Potassium Metabisulfite?

AmyS

OK I just went to Wikipedia and got this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_metabisulfite

I don't understand science-y stuff much, but when I read down to where this is an additive for wine I went DOH! Sulfites! I can't have those. Instant headache that lasts at least 48 hours.

Back to Target with that can!

(Still interested if that's just me or if it's a no-go for anybody's Whole30)

It is important to eliminate anything with added sulphites. Good coconut milk comes with guar gum and pretty much nothing else.

Got it. I knew, once I made the connection with the word sulphite, that it was out for me.

OK! Three stores later I finally found some coconut milk that just had guar gum! Sheesh!

So irritating but now you know where to find it. :)

Word.

I wanted to buy out the store where I found the stuff. Which was also the only store where they had spaghetti squash!! Lordy. This whole expanding-my-palate thing is bizarre.

You know the ironic thing about all of this? I have a coconut tree right outside my house!!!!!!!!!! There are probably about ten coconuts up there waiting for the coconut guy to come, shimmy up the tree, and cut down. Oy!

Ugh, I want to cry!! I used a can of coconut milk my husband picked up for me with potassium metabisulfite. Now I need to reset my 30 days... And get better at reading/understanding labels. What a crappy way to "cheat!" :(

i never even thought to check.... thanks for this post! mine has PM in it too... ACK!

well i ordered a huge bag of organic coconut flakes (unsweetened and etc... obviously) and will just be making my own. The better coconut milk is a bit out of my price range.

If you're near a Trader Joe's, they have light coconut milk that's free of everything, even guar gum (I can taste it, so I avoid it if possible). You might try going to your local asian grocery too, if you have one. I had been getting Aroy-D brand, which is excellent tasting and very thick, but it seems to be out of stock everywhere right now. I found one other brand with no additives but it's not as good.

Yep, I'd love to visit a Trader Joe's but I reckon I'm over way over 3000 miles away so, like you, I'll make do with what I can get locally or delivered. Luckily there's quite a selection of good food once you look for it.

Yes, now that I'm paying more attention, I can find where to get actual, real, awesome food! It's just not where I necessarily expected to look. (Side note: I remember about three weeks into my second Whole30 I went to the grocery store FOR MORE VEGETABLES AGAIN!!! and had to go down one of the regular aisles for something. I kept saying to myself, "90% of what they're selling here isn't even real food!!!!" And I've been shopping at that grocery store for fifteen years!! And I just figured it out! So weird.)

@ Calybe

I found this great priced organic coconut shred on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FK0A26/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

and then I'm planning to use this recipe: http://voices.yahoo.com/make-own-coconut-milk-pennies-3222341.html?cat=22 (obviously leave out the optional soy based creamer or half and half) and following the bottom note about soaking the coconut for 5-10 min in hot (not boiling) water.

Thank you so much!! I actually scored a couple free coconuts at the farmer's market yesterday and thought about trying to use those to make coconut milk. After my husband almost took his hand off in the process of cracking them, I decided you're MUCH smarter for using shredded. Haha!

Archived