Kombucha Confusion

I've never had Kombucha, but would like to try it out.

What are some good store bought brands that I can try out?

My favorite is GT's in all their varieties. Lavender is good...strawberry is good...gingerade is good. GTs adds a little juice to the raw kombucha (i think 10%) but otherwise i don't think adds other ingredients. Be careful with other brands as many add sugar and other ingredients and some of them are not raw, they're pasteurized which defeats the point of the probiotics.

We have lots of local brands at whole foods here in San Francisco but I love GT's so much that at $3 a bottle I don't really get adventurous with new brands.

Johnny M --

Oh! No scoby in the second ferment. Now I understand; that's an important tip.

Yes, please do keep me posted on your experiments and I'll be curious about your results with white and green tea. I hear from the purists you only ought to use black tea, but it seems lots of people use green and white. Pu-erh might be nice to experiment with too - Rainbow has "Camel's Breath" in bulk. How can you not love a tea named "Camel's Breath"?

Most of my bottles have not had much fizz so I left a recent bottle for 4 days on second ferment. I opened it and it exploded everywhere. YES! FIZZ! Except all the fizz fizzed out and now it's flat. Doh! My bottle that I added raisins too is not as fizzy as I want but it's delicious. I recommend trying it.

Enjoying my first bottle right now! Went with "Mystic Mango"...it is yummy, but I think may have more sugar than would be allowed during W30... 10 g per serving.

Trying not to drink too fast, or often so I don't end up with the um... issues you guys were talking about :):P

• 2 weeks later...

Bearing in mind the comments about being careful starting out with this, can anyone suggest what a "safe" starting amount might be? I was planning to mix with water in the first instance (not yet clear whether you're meant to have it this way or whether the water is optional!) but I don't want to over-do it.

What do you reckon? Quarter of a litre, half? Not nearly as much?

When I first started drinking kombucha, I went with GT's Gingerade. I would drink 1/3 of the bottle a day. Once I felt like I was ok with that amount, I spaced out the entire bottle throughout the day.

Now, I am back to 1/3 a day cause they are so expensive. I really need to start making my own.

Archived