A Possibly Stupid Question about Dairy

Arlene Thayer

Today was my first day of reintroduction and I started with dairy. Specifically, I had a cup of greek yogurt at breakfast and about 1/4 cup of cheese at lunch.

And, then, I totally crashed - terrible fatique and mental fogginess all afternoon. I used to feel that way frequently but alwasy assumed it was my horrible sugar addiction...

So, here comes the possibly stupid question: I always thought that intolerance to dairy manifested as stomach and or lower GI issues. I never thought it would cause such complete fatigue and mental fogginess. I guess I just need to be hit over the heead. Can the intolerance show up in these ways?

Guest ArleneC

Thanks to all who have responded...I know it seems sort of obvious, but of course, there's the mental resistance to thinking that my beloved dairy is such a problem food. I'm so glad I did the Whole 30 to enable me to find out though. I have been holding off giving away my fantastic collection of expensive whey protein powders...but now it looks like it's out. It is a little hard to wrap my head around. I drank those dang protein shakes for TEN years straight just about every day...

Ooh, painful boils...I am glad I don't get those, Carlaccini...

Arlene,

Yes. I am glad I don't get them anymore either. I am a former dairy lover. I loved cheese, and I loved ice cream. Milk not so much. I just aways assumed that the boils were a painful part of my life. I was more focused on ridding myself another painful part of my life (migraines) when I started dabbling in Paleo type eating. When the boils disappeared and didn't come back, I knew I was onto something.

I was not willing to do a formal re-intro because I knew there were definite issues with dairy, grains, and sugar. I was just whole 30ing it until I fell into a situation where me straying off course could not be helped. I wavered a bit afterwards, but discovered I feel better on plan (like many of us do) than off.

Cheers,

Carla

• 5 months later...

Sorry for your reaction, but I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. I reintroduced dairy yesterday, and today I am feeling SO bitchy! Everyone at work has noticed (since I've been in a really good mood for the past month.) It feels like horrible PMS, but it's not. I cannot believe that this could be caused by milk...so weird!

Milk (especially conventional dairy) is full of hormones from the cows because, for a lot of milking cows, they aren't allowed to continue getting pregnant/having babies. Some milking cows have never been pregnant, so their milk is more of a colustrum than milk...but since it all gets homogenized with everything else...you don't know you're getting more hormones!

All that to say...maybe you're "PMSing" because of the hormones in your dairy.

Milk (especially conventional dairy) is full of hormones from the cows because, for a lot of milking cows, they aren't allowed to continue getting pregnant/having babies. Some milking cows have never been pregnant, so their milk is more of a colustrum than milk...but since it all gets homogenized with everything else...you don't know you're getting more hormones!

All that to say...maybe you're "PMSing" because of the hormones in your dairy.

:o :o :o

Archived