Cooking spray fail

Hi everyone. I am on Day 15 of my first Whole 30. I ate my usual weekday breakfast this morning: eggs scrambled with mushrooms, spinach and peppers. I get this from the cafeteria that we have at my office. I remember back to when I first started to get breakfast for my Whole 30 in the cafeteria, and made sure that what he was squeezing over the veggies to steam them was water, and I never thought to ask about the cooking spray because I assumed it was vegetable oil. But you know what they say when you assume... :( This morning noticed that the chef was using Pam cooking spray, but a different kind than what I use at home. In a panic, I put on my glasses to see what the Pam was called and immediately looked up the ingredients for Pam Saute & Grill Spray only to find that it includes soy lecithin. NOOOOOOOO! I have been avoiding it in all other ingredients lists, like my tea and knew it was non-compliant. I feel so dumb for not checking into the cooking spray earlier, and it's the only thing I've eaten that I haven't cooked in my own kitchen. I concluded that for me personally, it was just better to avoid restaurants for the 30 days. So my question is, if this was used to cook my food/prevent sticking, do I have to start over? Any help would be appreciated.

• Administrators

Dang! I'm sorry that happened to you. Cooking spray is a definite irritation for folks. Most of us get a Misto or similar hand-pump mister to use our own oil. 

That said, soy is one of the most disruptive ingredients out there. The guidance to you would be to restart, unfortunately. Because even though it was a mistake, your body doesn't know/care and your reset was reset. That all said, you do get to decide. Have a read through the starting over article linked in my signature.

Archived