A funny thing happened on the way to the Whole30

befabdaily

So, I've been planning on starting a Whole30 next Saturday -- May 26. I was waiting until I got through some business travel that's going to have me locked up in conference rooms, suffering through catered food and staying at sites where there appear to be nothing but chain restaurants and not even any sidewalks or public transit to get me to more fruitful locales. But, I've been planning this for a few weeks, using things up, not buying replacements, and trying out Whole30 style meals. I'm putting coconut milk in my coffee, and there's no bread in the house anymore. Grain-based foods have started to taste wrong to me on the occasions I eat them -- just pasty and stodgy.

My sinuses (which are my achilles heel) already seem clearer and my belly is remarkably peaceful.

I know that I always come back from conferences feeling bloated and icky. There are always piles of crappy pastry everywhere you turn, and big stodgy overcooked meals. I really don't want to disrupt my trajectory like this. So I am just going to start today, acknowledging that I will probably not succeed, but making it a challenge to eat as "Whole30" as possible while I'm on travel. I figure I can at least make sure the macro-ingredients look as good as possible even when I can't control the micro-ingredients. I'll report back, and then start on the real thing next week.

Consider this week as your warm-up or pre-game show! You may discover that you can take a few food items with you to help you make it through the trip. You can also use this trip to learn how to plan better for the next one.You definitley don't have to eat the crappy pastries just because they are there! Many conference centers offer special request meals. Ask for some protein, a big side of veggies and a salad. Skip the breads and pastas and desserts and you'll be well on your way!

I certainly see much value in a warm-up! You'll be ready to rock your first Whole30!

Best wishes for warm-up wisdom! :)

Hey BeFab :) I did something similar before beginning my Whole 30 (on day 6 right now!). Like Jeanye said I thought of it as a warmup and didn't count any "slips" in that time. I did find it to be a great planning period and discovered that eating bread is so not worth it. I hope you are able to find awesome compliant food at your conference!

Good for you...hopefully you won't come back from this conference feeling bloated and icky even with the few changes you are able to implement! There is never a perfect time to dive in, I think you are making a great choice!

I hear you on the challenges when traveling! My boss travels a TON, and she stays on her eating routine by pre-cooking/preparing foods at home, freezing them, then storing them in a large container with ice packs which she puts in her luggage for the plane ride. At her hotel she throws them in the fridge and microwaves or defrosts them on the counter for her meals. Not sure if where you are staying will have a fridge but this could at least work for the first day? Also, it's amazing how well carrots, cucumbers, and apples travel! My carry-on is always full of them. Good luck!

Well, I'm back from the first leg of my jaunt.

On the plus side, I did not eat even one pointless conference coffee break pastry or unhealthy airport snack. The meals I could control (breakfasts and a couple of dinners) were pretty good although it was way easier to get fruits than veggies. On the minus side, I had to eat conference lunch box sandwiches because nothing else was provided and giving my talk in a state of raging hunger was not an option. And I had drinks and cake at the banquet.

The Hyatt I was in actually had a pretty good menu, with lots of gluten free although I'm sure not fully Whole-30 compliant menu options. I was pretty much stuck eating there (no car, ugly Texas suburb main drag, no grocery in walking distance, no fridge in the room). It got a little expensive though! But I did not come home feeling gross. I am enjoying the three meals I get to eat at home in between travels -- starting off with a big salad with beets, and homemade crab cakes roasting in the oven right now.

I'm kind of amazed you can bring that much food on the plane, Laura -- in my airport I've seen grandmas relieved of the homemade jelly they were taking home for Christmas and people forced to throw out anything that was even slightly wet. I'll have to see what I can bring through tomorrow, I'll have leftover crab cakes for sure!

Archived