Pre / post workout meals

Elechdub

I'm wondering about the pre and post workout meals and whether I need to add those into my diet. Here's tonight's workout:

- approx 30 minutes of weight lifting (legs and glutes), mostly freeweights

- 30 minutes of running (starting the couch to 5k, so it involves a lot of walking)

This doesn't seem high intensity so I'm not sure if I should just skip the pre and post meals or not. Help?

ETA: my goal is to lose body fat so I'm not looking to gain weight here.

Well, it really depends on how much you eat during your regular meals...and how your body feels. I personally don't eat a pre or post work out meal...but my lunch time is usually an hour after working out. I eat plenty at my meals and feel great...and I'm losing weight. Just pay attention to how you feel and make sure you eat enough during each meal. :)

• Moderators

I almost did not take a can of sardines to the gym with me today because I planned to exercise just 30 minutes. I actually worked 35 or 40 minutes, but I don't think the extra time was important. I was starved at the end of my workout. I did backsquats, deadlifts, pullups, kettlebell swings and snatches, pushups, and situps. I am so glad I had a post-workout meal. Driving home hungry would have messed up my recovery.

Thanks for responding! My gym time ends up being about 6 hours after I eat lunch and I have dinner right after. I dunno if I can eat any more than that because of how late it would be -- I go to bed at 9:30. I ate a handful of almonds pre workout because I did get super hungry. It didn't hold me over well. I was weak and tired the whole time. I'm hoping it'll be better tomorrow but wonder if I should eat something more before heading to the gym.

I mainly do early morning workouts. Now that I am not constantly snacking at night, I find it helpful to have something before my workout like some nuts or a boiled egg, sometimes a glass of tomato juice as well. My breakfast after is sometimes a bit smaller so I am often eating the same but splitting it. I have NEVER ever eaten before an early workout prior to whole30, even when pregnant. But I do now because I think I need it and I am losing weight anyway and this ensures a good workout and an optimal recovery!

I also have an afternoon snack if I am going for a run before dinner.

Finally found some baby food vegetable sachets I can have (no onion) which I will take to work as an emergency Pre WO snack with a few nuts!

Archived