Whole 30 and Rheumatoid Arthritis

Hello, I am just about to start my first Whole30. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Ankylosing Spondilitis   I have read other threads on this forum about people with RA who have found benefits from this diet change, but the threads are several years old.  I would be very interested to hear from other people with Rheumatoid Arthritis or other similar autoimmune diseases to learn what if any benefits they experienced from being on the Whole 30 diet !!  Thank you !

• Moderators

The information and benefits anyone on those older threads realized would be the same today... the program has not changed since 2009 with the exception of allowing white potato and disallowing ANY storebought chips.  You can also take a look on the testimonials page and read through by illness how it may help and how it has helped others.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I’m a little late in responding, but I have RA and just finished my second whole30 in October. I saw improvements in my symptoms the first time around, but it was nothing compared to the improvements I saw the second time around. I have been following a 90/10 whole30 diet since reintroduction as a lot of the foods I reintroduced were not working for me. I am actually meeting with my rheumatologist next month to attempt to wean off my medications. 

Wow, that's amazing to hear !  Did you find the whole 30 helped with your fatigue as well as your pain?  What meds are you currently on for your RA?  I take Enbrel and Celebrex.  Thank you for responding, I have been trying hard to find a way to improve my quality of life - I find my meds only help me about 75 %

Marni-

While I've never been diagnosed with RA, for many years I've had arthritis in my left hand / fingers, as well as other sore joints.  Since I've started W30, the joint pain has gone away and now I'm restarting activities that the arthritis had prevented me from.

Mari- 

I currently take sulfasalazine and remicade. I have been on these meds for about 4 years and have gotten my ra pretty well under control with them (I.e. no flare ups as long as I take them). However, I found on whole30 that how I felt with no flare ups wasn’t really all that great. I was still having swollen joints and morning stiffness. Since Whole30, aside from during my reintroduction, I haven’t had swelling or stiffness. My knees which were constantly swollen have finally gone down. My fatigue has never been terrible, but I definitely had a lot more energy during whole30. I this helps and you are able to find some improvements! RA sucks. 

• 1 month later...

Archived