Question about sweet potatoes

Mallory

Hey everyone, quick question about sweet potatoes...

I went to Sprouts starting my W30 and bought a potato that was labeled sweet potato. When I baked it and opened it up, I was surprised that it was yellow inside and looked more like an actual white potato. I guess in the past I have bought yams...

I'm just wondering if one is better than the other as far as nutrition?

Thanks!

Interesting you ask this question. I had this question from someone at my gym just yesterday. Did just a bit of research and found sweet potatoes have more anti-inflamatory compounds, vitamin A, potassium, copper, manganese. Yams have more omega 3 fatty acids.

Again, this was just a quick internet search...probably not all that comprehensive .

Are you sure it is actually a yam and not another breed of sweet potato being labeled as a yam? Yams are typically harder to come by - you can find them at international grocery stores sometimes, but rarely at other grocery stores (in the US, at least). There are more than one type of sweet potato, and often the variety that isn't orange is labeled as a yam, but it is not truly a yam.

At Sprouts the ones that I got were labeled sweet potatoes, and they were yellow inside. The ones that were labeled yams were darker on the outside and I think they would have been the ones that were orange on the inside.

Most of the varieties found in the US are actually sweet potatoes but generally they label the orange fleshed ones yams. A true yam is rarely found in the US and is typically sourced in Africa or Asia...You probably purchased a hannah sweet potato which has a white-yellow flesh and isn't as sweet as a "yam" which will have red, garnet or orange flesh. I would liken the texture and taste of the hannah more to the white potato ...although it's still a sweet potato. did you like it?

Andrea- thanks for the explanation. The hannah definitely was more like a white potato... I think I like the orange ones more, but it would be good when you want a potato without such a strong sweetness. My boyfriend doesn't like sweet potatoes (or so he says!) but I might see if he likes the hannah sweet potatoes since they are more mild!

This must be very regional. Where I live (Vancouver), most grocers list orange tubers as yams and yellow ones as sweet potatoes. I prefer the latter, but eat both, and I love how easy it is to make them in a toaster oven.

There are also purple tubers at some markets here labeled as purple yams. I haven't had them yet except years ago as an ingredient in cake to make it look lavender-coloured, but it was just basically a white bakery cake.

Archived