Eating meal ingredients separately rather than as part of a recipe

Ktc

Hi there!

I do hope my question makes sense, I've only just started reading It Starts With Food so if my question is answered in there just say so!

I've just recently found out about Whole 30 and it sounds like it's exactly what I need to do. I've been looking around this site and others for recipes when I realised that one of my biggest issues is likely to be the recipe side of things, because of the way I prefer to eat.

A lot of recipes I'm finding are for homemade burgers, sausages, frittatas, faux-cereals, that kind of thing. My preference is generally to eat food types separately - so my ideal Whole 30 compliant meal would be something like a palm's worth of poached chicken with compliant hot sauce, some asparagus, green beans & carrots sprinkled with salt, and a handful of olives. Or for breakfast, poached eggs with a sweet potato and a bunch of spinach, followed by an avocado. So everything is just cooked by itself, rather than combined and made into something, if that makes sense?

I've read in a few forum answers that you should, for example, only eat fruit 'as part as a meal' and not on its own. Is the way I'm proposing to eat a problem, then, or is it ok since it's being eaten at the same time as the other food types? I can't think of a logical reason why it would be a problem to eat food in the way I like to, but then I don't know much about food yet!

18 hours ago, Ktc said:

Hi there!

I do hope my question makes sense, I've only just started reading It Starts With Food so if my question is answered in there just say so!

I've just recently found out about Whole 30 and it sounds like it's exactly what I need to do. I've been looking around this site and others for recipes when I realised that one of my biggest issues is likely to be the recipe side of things, because of the way I prefer to eat.

A lot of recipes I'm finding are for homemade burgers, sausages, frittatas, faux-cereals, that kind of thing. My preference is generally to eat food types separately - so my ideal Whole 30 compliant meal would be something like a palm's worth of poached chicken with compliant hot sauce, some asparagus, green beans & carrots sprinkled with salt, and a handful of olives. Or for breakfast, poached eggs with a sweet potato and a bunch of spinach, followed by an avocado. So everything is just cooked by itself, rather than combined and made into something, if that makes sense?

I've read in a few forum answers that you should, for example, only eat fruit 'as part as a meal' and not on its own. Is the way I'm proposing to eat a problem, then, or is it ok since it's being eaten at the same time as the other food types? I can't think of a logical reason why it would be a problem to eat food in the way I like to, but then I don't know much about food yet!

I eat almost exclusively this way - it's so much easier to meal prep batches of things (chicken, roasted veggies etc.) and then just put together meals based on whatever you feel like eating! I almost never make "recipes" so you can definitely w30 that way :) 

Archived