Alternatives to Advil?

HazelSkye

I'm on day 25 of my Whole30 and just now getting my period, and some pain. I usually have pretty awful cramps for the first couple of days. Ibuprofen is my go-to. Tylenol doesn't work. Acetaminophen doesn't work. Advil is my bff. 

But, I know Advil is off-limits if you can help it. Any suggestions for other pain relief? I'd sit in a hot bath all day if I could, but alas my office won't agree to bring-your-tub-to-work-day. 

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, HazelSkye said:

I'm on day 25 of my Whole30 and just now getting my period, and some pain. I usually have pretty awful cramps for the first couple of days. Ibuprofen is my go-to. Tylenol doesn't work. Acetaminophen doesn't work. Advil is my bff. 

But, I know Advil is off-limits if you can help it. Any suggestions for other pain relief? I'd sit in a hot bath all day if I could, but alas my office won't agree to bring-your-tub-to-work-day. 

Take the Advil... we don't want you being in excruciating pain

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Take the Advil... we don't want you being in excruciating pain

I know that. But are there foods* that have anti inflammatory properties? It may help just to eat some natural remedies if there are recommendations, but I don't know any. :( 

• Moderators

I think there are herbal teas that are supposed to help but I'm not sure if they're compliant or not. My go to for cramps was always a heating pad. If you don't have a plug handy or prefer something more discreet, you can buy either disposable or reheatable heat packs. 

As far as food, warm things like soup or hot tea may help, just by virtue of being comforting, but I don't know of any food that provides quick relief the way medicine does. Many people have reported that after eating close to whole30 over time, their cramping and other symptoms have lessened, but that doesn't really help right this minute.

• Administrators

You can also try some of the essential oils. There is a store in my local mall that used to sell a feminine cycles roll-on and it worked AMAZINGLY. I know it had clary sage and geranium and I just did a quick google and found quite a few "diy" recipes for the same sort of thing. 

I always used to think EO was woo-woo but honestly, that roll-on worked amazingly. I used to just pop the silly roller ball out, pour a bit into my hand and then rub it into my abdomen while laying on the bed.  

18 hours ago, HazelSkye said:

I know that. But are there foods* that have anti inflammatory properties? It may help just to eat some natural remedies if there are recommendations, but I don't know any. :( 

Raspberry leaf tea helps with cramps! I generally have really bad cramps for a few days but if I drink a cup of this a day for like 5 days leading up to my period they're not as bad! Might not be helpful this time around, but for the future!!

• Administrators

Oh, dang, I forgot about the tea! David's Tea sells "Mighty Aphrodite" which is a raspberry leaf blend. I've run out so it completely slipped my mind. I was doing a cup a day for the week before and two cups a day during and the difference was amazing!

• 2 weeks later...

we use essential oils for pain, I have hardly taken OTC meds in the past 2 years because I dont need them even with a chronic illness. That said....take the advil if its what you need to do to get through this while researching healthier alternatives at the same time and part of the reason I am doing whole 30 is because my foot and leg pain is bad lately and I think it might be diet related as inflammatory foods (carbs, sweets, starches) seem to mess with my adrenals and when my adrenals not functioning at 100% my illness flares up. 

Foods high in antioxidents would help with inflamation as well 

Archived