Approved sausage?

aberman3

mulay's is the best! and they have great customer service - i was unable to find them at any of my local whole foods, so i contacted customer service and they called all the whole foods in my neighborhood, told me where i could find them, and then put me in contact with the manager at the location so i could let him know which flavors where my favorite to keep in stock.

chorizo and italian sausage. amaaaaazing.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Does anyone know about http://silvasausage.com/ ?  I have confirmed they ship their products anywhere in the U.S. but am awaiting a reply from them on if any of their products are Whole 30 compliant. 

I love Portuguese Linguica and if I can find compliant (that I can afford) that just made my cabbage soup even that much better ^,^.   And Chorizo in scrambled eggs is fantastic

• 11 months later...

I thought sugar gets used up during the curing process of sausages, which doesn't actually leave residual sugar for us to eat.  So then, why would it not be similar to the rules that stuff like kombucha and water kefir are okay (where sugar gets used in the fermentation process)?  

I checked a number of brands/flavors at my local Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Key Foods, and Food Emporium. Obviously check labels before you pick these up in case they change the ingredients or they vary by region, but here is the list I came up with of compliant sausages:

Bilnski's (Whole Foods): Kale Balsamic (assuming grape must is ok? I don't think this is alcohol?) , Sun dried-tomato, Cilantro Lime, Spinach & Garlic, Mild Italian, Wild Mushroom w/ Italian Herbs, Sweet Apple

Brat Hans (Whole Foods): Sun-dried tomato & basil chicken sausage, Spicy Italian chicken sausage

Niman Ranch (Whole Foods, Key Foods) : Andouille sausages

Aidells (Key Foods, Food Emporium): Chicken & Apple

Applegate Organic (sold at all 4 but not every variety): The Great Organic Uncured Beef Hot Dogs (only variety sold all stores I checked but TJ's price was at least $1 cheaper), The Great Organic Uncured Chicken Hot Dogs, and maybe The Great Organic Uncured Turkey Hot Dogs (these include organic cherry powder - does that qualify for the fruit juice exception?)

Trader Joe's: TJ's brand Garlic Herb Chicken Sausage

I thought sugar gets used up during the curing process of sausages, which doesn't actually leave residual sugar for us to eat.  So then, why would it not be similar to the rules that stuff like kombucha and water kefir are okay (where sugar gets used in the fermentation process)?  

Leaving aside the chemistry question of the differences and/or similarities between the fermentation of kombucha and the curing of sausage, on a Whole30 the key point is what is on the ingredients list. Kombucha does not contain any sweeteners on the ingredient list whereas many/most sausages do.

• 2 months later...

During my last week of Whole30, I finally went to the large grocery store I visit infrequently and found Aidells Apple and Chicken sausages. People had mentioned them so often, I wanted to try them.

Personally, I found them bland and disappointing. :-( 

I am planning on making my own pork sausage patties. I guess I just like my own personal spice/flavor profiles. :-)

However, I do like Trader Joe's Great Organic Uncured Beef Hot Dogs, which make an excellent delivery system for mustard!

which make an excellent delivery system for mustard!

Love it!

I can be an absolute fiend for mustard sometimes, and pickles too.  I googled "vinegar craving" and found it's something pregnant people get, so not sure what the guy version of that would be.

Love it!

I can be an absolute fiend for mustard sometimes, and pickles too.  I googled "vinegar craving" and found it's something pregnant people get, so not sure what the guy version of that would be.

Mustard. Pickles. Olives. Vinegar. Life is good! (Also excellent for when I encountered two days of a lost appetite. Something I DID not believe could ever happen to me. :-

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived