I am on day 5 of my first run with whole30 and need some help. I am an extremely picky eater. I dont like any fruits or vegetables, only like eggs scrambled or omelette style, and only eat select meats. My issues with fruits and vegetables is that I'm a texture eater along with taste. Like I like the taste of watermelon, but just gag when I try to swallow it. The issue is with my lack of good foods in my diet, on whole30 I'm eating very little it seems. I don't want to starve myself (because I know it won't help) because I cut out my usual junk. I'm needing more food in my diet, but I'm already getting tired of plain scrambled eggs for breakfast and chicken for lunch and dinner. What should I do? I don't want to quit whole30, but not finding these to eat.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Kat2536 said:

I am on day 5 of my first run with whole30 and need some help. I am an extremely picky eater. I dont like any fruits or vegetables, only like eggs scrambled or omelette style, and only eat select meats. My issues with fruits and vegetables is that I'm a texture eater along with taste. Like I like the taste of watermelon, but just gag when I try to swallow it. The issue is with my lack of good foods in my diet, on whole30 I'm eating very little it seems. I don't want to starve myself (because I know it won't help) because I cut out my usual junk. I'm needing more food in my diet, but I'm already getting tired of plain scrambled eggs for breakfast and chicken for lunch and dinner. What should I do? I don't want to quit whole30, but not finding these to eat.

Wow, that sounds very difficult.  It's pretty hard for us to tell you what to eat because we have no idea of what your particular taste and texture issues are... I would try roasting, steaming, grating, sauteing, mashing veggies until you find some way that you like them... as far as select meats, you don't mention what those are, so again, hard to say but try ground, roasted, crock pot, instant pot etc.... 

I have different pickiness issues but maybe the same challenges. I have done a whole30 before without too many problems but this time am doing the autoimmune protocol. My issue is that I don't like meat or fish. There is no choice but to eat them on this diet, but I have to experiment hard to find ways to chew and swallow without gagging. It is not at all fun to hate what you eat, but I am looking at this as a time limited experiment with several possible outcomes. I might learn to like those foods! I might find specific ways of preparing them That I can tolerate. I might find that eggs and nuts are not problematic for me when I reintroduce them and can cut way back on foods I don't like. But I am looking at variety as part of the "treatment" and I won't know if this helps unless I try it for real.

Since my issues are flavor as much as texture, the solutions might be different, but blending things in helps. Smoothies, soups should hide a lot of textures. When I am eating something I really hate I also will allow myself to watch tv or read while I eat and have a tasty drink on hand to wash any leftovers out of my mouth. I know that's not great, but might be the lesser of two evils for me right now.

anyway, commiseration and good luck!

Archived