Please tell me it gets easier

vivadeath

So, I finished my first Whole30 Nov. 2. It was during a particularly rough patch at work, and I'm really proud that I stuck to it through that. I definitely would've been indulging/emotionally eating most nights. But, since I couldn't do that, I was just miserable. So unhappy, just glum and pissy all the time. My poor husband begged me to eat some sugar to cheer up.

This never really went away, although it got slightly better toward the end. For the last month I've been maybe 75% compliant. I'd like to start again for the month of December. Now that I know I can resist the cravings, I'm not worried about that. I just don't want to be sad and depressed for another month, especially during the holidays.

Anyone have similar experiences? Does it get easier?

I definitely understand. I was like that with my first whole 30. It has gotten easier each time I do one. I realized that I had a problem with sugar about 4 or 5 years ago. I never thought I'd beat the cravings. It took years or trying to finally get to where I am now. I feel like I can take or leave sweets. It doesn't bother me to bake cookies for someone else and not eat them. I used to think I'd rather die than give up putting sugar in my tea.

One thing that helped me was realizing that it was my inner child that was upset by not getting what it wanted. Now I distance myself from that child and tell myself that I'm an adult and do not get whatever I want. I can now eat a small piece of dark chocolate and savor it without feeling like I need more.

Wendyland - sounds like you're exactly where I'm trying to be! I've developed a taste for dark chocolate (I used to hate the stuff) but it's still really hard for me to stop at one piece. And holiday baking is super-tough!

I have cut out adding sugar/honey to my coffee and all my added sugar. Another thing I noticed is that I've always eaten something sweet after dinner, just as habit. I mean ALWAYS, and immediately after dinner. So now I take a little time, 15 minutes or so after dinner, to just wait it out and see if I really want that sweet thing or am I just doing what I've always done? I was surprised to find how often I could skip it.

I hate that if there is sweet stuff at work Or free samples i just have to have it! Or I used to at least... Once I worked out a strategy for telling my "child" that not having it today didn't mean I couldn't have it tomorrow.. But I think my sugar dragon ate that child. I really want to be able to not have this stuff because i accept that it's not good for me... And my care or myself is stronger than any short term gratification.... Here's hoping!

Archived