Starting 11/26 - 30 days 'till Christmas

heathera

Count me in, too! I'm on day 4 and doing mostly fine (weird lymph node pain on the left side of my face, anyone else ever have something like that?)

Sugar and white flour are the scourge of my nutritional life--i'd really like to get those monkeys off my back. Looking forward to checking in here and giving and getting support!

Breakfast stumps me a little, too. I can see that i'm going to tire of eggs and turkey bacon pretty soon. what is everyone else eating for breakfast?

Renee

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Count me in, too! I'm on day 4 and doing mostly fine (weird lymph node pain on the left side of my face, anyone else ever have something like that?)

Sugar and white flour are the scourge of my nutritional life--i'd really like to get those monkeys off my back. Looking forward to checking in here and giving and getting support!

Breakfast stumps me a little, too. I can see that i'm going to tire of eggs and turkey bacon pretty soon. what is everyone else eating for breakfast?

Renee

Welcome rmbender! It's day 3 for me...and I still have a headache...has yours gone yet? I think it is the detox from the sugar and flour ...

I haven't had any facial pain; but I do have a swollen lymph node...maybe it's the body's way of processing the toxins? My strategy is going to be to eat more fresh cilantro and parsley...which I have heard helps with eliminating toxins.

I train pretty heavily most days...so I usually have a sweet potato/eggs & eggwhites & some jalepeno or curry powder for breakfast. Occasionally I will have some berries and coconut milk & a spinach/egg omlet...I might even scramble some plantain with egg whites. I stay away from bacon b/c of the nitrates etc...I might have the turkey bacon occasionally if I can find it without sugar/nitrates/excess sodium. Other breakfast ideas include walnuts and sweet potato with egg scramble...banana/walnuts & coconut milk...chicken breast and acorn squash...turkey breast/dried cranberries (homeade w/o sugar) and acorn squash with cinnamon...chicken breast/salsa/broccoli... check out "the clothes make the girl" for more ideas. :)

I train pretty heavily most days...so I usually have a sweet potato/eggs & eggwhites & some jalepeno or curry powder for breakfast. Occasionally I will have some berries and coconut milk & a spinach/egg omlet...I might even scramble some plantain with egg whites.

May I ask why you only eat the whites? Seems like a waste of good fats and protein to me!

sure!

I usually have a one whole egg to 2-3 egg white ratio...more protien...and still keeping with the "thumb"-full rule of fat per meal. If I had all four whole eggs...that would be too much fat...and only two eggs would be too little protien. Plantain and egg whites would probably contain a whole egg as well...with the same ratio. :)

Today I went to a farm not far from where I live. Bought 10 kgs ground beef (a little more then 20 pounds I think).

Had a horrible headache and was quite irritated but now in the evening it feels better.

One day at a time!

Guys, you should know that you have it good over there in the states, you have such a broad variety of healthy food to choose from. Maybe you're not aware of it but when I visited the USA this summer I was stunned of all the options you have.

Just saying this so you can think of it as a positive thing that you have :)

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I started my W30 4 days ago, so 11/25, and reading the boards have helped. I've got a nasty headache today, but I am really excited and committed to doing this! Glad to know there are fellow beginners out there during the holiday season. I'm looking forward to feeling better and looking better! I have been drinking a lot of herbal tea to help stave off my sweet tooth during the day, and at night which is when I would typically graze.

Not eating a few hours before bed has been my biggest challenge, so far. Does anyone have this problem? Any solutions beyond tea that have helped you?

Cheers! Hope your day is filled with delicious Good Food!

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I started my W30 4 days ago, so 11/25, and reading the boards have helped. I've got a nasty headache today, but I am really excited and committed to doing this! Glad to know there are fellow beginners out there during the holiday season. I'm looking forward to feeling better and looking better! I have been drinking a lot of herbal tea to help stave off my sweet tooth during the day, and at night which is when I would typically graze.

Not eating a few hours before bed has been my biggest challenge, so far. Does anyone have this problem? Any solutions beyond tea that have helped you?

Cheers! Hope your days filled with delicious Good Food!

Welcome Brittany! Congratulations for starting!!

I for sure have challenges with not eating a few hours before bed...I grew up on a bowl of cereal as a snack every single night before bed for at least 17 years. I'm pretty sure that's why my brain thinks I am supposed to eat before bed.

What helps me might not be 'approved' by everyone...but it's what works for me most nights...

1) I keep busy after dinner; pretty much until it's time for bed; I am doing something (not just sitting in front of the television)

2) If I must have a snack; then I try to have broccoli...or ) I'll have just a bit of sliced watermelon; or some unsweetened applesauce with cinnamon.

3) Sometimes I can do some gentle yoga for relaxation

Like I said...#2 might not be "approved" because part of the W30 is really about trying to heal the relationship with food; and change old patterns and behaviors. However, given a choice between binging on something non-compliant; and having a 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce...well...you get the point.

During my first round I found that these snacks became less important as the 30 days progressed; and I was able to cut them out completely...whereas the first week to 10 days; I used them to keep myself from eating non-compliant foods. It all comes down to what works for you; things that are triggers for me; might not bother you at all; and vice versa.

:D

PS...I've had the headache since noon on Day 1...

Stefr817

I have been putting (full fat) coconut milk, organic canned pumpkin (from whole foods), and a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg every morning during my Whole30. I finished one week ago and I still look forward to my "pumpkin spiced coffee" in the mornings.

How much pumpkin do you add? Sounds delicious!

Another interesting thing you can do with fruit, especially this time of year is slice up some apple, toss it in a small amount of coconut oil, cinnamon and sea salt, cover and bake at 350F for about 30 min. Great side with dinner :)

I have been exhausted in the afternoon. Yesterday was bad, I was so darn cranky but the family knew why. Today I felt like a bus hit me at 3pm and seriously just wanted to take a hot bath and go to bed. But, as a Mama not an option. No lymph node but weird bump and itchy spot on my face, left side, just below my eye.

No real issues with snacks since I dont do that much anyways, but craving for wine last night that I replaced with Kombucha. Also craving spice so having some Pico De Gallo from Whole Foods with some shrimp I sautéed in coconut oil.

Does anyone track the calories? Thought you should if you did not follow the meal plan? Monday I ate about 500 less than I burned (still ate 1800) and same as yesterday, about 400 less but I was not hungry and actually bloated and awful feeling yesterday. Worried Im not getting enough but I am full and I don't want to loose any weight, some fat ok but need to replace and build muscle.

Does anyone track the calories? Thought you should if you did not follow the meal plan? Monday I ate about 500 less than I burned (still ate 1800) and same as yesterday, about 400 less but I was not hungry and actually bloated and awful feeling yesterday. Worried Im not getting enough but I am full and I don't want to loose any weight, some fat ok but need to replace and build muscle.

I'm not sure what you mean by "if you did not follow the meal plan", but Whole30 is absolutely not about counting calories. For thirty day, you have ONE job only: putting good quality food in your mouth. That's it! Counting calories kind of goes against building a healthy relationship with food and learning to listen to your body. I went through phases where I would count calories (and macronutrients) and I know the arguments for pro-calorie counting ("your body is like a car and counting calories is like your gas tank indicator..." yada yada). But the thing is, once you start eating the right foods, your hunger/satiety signals start working like a charm. You know when you're hungry, and you know when you're full. That's pretty much all that matters.

Plus calories are an abstract measure. A calorie basically refers to the amount of energy released when burned (as in real fire). As far as I know, I don't have a fire burner in my stomach. Loosing weight, gaining weight, maintaining weight... is so much more complex than just "calories in/calories out" (You might be interested in a study by Alan Kekwick: "One group was fed 90% carbohydrates, the second group 90% protein, and the third group 90% fat. [All ate 1 000 calories per day] The group receiving 90% carbohydrates gained an average of 0,24 pounds per day of the study. The group receiving 90 protein lost an average of 0,6 pounds per day of the study, and the group receiving 90% fat lost an average of 0,9 pounds per day of the study.")

So stop worrying about calories. They will never be an indicator of your health, well-being or even performance.

I'm a lazy cook... But I found a yummy on the go breakfast. Take cooked butternut squash. Add melted coconut oil and dried coconut flakes and cinnamon. Heat it all in a big coffee mug. Grab a spoon and dig in.

I just finished day 5. Bad headaches but I think they are almost over.

I started November 26th as well and this next month I have 3 different Christmas parties that are pot lucks and one catered, and three Christmas luncheons for work. Oh and not to mention Christmas Eve dinner and Christmas breakfast. Eek! This first week has been going really well for me, just planning good meals during these party days will be a challenge.

I'm a lazy cook... But I found a yummy on the go breakfast. Take cooked butternut squash. Add melted coconut oil and dried coconut flakes and cinnamon. Heat it all in a big coffee mug. Grab a spoon and dig in.

That sounds really yummy! Is there enough protein in that though?

My headache is gone today (day 4) so far...we'll see how the rest of the day goes ;)

Hi Julio..sounds yummy but you also have some meat or eggs in that meal?

I'll bet some sausage would be excellent in there! I might try it as a side to my morning eggs! Mmmmmm.

I started November 26th as well and this next month I have 3 different Christmas parties that are pot lucks and one catered, and three Christmas luncheons for work. Oh and not to mention Christmas Eve dinner and Christmas breakfast. Eek! This first week has been going really well for me, just planning good meals during these party days will be a challenge.

That's a LOT of parties ... you will need to be really vigilant (and eat before attending maybe?)

Are they all mandatory? I know our Christmas luncheon is mandatory; and I am going to have whatever protien they serve; along with the salad (which they will most certainly have)...I'll have to resist the bread...and I might have to take some avocado or coconut with me in order to have some fat with the meal. :)

I haven't decided how I'll handle our Christmas Eve dinner; and Christmas breakfast yet...but I'm thinking I will make some tasty W30 compliant things for myself; and serve the traditional stuff to my better 1/2; and the kiddos~! :D

Hi, everyone! I'm in, too! I started Nov 25th and my experience is pretty good so far. The other day I made a breakfast from two leftover Thanksgiving dishes (we had a Paleo Thanksgiving on Sunday) and mixed them together. One was a sausage "stuffing" with sausage, onion, apple, and pecan; the other dish was roasted butternut squash with onion and cranberry. I just threw everything into a wok and added cinnamon: it was amazing!!!

Good luck!

This morning I made 2 eggs baked in a acorn squash with a side of tomatoes and salt as well as pineapple. Think I needed some fat though as the guacmole I used yesterday held me over more.

Felt so tired last night but slept awful as baby girl was in our bed. Felt good this morning though, but feel like my eyes itch and are so dry again today. Suprised I did not have any cravings last night and shocked I have already made it 4 days!

I need to try some cinnamon on my squash and sweet potatoes! I actually have some in my desk and will use it on my sweet potatoes at lunch with Ghee! Yum!

Archived