sugar dragon is awakened, i just can't kill it. I've been trying to do a complete avoidance of sugar, but recently it's started to creep back in and while I know I need to focus on my "worth-it's" (so so true and such a good benchmark or guideline to use @Mike5858), I'm kinda finding a lot of things can be justified as 'worth-it' this time of the year. 

I fell straight back into old negative patterns yesterday... not even in a 'holiday mode' way, or in a planned way, I basically have been battling stress and a lot of anxiety over work the last week. I woke up yesterday morning and boyfriend was leaving for a work trip in Europe, I had worked a 15 hour day on Wednesday, and so - in addition to the stress and anxiety that was already built up - I was exhausted, had a dreadful headache and still a MOUNTAIN of end-of-semester grading work to do. I knew I was craving chocolate and snacks, but what I really wanted was to unwind, destress and just chill out. Rather than make a logical and positive decision for my body and my health (like go for a walk or take a bath), i started to emotionally eat all the candy i could find. To be honest, I didn't go out and buy any more (which I was very tempted to do!) but this was the first time I had engaged in emotional eating behavior like that, or eaten that amount of candy and sugar-laden foods, since starting the W30 in Sept.

I was, and still am, very disappointed in myself as I knew I could have avoided it if I listened to what my body really wanted or asked 'was it worth-it' or just stopped at one bag of M&Ms. However, like you said @dmrob2009 I am so aware of my behavior. I woke up this morning and made a compliant breakfast. I've recognized there is nothing I can do about yesterday and it's not a 'failure' because I completely went against what I know is right for my body. Instead, I'm taking this as part of my journey. Knowing that some days, we aren't perfect or even close to it, and you just have to go back to what we know.

I'm sorry for sharing a more emotional part of my eating behavior and patterns rather than a more 'compliant/non-compliant' post... but I felt it was important for me to get this off my chest and acknowledge it. You guys have always been so supportive and I know this is a good network to turn to for support. Also, I know we all have very busy lives and so my 'stress and anxiety' isn't any less or more than anyone else here - it's just that I couldn't handle it in that moment or during the last week.

I not planning on jumping back into a W30 or being completely compliant the next few days... but I do want to return to the model and framework of the program because I know it suits me. I always want to try and rest and destress because all of the candy has helped me get through the grading, but not alleviated the mental stresses!

Also, I just wanted to say @Mike5858 thank you SO SO SO much for sharing that story about your wife... the experience you described is exactly how I have felt the last few weeks and so it was so comforting to see that someone else feels it too AND, more importantly, how you dealt with it. When my boyfriend gets back from Europe, I'm going to be sharing it with him!!!! 

Thanks you guys and enjoy the festivities! (sorry for the really long post!)

@SineadMon you are doing a fabulous job of learning about yourself which, at the end of the day, is what this journey is all about.  I'm finding it difficult to get back on track, but I know I'll be able to do it.  Right now,my body is craving more of what it's been given in recent times.  Once it's out of the 'ol system, I know the cravings will disappear.  Keep up the good work and just revel in the fact that the candy was yummy and now you're back on track.  You're not beating yourself up and eating more candy, which is a win, in my book.  Keep enjoying the holidays!  Only comes once a year!!

Happy Monday Everyone!  Sounds like we are all having some "ups and downs" as we get through the holidays, but the silver lining is that we are all aware and no one is giving up.  I got through two holiday parties over the weekend, where I ate ok, with minimal slip ups( we hosted one and I made all W30 compliant snacks and main course that went over very well), but drank more alcohol than I probably should have.  It's Monday now and I'm back on the horse, forgiving myself, understanding that I had a great time with great friends, and I'm moving in the right direction.  Just a few more holiday hoops to get through, and then it's a new year, and all the knowledge and optimism that it will bring.  The bad news right now is that my weight loss has stalled over the past two weeks, the good news is, I haven't gained anything either.  I'm calling that a big win!  Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories and being so open.  It helps more than you'll ever know.  Nobody ever said this journey would be easy, and I don't see any quitters in our group!  Continue to enjoy the holidays and take the next few weeks "one meal at a time".  Stay in touch!

Mike

8 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

Happy Monday Everyone!  Sounds like we are all having some "ups and downs" as we get through the holidays, but the silver lining is that we are all aware and no one is giving up.  I got through two holiday parties over the weekend, where I ate ok, with minimal slip ups( we hosted one and I made all W30 compliant snacks and main course that went over very well), but drank more alcohol than I probably should have.  It's Monday now and I'm back on the horse, forgiving myself, understanding that I had a great time with great friends, and I'm moving in the right direction.  Just a few more holiday hoops to get through, and then it's a new year, and all the knowledge and optimism that it will bring.  The bad news right now is that my weight loss has stalled over the past two weeks, the good news is, I haven't gained anything either.  I'm calling that a big win!  Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories and being so open.  It helps more than you'll ever know.  Nobody ever said this journey would be easy, and I don't see any quitters in our group!  Continue to enjoy the holidays and take the next few weeks "one meal at a time".  Stay in touch!

Mike

That's great, Mike!  I think I've put on a couple of pounds, but I decided that I'm going primal until our festivities on the 23rd (Festivus), Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, at which time I fully intend to enjoy myself and not worry about anything, except a little portion control.  My hubs and I  were super thin and starting to get ripped in 2012 following the Primal Blueprint and I didn't feel the slightest bit deprived, so we are giving that another shot.  I'm investing in the Beach Body on Demand, by recommendation of my fit cousins who live busy lifestyles.  It's hard to find a good gym within driving distance where I live.

The holidays tend to really get me off track, so I'm trying to reign it in for the next couple of weeks to save face, so to speak. LOL I feel like I'll be happier in the long run that way.

Happy Monday, all!

Good morning all!

@dmrob2009 I wanted to reply yesterday as I read your response yesterday morning and it really changed my focus and approach to the day! I had a work holiday party on Saturday and ate more cake and cookies than I would have liked... what made it worse was that Saturday evening after getting home I had a 'what the hell" moment and ended up going to the store for dinner and getting pizza, chips and some candy (I know @Mike5858 - exactly what they tell us to avoid in FFF). So when I woke up yesterday morning, I was really tough on myself, as well as physically feeling awful from the foods I know don't suit me. I was so ready to just keep going and was thinking "oh well, I'll just get back to it in January" and feeling really deflated. After reading your message, it reminded me that I was stronger than the cravings, and that these feelings were just the effects of the awful food I had. So yesterday, I went for a walk, cooked a lovely dinner and just got back to my normal routine!

The holidays are so tough, but as you both said, it's a journey! We are so much further along than when we started in September. I've also been quite deflated by the weight loss - as you both know, I didn't lose as much during my W30 as I had hoped (6lbs down on the scale) even though I felt better and my clothes fit better. What has been hard for me is that people haven't really noticed that I am looking (a little!) leaner and fresher. I can see it, in my skin and my clothes, but no one has mentioned it to me. I know that sounds so so silly! But that has also been featuring in my head every time I think about having some candy or bread... like a little of, what's the point?!   

I do think keeping a better, more compliant routine in the coming weeks will be good for all of us - but I find it so interesting that we are also struggling with the same feelings and challenges from parties and events, and then the emotional and physical after effects! I agree @Mike5858 that this group has really been such an amazing resource and support for me. As I said, yesterday morning it was what stopped me having pancakes and syrup for breakfast and today, it has really helped to share and hear your stories too!! Thanks so much!

On 12/11/2017 at 8:46 AM, dmrob2009 said:

That's great, Mike!  I think I've put on a couple of pounds, but I decided that I'm going primal until our festivities on the 23rd (Festivus), Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, at which time I fully intend to enjoy myself and not worry about anything, except a little portion control.  My hubs and I  were super thin and starting to get ripped in 2012 following the Primal Blueprint and I didn't feel the slightest bit deprived, so we are giving that another shot.  I'm investing in the Beach Body on Demand, by recommendation of my fit cousins who live busy lifestyles.  It's hard to find a good gym within driving distance where I live.

The holidays tend to really get me off track, so I'm trying to reign it in for the next couple of weeks to save face, so to speak. LOL I feel like I'll be happier in the long run that way.

Happy Monday, all!

I used the Beachbody programs for awhile and they really work.  Very good stuff.  I found I do better in a gym myself, but I have one right across the street.  Sometimes it was easy to not do the program at home (distractions), but when I was good about it, and stuck to it, I saw very good results!  Best of luck with that, I'm sure you will enjoy it.  I signed up for Mark Sisson's (author of The Primal Blueprint) newsletter about a month ago, and his stuff really speaks to me.  Sounds like you have a great plan!

23 hours ago, SineadMon said:

Good morning all!

@dmrob2009 I wanted to reply yesterday as I read your response yesterday morning and it really changed my focus and approach to the day! I had a work holiday party on Saturday and ate more cake and cookies than I would have liked... what made it worse was that Saturday evening after getting home I had a 'what the hell" moment and ended up going to the store for dinner and getting pizza, chips and some candy (I know @Mike5858 - exactly what they tell us to avoid in FFF). So when I woke up yesterday morning, I was really tough on myself, as well as physically feeling awful from the foods I know don't suit me. I was so ready to just keep going and was thinking "oh well, I'll just get back to it in January" and feeling really deflated. After reading your message, it reminded me that I was stronger than the cravings, and that these feelings were just the effects of the awful food I had. So yesterday, I went for a walk, cooked a lovely dinner and just got back to my normal routine!

The holidays are so tough, but as you both said, it's a journey! We are so much further along than when we started in September. I've also been quite deflated by the weight loss - as you both know, I didn't lose as much during my W30 as I had hoped (6lbs down on the scale) even though I felt better and my clothes fit better. What has been hard for me is that people haven't really noticed that I am looking (a little!) leaner and fresher. I can see it, in my skin and my clothes, but no one has mentioned it to me. I know that sounds so so silly! But that has also been featuring in my head every time I think about having some candy or bread... like a little of, what's the point?!   

I do think keeping a better, more compliant routine in the coming weeks will be good for all of us - but I find it so interesting that we are also struggling with the same feelings and challenges from parties and events, and then the emotional and physical after effects! I agree @Mike5858 that this group has really been such an amazing resource and support for me. As I said, yesterday morning it was what stopped me having pancakes and syrup for breakfast and today, it has really helped to share and hear your stories too!! Thanks so much!

You've got a great attitude, and success is right around the corner for you.  A slip up now and then, is, I believe, a good thing as long as you get back at it.  I've found my biggest failures are when I throw myself into something and then just run out of gas and throw it all away.  Two steps forward and one step back, still means you're moving forward!  People WILL notice the changes in time!  there's nothing silly about wanting them to, it's part of the reward of working hard for YOU!  You've got this!

It's nice to continue to hear from you all. I enjoy reading your updates and hearing about your continued success in applying all that you've learned to a new and healthy lifestyle! You guys are doing a wonderful job through all of your highs, and even your lows! 

I'm ashamed to admit that I have completely reverted back to old habits. Like, completely. For me, the trigger was convenience. I went home to visit family in another state for Thanksgiving for five days. My family literally has nothing in the house that is not processed garbage. Not wanting the expense and inconvenience of buying and cooking separate meals, I just decided to eat what they eat, planning to go back to healthy eating upon my return. Well, that hasn't yet happened.

So yeah, no inspiring story here! I have, however, more clearly confirmed all the benefits of eating the Whole30 way to myself because I now feel and look crappy in so many different ways! And I'm committed to do another Whole30 sometime in January. 

So, I plan to be on track again soon but am very disappointed at my complete inability to maintain any healthy aspects of the lifestyle! Alas, I live and learn! 

Best wishes to you all! Continue to rock this new lifestyle! 

13 hours ago, kirbz said:

It's nice to continue to hear from you all. I enjoy reading your updates and hearing about your continued success in applying all that you've learned to a new and healthy lifestyle! You guys are doing a wonderful job through all of your highs, and even your lows! 

I'm ashamed to admit that I have completely reverted back to old habits. Like, completely. For me, the trigger was convenience. I went home to visit family in another state for Thanksgiving for five days. My family literally has nothing in the house that is not processed garbage. Not wanting the expense and inconvenience of buying and cooking separate meals, I just decided to eat what they eat, planning to go back to healthy eating upon my return. Well, that hasn't yet happened.

So yeah, no inspiring story here! I have, however, more clearly confirmed all the benefits of eating the Whole30 way to myself because I now feel and look crappy in so many different ways! And I'm committed to do another Whole30 sometime in January. 

So, I plan to be on track again soon but am very disappointed at my complete inability to maintain any healthy aspects of the lifestyle! Alas, I live and learn! 

Best wishes to you all! Continue to rock this new lifestyle! 

So good to hear from you kirbz!  Staying with family or friends at their place has to be about the biggest challenge there is.  It's almost impossible to assume people are going to change their eating habits for a guest and it's a very hard conversation to have, so I wouldn't be hard on yourself for Thanksgiving.  Having a good time with family is what it's all about anyway!  You know how to get back on track, and you know you can do it, because you have!  I slip up now and then and then feel crappy from eating or drinking something that's not good for me too.  You'd think I'd stop, but I don't, I just keep trying and hope that some day it sticks for good.  Years ago I quit smoking, but that took me almost 5 years before I was done for good.  Eating habits are the same, I'm finding out.  Don't be disappointed with yourself or ashamed.  Take it from me, that doesn't help or do any good.  Just know you're human like all the rest of us.  You have the knowledge of what works for you now, and you'll apply it when you're ready.  You'll get there.  Enjoy your holiday season, and stay in touch with us!

Mike

28 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

So good to hear from you kirbz!  Staying with family or friends at their place has to be about the biggest challenge there is.  It's almost impossible to assume people are going to change their eating habits for a guest and it's a very hard conversation to have, so I wouldn't be hard on yourself for Thanksgiving.  Having a good time with family is what it's all about anyway!  You know how to get back on track, and you know you can do it, because you have!  I slip up now and then and then feel crappy from eating or drinking something that's not good for me too.  You'd think I'd stop, but I don't, I just keep trying and hope that some day it sticks for good.  Years ago I quit smoking, but that took me almost 5 years before I was done for good.  Eating habits are the same, I'm finding out.  Don't be disappointed with yourself or ashamed.  Take it from me, that doesn't help or do any good.  Just know you're human like all the rest of us.  You have the knowledge of what works for you now, and you'll apply it when you're ready.  You'll get there.  Enjoy your holiday season, and stay in touch with us!

Mike

I completely agree with @Mike5858 on this one, @kirbz (btw, great to hear from you again!).  I've heard it said many times over that it took YEARS for us to establish poor eating habits, so why we beat ourselves up over not changing it completely in months is beyond me.  We're only human, my friend.  Enjoy the holiday and all of the warmth, sharing, loving and giving it brings.  It's the most important thing.  I hope all of you have a very Merry everything... and a Happy 2018, too!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone is still here reading.  If so, happy holidays, whichever ones you might observe.  I've not been particularly good over the last few weeks, eating wise, but I can see how W30 has definitely changed a lot of my habits.  I've pretty well confirmed that my big issue is gluten, it makes me feel terrible and my guts causes problems for days if I eat any of it.  I've had a few times where I was at something that I couldn't really avoid the gluten easily, so I ate it, and was sorry every time.  Even a couple of wontons made my gut pop and crackle for the next day or so!  I have otherwise felt good about the changes I made in w30, and find I'm getting more fruits and veg in every day, and less dairy.  I did add back occasional cheese, and that has been ok (especially the hard ones), and have stuck to almond or coconut milk in coffee and almond yogurt.  I still get my produce from a local co-op, so a different bin every week, and I'm learning more and more how to cook with what I have.  My major issue is wine.  Since it has been the holidays, I've had more than usual, sometimes a lot more, and although it makes me feel lousy I find I can't say no.  I could care less about any other alcohol, so it doesn't seem to be the alcohol in general (I have a whole liquor cabinet here and beer in the garage frig that don't call to me.)  I keep telling myself it is basically sugar water, and with that I can avoid drinking fruit juices, but the wine isn't so easy.  The fact that nearly all my neighbors and friends drink wine liberally doesn't help.  I have not lost one pound, even though I have gone to a much healthier diet overall, and I know if I just stopped the wine and didn't change anything else, I would probably lose easily. 

I've decided to get through this week of holiday stuff, and New Year's Eve, and January 1 give it up.  I was thinking about doing another Whole30 in January, but when I'm honest with myself I am not really having a problem with anything else.  I've run through a very serviceable list of excuses, wrecks up my sleep (true), gives me heartburn (true), makes me tired/sleepy and headachy (true), too many calories (true), and then there is just the "giving it up for now."  Never going to get the weight off any other way.  So, I hope everyone here has had a good holiday, and I'll keep coming back as long as anyone else is here.  

Hey, @CorgiLover!

Great to hear from you and Happy Holidays!  I'm going to be honest here.  The last few weeks have gotten me all off track.  This has been one of the most hectic holidays ever and I found myself stress eating holiday treats quite a bit.  Also, I've been drinking more than usual the last few weeks.  I was so bloated and miserable last night... I'm with you.  Got to get back on track come the first of the year.  I really hope to be able to just do it.  No holiday excuses after 1/1!!!  LOL

Happy 2018, all!!!

@CorgiLover I'm still here as well. It's lovely to hear from you! It sounds like you really have a strong foundation for healthy eating, even if you are having wine in your life! 

I've completely reverted back to old eating habits. As if I'd never done a Whole30, or even heard of it! It's bad. And so I'm planning to do another one in January. I swore I would never do another one and really thought I would make this a lifestyle change but that hasn't happened so here I go again. I'm just picking a date. LOL. I can't decide between January 1 and January 5...

Anyway, I hope you're all having a lovely holiday season! Best wishes! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Gang!  I'm just checking in after a long time away from the forum.  I hope everyone had a nice Christmas and New Year.  I'm doing well.  I've made it to the gym almost everyday since the 1st, and i'm seeing some good gains.  I was not great over the holidays, but not terrible either (I had a couple of horrible days, mainly overeating or imbibing in a few cocktails too many, but I've forgiven myself and moved on).  I put on 7 lbs between Dec 15th and Jan 1st, but I've taken off 6 since then, so I'm almost where I was, and I'm happy with that (I've lost 30 lbs since we started W30 together back in Sept).  I continue to read a lot (working on Mark Sisson's "Primal Blueprint" now) and seem to be holding the line.  I considered a full reset, but didn't think I needed it at this time.  I blamed all my regression on the holidays, but if I see myself backsliding for no apparent reason, then and only then will I do a strict W30 again.  I retired from my job as a manufacturing consultant, and I've begun a new life as I'm studying for the Real Estate exam here in MO sometime near the end of this month.  It feels good, but I have to make myself move away from the computer more, as I don't walk large factory floors like I used to.  The gym doesn't make up for the 5 miles or so a day I used to walk.  I hope you are all well and finding happiness.  Please stay in touch!

Mike

1 hour ago, Mike5858 said:

Hey Gang!  I'm just checking in after a long time away from the forum.  I hope everyone had a nice Christmas and New Year.  I'm doing well.  I've made it to the gym almost everyday since the 1st, and i'm seeing some good gains.  I was not great over the holidays, but not terrible either (I had a couple of horrible days, mainly overeating or imbibing in a few cocktails too many, but I've forgiven myself and moved on).  I put on 7 lbs between Dec 15th and Jan 1st, but I've taken off 6 since then, so I'm almost where I was, and I'm happy with that (I've lost 30 lbs since we started W30 together back in Sept).  I continue to read a lot (working on Mark Sisson's "Primal Blueprint" now) and seem to be holding the line.  I considered a full reset, but didn't think I needed it at this time.  I blamed all my regression on the holidays, but if I see myself backsliding for no apparent reason, then and only then will I do a strict W30 again.  I retired from my job as a manufacturing consultant, and I've begun a new life as I'm studying for the Real Estate exam here in MO sometime near the end of this month.  It feels good, but I have to make myself move away from the computer more, as I don't walk large factory floors like I used to.  The gym doesn't make up for the 5 miles or so a day I used to walk.  I hope you are all well and finding happiness.  Please stay in touch!

Mike

Hey, Mike!  

I was just thinking yesterday how everyone must have decided to quit the forum.  Or, at least, this thread.  Great to hear from you and congrats on having lost 30 lbs!  That's quite the accomplishment!  Also, congrats on retiring.  Another great accomplishment!

I can honestly say that I gained around the same amount over the holidays but I've only recently started up the Primal Blueprint with my husband.  I, too, had a couple of nights of a little too much booze over the holidays and far too much sugar.  Hubs and I decided that, despite the fact that we backslid pretty terribly going into the Christmas season (worse than usual, actually), that we will not be doing another reset.  We, too, have forgiven ourselves and moved on.On

Happy New Year to you all!

46 minutes ago, dmrob2009 said:

Hey, Mike!  

I was just thinking yesterday how everyone must have decided to quit the forum.  Or, at least, this thread.  Great to hear from you and congrats on having lost 30 lbs!  That's quite the accomplishment!  Also, congrats on retiring.  Another great accomplishment!

I can honestly say that I gained around the same amount over the holidays but I've only recently started up the Primal Blueprint with my husband.  I, too, had a couple of nights of a little too much booze over the holidays and far too much sugar.  Hubs and I decided that, despite the fact that we backslid pretty terribly going into the Christmas season (worse than usual, actually), that we will not be doing another reset.  We, too, have forgiven ourselves and moved on.On

Happy New Year to you all!

Great to hear from you too!  The holidays are tough, but fun aren't they?  I like what I've read so far in the Primal Blueprint.  It's a lot of common sense really.  I just can't face another reset right now with all those restrictions, but I'm SO glad I did the one with you folks back in Sept/Oct.  I learned a lot and continue to apply it as best I can.  Happy New Year to you and the hubs as well!

Mike

• 1 month later...

Hey, all!  

It's been a little over a month  since we've been in contact so I thought I'd check in.  How are your healthy endeavors going?  Everyone getting through the winter?  I hit rock bottom a few weeks back.  I've been experiencing a lupus flare up resulting from the holiday (and beyond) splurging and stress.  Needless to say, my joints are achy and tight and I've put on a few pounds.  I'm currently preparing for an AIP protocol diet and eliminating caffeine.  I actually feel pretty good about this.   It's similar to Whole 30, with a few tweaks.  I've just got to gain control over my health!  I plan on adding workouts once the joint pain and swelling subsides.  

I hope you are all doing well and making it happen in 2018!

Archived