Sleeping in darkness

JinTx

I understand that sleeping in total darkness is ideal as is going to bed around the same time every night.

The problem is that we have a bright nightlite in our room. I tried turning it off, but i have a little one that sneaks in my bed nearly 5 nights a week. If its totally dark he stands at the door crying, which wakes me. If i have the nightlite on he'll come right in my bed and i dont wake. I dont really mind him coming in my bed bc its usually around 4 or 4:30 and i wake at 5. When he cries, i get up, get him, look at the clock and then struggle to go back to sleep. I tried turning the clock around so i cant see it, but still when i wake i know it's time to wake soon and need to fall back asleep but cant.

I got a sleep mask and intend to turn the nightlite back on. Will this have the same effect as total darkness? I am assuming so but wanted to hear thoughts.

• Moderators

Our bodies are actually sensitive to light, so any light that reaches our skin has an effect. I use a sleep mask frequently because I sometimes go to bed before my wife comes home from work. Not having light in my eyes helps, but a dark room is even better. My bedroom is not as dark as I would like, but I did begin sleeping better when I did a few things to reduce light sources in and into the room.

I live in an urban area with a lot of stray light at night, and I use a sleep mask. It seems to work fine. It's definitely different to sleep with a sleep mask on in a basically dark room that just gets a few stray photons from streetlights and such, and to try to sleep with one on in a room that's fully lit.

Archived