Sept 18 start date reintro

dmrob2009

15 minutes ago, dmrob2009 said:

Good morning, all!  My family is about dead center of reintro.  I'm about to lose my kids' and husbands' patience, so we are switching gears a bit.

First off, what I've learned about myself thus far is that while I feel much, much better, I still feel hungry between meals.  This is largely due to the fact that I'm leptin resistant (the hormone that tells your body to quit eating and start moving) and I'm in dire need of a leptin reset.  I've attached a link, in case you're curious.

https://wellnessmama.com/5356/fix-your-leptin/

Having said that, here's the plan...

I made kalua pig last night feom the Nom Nom Paleo Ready or Not! cookbook last night (which was absolutely delicious) and sprinkled cheese on the kids' portion.  Hubs and I had ours with cabbage.  We will see how the kids' systems respond, but we do not plan on eating copious amounts of cheese anymore, due to the fact that it contains sugar in the form of lactose.  As far as grains are concerned, We will be adding some sourdough bread into the mix today to see how our bodies respond.  This is yet another thing that we won't be added back in large quantities, as flours trigger dopamine release which is bad news for food addicts like myself (the addition of natural sugars had this affect on me... triggered thoughts of making poor eating decisions).  Gluten is something we already know we have no desire to eat, as it does make all of us feel miserable.  Finally, legumes will be eaten sparingly in things like chili and maybe a natural p, b and j for the kids on occasion, as we already know they tend to cause gastric distress (particularly the beansB)).

So, having said all that, I will begin my Bright Line Eating on Monday. My husband will be eating primally and the kids will be eating a modified primal diet (more starches added to their diet) starting Monday, as well.  In the meanwhile, we will be Whole 30 compliant, with an exception of GF grain experimentation.  I'll be staying on here for a while, as I find this forum to be extremely motivating.  Thanks to all of you for your support over the last month+!!!

It's great that you are so aware of yourself, it would be easy to fall back into bad habits, but you seem to have given all this a lot of thought and research.  Good luck with the leptin reset.  I can't say I know a lot about that, but you seem to have done your homework.  You're doing a great job taking care of your family too.  I take my hat off to you for working to make everyone healthy (and happy as best you can).  I imagine your meal planning skills are going to be world class before you're done!  Very glad to hear you are going to stick around.  This group has been very motivating to me as well, and I look forward to hearing everyone's stories.  

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

It's great that you are so aware of yourself, it would be easy to fall back into bad habits, but you seem to have given all this a lot of thought and research.  Good luck with the leptin reset.  I can't say I know a lot about that, but you seem to have done your homework.  You're doing a great job taking care of your family too.  I take my hat off to you for working to make everyone healthy (and happy as best you can).  I imagine your meal planning skills are going to be world class before you're done!  Very glad to hear you are going to stick around.  This group has been very motivating to me as well, and I look forward to hearing everyone's stories.  

Thank you so much for the encouragement, @Mike5858!  The same could be said for you, too.  

1 minute ago, dmrob2009 said:

Thank you so much for the encouragement, @Mike5858!  The same could be said for you, too.  

I just read the link about leptin you posted.  Interesting, and I'll make time to watch the video that came with it, sometime today.  Two things I'm trying to do that jumped out to me.  One: eat a big, protein packed breakfast.  This sets the tone for my whole day as far as hunger is concerned, and is a big change from where I was 30 some odd days ago.  Two: Lift weights not concentrate on Cardio when I do start to workout again.  This has been stressed to me by almost everyone I know who is in great shape, and through my reading.  I still want to hike, but more for the emotional benefits and stress relief, than for the cardio in and of itself.

2 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

I just read the link about leptin you posted.  Interesting, and I'll make time to watch the video that came with it, sometime today.  Two things I'm trying to do that jumped out to me.  One: eat a big, protein packed breakfast.  This sets the tone for my whole day as far as hunger is concerned, and is a big change from where I was 30 some odd days ago.  Two: Lift weights not concentrate on Cardio when I do start to workout again.  This has been stressed to me by almost everyone I know who is in great shape, and through my reading.  I still want to hike, but more for the emotional benefits and stress relief, than for the cardio in and of itself.

Yes!  Chronic cardio stimulates cortisol production thereby adding stubborn fat to the midsection.  One of the tenets of the Primal Blueprint is not to overdo it with cardio.  Sisson's advice is to lift heavy things regularly, do PEMs (squats, pullups, pushups and planks), sprints on occasion and moderate cardio on occasion.  Then, simply play hard (I think hiking falls into this category).  

hey guys! Yes, Day30 here!!!

I'm having quite mixed feelings today actually... Firstly, I'm so proud that I have got this far and I wholeheartedly believe it is because of the support of this group. You guys were checking in with me even when you were done and that is amazing, thank you all! However, I'm also feeling a little deflated after all - this morning I had absolute zero appetite for breakfast (kinda like what you were saying @Mike5858). I didn't know what to eat and I really just wanted some oatmeal or toast or anything that didn't resemble eggs! I had some hard boiled eggs in the end, but it was definitely just to fuel myself. Also, I weighed myself this morning - I know you should wait until post day30 but it's been on my mind for some time and so I decided to do it. I have noticed the NSVs in every way over the last few weeks - more motivation and focus, feeling full more often, actually tasting food and my clothes feel looser and more comfortable. However, when I saw that damned number on the scale, I was quite disappointed. I'm still down 6lbs - and given that I've done zero exercise and my portion control probably hasn't been great, that is probably still really good, but I was a bit deflated. I'm going to get through today and would like to continue to the end of the month - just for the routine of this more than anything else - but I may start some reintro at the weekend.

I think I'll buy some new cookbooks like you suggested and that way I can try different flavors and tastes, but I do feel eating this way, or as close to Primal/Paleo as possible definitely suits me. @dmrob2009 i also have problems with trigger foods and bad habits around eating that I think this approach helps me manage better. Anyway, I'll be so pleased when it's Day31, for no other reason that hitting one of my main goals with this program - TO FINISH STRONG!

19 minutes ago, SineadMon said:

I'm having quite mixed feelings today actually... Firstly, I'm so proud that I have got this far and I wholeheartedly believe it is because of the support of this group. You guys were checking in with me even when you were done and that is amazing, thank you all! However, I'm also feeling a little deflated after all - this morning I had absolute zero appetite for breakfast (kinda like what you were saying @Mike5858). I didn't know what to eat and I really just wanted some oatmeal or toast or anything that didn't resemble eggs! I had some hard boiled eggs in the end, but it was definitely just to fuel myself. Also, I weighed myself this morning - I know you should wait until post day30 but it's been on my mind for some time and so I decided to do it. I have noticed the NSVs in every way over the last few weeks - more motivation and focus, feeling full more often, actually tasting food and my clothes feel looser and more comfortable. However, when I saw that damned number on the scale, I was quite disappointed. I'm still down 6lbs - and given that I've done zero exercise and my portion control probably hasn't been great, that is probably still really good, but I was a bit deflated. I'm going to get through today and would like to continue to the end of the month - just for the routine of this more than anything else - but I may start some reintro at the weekend.

I think I'll buy some new cookbooks like you suggested and that way I can try different flavors and tastes, but I do feel eating this way, or as close to Primal/Paleo as possible definitely suits me. @dmrob2009 i also have problems with trigger foods and bad habits around eating that I think this approach helps me manage better. Anyway, I'll be so pleased when it's Day31, for no other reason that hitting one of my main goals with this program - TO FINISH STRONG!

I completely understand, @SineadMon.  This has been the case for me in past Whole 30's, which is why I did not weigh myself beforehand this time around.  Having said that, take a look at the leptin link that I posted earlier this morning.  Maybe that will help.  Finally, congrats on making it to the finish line today!!! That's huge and don't let the scale ruin that for you.  

Thanks @dmrob2009... I completely agree that just going through this has been so revolutionary for me. Mainly because of my determination to finish it, despite my poor relationship with food and my many many feelings of 'oh but you've always given up before'. Also, I hadn't actually weighed myself before this but had a rough idea of where I stood, so it's not fully accurate. Either way, I'm hoping to recognize and appreciate the real positive NSVs that i've seen and experienced. Those are pretty priceless overall!

1 hour ago, SineadMon said:

Congrats on Day 30!!!!  It's a great feeling isn't it?  You've done a great job on this program, and you've been very supportive of everyone too.  Sounds like you've got a plan moving forward too.  As far as the weight loss?  6 lbs is great AND it's sustainable.  It's a good rate of weight loss that can be kept up for the long haul (and that's what our lives hopefully are!).  Think of it this way, if you lose 6 lbs a month, you'll have lost 18 lbs by Christmas and 36 lbs by St. Patrick's Day.  AND you'll be able to keep it off, because you've learned a new way to eat and live.  I'd say you've got a lot to look forward to and a lot to be proud of right now.  Good for you!

5 hours ago, CorgiLover said:

OK, how about this:  Guts Lose Under The Evil Nasty?  I forgot, but about the hunger.  I'm finding I don't get hungry like I used to.  I'm thinking that what I used to think was hunger was often cravings?  Same with tired and sleepy, I am starting to think that what I used to think was tired, or hungry, was boredom?  Anyone else noticed this?  I can go from breakfast to mid-afternoon without feeling really hungry.  New for me.  Yesterday evening, I was driving on the 12th hour or so, and wondered if I should stop and drive the rest of the way this morning.  That was about the time I decided to stop and eat something.  I kind of stepped back and asked myself how tired?  Realized I wasn't sleepy, nor physically tired, I was just bored with driving all day and looking for a way to break the boredom.  Changed radio stations and kept going, was a little eye-opening that I could take boredom and easily change to hungry or tired.  Might be analyzing myself too much....  :)  

I do agree that at lot of eating comes from boredom or habits that are associated with the food (like needing a snack while watching a movie).  I had my first reinto of non-gluten grains for breakfast this morning.  I found a gluten free muesli hat had lots of nuts and some dried fruit in it.  Normally this sort of breakfast is what I'd eat, along with snack then lunch.  I definitely hit the snack time and all I could think about was lunch.  I think the high protein and healthy fat meals is what ties me over between meals.  Maybe a good thing my meal plan had me cooking a lengthy lunch recipe (full hour) and I just about held off.  Lunch is spanish rice and a hamburger/veggie dish.  

1 hour ago, Mike5858 said:

Congrats on Day 30!!!!  It's a great feeling isn't it?  You've done a great job on this program, and you've been very supportive of everyone too.  Sounds like you've got a plan moving forward too.  As far as the weight loss?  6 lbs is great AND it's sustainable.  It's a good rate of weight loss that can be kept up for the long haul (and that's what our lives hopefully are!).  Think of it this way, if you lose 6 lbs a month, you'll have lost 18 lbs by Christmas and 36 lbs by St. Patrick's Day.  AND you'll be able to keep it off, because you've learned a new way to eat and live.  I'd say you've got a lot to look forward to and a lot to be proud of right now.  Good for you!

Congrats @SineadMon on getting to day 30 AND the 6 lbs.!!  I agree with Mike and that seems like a sustainable number.  I just want to encourage you to add activity back in.  If I recall you are generally active, maybe a runner?  I think one without the other isn't the best way to set yourself up for long term healthiness.  I can contest to the opposite of exercising, but not caring one iota about what I drank and ate.  I do know now I HAVE to consider both if I want to reach a goal or even maintain.  

Wow, @Mike5858 that's a really great point. I think I was so fixated on the number that I had forgotten how much I want to continue with this lifestyle approach. If I can maintain a positive way of eating and nourishing my body, then hopefully it will continue to fall off.

And you're right @Svmomma, I had only been adapting to the new way of eating that exercise fell by the waste side. Now that I'm more comfortable with what I'm cooking, eating and shopping for, I can start to integrate more exercise into my life. My boyfriend and I have started going to the gym more often and I'm hoping that will have a better effect.

I will admit (and I knew this during the program), that my portion sizes and my fondness for nuts probably didn't help the number on the scale. They were definitely better for my mental and physical health than what I was grazing and snacking on before this month, but I hope (going forward) to be more aware of these things in my life and try to reduce emotional and stress-based snacking altogether. I think I was using them as a bit of a crutch as well for fear I would just give up on the W30 altogether if I didn't have something nice in my bag/cupboard. So even learning this is helpful!!

Thanks so much for bringing everything into perspective for me guys! 

Good morning guys... Reintro non-gluten grains yesterday seems to be just fine.  I did feel an energy lull in the mid afternoon.  I'm not currently reading up on the particulars of side affects, so may be normal.  At least no real negative side affects (I keep expecting to get really ill from other people's experiences!!).  I have to admit though my commitment to W30 regiment outside of these reintrodutions is slipping a bit, but I don't think it's terrible.  A friend left a plate full of gluten free chocolate chip cookies at my house and I admittedly had one last night and the night before.  I can easily stay away from all the other sweets around, ice cream, pumpkin chocolate chip cake, etc.  But because it was gluten free I allowed myself the indulgence. And BOY DID IT TASTE GOOD!  Didn't necessarily make me want to chow down a ton more or crave more sugar... but I'm sure the dairy in it wasn't a good thing.  

One other admittance is alcohol.  Also left behind was an open bottle of red wine.  After a someone stressful evening meeting, and getting home to my hubby and wanting to connect about our days, we each had a couple glasses.  (Oh maybe the wine/cookie are connected!)  The agreement I made with myself was to cut out mid-week drinking, and of course be mindful of weekend cocktails.    

Okay off to a couple days of wholehearted W30, then reintro Dairy on Friday.  

Good morning!

Some final observations as my reintro comes to an end.  Yes, we're putting the brakes on reintro, for a number of reasons.  This has been very eye opening.  

Since the reintroducing of sweeteners and grains, I have noticed:

*a marked increase in cravings that have not subsided.  

*extreme mood swings (depression and weepiness) No joke.  It's ridiculous.  

*a general feeling of overwhelm (all of my chores seem like monumental tasks again)

*a different view of myself when I look in the mirror (not a good one).

*lack of motivation

I think you're starting to get my point, LOL.  At any rate, the program that I am about to begin addresses why this is so.  As I've mentioned before, I'll be doing Bright Line Eating.  This is a program geared toward people who are food addicts, but can be beneficial for anyone.  It starts with a susceptibility scale, which I score a perfect 10 on, meaning I'm very susceptible to the negative effects of sugar and flour, as seen above.  The author explains it like this...  Sugar and flour are akin to drugs for some people.  Just like cocaine and heroin, both perfectly harmless in their original states as plants, are morphed into something terrible when the inner essence is ground to a fine powder and processed.  When these items are consumed, dopamine floods the brain (same thing happens when one snorts cocaine or shoots up heroin).  The body then craves the release of more dopamine, thereby triggering cravings.  It's not just sugar and wheat flour, either.  The entire gamut of sweeteners and flours, natural and processed alike, have this effect the minute they hit the taste buds.  See this video...

Crazy, huh?  At any rate, after experiencing what I've experienced upon reintro, I'm certain that this will be the program for me.  Basically it creates bright lines that you simply do not cross.  

Note, the author of BLE advocates elimination and reintro programs like this one.  I know it's made things very clear for me. 

Happy day, all!

7 minutes ago, Svmomma said:

Good morning guys... Reintro non-gluten grains yesterday seems to be just fine.  I did feel an energy lull in the mid afternoon.  I'm not currently reading up on the particulars of side affects, so may be normal.  At least no real negative side affects (I keep expecting to get really ill from other people's experiences!!).  I have to admit though my commitment to W30 regiment outside of these reintrodutions is slipping a bit, but I don't think it's terrible.  A friend left a plate full of gluten free chocolate chip cookies at my house and I admittedly had one last night and the night before.  I can easily stay away from all the other sweets around, ice cream, pumpkin chocolate chip cake, etc.  But because it was gluten free I allowed myself the indulgence. And BOY DID IT TASTE GOOD!  Didn't necessarily make me want to chow down a ton more or crave more sugar... but I'm sure the dairy in it wasn't a good thing.  

One other admittance is alcohol.  Also left behind was an open bottle of red wine.  After a someone stressful evening meeting, and getting home to my hubby and wanting to connect about our days, we each had a couple glasses.  (Oh maybe the wine/cookie are connected!)  The agreement I made with myself was to cut out mid-week drinking, and of course be mindful of weekend cocktails.    

I've found myself breaking the tenets of reintro with the addition of grains and sweeteners, too.  This really is telling.  Way to be honest with yourself about it!  Reintro is far more difficult than the Whole 30, in my honest opinion.  You're doing great and good luck with dairy!

1 hour ago, Svmomma said:

Sounds like you're doing fine to me.  Be a little easy on yourself.  A couple of gluten free cookies, and a glass or two of wine does not wreck the progress you've made in my opinion, especially since you're aware of the goals you set for yourself.  I reintro'd alcohol on Saturday and had another drink on Sunday (against the rules).  I'm good with it. :D

Good luck with the dairy.  I have not attempted that yet.  I do miss cheese a little, but it's not an overwhelming thought.  I may try to make a home made pizza next week and reintroduce dairy (cheese) that way.  Milk, yogurt, ice cream, etc I don't really miss.  Maybe I'll try some ice cream next summer, but I'm good for now.  I did not do all that well with gluten when I reintro'd that.  I've never had any gluten free baked goods, but I'm going to have to try some in the coming weeks.  In all honesty, I'm scared to death to try anything sweet yet.  It's always been a weakness.  I'm not really craving anything sweet most of the time, and when I do, I can get past it.  My goal is to hang on until the holidays and only try something that looks fantastic.  My wife and I are going to go out on Halloween as a way to avoid having any candy in the house.  Maybe that's a little lame, but avoidance can't be all bad can it?

1 hour ago, dmrob2009 said:

Good morning!

Some final observations as my reintro comes to an end.  Yes, we're putting the brakes on reintro, for a number of reasons.  This has been very eye opening.  

Since the reintroducing of sweeteners and grains, I have noticed:

*a marked increase in cravings that have not subsided.  

*extreme mood swings (depression and weepiness) No joke.  It's ridiculous.  

*a general feeling of overwhelm (all of my chores seem like monumental tasks again)

*a different view of myself when I look in the mirror (not a good one).

*lack of motivation

I think you're starting to get my point, LOL.  At any rate, the program that I am about to begin addresses why this is so.  As I've mentioned before, I'll be doing Bright Line Eating.  This is a program geared toward people who are food addicts, but can be beneficial for anyone.  It starts with a susceptibility scale, which I score a perfect 10 on, meaning I'm very susceptible to the negative effects of sugar and flour, as seen above.  The author explains it like this...  Sugar and flour are akin to drugs for some people.  Just like cocaine and heroin, both perfectly harmless in their original states as plants, are morphed into something terrible when the inner essence is ground to a fine powder and processed.  When these items are consumed, dopamine floods the brain (same thing happens when one snorts cocaine or shoots up heroin).  The body then craves the release of more dopamine, thereby triggering cravings.  It's not just sugar and wheat flour, either.  The entire gamut of sweeteners and flours, natural and processed alike, have this effect the minute they hit the taste buds.  See this video...

Crazy, huh?  At any rate, after experiencing what I've experienced upon reintro, I'm certain that this will be the program for me.  Basically it creates bright lines that you simply do not cross.  

Note, the author of BLE advocates elimination and reintro programs like this one.  I know it's made things very clear for me. 

Happy day, all!

Gosh, your sharing of information, encouragement, self awareness and honesty throughout this journey have been so inspiring to me!  I wish you all the luck in the world with Bright Line Eating.  It's so cool to run into someone who doesn't quit, who keeps searching for answers, all I can do is tip my hat and try to do my best as well.  I totally get it if the reintro phase has shown you enough.  You were so upbeat during the Whole 30, and if reintroducing foods is killing that, then by all means stop!  I'm glad you have confidence in the BLE program.  It would have been a shame to have no where to turn after W30, but then you don't seem like the sort to quit looking. ;)  Please let us know how it all works out for you.

Good morning.  I'm glad so many are still here.  I think we are seeing the effect of various people having their own dragons, whether by cravings/addiction or by physical intolerance.  I added back wine last week (Wed) and didn't have an issue.   Added back non-gluten grains (corn tortillas and rice) Sat without a problem, either.  Gluten on Monday night was awful, took me all day yesterday to feel decent, and my gut still isn't back to normal.  I have no sweet tooth, so adding back sugar/sweeteners hasn't been an issue, but was a cheese fiend before the w30.  Now, given my gluten experience, I'm waffling about when/how to add back dairy and/or legumes.  While we were all handling same things doing the w30 month, this reintro is really very specific for each of us.  I'm finding it helpful, though, to see how each of you handles each food group, so keep posting as you can.  I know my gluten reaction was considerably worse than I put in words here, but I hope I at least let the word out that gluten could be a problem.  I would love same, and I'm definitely interested in recipes and workarounds to get through the early days of adjustment.  

31 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

Sounds like you're doing fine to me.  Be a little easy on yourself.  A couple of gluten free cookies, and a glass or two of wine does not wreck the progress you've made in my opinion, especially since you're aware of the goals you set for yourself.  I reintro'd alcohol on Saturday and had another drink on Sunday (against the rules).  I'm good with it. :D

Good luck with the dairy.  I have not attempted that yet.  I do miss cheese a little, but it's not an overwhelming thought.  I may try to make a home made pizza next week and reintroduce dairy (cheese) that way.  Milk, yogurt, ice cream, etc I don't really miss.  Maybe I'll try some ice cream next summer, but I'm good for now.  I did not do all that well with gluten when I reintro'd that.  I've never had any gluten free baked goods, but I'm going to have to try some in the coming weeks.  In all honesty, I'm scared to death to try anything sweet yet.  It's always been a weakness.  I'm not really craving anything sweet most of the time, and when I do, I can get past it.  My goal is to hang on until the holidays and only try something that looks fantastic.  My wife and I are going to go out on Halloween as a way to avoid having any candy in the house.  Maybe that's a little lame, but avoidance can't be all bad can it?

Not lame at all and distraction is the perfect form of avoidance!!  That's a great idea.  With my kids being young, we sort of have to subject ourselves to the temptation... kids still trick-or-treat.  

You and your wife are really doing a good job of this reintro thing.  You seem to be in control whereas I felt like I was losing it.  Kudos to the both of you!

15 minutes ago, CorgiLover said:

Good morning.  I'm glad so many are still here.  I think we are seeing the effect of various people having their own dragons, whether by cravings/addiction or by physical intolerance.  I added back wine last week (Wed) and didn't have an issue.   Added back non-gluten grains (corn tortillas and rice) Sat without a problem, either.  Gluten on Monday night was awful, took me all day yesterday to feel decent, and my gut still isn't back to normal.  I have no sweet tooth, so adding back sugar/sweeteners hasn't been an issue, but was a cheese fiend before the w30.  Now, given my gluten experience, I'm waffling about when/how to add back dairy and/or legumes.  While we were all handling same things doing the w30 month, this reintro is really very specific for each of us.  I'm finding it helpful, though, to see how each of you handles each food group, so keep posting as you can.  I know my gluten reaction was considerably worse than I put in words here, but I hope I at least let the word out that gluten could be a problem.  I would love same, and I'm definitely interested in recipes and workarounds to get through the early days of adjustment.  

I'm happy for you (and a dare I say a little jealous?) :rolleyes: that you have been able to handle most of what you've introduced.  Good job!

33 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

Gosh, your sharing of information, encouragement, self awareness and honesty throughout this journey have been so inspiring to me!  I wish you all the luck in the world with Bright Line Eating.  It's so cool to run into someone who doesn't quit, who keeps searching for answers, all I can do is tip my hat and try to do my best as well.  I totally get it if the reintro phase has shown you enough.  You were so upbeat during the Whole 30, and if reintroducing foods is killing that, then by all means stop!  I'm glad you have confidence in the BLE program.  It would have been a shame to have no where to turn after W30, but then you don't seem like the sort to quit looking. ;)  Please let us know how it all works out for you.

Thank you... I needed this as I pull myself back out of the sugar ditch!  LOL. I intend to stay on a while longer.  I'm interested in everyone's results!

Hi all!! Day 31 for me :) So happy to have successfully finished the W30 and I'm so fascinated by your reintro stories - thank you all for sharing! As I said before, I have a busy two days ahead of me so I have always planned to save reintro until the weekend. But then, I've noticed some interesting things the last few days/week and I would love your opinion on it. During most of the W30, I didn't eat much fruit - actually before W30 I wouldn't eat much fruit anyway as I felt it added to my sugar dragon a little and also never really filled me up (apart from Bananas, I would eat a banana with some almond butter or nuts if I really needed a snack & didn't want sugar). The last week of W30, I was starting to get a bit bored of the food and my boyfriend was staying with me. He was impressed with my changing food habits and wanted to implement some of his own, so he was snacking on more fruit (apples, mangoes, pears). We also made the chicken pina colada recipe from Well Fed which had pineapple in it - pineapple and mangoes are definitely some of my all time favorite fruits.

So here's my thoughts - since I started adding in some more fruit to my day, I've started craving more sugar and really started to look forward to ending the program. This may also just be because it was the final week, but after reading all your research @dmrob2009, and your symptoms of being overwhelmed, lack of motivation, mood swings, I'm wondering could the introduction of some fruits into my W30 be a sign that even fruit sugar could be a dragon for me?!?

35 minutes ago, SineadMon said:

Hi all!! Day 31 for me :) So happy to have successfully finished the W30 and I'm so fascinated by your reintro stories - thank you all for sharing! As I said before, I have a busy two days ahead of me so I have always planned to save reintro until the weekend. But then, I've noticed some interesting things the last few days/week and I would love your opinion on it. During most of the W30, I didn't eat much fruit - actually before W30 I wouldn't eat much fruit anyway as I felt it added to my sugar dragon a little and also never really filled me up (apart from Bananas, I would eat a banana with some almond butter or nuts if I really needed a snack & didn't want sugar). The last week of W30, I was starting to get a bit bored of the food and my boyfriend was staying with me. He was impressed with my changing food habits and wanted to implement some of his own, so he was snacking on more fruit (apples, mangoes, pears). We also made the chicken pina colada recipe from Well Fed which had pineapple in it - pineapple and mangoes are definitely some of my all time favorite fruits.

So here's my thoughts - since I started adding in some more fruit to my day, I've started craving more sugar and really started to look forward to ending the program. This may also just be because it was the final week, but after reading all your research @dmrob2009, and your symptoms of being overwhelmed, lack of motivation, mood swings, I'm wondering could the introduction of some fruits into my W30 be a sign that even fruit sugar could be a dragon for me?!?

Way to observe, @SineadMon.  That's so hard to say.  If you keep your fruit seasonal according to your locale, you should be okay.  Fruit is definitely included on the plan I'm about to go on.  Dried fruit and mashed up fruit (smoothies and such) can be problematic for some and therefore strictly prohibited on my plan.  And CONGRATS on sticking it out!!! Woo hoo!

Thanks @dmrob2009 - to be honest, it could be a number of different factors, but since we bought and ate fresh pineapple on Day 25 of my W30, I've found myself craving something sweet every day, and usually satisfying it with some fruit, or nuts and dried fruit. But, it could also be that i'm feeling a bit tired of the program, have been extremely busy at work, or just felt I needed that 'reward' for getting to the end of the program. Either way, I've definitely noticed more sugar cravings over the last 10/12 days. The video was great and I'm definitely going to take a look at the BLE over the next few days :)

Good Morning Everyone!  It  has seemed so weird not logging in here everyday and I miss it.  I hope everyone is well.  It sounded like most everyone's reintro phase was going in different directions, but everyone sounded good.  I hope that's still the case.

I'm pretty much staying on the Whole 30 path food wise.  I did add alcohol back in, but only 3 drinks in the time since we finished W30.  I've only had vodka tonics.  My wife and I have thought about having wine, but just haven't pulled the trigger.  I also enjoy a good bourbon, but haven't had the urge.  We still haven't touched any diary, soy, gluten free grains or legumes.  Not much of a reintro huh? :lol:  I am going to try to make a "healthy" pizza soon, so that will be my foray into dairy, but I don't have an overwhelming craving for it.  My wife and I kept thinking pizza would be the FIRST thing we would try when we had the chance, and now that we do, it isn't on top of the list.  If I see a commercial or I'm in a restaurant that has pizza, it will get me thinking, but I seem to able to stop short of actually eating any so far (I'm well aware that it's early in the game).  All in all, we are doing well with our eating, and it doesn't seem to take a lot of thought, it's just "what we do".  

I'm almost done with "Food Freedom Forever" and highly recommend it to anyone interested in tips in how to control cravings, and learning how to improve your relationship with food.  It's well worth the read.

I finally did join the gym I was talking about.  I did my first workout with a trainer yesterday, and I'm going again today.  It felt good to get in there.  We are in the home stretch as far as remodeling the condo, with just one bathroom left to strip wallpaper and paint.  After that it's just odds and ends, so using that type of activity for exercise needed to be replaced.  I've got to find a good routine and a good time to make it there.  The gym is less than a mile away, so I have no excuses.  I want to make it a part of how I live.

My wife and I are going to take a long weekend in the next two weeks and go to Hot Springs, Arkansas.  We'll go to the hot springs and get in the water, and we've signed up for a couples message at the hotel.  Other than that, we are going to wing it.  There are some nice restaurants, where we might be able to make some non-compliant choices that we deem "worth it".  We are also going to do some shopping for art and things for the new condo, as well as hike the state parks nearby, and maybe go horseback riding.  I'm really looking forward to getting away with her for a few days.  We both need it.

I had a good experience eating out last night that made me happy in a situation I was nervous about.  Some friends invited us out to celebrate their son's 14th birthday last night.  We've put them off a few times during our W30 journey and we felt we just couldn't do it again, as they had been understanding, but we didn't want to lose them as friends.  They were taking their son to Red Robin for burgers.  I felt like I could find something there to eat that stayed in the paleo guidelines, a dry salad if nothing else.  Much to my delight, they had something much better.  It's called a "Wedgie Burger" (I know the name is a little funky) and it's a burger with lettuce for a bun, bacon, onion, tomato and guacamole.  It was terrific.  I had a side of steamed broccoli and enjoyed dinner as much as anyone at the table!  It's on the back page of the Red Robin menu if any of you find yourself there anytime soon.

Well, that's enough ramblings for now.  I feel better for checking in, and I hope everyone is well.  I miss our daily check-ins, but I know we have to leave the nest sometime and get on with life!

Have a Great Day Everyone!

Mike

18 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

Good Morning Everyone!  It  has seemed so weird not logging in here everyday and I miss it.  I hope everyone is well.  It sounded like most everyone's reintro phase was going in different directions, but everyone sounded good.  I hope that's still the case.

I'm pretty much staying on the Whole 30 path food wise.  I did add alcohol back in, but only 3 drinks in the time since we finished W30.  I've only had vodka tonics.  My wife and I have thought about having wine, but just haven't pulled the trigger.  I also enjoy a good bourbon, but haven't had the urge.  We still haven't touched any diary, soy, gluten free grains or legumes.  Not much of a reintro huh? :lol:  I am going to try to make a "healthy" pizza soon, so that will be my foray into dairy, but I don't have an overwhelming craving for it.  My wife and I kept thinking pizza would be the FIRST thing we would try when we had the chance, and now that we do, it isn't on top of the list.  If I see a commercial or I'm in a restaurant that has pizza, it will get me thinking, but I seem to able to stop short of actually eating any so far (I'm well aware that it's early in the game).  All in all, we are doing well with our eating, and it doesn't seem to take a lot of thought, it's just "what we do".  

I'm almost done with "Food Freedom Forever" and highly recommend it to anyone interested in tips in how to control cravings, and learning how to improve your relationship with food.  It's well worth the read.

I finally did join the gym I was talking about.  I did my first workout with a trainer yesterday, and I'm going again today.  It felt good to get in there.  We are in the home stretch as far as remodeling the condo, with just one bathroom left to strip wallpaper and paint.  After that it's just odds and ends, so using that type of activity for exercise needed to be replaced.  I've got to find a good routine and a good time to make it there.  The gym is less than a mile away, so I have no excuses.  I want to make it a part of how I live.

My wife and I are going to take a long weekend in the next two weeks and go to Hot Springs, Arkansas.  We'll go to the hot springs and get in the water, and we've signed up for a couples message at the hotel.  Other than that, we are going to wing it.  There are some nice restaurants, where we might be able to make some non-compliant choices that we deem "worth it".  We are also going to do some shopping for art and things for the new condo, as well as hike the state parks nearby, and maybe go horseback riding.  I'm really looking forward to getting away with her for a few days.  We both need it.

I had a good experience eating out last night that made me happy in a situation I was nervous about.  Some friends invited us out to celebrate their son's 14th birthday last night.  We've put them off a few times during our W30 journey and we felt we just couldn't do it again, as they had been understanding, but we didn't want to lose them as friends.  They were taking their son to Red Robin for burgers.  I felt like I could find something there to eat that stayed in the paleo guidelines, a dry salad if nothing else.  Much to my delight, they had something much better.  It's called a "Wedgie Burger" (I know the name is a little funky) and it's a burger with lettuce for a bun, bacon, onion, tomato and guacamole.  It was terrific.  I had a side of steamed broccoli and enjoyed dinner as much as anyone at the table!  It's on the back page of the Red Robin menu if any of you find yourself there anytime soon.

Well, that's enough ramblings for now.  I feel better for checking in, and I hope everyone is well.  I miss our daily check-ins, but I know we have to leave the nest sometime and get on with life!

Have a Great Day Everyone!

Mike

Awesome, Mike!  Y'all have a wonderful time and safe travels!  

We love to eat wedgie burgers at Red Robin... you should try it sometime.  Pick any burger and turn it protein style.  Reeeeeed Robin... Yyyyyummmm!

Archived