Starting 11/26 - during Les Mills Pump

heathera

i'm starting my second whole30 tomorrow too. i bump up the sweet potato on the days i work out, but avoid on others. i'm super carb sensitive, but feel ravenous if i work out and low carb it too. also bump up the good fats. a spoonful of coconut butter!

My experience is that if you are seriously working out, you need to stay ahead of the curve.... As Tom said, eat a sweet potato every day, not just post... I do one every meal one and been throwing in a plantain or squash meal two... I'm on day thirty six ( going for 90) and really leaned out so far.... And eat fat fat fat... That really helped me kick it into overdrive.... I'm over 50 and participate In a program called " combat fitness". ( kinda like navy seals try outs) And I smoke most of the 20-30 year olds eating this way :)

As a PreWO meal I have ( ok...6'2", 215, low body fat , so adjust accordingly) 1/3 can of coconut milk in my coffee, 4 whole eggs cooked in pastured beef fat or coconut oil, and two tbsp almond butter ( I was trying not to do the nut butter thing but I really need the calories early AM without barfing on a workout) It's a great feeling sitting at my table eating at 4:30am and feeling a wave of high octane energy and warmth, raging like an inferno, ready to concur the day!!!! Never never got that from oatmeal lol

So for me avocado almost every meal, lots of olive oil on my salads and even on veggies after they are cooked and on my plate, I make a lot of curry dishes using coconut milk, cook in pastured animal fat or ghee,or coconut oil, and don't for get ....hollandaise sauce ( egg yolk,lemon,ghee, cayenne ) on asparagus or broccoli/cauliflower (eat it by the spoonful ) ;) and if they don't trigger you nut butters

So yesterday went like this...

Breakfast - coffee with coconut milk (canned), 1 sweet potato; 1 egg; 3 egg whites; jalepenos

Snack (meal) - coconut flakes, almonds, small banana

Lunch - 2 cups mixed greens, 4 oz mesquite grilled salmon, 1/8 mango, 1/2 red pepper

Snack - 2 egg whites, 10 small green olives, 1/4 orange bell pepper, & baby carrots

Dinner - turkey with grilled zuchinni & squash, 1/3 sweet potato

Snack - 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce with cinnamon

I did NOT do my workout yesterday (which was supposed to be a 20 minute flow...), and I am going to try to get it done today.

Any suggestions based on the above? Breakfast/Snacks/Lunch are pretty much standard fare for me...Dinner varies...but is usually some lean protien and veggies...

As per ISWF, I took the suggestion and only ate my three meals (plus fat & protein PreWo- lean protein & sweet potato PostWO) and no snacking..... I've been on the six meal a day roller coaster for so long that I really really truly believed that I could not go 2 1/2 hours without eating ( cranky,light headed,moody,fatigued). I truly was a slave and counted the minutes to my next meal/snack... I would watch the clock and salivate at 3:00pm and I could have my 1000 cal protein smoothie!!!

I look back and say to myself, " self! .... That was really messed up". I can say that for the first time I can remember, I am almost never head hungry and can go six- seven hours on a proper W30 meal .... Sometimes life dictates my meals closer together, but I do not crave my next meal in anticipation... It took a few weeks to get to this point, but OMG, is this freedom!!!! Sometimes I eat meal three at 7:30-8:00 PM and I'm not that hungry... just because I know I need to eat and be in bed before 10:30....

I suggest you try increasing your portion sizes, eat more fat and skip the snacks.... Your hormones will balance out in no time and you will be very very greatful that you did!!!! Your body will start burning its fat stores for fuel and you'll be pumped all the time....

As per ISWF, I took the suggestion and only ate my three meals (plus fat & protein PreWo- lean protein & sweet potato PostWO) and no snacking..... I've been on the six meal a day roller coaster for so long that I really really truly believed that I could not go 2 1/2 hours without eating ( cranky,light headed,moody,fatigued). I truly was a slave and counted the minutes to my next meal/snack... I would watch the clock and salivate at 3:00pm and I could have my 1000 cal protein smoothie!!!

I look back and say to myself, " self! .... That was really messed up". I can say that for the first time I can remember, I am almost never head hungry and can go six- seven hours on a proper W30 meal .... Sometimes life dictates my meals closer together, but I do not crave my next meal in anticipation... It took a few weeks to get to this point, but OMG, is this freedom!!!! Sometimes I eat meal three at 7:30-8:00 PM and I'm not that hungry... just because I know I need to eat and be in bed before 10:30....

I suggest you try increasing your portion sizes, eat more fat and skip the snacks.... Your hormones will balance out in no time and you will be very very greatful that you did!!!! Your body will start burning its fat stores for fuel and you'll be pumped all the time....

What you have just described is exactly how I have been living for so long! I did get some freedom with my first W30 in the form of not tracking every bite; and not stepping on the scale all the time...but I was still a slave to the six meals a day; and food has way too much space in my brain. I am ordering ISWF...and I am willing to try the three meals a day approach...if this works; then it will be a true gift!

Question: do you have the Pre & PWO meal in addition to your three meals a day?

Also; do you eat nuts and fruit? Do you just eat what your body craves; or do you plan your meals and prep special items?

@Fenderbender - How long have you been doing Whole30? I, too, have to step away from the 5 - 6 small meals per day. A trainer I've worked with in the past did a metabolic test and outlined an eating plan to this effect. I will say that when I have a proper Whole30 breakfast, I can go quite long before I need lunch. I usually have a 3:00 snack I think out of habit. And thanks for the insight to what you eat. Even though I have the book and the Daily30s, it is helpful to see what others do. I do a lot of activity (martial arts, running, sprint tris, long bike rides, and I teach fitness classes) so I have been having issues with energy levels on some days. I am still trying to flesh all that out.

Heathera.... If I say that fast with a fake Japanese accent,you sound like a Japanese B monster movie " Mothera". Lol. Sorry I'm kinda looney tunes.... Anyway...

Yes, on workout days and only AM I wake up and eat my preWo meal ( 1/2 of normal protein ,1 portion normal fat) and a postWO of a large sweet potato, and the other 1/2 portion of lean protein... In addition I workout at night two days a week (45 min combat fitness ... Special forces conditioning stuff.. Then 1 hour Fight or kickboxing and I eat a pkg of almond butter in between). On those nights I don't feel the need for a pre or a post meal as it very geared to metabolic conditioning.... I make sure to get ahead on my caloric intake and I eat a very large sweet potato on meals one and two and have meal three ASAP after class.

I keep it to one fruit a day and usually early....if more its only as a condiment and very tiny amts... I eat nutbutter only preWO and never Hazelnut because its to damn tempting... I could easy spoon down the whole jar at one setting... Occasional crushed nuts on a salad or stir fry

I find it all to easy to fall into a rut and eat the same three things over and over,so I purposely keep on hand a variety to force me to switch things up....but I really try to listen to what my body and not my ( past/ parents/trainers/gurus/emotions/ ghosts/ demons) are telling me to eat...

I had a great? ( muscle and fitness writer/ team trainer for pro sports/ top athletes) trainer.... For five years and he hooked me on six meals a day... I got strong but it destroyed my body and I have been paying the price as my health suffered.... W30 is really freeing and yes it is nice not to be consumed by food....

Luvbn.... I'm on day 40... Going for 90 to see if some of my more nagging issues will straiten out.... I ate ( underrate ) paleo for five months prior.... Issues with my knees have all but disappeared, BP is normal again despite always being very fit...

3 meals a day is the way to go.... You just need to eat more than you think while "dieting". I hate that word!!!!! I work long days some times12-14 hours and I will eat a fourth full meal those days

You'll dial it in.... I listen to what all the Mods respond and it's always consistent.... Eat more fat, eat at least 1 palm ,1 1/2-2 palm of protein if needed and add sweet potato/ squash to some/most meals to get your energy up....

Let us know how your doing!!!!

Heathera.... If I say that fast with a fake Japanese accent,you sound like a Japanese B monster movie " Mothera". Lol. Sorry I'm kinda looney tunes.... Anyway...

Yes, on workout days and only AM I wake up and eat my preWo meal ( 1/2 of normal protein ,1 portion normal fat) and a postWO of a large sweet potato, and the other 1/2 portion of lean protein... In addition I workout at night two days a week (45 min combat fitness ... Special forces conditioning stuff.. Then 1 hour Fight or kickboxing and I eat a pkg of almond butter in between). On those nights I don't feel the need for a pre or a post meal as it very geared to metabolic conditioning.... I make sure to get ahead on my caloric intake and I eat a very large sweet potato on meals one and two and have meal three ASAP after class.

I keep it to one fruit a day and usually early....if more its only as a condiment and very tiny amts... I eat nutbutter only preWO and never Hazelnut because its to damn tempting... I could easy spoon down the whole jar at one setting... Occasional crushed nuts on a salad or stir fry

I find it all to easy to fall into a rut and eat the same three things over and over,so I purposely keep on hand a variety to force me to switch things up....but I really try to listen to what my body and not my ( past/ parents/trainers/gurus/emotions/ ghosts/ demons) are telling me to eat...

I had a great? ( muscle and fitness writer/ team trainer for pro sports/ top athletes) trainer.... For five years and he hooked me on six meals a day... I got strong but it destroyed my body and I have been paying the price as my health suffered.... W30 is really freeing and yes it is nice not to be consumed by food....

Luvbn.... I'm on day 40... Going for 90 to see if some of my more nagging issues will straiten out.... I ate ( underrate ) paleo for five months prior.... Issues with my knees have all but disappeared, BP is normal again despite always being very fit...

3 meals a day is the way to go.... You just need to eat more than you think while "dieting". I hate that word!!!!! I work long days some times12-14 hours and I will eat a fourth full meal those days

You'll dial it in.... I listen to what all the Mods respond and it's always consistent.... Eat more fat, eat at least 1 palm ,1 1/2-2 palm of protein if needed and add sweet potato/ squash to some/most meals to get your energy up....

Let us know how your doing!!!!

LOL...that is exactly how you should say it; and with attitude! :D

Thank you! This really helps.

I started trying the three meal option today...and honestly I have felt really full; with hardly any cravings.

I typically train at 5:00 AM; but today I went home during lunch for Les Mills...and had plenty of energy - which was a real surprise! The cravings haven't been too bad yet; only once when I saw some cashews on a co-worker's desk. haha

So far:

Breakfast - large sweet potato, 3 eggs, jalepenos, 1/2 banana

Pre-WO - 1 egg, 1 apple, zuchinni & squash

PWO (lunch) - chicken breast, mixed greens, 1/3 cup crushed pineapple, 1/4 avocado

Dinner (planning to have: tilapia & roasted brussel sprouts in olive oil & 1/4 large sweet potato)

Today is the first day I have cut out the nuts; and I realize this is a lot of fruit...I will taper it down in the next ten days (today is day four).

I typically train six days a week; and am about to add four sessions of hot yoga per week to this schedule (I have taken the past three months off from my yoga practice~and now I am restarting so I can begin training to become an instructor.) When I am training and doing yoga as well; I have a similar schedule to yours ... and I am not really very hungry after yoga sessions.

Does this plan look more balanced, or too much? Four eggs seems like a LOT; and I feel really full...

Maybe a Mod will chime in, but to me looks like your not eating enough... But why do I know.... Lol

I am very guilty of overtraining, getting injured, recoup, starting back hard to make up for losses....

I'm really trying very very hard to break that cycle... I don't lift anything heavy any more, all my workouts are compound movements, body weight, or core, kettle bells, or very light weight.... I don't think I've touched over a 40lb dumbbell in a while ( I used to go strait for the heavy end of the rack). I cut back to only two days a week of light workout In the weight room plus a spin class or a road ride on those days... And three times a week of combat fitness- fight/ kickboxing....

Be carful when you add the yoga, if it were me I'd cut way back on everything else until you get certified.... You can always pick it up a notch but if you stress your body, it will mess you up in silent,hidden ways until its to late and ......back on the rollar coaster....

I can tell your a soldier.... But if you run head on into a battle with no plan, you get blown up... If you are patient,plan,stick to the plan, deploy wisely,you live to tell your great grand kids about it... :)

Maybe a Mod will chime in, but to me looks like your not eating enough... But why do I know.... Lol

Be carful when you add the yoga, if it were me I'd cut way back on everything else until you get certified.... You can always pick it up a notch but if you stress your body, it will mess you up in silent,hidden ways until its to late and ......back on the rollar coaster....

I can tell your a soldier.... But if you run head on into a battle with no plan, you get blown up... If you are patient,plan,stick to the plan, deploy wisely,you live to tell your great grand kids about it... :)

Love this.

I ate a bit more yesterday; and made it through some cravings...it wasn't a lift day...just some gentle yoga and hard core abs.

Sounds like you have your routine down to a science, and are speaking from experience. I think that's great advice about cutting back on everything else until I am certified with yoga. The Combat program is another 60 days...and I really don't want to lose ground in my yoga practice during that time...I might try adding a couple of sessions per week until I complete Combat...

heathera - Sorry to "butt" in between you and Fenderbender, but what do you do in Combat?

So Fenderbender - if a person doesn't have enough energy for a particular workout, then it's because they need to eat more food? What would you recommend for running a half marathon. I have one next weekend (out of town), and some friends I am running with will want to load up on pasta the night before.

I gave up endurance training a while ago... The most I ever do is a 30 mile road bike ride, so I have no Paleo/ Whole30 endurance advice.... Lots of posts here on endurance training... My gut tells me to load up on sweet potatoes a day before and that morning and have some sweet potato cubed with some dried fruit and pkgs of nut butter, if you need to fuel during the run.... I'd experiment with some shorter training runs to see how you feel with different food while running.... Everyone reacts differently depending on how fat adapted/ carb depend they are...again I'm sure there are more experienced folks here....

Good Morning! I am having some sunbutter...pre-WO...and wondering how much are in the packets you eat? Is it a TBS, or more, or less?

also; things have been AWESOME since I started the three meals a day...I have found that I actually have four meals most days (one is PWO) ...and I usually have to have some type of snack at some point when my stomach starts to growl...maybe not enough at each meal? maybe metabolism speeding up? Whatcha think?

Archived