Fatigue: Day 23

emmi1002

I am on day 23 of the whole 30 and I am about to throw in the towel. I am exhausted and have been for most of the time that I have been doing this. The first half the fatigue felt a lot like what you would normally have from getting rid of all sugar and changing eating habits etc. The fatigue beyond that? It is like that fatigue you get in the first trimester of pregnancy (no not pregnant). I think it is related to not being able to sustain the physical activity I would normally do? A few things, I don't eat potatoes, I get hives when I eat potatoes. I eat sweet potatoes and squash, but don't love them enough to have them 3 meals a day. I eat tons of carrots, peppers, and spinach. So I am wondering if it is a problem of not being able to get enough carby veggies?

I workout 5-6 days a week with 2 of those days being a crossfit type class and the rest of the days being a mix of cardio, weights, etc. It is pretty usual to do 3-5 miles on elliptical, treadmill, whatever. So not crazy fitness schedule, but I have noticed my workouts suffering. I usually have breakfast within an hour of starting workout (much closer than that and I get nauseous) and have been doing a small snack after since with my schedule I normally eat lunch around 11:00. 

Standard diet
Breakfast 7:30 a.m. : 3 eggs, one pepper, 2 cups spinach sauteed and scrambled with some ghee.  One banana

8:30 workout for an hour

10:00 hard boiled egg and veggie of some sort (carrots, pepper etc.) - I only do this if it will be a while before I eat again I will skip this and just add it to my lunch if workout and lunch start to run into one another

11:00 Lunch  Usually a fist sized portion of protein, sauteed spinach (a whole bag or just a little less), half an avocado, another 1-1/2 cups veggie (brocolli, cauliflower, carrot, kale, pepper, sweet potato etc) I also sometimes add a pickle or olives or hard-boiled egg

3:00 snack  pear and nuts (I only do this if I am struggling with energy and feeling hungry which on days I workout has been happening)

6:30 Dinner This usually resembles lunch pretty closely. Either a large salad with a homemade ceasar dressing, various veggies (radish, cabbage, romaine, carrot, pepper, etc.), a protein, and half avocado or a similar plate to lunch. 

* I usually add some ghee or olive oil to my cooked veggies so there is more fat than it looks like at first glance. My protein is usually chicken breast, tuna fish, steak, or some turkey

I am getting between 8 and 9 hours of sleep a night and when I am able I end up napping because I can't stay awake. There have been a couple of weekends now where I slept 12 hours+ a day. Sleep isn't the problem. No major problems with stress. Drinking lots of water and not much else. Taking a quality multi vitamin. My plate usually looks like a fist size portion of protein, a ton of veggies, and some avocado. I haven't been "cheating" or loosening rules, have stuck with it the whole time. I have noticed I don't get much bloat and have probably lost a few pounds, but other than that the biggest change I have noticed is I can't stay awake  or sustain my workouts. Honestly if I wasn't so stubborn about finishing what I start I would have added the brown rice I really want to my meals and called it a day.

• Moderators

That mostly looks good. Are you salting your food? 

Post-wo is something you ought to have after every workout, especially your crossfit days. If you were feeling good, you might be able to skip it on cardio days, if you feel they're not too strenuous, but for now try to have a little bit of lean protein and some starchy vegetable shortly after your workout. This is in addition to your other three meals.

You could explore adding other starchy vegetables. Any of the root vegetables, like turnips, beets, parsnips, or rutabagas, or winter squashes like butternut, acorn, or kabocha squash would work. Once you've done reintroductions, if you find that rice doesn't bother you, it may be that that's a good option for you, but for now, since you've got a week left, try some of the other options and see if you can find something that will work for you. 

Archived