Newbie Sarah's Food log!

SCrames

Just finished my first week on Whole 30. Lots of changes going on...so think I want to start posting my food to see what anyone thinks :) As a side note, I was recently diagnosed with PCOS so I am watching my carb intake, keeping it at 50 or below.

7:30 AM Breakfast: 16 oz h2o, 2 eggs cooked in coconut oil, 1 lamb sausage (amazing things I found - completely and utterly whole30 approved, local farmer yayy), 1 cup veggies (spinach, pea pods), 1 few cubs of butternut squash, 1/4 small avocado 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds and 1 tbsp fresh blueberries. Everything was cooked together in 1 tbsp of coconut oil.

12:00 PM Lunch: 16 oz or more h2o, salmon cakes (made with 6 oz can of no salt trader joes salmon, 1 tbs coconut flour, 1 egg), hugeeee loaded veggie salad, 1/4 small avocado, 50g of sweet potato. Salmon cakes and sweet potato were cooked in 1/2 tbsp coconut oil.

4:00 PM tummy rumbling so had 1 small pack of Steve's Originial Jerky and a handful of cashews

Pre-Workout: 1 egg, 1/2 oz of macadamia nuts

Post-Workout: Chicken breast and 1/2 cup butternut squash

8:30 PM Dinna: 1 cup pulled pork, veggies and 1/4 avocado (Pork was made in crockpot with just seasonings and onions, out of a local pork shoulder!)

_______

My fear is that I am eating too much fat and calories. I know I shoudln't care too much about the calories, but I put it all in Myfitnesspal like I used to when i wasn't doing Whole 30 and its about 1800 calories :( My macros look like 60% Fat, 15% Carbs, 25% protein. I am 24, 5"4 and 135 lbs. My goal is to help solve some of the issues associated with PCOS as well as lose those last 10 lbs I've been trying to rid of for ages.

My first week I was feeling low energy - listened to my body, didn't workout on days I felt really tired. I did feel great about my body though. Felt a bit leaner and pants were loosening up! But I am still pretty tired, feeling bloated now for the first time since I started, and my pants are now tighter.

Thoughts on anything I can change about my food? Thanks :)

• Moderators

[begin rant] I wish Myfitnesspal would blow up. What a nasty, insidious brainwashing tool! I am going to recommend that the next version of the Whole30 explicitly says, "Do not track your food with Myfitnesspal, etc. The information you get from such counting programs encourages you to ignore your body and conform to false standards. [End rant]

Your portion sizes are on the small size as best I can tell. I think you need to eat a bit more. You probably need more starchy carbs like butternut squash and sweet potatoes to get your energy levels up. The proper portion size for protein is the size of your palm with the potential of having two such palm-size portions if you are hungry. If you can relax and trust the process, you can achieve your goals without worrying about calories or macro ratios.

Put down the logging tool and back away!

I have shared this before but it bares repeating. I logged my food everyday for nearly 4 years and despite that, i gained 10 pounds the past 2 years. By following the food template, NOT looking at calories in and calories out, I lost 9 pounds doing the whole30. I had lost 11 by the time I started my whole14.

Additionally, I went from being pre-diabetic to glucose levels within normal range.

I no longer have to rely on some generic value calculated for a generic person to know if I am eating too much or too little. I eat for ME. I stop when I am full. NO system anywhere can tell you that feedback. NO WHERE.

Thanks, Tom. I needed to hear this. My first week was so great in that I didn't have to constantly think about logging my food and spending so much time agonizing over the right macros. I felt freedom. Then week 2 hit and my old habits were creeping into my head!! I needed that rant :)

I will definitely consider adding more starchy veggies like you mentioned. Yesterday, I realized I didn't have any all day and I noticed how low my energy was. I am noticing though how much energy I am getting from my one egg and macadamians!!! Always have relied on carbs pre-workout. Never turning back :)

On to Day 10....

Big breakfast after my 5 mile run this am. I really wasn't hungry this AM and coudln't get myself to eat something before I ran. I always have digestive issues when I run on anything!

7:00 AM Breakfast was a big scramble of 1/2 sweet potato, brussel sprouts, snap pea pods, 1 Applegate Organics Chicken Apple sausage, a handful of blueberries and pomegranate seeds, topped with 2 eggs. All cooked in 1 tbsp coconut oil. Kept it lower on the fats since it also served as a post-workout.

Then a funny thing happened. At 10:30 I got hungry. I guess I needed a separate post-workout meal after my run, then breakfast. Noted for next time! Anyways, drank some water and at 12:30 got hungry for LUNCH!

Lunch: 1 chicken breast with roasted cauliflower and brussel sprouts, topped in a cocout curry cause from The Foodie Couple (random find - http://acoupleoffoodiesintacoma.blogspot.com/2012/05/coconut-cashew-chicken.html). I cut the sauce in halfish, using 1 tbsp coconut oil, tomatoes, onion, 1/2 cup coconut milk, and sprinlked with 1 tbsp toasted coconut flakes and 1 tbsp chopped cashews. I hope this isnt too much fat? Hoping it will keep me through the day because I am looking at a late dinner tonight (have an event tonight!).

Last night was a bit weird. I had a delicious and satisfying dinner at 8:30 of 1 cup shredded pork, overtop salad veggies and topped with my homemade guacamole (my portion was about 1/2 an avocado). At 10:30 I was laying in bed and my stomach started grumblingggg. I coudlnt sleep because of it. I listened to my body and got up to have a handful of cashews/macadamia nuts, and a few bits of the pulled pork. Good/bad idea?

Day 11

Woke up after a full night of sleep but still feeling very tired?! I went to bed at 10 and slept the whole night till 7. I thought I would feel well reseted, but wasn't. Keep trucking I guess...

Breakfast at 7:30 : 1 local lamb sausage, 2 eggs, scramble of pomegranate seeds, blueberries, 1/2 small sweet potato, brussel sprouts, and pea pods. All cooked in some coconut oil (I could eat this stuff out of the jarrrrr). It is funny because I now find this stuff very sweet! I guess this is what happens when you cut out all the other sweet stuff :) I also tossed in some dry-roasted pistachios since I am NOT allowing myself nuts for the rest of the day. I snacked on some cashews after dinner last night and am totally killing myself over it. I should probably not buy anymore cashews because they are heaven on earth to my tastebuds and I wasn't hungry, but ate them anyways.

Lunch will be: Ground grass fed beef cooked in some coconut oil, over a big salad and my homemade guacamole, dressed in avocado oil/rice vinegar as my dressing. Anyone try avocado oil before?

I was thinking just today when I had blueberries with coconut milk that I reckon I would enjoy this natural very sweet dish far more than Xmas pudding in a few weeks time..... It definetly didn't used to be that sweet. I have seen but never tried avocado oil, wasn't sure if it was really stable since the fruit oxidizes so quickly

Oyy what a bad night.

Everything was going great. Didn't need to snack - didn't feel hungry all afternoon! Then had my 1 egg and handful of macadamia nuts before my workout but i was SO tired. I could barely life weights. I stuck it out for an hour, then had some butternut squash and 1/2 a chicken breast. An hour after that, I had a delicious dinner. I cooked up some shrimp in coconut flour and shredded coconut all cooked in coconut oil and a big plate of roasted broccoli and brussel sprouts. Then I had a few cashews. Then i had a few more. I kept going and going. I ate more than a serving thats for sure. I wasn't even hungry, but my body was telling me more more more. Ugg so much for no nuts and sticking to my hunger signs. I need to get rid of the cashews....

Today is a new day!

Woke up early to workout, ran 3 miles and then had 1 egg and some macadamia nuts, then did a great bicep workout.

Rushed home and for breakfast I had my usual 2 eggs, 1 lamb sausage with sweet potato, brussel sprout, snap pea, pomegranate, blueberry hash. All cooked in light coconut oil (easier on the fats since it was also my post-workout).

Today will be a better day. I realize that when I completely deprive myself of things I have in my cupboard, it leads to my binges. Noted.

It's always a better day when you have learnt something about yourself Sarah, good job. You(we) need to eat more when we are tired. I got much better at it in my second week eating alternatives to nuts like soup, carrots, eggs, olives, cold meat.. Then had a flare up around day22, other than that my nut demon behaved which was one of the issues I wanted to fix :)

Archived