Elechdub's First Whole30

Elechdub

I'm on day 11 so technically I'm only logging two-thirds of my Whole30. I overate macadamia nuts yesterday and I thought this might help keep me compliant. I come with an eat-5-mini-meals history and it's been a tough habit to break when the clock strikes 3 at the office.

Today's planned eats:

+ 3 eggs scrambled in a teaspoon of coconut oil and topped with fresh salsa, half avocado, 1 nuked sweet potato with a tsp of coconut oil, coffee with homemade almond milk

+ Red curry (made with tricolor peppers, half a sweet potato and and leftover turkey)

+ Red curry again, pumped up an arugula and half avocado salad if I feel super hungry

I made a big batch of red curry last night with 2 cans of coconut milk and an entire jar of curry paste. It works out to 10 meals. So, uh, I guess that's lunch and dinner for a while. One weird thing about this way of eating is that I'm not all that geeked about food anymore. I just want to throw something together that will last a few days and I don't mind eating it over and over and over. It makes life so much easier.

I'm wondering if I'm eating too many sweet potatoes. The ones I have for breakfast are just a wee bit bigger than my fist. The ones for lunch and dinner were bigger so I cut them in half. I'll give it a few days and find out...or just wait for some kindly Whole30 veteran to call me out.

• Moderators

If you very physically active, you may need lots of sweet potatoes. If you are less active, you need to be careful that sweet potatoes are not crowding other veggies off your plate. My rule is, when in doubt, eat more green veggies.

My concern is that you may not be eating enough overall. The trick to giving up snacks is to eat big, substantial meals that keep you satisfied for hours.

Thanks Tom! I'll go easy on the sweet potatoes for now as I've been taking a couple of weeks off from the gym. I can always add them back in next week when I get back to regularly working out. As forgot eating enough, maybe ill try bulking my meals with a bunch of greens. I feel like I'm eating sooooo much at each meal. I feel stuffed by the time I finish lunch, for example. Couldn't eat another bite. Then I'm hungry again two hours later. Maybe my stomach just needs time to adjust to eating bigger meals instead of mini meals?

• Moderators

I kept eating 4-5 meals per day for about 1.5 years, but I was not trying to change. However, when you make a point of eating substantial meals with plenty of fat, you can get to 3 meals per day comfortably. I find it easy to go 5-6 hours between meals nowadays.

I had to come back to jot down some thoughts and post a pic of my dinner. I put my iPhone there for scale. I'm having red curry with bell peppers, half a sweet potato and a palm-sized portion of leftover turkey. And an enormous plate of arugula massaged with half an avocado and vinegar. Yeah. Not gonna feel snacky after this one.

Breakfast went off without a hitch. I thought I'd bulk up my lunch with some cashews and I had to keep resisting the urge to reach into the tub for more. And I made a huge mistake by somehow convincing myself that plantain chips were Whole30 compliant. There are only 3 ingredients, all just fine, but there was something about the convenience and the crunchiness that definitely had me reach into the bag more times than I planned. Not good. It felt too...naughty? I don't know what the word is but it didn't feel right. I have the rest of the bag in my desk. I'll toss it tomorrow. I'm sure they're a perfectly healthy option for a lot of folks, but I know I have a problem with crunchy cracker-like foods and nuts. Might be best to not keep them around.

I picked up the keys to the new gym that's opening up a block away from my house. I've taken about a two week break from my home workouts and I'm itching to get back to it. I dunno if this is the tiger's blood feeling I keep reading about but I feel like a caged animal about to let loose.

One thing I worried about when I started this Whole30 thing was that I'd feel isolated. We moved to this area pretty recently and I haven't made any friends. My husband isn't on board and I'm doing this alone. I didn't want things to feel even worse because I'm limited how much we go out to eat together. Today a coworker mentioned wanting to do yoga on Thursdays and I jumped in and told her I'd love to join her. And the next thing you know, there's an email to all the girls in the office about a yoga class starting next week.

It's a small thing, but it's huge for me. I'm pretty shy and it's hard for me to get out there and meet people. I know in my heart -- KNOW -- that I wouldn't have spoken up like that if it wasn't for my Whole30. I feel more confident. More sure of myself. I'm not starting out this challenge super overweight. I feel my best when I'm about 10lbs lighter than I am right now. But I was the chubby girl my whole life. The fattest in the family. Chunky. And sometimes I forget that that's not who I am anymore. It's so corny but this challenge is helping me get past those issues and love myself. Even with the extra 10lbs.

post-10041-0-87198000-1354232642_thumb.j

Archived