Exercise ideas for stay at home mom

jennycash

Hello!

Looking for some workout ideas that would be quick but effective (for weight loss and overall fitness). I have a little one at home and a gym membership with childcare is not an option. we take walks a few times a week but I need something more challenging.

Any ideas? I a not opposed to getting up early (ugh), but am very cautious about trading my sleep for exercise. I need some things I can do while at home with my little boy.

Thanks!

I got a great book called "You are your own gym" -- it's all exercises using your own bodyweight and simple items to exercise! The guy that wrote it used to train military special forces. Not that I'm anywhere near that fit, but I figured he knows how to get someone in shape. LOL

Push-ups, sit-ups, yoga stretches, squats, lunges. Just a few things you can do anywhere. You can pick up resistance bands for cheap. There are lots of options with those and they don't take up a lot of space. I used to lunge while pushing a stroller. It looks a little funny, but who cares. Most things you can do throughout the day so it shouldn't interfere with your sleep.

You can do various Tabata exercises. A tabata is a 4 minute workout comprised of 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, repeated 8 times. The goal is to push for the work period as hard as you can. It should be a challenging "sprint". Rest during the breaks and then get right back to it for the next work round! You can do tabata situps, pushups, squats, burpees, or any combination of them. These are harder than they sound. Another good one is 5-10 rounds of 10 situps, 10 pushups, 10 squats, as fast as possible. Time yourself and use that time as a benchmark for the next workout. These are things I try to do in hotel rooms when traveling for work. Above all I'd try to find things that let you work against bodyweight or get some dumbbells and kettlebells too. Weight bearing exercise is great for keeping bones strong and keeping some muscle on your frame is great for everyone.

Archived