"Contains less than 2% of the following...." compliant?

msmirnio

Folks,

What's the consensus on packaged foods that have the perfectly compliant ingredient list until *dun dun dun!!* you see "Contains less than 2% of the following...." and proceeds to list "cane sugar" "deroxide-foxide-ix" "soy lechitan" etc...

Ahem...many Applegate products.

I would say they are a no go.

Put it this way: If you were to look at all of the food you were to eat over 30 days, 90 meals. 2% would mean that 1.8 meals could be totally non-compliant.

Just me, but I say that is not doing a WHOLE30. That is a 98% partial 30. :D

I would say they are a no go.

Put it this way: If you were to look at all of the food you were to eat over 30 days, 90 meals. 2% would mean that 1.8 meals could be totally non-compliant.

Just me, but I say that is not doing a WHOLE30. That is a 98% partial 30. :D

If you think about it... If It's 2% whatever by weight and that product may be 80% water by weight...so it very well may be 10% of that ingredient discarding the water.... Labels can be very misleading

• 5 years later...

I got a can of

100% natural

HUNTS

Diced

Basil garlic and oregano

14.5 iz

I want to use half a can in the frying pan at two eggs on top of it and have myself a nice omelette

Ingredients diced tomatoes, tomato juice, less than 2% of: sugar, salt, citric acid, calcium chloride, spices, basil, oregano, dried parsley, natural flavored, garlic powder.

I got these cans because they are healthy and I will use them if possible I want to know if people out there think it's a real bad option

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, Akikaki said:

I got a can of 100% natural HUNTS Diced Basil garlic and oregano 14.5 oz

I want to use half a can in the frying pan at two eggs on top of it and have myself a nice omelette

Ingredients diced tomatoes, tomato juice, less than 2% of: sugar, salt, citric acid, calcium chloride, spices, basil, oregano, dried parsley, natural flavored, garlic powder.

I got these cans because they are healthy and I will use them if possible I want to know if people out there think it's a real bad option

Sorry, @Akikaki - these would not be compliant for Whole30. No sugar of any kind or quantity.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Akikaki said:

I did check the ingredients, which say date, plus one or two stuff,

But then the wrapper says 150 calories. 

:  (

is there a calorie limit?

There is no calorie limit on Whole30 however you need to 1) make sure that the ingredients are all compliant and 2) only be using any sort of bar as emergency rations. They should not be consumed daily - dried fruits and nut, especially in this bar form are extremely candy-like on Whole30 and are very easy to overdo.

Archived