Approved sausage?

aberman3

I'm sorry if this has already been answered but I've searched a few times and am only getting posts that mention sausage.

Anyway, I'm on Day 3 of my first Whole 30 and it's going great so far! But, I'd like to eat sausage and I've been to a few supermarkets with no luck, every single one as sugar or something in it. But in my search to answer this question, tons of sausage recipes show up. What brands are approved and what stores carry those brands???

I'm in a somewhat rural area of Maryland without a lot of options as far as grocery stores go. I do have access to farmers though, so is everyone just buying straight from the source for this??

Also, I've seen a lot of ingredient lists that say "less than 2% of each..." and then list a bunch of ingredients (sugars, mostly) is it best to not eat those during the 30 days?

Thanks!

If sugar (of some form) is listed in the ingredients - it's a no go.

So I have taken to making my own. Well my In-laws make their own anyway so I can have that. But if you are looking for breakfast sausage - yeah well I haven't had much luck in that front either. Also I have yet to find a breakfast sausage recipe that I am really crazy about. I've made one with ground pork and cut up pieces of apple and some spices. Make them into little patties and then fry them up. Top them with sauerkraut (you can make it or an approved brand is Bubbies) and some home made ketchup (sweetened with apple sauce)

If you have access to farmers you can always ask the ingredients that gets put in. You might have some luck there.

• Moderators

I have found Whole30-compliant sausage in the meat case at Whole Foods - Bratwurst, Chorizo, and Andouille. And Whole Foods has some chicken sausage that is compliant by several different companies. The chicken apple is the one that I have found that is sugar free. The problem is that you have to check the ingredients everywhere you go. They may use different recipes to make sausage at different locations.

I have made my own sausage from ground pork several times. I've just added whatever spices I liked without attempting to recreate any particular sausage taste. Mine has been okay, but not outstanding like some I've bought. But then, I haven't tried very hard either.

As for me, I get my compliant sausages from my local farmer. They are organic, sugar-free and weird stuff-free. I've found one store brand (at a health food store) that was compliant (also from a small farm I believe), but it definitely is not the majority. I would recommend searching for CSAs near your location, as it may be the best way to get access to high-quality meat and meat-products.

However, if you search around (google "Paleo sausage recipe" for example), you'll be able to make your own sausage patties.

I've heard some people found compliant sausages at Costco, but as always, read all the ingredients. "Less than 2%" is still too much!

Aidels has a chicken apple sausage that is compliant. I tried it and didn't love it but lots of people do. However, if I had lots of farmets around, I would do speak with them and source all my meats and eggs from them if they are carefully raised, fed and handled. Do you have a farmers market where the farmers sell their meats and veggies?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm trying to recreate an awesome spaghetti squash with marinara recipe my sister makes but she uses italian sausage. Maybe I can just use ground meat with the sauce. I do have a Whole Foods relatively close and will make a trip there soon.

This time of year the farmer's markets have closed for the season but there are several local creameries that sell meat and dairy products from area farms year round. I'll check them out, I've been wanting to for years anyway but have been lazy and poor! ;)

Oh for that recipe you could easily make your own spicy sausage with good ground beef or pork and fennel seeds and chili flakes. Google paleo spicy italian sausage and you'll find a ton of w30 compliant recipes. You will save mucho $$ by making your own and it will be super easy.

Well Fed has a great (Whole30 compliant) recipe for a sausage seasoning that you can just add to ground beef or pork. I prefer this to using the pre-made stuff because I can add extra seasoning to spice it up the way my husband prefers it... I pretty much always have the sausage seasoning and the pizza seasoning made up and on-hand at all times!

• 6 months later...

It seems that Aidell's has changed its recipe. Here are the new ingredients:

Chicken, Dried Apples, Salt, Fruit Juice Concentrate (Apple, Pineapple, Pear, and Peach), spices, and celery powder, in a pork casing.

QUESTION: Is the Fruit Juice Concentrate OK???

Thanks!

In ISWF they say fruit juice as a sweetener is ok, I am assuming as long as the fruit juice isn't also sweetened with sweeteners.  I would also assume concentrates then are ok.  But I am a newbie too and on day 6 learning my way through (the book has become my bible and goes everywhere with me) so I wouldn't quite quote me :)

We just made "breakfast sausage" out of ground beef, pork, and spices.  It is not the same obviously as store bought, but we are trying to move away from all the store bought stuff and go natural anyway.  For us it is just about learning to adjust and adapt.

sausage is relatively easy to make yourself, give it a try! we have a meat grinder and a sausage stuffed so we make links but if you don't have the stuffer you could make patties or just ground sausage. there are a whole ton of recipes online that fit within the parameters of whole30

• 7 months later...

I have found Whole30-compliant sausage in the meat case at Whole Foods - Bratwurst, Chorizo, and Andouille. And Whole Foods has some chicken sausage that is compliant by several different companies. The chicken apple is the one that I have found that is sugar free. The problem is that you have to check the ingredients everywhere you go. They may use different recipes to make sausage at different locations.

I have made my own sausage from ground pork several times. I've just added whatever spices I liked without attempting to recreate any particular sausage taste. Mine has been okay, but not outstanding like some I've bought. But then, I haven't tried very hard either.

What brand is the chorizo?  I'd like to find that!

• Moderators

Aidell's and Applegate Farms both make an outstanding (and compliant) chicken & apple sausage (they look like a package of hot dogs, and are found in the refrigerated, not frozen, section).

I dice them up (I prefer small pieces) and add to the pan with onions and brown them a bit. Add veggies of choice and maybe even some eggs -- scramble, or make a frittata, or fry one up to top your sausage and veggie combo ... one of our absolute favorite Meal 1 options!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived