Digestion and Tomatoes

I can't seem to figure out my reaction to tomatoes. In my previous whole30, after about 3 weeks, every time I ate them I had really bad acid reflux and obvious digestion issues. So I stopped eating them. Then when I went off the whole 30 for the past month or 2, I was eating them much more and not really feeling the extreme effects (but I was also eating sugar, gluten, etc. and feeling inflammation and bloating from that so it could have all been a combined issue). Now in my current whole 30, I've been testing it again, and sometimes its really bad reactions, and other times I have none at all. If anyone can shed light on this I would much appreciate it. I really dont want to stop eating them so I keep finding reasons to "test it out", but I can't seem to come to a conclusion. I thought maybe the nightshades was an issue, but I'm fine with peppers and eggplant. I just don't get why sometimes its such bad gut issues and other times not. 

• Moderators

Sometimes we want to pin these types of things on a 'named' food sensitivity like 'nightshades' or similar but it's possible your body just doesn't like tomatoes... or can handle them in small doses but gets really crabby when too many go in... it's why food issues are generally quite difficult because each person is different... 

Personally I cannot eat raw tomatoes or a lot of tomato based food because it does terrible things to the inside of my mouth... 

Thanks. Yeah I think I’m just starting to read too much into some of my digestion feelings some days. It’s hard not to think every little thing is a symptom or reaction to something. But it helped seeing Melissa’s comments about this. Like maybe you aren’t reacting to a food. Maybe you just actually have a cold, or something unrelated to the whole30. It’s very true sometimes. 

Archived