Oh No!

DocIKY

I'm working on reintroduction and found myself dismayed over the weekend!

A week into this I reintroduced some dairy with no problem. I went on compliant, thinking I wouldn't worry about gluten products as there aren't any that are a regular part of my cooking/eating habits anyway. Then my old friend pizza walked into my life again. Oh, how I have loved pizza in so so many ways over the years. Saturday I woke up thinking about pizza and how I couldn't wait to eat some pizza!! I took my girls to my favorite pizza place for lunch. I ordered my favorite veggie pizza and then....

It didn't taste nearly as lose-my-mind-in-it delicious as it had before! I ate one piece and was done. Then, to make matters worse, it sat in my stomach like a lead weight for the afternoon. I wasn't nauseous but I was not happy & energetic either!

I find that now I'm grieving my old friend pizza. I haven't had any other gluten products since. I'm guessing since I had no response to cheese before and didn't eat any new veggies that it was the crust that did it. I'm wondering if my thought processes in this are rational (as they are often not with food). Do I just abandon pizza as something that won't work for me? Do I look for a gluten free pizza crust recipe? For the same reasons that whole30 forbids "paleofied" desserts, I don't want to look for ways to pretty up a problem so I can justify it not being a problem. But since Saturday, I have realized I look at giving up pizza as worse than giving up brownies! And here I always thought by biggest problem was that sugar dragon!

Clearly, barely post whole30 I'm still in that place of over analyzing everything! Your clarity and wisdom in my moments of irrationality are greatly appreciated! :D

I'm not sure I'd abandon pizza altogether if that is something you enjoyed in the past, but this particular type of pizza doesn't sound like it was worth it from what you wrote. Maybe if you have the opportunity to have pizza some other time and it looks really delicious and you decide it's worth the risk to your health, then go for it. It sounds to me that it was probably the crust that made you feel less-than-stellar. As time goes on, you may feel less like you're losing out on something you always loved - especially given the great way you feel right now. I think there is a grieving process that we have to go through when we determine that some of the foods we loved don't make us feel too hot, but it's something you have to figure out for yourself as you are faced with those off-roading decisions. I would look at the off-roading chart in the resources section to help you when the time comes, but in the meantime, don't sweat the "what am I going to do when . . . "s. Remember, you have to ride your own bike, and you'll figure out in time what will work best - whether its saying yes to the pizza or deciding it's just not worth it.

I've had this same experience. Some old foods that used to give me so much pleasure in the context of my otherwise unhealthy diet and palate no longer live up to their hype in the taste department and they make me feel ill. Hold on to that negative association. It's your healthy body telling you that your old treats weren't good for you then and aren't appreciated now.

There are plenty of Paleo options that don't try to recreate your old comfort foods. Call them the new comfort foods. Different, healthier, and associated with all kinds of good things in your life.

Honestly, I don't think it is at all irrational to grieve the loss of your beloved pizza. In fact, I recommend you write a "Dear John" letter to it. Seriously. Recall all the times you've eaten it--the occaisions, the people you were with, what you were doing. It sounds like it was something special for you--a treat--and that's probably what you're mourning--the idea of it, what it represents--because you are not missing a having a leaden lump in your stomach.

So often food is not food. It is what it represents to us, it is what it means to us. Let the association of the meaning of the food and the actual, physical thing, the pizza dissassociate from one another: separarate them out. Then you can start to figure out how to create and/or provide for yourself what it meant, what it stood for without having to use the physical pizza itself. Unless, of course, you decide there is no other way to satisfy what it is you need from it except by having it--but I don't think that'll be your decision or you wouldn't hve posted the way you did.

Does that make sense?

Pizza really does just sit like a brick in the belly, doesn't it? A couple of times between 30s I have given in and chowed down on a pizza, and I always feel horrible for two days afterwards.

I'm on a 26-day compliance streak right now, so I can't experiment, but I've seen a couple of recipes for almond crusts that look like they might work. A non-gluten crust, a much lighter coating of cheese...maybe it might work.

I also grieved when I gave up outside pizza for good. And a year ago tried an outside gluten free one and was really sick so they are gone for good. But now I really enjoy a homemade one on a corn tortilla, tomato base and roast veggies on top, pumpkin especially is great to keep it moist. And no swollen stomach, itchy skin, congestion and wind afterwards either.

• 1 month later...

I'm actually scared of this happening. There are very few "comfort foods" for me, but pizza is definitely one of them. However, if you can tolerate the dairy, try putting some pizza sauce, cheese, and spices on top of eggplant rounds - I really enjoy this for lunch.

That was great Robin. Our stories are so similar! It's still funny to me that I thought sugar would be my biggest battle (hey I did grieve cupcakes too) and then it turns out that gluten is the devil! I still find moments of trying to bargain or even deny. Unfortunately my denial and one time indulgence led to a break out (almost immediately) on my chest so bad it looked like the measles. It's hard to deny that kind of evidence!

Oh well, I'm a work in progress on these phases too. But I'm working on acceptance each day. Like this morning in staff meeting as I delightedly noshed on my brisket with a side of sweet potato mash, easily ignoring the stares of the donut zombies! ;)

Archived