HELP! Unknowingly ate sugar in garlic salt!

Today is Day 17 and I was just at dinner at my parents house. After making a seemingly perfect Whole30 dinner of almond flour chicken, spaghetti squash and baked potatoes, I ate three bites of the chicken and decided to just double check and make sure that the garlic salt that was used to season the almond flour of our chicken was ok. I was immediately devastated when I saw sugar as one of the ingredients. I have been so diligent about checking every label, referencing my book and pdfs and following the "when in doubt leave it out" rule that I feel so frustrated that I have to start all over again and go through the last 17 days again plus 13 more. I know it'll be good for me, just sucks. Can anyone relate? Could use a little empathy right now. 

• Administrators

Sugar in table salt is permitted because it's used as an anti caking agent.....otherwise you'd never be able to eat anywhere. I'm inclined to say the same for garlic salt. But read the starting over article and decide for yourself. 

If it's actually on the label of the garlic salt, I think that's a degree beyond what's used in table salt, since that's more akin to the sugar in the first fermentation of kombucha, for example, in that it doesn't have to be listed on the label.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, kirkor said:

If it's actually on the label of the garlic salt, I think that's a degree beyond what's used in table salt, since that's more akin to the sugar in the first fermentation of kombucha, for example, in that it doesn't have to be listed on the label.

It depends, some table salt lists dextrose, which is why they had to make the table salt ruling... so it could be that on the ingredient list that the original poster saw... 

Thank you so much for the Do I have to start over" article recommendation 

2 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

Sugar in table salt is permitted because it's used as an anti caking agent.....otherwise you'd never be able to eat anywhere. I'm inclined to say the same for garlic salt. But read the starting over article and decide for yourself. 

Thank you so much for this article recommendation. It absolutely helped with my downward disappointment spiral and clearly lays out the difference of conscious choice and accident and how to appropriately move on after each case. I appreciate you!

I can relate for sure! On Day 21, my fiance mistakenly put a spice blend on our chicken that had sugar. I confirmed with him that he only used ingredients on my Whole30 shelf and he assured me that was the case. But, we later discovered that a non-compliant spice somehow ended up on my shelf and therefore ended up in my chicken. 

I opted not to start over but it definitely messed with my motivation for a few days as I was trying really, really hard to do this perfectly!

So, hang in there! It sounds like you're doing everything right! Don't let this discourage you and continue on your path to better eating and a healthier you! Best wishes! 

31 minutes ago, kirbz said:

I can relate for sure! On Day 21, my fiance mistakenly put a spice blend on our chicken that had sugar. I confirmed with him that he only used ingredients on my Whole30 shelf and he assured me that was the case. But, we later discovered that a non-compliant spice somehow ended up on my shelf and therefore ended up in my chicken. 

I opted not to start over but it definitely messed with my motivation for a few days as I was trying really, really hard to do this perfectly!

So, hang in there! It sounds like you're doing everything right! Don't let this discourage you and continue on your path to better eating and a healthier you! Best wishes! 

Gosh I really really appreciate your empathy on this one! The article I read helped me because I was definitely focused on perfection, perfection, perfection. Thanks for relating and hope you're still feeling great!

I'm in a similar boat. I'm on day 23 and went to grab a tea this morning and upon reading the label found it has stevia leaf. So I made another tea that I've previously vetted so to speak. The problem is I can't remember if I had the tea early on in my Whole 30 or not. I know I haven't had it recently. I've either not had it, or had it in the first week. I'm not sure if I should add a couple weeks onto my program, or trust that I would have checked the label and not had it. I honestly can't remember. I'm interested in what others would do.

Archived