Jo is Logging On

Jo Ferris

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sarah, this is my first one :)

but I've done other similar diets... 17 day diet, the PCOS diet and a couple others that are paleo based... but all of those are much less rigid and their literature was about food and weight, not about the need to push through these 30 days without any cheats to retrain your mind and body. they were based like diets, rather than lifestyle and health. They had meal plans and menus and they did work but they were much too outlined?? I guess? cause then when the meal plan ran out i just slowly went back to my old patterns.

anyhooo

Day 26 morning.

Feeling pretty haggard today... my eyes are bloodshot and I have a headache. Lack of water yesterday? coffee two days in a row? Driving for 5 hours? Big Box stores? too long without food? who knows???

I'm going to try get all my water in before 7pm tonight. I notice I don't drink a lot of water until aft/ evening ... and then I'm so thirsty at night I'm constantly sipping water when I wake up.

It would be nice to not have to get up to go pee too...

I just realized, I forgot to have lunch today. weird.

Anyway,

Day26 Evening:

M1: two of these: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/7486819479/prosciutto-wrapped-mini-frittata-muffins except my veg was celery, onion and yellow pepper. BTW... i did not like these, they are finicky to make and the taste just wasn't there for me. i won't be making these again. I will eat the ones I made cause I hate to waste food but... yeah. And a coconut milk Latte

M2: another coconut milk Latte... and I forgot to eat :( I totally meant to but I don't know what happened.

[major worship the porcelain toilet god IBS style] <<< probably thanks to my HUGE over indulgence of coffee and coconut milk lattes... so dumb.

M3: one more of the mini frittatas

M4: baked chicken breast, steamed mixed veg and some greens with balsamic and EVOO on it. I'm not super hungry so I'm going to forgo the sweet potato today.

thanks sweets :)

feeling alright, just a bit blech over all... I know it will pass soon (pun intended)

alls I need is a good sleep now.

in a way it was a good time to have a flash back to what it was like SO often before this diet, I would have this feeling almost every week at least once... if not several times.

It didn't take me long to forget about that! anyway, i never want to go back to that feeling regularly so it's given me a good push (so many poo puns) to finish this out right and to start up strict in January again .

day 26 ...yes still

stayed up looking for mini speakers and/or fm transmitters for my smartphone. lesson learned, everything sucks! there is not one good product out there that's reliable!

anyway, was hungry so I ate seaweed and one of those weird procuitto egg muffin things.

hey jo! I was just reading your posts above and I notice you mention coconut milk giving you IBS symptoms.... I swear it is doing this to me as well... im def. alot more regular than before (before the whole30 when i began drinkin coconut milk) and gassy (sorry for tmi) do you think i should cut it out?? i really like it in my coffee and curries.... does it have any bad effects on the intestines ect like gluten does??

and also yes, thats what i like about the whole30 aswell, that it is not about losing weight (thanks for pointing that out to me) ! i am only on my 6th day and i already feel like my relationship with food is changing.

Day 27 morning:

Oh my word! I have my Period! the least trouble I've had in AGES!

#1 my period NEVER comes on time...

#2 I cramp and spot for weeks sometimes before I get the full on period.

#3 I have PMS the WHOLE time until I get the proper bleeding (sorry guys)

this time, I think back a few days I mentioned how grouchy I was. I was ready to kill the dog... but that only lasted for two days and now I've got my period, no cramps, no spotting except a bit yesterday! AND on time! amazing. can 26 days really change your hormones that fast?

How did I feel when I first woke? a bit tired, but raring to go...

face is still sore :(

Sarah: regarding coconut milk.

Coconut milk is a tricky thing... first of all read the label on your can... if it has Potassium Metabisulphite in it, give it a miss. (I forgot about that yesterday) The other thing I've found with coconut oil and milk is too much all of a sudden can really push your body to react. It's something our bodies are not used to and it does have metabolic changing properties. Most of the time it's suggested that we work UP to a larger intake with these things so our bodies can slowly get used to it. My intake yesterday had all of the above issues... it had the Pot. Met. in it and I drank a LOT of it, with coffee too! usually I don't have that when I use it in stir fry or otherwise in moderation. Also when I make my own I don't get that as badly.

wow, thats awesome the the whole30 seems to have regulated your cycle a bit more and to have almost 0 pms symtoms is really good as well!!! celebration time!!! :) Like you, I think it's great when I get my cycle, then I don't feel so bad about raging (no, not really :P) the few days before!

thanks for the info on coconut milk... the ingredients on mine says coconut milk (52%), water, stabilizer: (466).... what is stabilizer 466 hmmmm? it says preservative free and no artificial colours ... that has to be good? all the same i will take your advice and keep my coconut milk intake to a minimum!! and cut down on coffee also!! ....

wait i found out 466= Carboxymethyl cellulose: it says Carboxymethyl cellulose is very soluble, and can be fermented in the large intestine. Large concentrations can cause intestinal problems, such as bloating, constipation and diarrhoea. It also lowers slightly the blood cholesterol level..... maybe this is the problem not so much the coconut milk itself? does your coconut mil have this one in it?

uuuuh now im scared i was reading about all the different additives and some of them were in the other coconut cream i had and they say avoid: cancer causing!!!! whhhhhhat! it might be different in canada? do they have to list the actual ingredient over there? this is what i was looking at.. http://www.mbm.net.au/health/400-495.htm ....

yes they have to list the actual ingredient... our canned coconut milk usually just has guar gum or the potassium metabisulfate.

Unless you are buying the coconut milk in the box packaging like for pouring on cereal and stuff... that stuff has scads of crap added! stay away! just yeah... best not to get anything that has ingredients you don't know what it is. I make my own wine and beer so I know and actually have Potassium metabisulfate here in the house and we use it to sterilize everything. so I was aware of what that was ... it didn't occur to me that it was a "sulfite" duh.

I find with most things I just have to make it myself for it to have truly no additives.

don't worry, you're not going to suddenly get cancer cause you had some... just ditch it and find something better :)

day 27 evening:

M1: a couple of weird egg muffin thingies

M2: a couple more weird muffin thingies and an egg wrap with procuitto and olives and lettuce (see, i won't let it go to waste even if I don't like it)

M3: a cold cooked chicken breast lettuce and olives.

I'm just too tired and lazy today.

I'm sure it's partially because I have my period but also cause of my weird gut yesterday, and then I couldn't sleep until well after 11 last night.

into bed early tonight.

Morning Day 28:

or should I call this morning #1

slept like a log, I feel HORRIBLE this morning.

my period is heavy really quickly... so I'm wondering if I need some iron supplement or something?

my head hurts... I just feel yucky.

I'm supposed to be feeling great these days and i just don't so often.

I love that I have no brain fog but yeah... once January hits i'm going to do W30-60-90 until I feel good!

damn, its no good that your feeling horrible today! but your have your cycle so that's an excuse to feel yucky I think!! i bet in a few days you will be feeling better again :) and no brain fog is a bonus too!! i hope your iron is not too low aswell!!! I know that can make you tired, I had to get an iron infusion earlier this year because my levels were so low (due to un diagnosed celiac disease) I felt better within about 5-6 weeks after the infusion though.

alright, the meal breakdown of Day 28.

honestly, i couldn't tell you... it's terrible I know, but I've been grazing today... i'm never hungry to sit down and eat a proper sized meal...

so I have the weird muffins, soup, chicken breast, egg wrap, and just now some crispy fried sweet potato hash...

I have no idea how much of what I ate but I'm allowing myself a little freedom today with being on the rag. it was all technically compliant, but i didn't follow the ideal plan of eating 3 larger meals etc.

thanks sarah :)

Day 30!!!!!!

I will do another whole 30 starting in Jan. but in the meantime I'm not planning to go too far off paleo. My husband's folks are coming for five days over Christmas and I'm meeting his sister's fiance. They've bragged to him about my "famous" dishes so I will make those. I plan to make lots of salads and side that are Paleo though in case anything doesn't make me feel good.

my famous dishes are very very rich with lots of dairy including zuppa toscana and pizza.

Also I don't want to have to talk about my eating choices so... I'll make them the food and then whatever... you know? Unless they notice and want to know what "diet" I'm on, i'm not going to evangelize about it.

Day 30 evening

M1: Black Coffee and omelet

M2: Black Coffee and coconut shrimp and an avocado

I have not had another meal yet today, I'm thinking IF I get hungry I will have salad with tuna or salmon and a balsamic vinegrette.

Just not very hungry these days.

You're just up with the play and do your research and i can understand why!! I think that people living with a condition (pcos/diabetes etc) kinda have to do it for their health or just end up feeling crappy. Where as others can get away with a bit more or don't notice the bad effects of unhealthy foods as much as us, that's why they don't seem to quite understand!

Archived