Starting 11/26 - 30 days 'till Christmas

heathera

Alright! I am done with my calorie monitoring for now and will just listen to my body! Thanks for setting me free :) Actually relieved now as have been feeling overwhelmed. Taking off BodyMedia monitor and putting it in my purse and logging off My Fitness Pal!

Yay! You seem to be doing great so far! Keep it up! Counting calories can really be overwhelming and energy-consuming. From personal experience, counting my calories would increase my anxiety towards food. It can quickly escalate to the point where you only look at that number to choose your food. The quality of the food (and the assesment "Is it real food") are completely left out. Earlier today, I saw something on Pinterest: a table showing small tips to loose weight. Well, one of those [ill-informed] tips was to replace a breakfast of 3-egg omelette, bacon, toast, hash brown with... cereals with skim milk. Sure, the first breakfast is not perfect, but the recommended one is not even real food anymore. It ONLY focused on how much calories each breakfast contains, without even questionning the quality of the food.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Renee, I feel so much better without counting but it has been awkward this afternoon, so used to it. Im not worried about gaining weight, but loosing. Still, I need to trust my body and what I am craving at the time.

Day 4 is done food wise and I feel AWESOME! Still have tons of energy at 9pm which is rare for me. Still going to go to bed soon since I have been up since 5:30. No energy slump today at all!

Got my hair done tonight too which usually involves wine. Everyone around me had a glass but I said no and didn't have a single issue with it! Brought a bottle of Kombucha to sip on.

How is everyone doing going into day 5?

I'm feeling pretty good. The weekends are the hard part for me though, so hopefully I can keep myself busy. Boredom is what brings on the needless eating for me. Otherwise, this week has gone by without a hitch!

Where does everyone get this Kombucha and what is it? Is it Whole30 approved? I don't mind drinking water, but I would love another option for a 'treat' on a friday night or something to help me stay away from the glass of wine....or 4.

That's a LOT of parties ... you will need to be really vigilant (and eat before attending maybe?)

Are they all mandatory? I know our Christmas luncheon is mandatory; and I am going to have whatever protien they serve; along with the salad (which they will most certainly have)...I'll have to resist the bread...and I might have to take some avocado or coconut with me in order to have some fat with the meal. :)

I haven't decided how I'll handle our Christmas Eve dinner; and Christmas breakfast yet...but I'm thinking I will make some tasty W30 compliant things for myself; and serve the traditional stuff to my better 1/2; and the kiddos~! :D

Pretty much all but one or two I should really go to...daughter's day care party, husband's work party, my department meeting/Christmas party. I can try and skip out of my brother's Christmas potluck but its my lil bro and I missed his Halloween get together. Sheesh, busy month. I just have to plan wisely, I know I can do it! :) so happy to have the support of all you whole30ers and get advice on how to survive the holidays. This will be such an accomplishment for me and I know all of you!

Pretty much all but one or two I should really go to...daughter's day care party, husband's work party, my department meeting/Christmas party. I can try and skip out of my brother's Christmas potluck but its my lil bro and I missed his Halloween get together. Sheesh, busy month. I just have to plan wisely, I know I can do it! :) so happy to have the support of all you whole30ers and get advice on how to survive the holidays. This will be such an accomplishment for me and I know all of you!

That's a great attitude! Thank you.

This forum is so important for me, and I really appreciate everyone in here...I'm starting day 5...and I know my holiday office party might be a challenge; but I'll be past "the point of no return" by then...so that might make it easier.

Keep going strong!!

I'm feeling pretty good. The weekends are the hard part for me though, so hopefully I can keep myself busy. Boredom is what brings on the needless eating for me. Otherwise, this week has gone by without a hitch!

Where does everyone get this Kombucha and what is it? Is it Whole30 approved? I don't mind drinking water, but I would love another option for a 'treat' on a friday night or something to help me stay away from the glass of wine....or 4.

I haven't ever personally tried it...but I don't drink alcohol anyways...I found this on Wikipedia...

"Kombucha is an effervescent fermentation of sweetened tea that is used as a functional food.

Sometimes referred to as a "mushroom" or "mother", the kombucha culture is actually a symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast (SCOBY).

"

Weekends can be hard...maybe you can plan today what you are going to eat tomorrow? Also, make a plan to prevent boredom! Join a meet up group; go to the library, clean out the basement, make a plan for something...for me; if I sit in front of the television; then I can get bored. :D

Hello, all! I started my first Whole 30 on Wednesday. So, I'm in day 3. We've been trying to keep Paleo/Primal before this, but went off the wagon Thanksgiving week while I had relatives staying with me.

Here's my chance to get the ball rolling. So far so good. My energy seems to actually be a little better.....for now. I'm planning on resting over the weekend when the "Kill me now" days are happening.

I drink kombucha because I need to it help with my gut flora. It tastes like vinegar, but it really does help with bloating and other "issues."

Hello, all! I started my first Whole 30 on Wednesday. So, I'm in day 3. We've been trying to keep Paleo/Primal before this, but went off the wagon Thanksgiving week while I had relatives staying with me.

Here's my chance to get the ball rolling. So far so good. My energy seems to actually be a little better.....for now. I'm planning on resting over the weekend when the "Kill me now" days are happening.

I drink kombucha because I need to it help with my gut flora. It tastes like vinegar, but it really does help with bloating and other "issues."

Welcome!

That's interesting about the Kombucha...I will be reading more about this!

I LOVE GTs Kombucha, I get it from Whole Foods! This weekend we are celebrating our 14th wedding anniversary. I was so worred about going out to dinner without a glass of wine (dinner will be easy, steak and veggies cooked just for me due to all allergies) Thinking about it last night, I dont even want one now! The thought of it turns my stomach with how good I have been feeling.

My sleeping hasn't beed good either, but on the other hand, I have had severe sleep issues for more then 10 years, so that doesn't say so much in my case :)

Oh, I just have to tell you all how proud I am of myself :)

Yesterday, I was helping out at a sort of graduation party, with the food. It was delicious food and the desserts were my favourites, but although I was allowed to eat the food, I didn't touch it :)

And - I was so thirsty, so I took a glass and poured up what I thought was water from a jug. But when I drank it, it tasted so very sweet, so I understood it was something else. I had a full mouth of this, and ran to the bathroom, looking quite ridiculous probably, dodging among all these people. And in the bathroom, I spit it out. I don't know it that was an overkill, it was truly an accident, but if I'm gonna eat or drink something sweet, it should be on purpose right?

Just checking in on day 7. (Day 7 already!? This week flew by!) I woke up two hours earlier (without an alarm clock!) than I usually do on a Saturday. I feel really energized and have already written up my grocery list and meal plan for the week. In the newsletter, it says to try to wake up as close to dawn as possible. I usually fall asleep around 10pm and sleep until 8am. Is there such thing as too much sleep? I'm actually looking forward to waking earlier each morning because I feel so much more at ease when I can wake up, exercise, eat, and get all those morning "chores" out of the way.

Hope everyone else is doing really well. :)

Just been catching up on this thread and several breakfast ideas.... Seems like a lot of starch,fat,fruit.... Where are the veggies? I can attribute my personal success to really loading up on at least 2 cups of several varieties/ colors of veg with each and every meal and for me at least two palms of protein .... I save the starch for post workout and to fuel the next days long/ intense workouts,but I must say the bulk of my carbs comes from vegetables.... I won't eat unless I have proper veg matter ( I was on the road and had chicken breast and an avocado in a Baggie and forgot my veg, stopped In a grocery store and got a bag of raw spinach and just force feed my self the entire bag...yum yum)

Anyway, I'm not trying to be a downer or pat myself on the back ( I've just been super super turbo charged).... But I'm sure the mods would agree that eating enough/ variety of veg, protein, and fat, keeping fruit/ nuts to a minimum and starchy only for fuel, is key to a Whole30 success ......

I think I started one day early so I'm on my day #6. It's only 10 am and I'm feeling exhausted. I haven't been sleeping that well either. Is anyone else having these issues?

I slept great on nights one and six...but have had some sleeping 'issues' otherwise.

I am pretty sure it will pass.

My sleeping hasn't beed good either, but on the other hand, I have had severe sleep issues for more then 10 years, so that doesn't say so much in my case :)

Oh, I just have to tell you all how proud I am of myself :)

Yesterday, I was helping out at a sort of graduation party, with the food. It was delicious food and the desserts were my favourites, but although I was allowed to eat the food, I didn't touch it :)

And - I was so thirsty, so I took a glass and poured up what I thought was water from a jug. But when I drank it, it tasted so very sweet, so I understood it was something else. I had a full mouth of this, and ran to the bathroom, looking quite ridiculous probably, dodging among all these people. And in the bathroom, I spit it out. I don't know it that was an overkill, it was truly an accident, but if I'm gonna eat or drink something sweet, it should be on purpose right?

I think you did great! keep it up!!!

Just been catching up on this thread and several breakfast ideas.... Seems like a lot of starch,fat,fruit.... Where are the veggies? I can attribute my personal success to really loading up on at least 2 cups of several varieties/ colors of veg with each and every meal and for me at least two palms of protein .... I save the starch for post workout and to fuel the next days long/ intense workouts,but I must say the bulk of my carbs comes from vegetables.... I won't eat unless I have proper veg matter ( I was on the road and had chicken breast and an avocado in a Baggie and forgot my veg, stopped In a grocery store and got a bag of raw spinach and just force feed my self the entire bag...yum yum)

Anyway, I'm not trying to be a downer or pat myself on the back ( I've just been super super turbo charged).... But I'm sure the mods would agree that eating enough/ variety of veg, protein, and fat, keeping fruit/ nuts to a minimum and starchy only for fuel, is key to a Whole30 success ......

Agreed!

I train daily; and add a bit of starch to every meal; but veggies are key...I have a minimum of two handfuls of green stuff every day; broccoli...brussels sprouts...and mixed greens are my favorites...I also try to add one serving of crrots, cauliflower, or bell peppers (red, green, and yellow) every day. My plate is usually 1/2 protein and 1/2 veggies with a "thumb-full" of fat mixed in.

I had to cut out the nuts...they are a trigger for me...and I will eat them like candy.

Fruit is a different story...I believe the recommended is one to two daily...I usually have two ... at least a banana and an apple every day...usually I have the banana early in the day; and the apple later in the day...and I will most likely cut down to one per day as I go into week three. :)

I'm with you too! The only thing is I have a party on December 1st that I really wanted to enjoy (translation: wanted to have a few drinks and enjoy some Christmas cookies). Not sure what I'm going to do about that, but I'm in for sure. I've already set aside a few things for tomorrow and know that the Whole30 always makes me feel better!

You still with us? :)

I failed : ( I've been away for training this past week. I made my breakfasts and lunches ahead of time and bought roast beef and sauerkraut for dinners. Day 1-3, I ate dinner before going out with my group and just had water at the restaurant. By Thursday, my will was waning. At dinner, my boss mentioned something about hoping everyone could bond. That was enough for me. We all shared a pitcher and then some... Needless to say, three of us closed out the bar : ( The only good thing is that I finished all the food that I brought, so no waste there. But, holy whoa, me and beer are no longer even remotely friends! Here's to getting back on track Monday.

I failed : ( I've been away for training this past week. I made my breakfasts and lunches ahead of time and bought roast beef and sauerkraut for dinners. Day 1-3, I ate dinner before going out with my group and just had water at the restaurant. By Thursday, my will was waning. At dinner, my boss mentioned something about hoping everyone could bond. That was enough for me. We all shared a pitcher and then some... Needless to say, three of us closed out the bar : ( The only good thing is that I finished all the food that I brought, so no waste there. But, holy whoa, me and beer are no longer even remotely friends! Here's to getting back on track Monday.

It's not a failure...just another lesson. You could always start now...there's no rule saying Monday is the day to begin anything... :)

So I am now obsessed with GT's Kombucha from whole foods!! And I'm glad I found it because I have had a history of digestion issues, so maybe this could be part of an answer!!

I'm going into day 8 tomorrow, can't say this weekend was with 'flying colors', but it was successful nonetheless. Did a little snacking today that I shouldn't have, but it was whole30 compliant (leftover paleo tuna salad). Ready to get another week under the belt!!

Good luck to everyone else!! Hope everyone is fighting hard!

So I am now obsessed with GT's Kombucha from whole foods!! And I'm glad I found it because I have had a history of digestion issues, so maybe this could be part of an answer!!

I'm going into day 8 tomorrow, can't say this weekend was with 'flying colors', but it was successful nonetheless. Did a little snacking today that I shouldn't have, but it was whole30 compliant (leftover paleo tuna salad). Ready to get another week under the belt!!

Good luck to everyone else!! Hope everyone is fighting hard!

Awesome...I'm right with you on the day...day 8 starts tomorrow...and hopefully the headaches are behind us. I'm really interested in the Kombucha...obviously your digestion issues are helped by the kombucha, in what way?

My Sunday was good...walked an hour around the neighborhood with my son...and stayed compliant. I had a small package of pistachios which I didn't have on my plan; but my stomach was rumbling, and it was the only W30 compliant food (other than banana or pork rinds) which I could find at the convenience store...I needed the fat...but I don't like to have pistachios unless in that type of situation. You might say almonds, or cashews...but they must not contain peanut oil, or traces of soy in order to be compliant. :)

Overall, my weekend was GREAT as far as compliance, planning, and willpower!

Need help, I was starting to feel under the weather yesterday and took two servings of Emergen-C throughout the day. It just dawned on me about the sugar in it and I check the ingredients and each serving has 6 grams of sugar. Does this mean I have to start over? I'm so totally bummed cause I've had such an awesome week and I didn't even think about the sugar I was drinking in my "hope to get better" drink.

Any thoughts and also anything else I should take to kick this cold that's whole30 approved? I've already been sick - got horribly sick week of thanksgiving. Thanks!

Bekah-- you did it on accident, not on purpose so take it as a learning experience and move on.

As for how to deal with illness while on Whole 30, no clue. But don't beat yourself up over yesterday. Sorry I am not more helpful.

Archived