srp1777

I am trying to get more organ meats in my diet, but I cannot handle the taste and texture of liver. I have cooked it every way known to mankind, and while I am capable of choking it down, I would rather not. I was told liverwurst is much more palatable, plus it has several different organ meats in it (bonus!). The only problem is honey is the 8th ingredient after some spices. This is not a ton of honey, but I wanted to do another whole30 in January and cannot figure out if it would be acceptable.

I know the rules say no added sugar, but I am thinking the benefits of getting organ meats in my diet outway the miniscule amount of honey in the liverwurst. It is made from grass-fed, grass-finished beef.

Ingredients: beef, beef liver, beef kidneys, beef heart, water, sea salt, onion powder, honey, white pepper, coriander, marjoram, allspice

Any thoughts?

Jenn - I do not have a meat grinder and I buy my gf/gf beef from the farmers market so I don't have that option. I was thinking about using my food processor to grind it up then mix it with the ground beef and making some meatballs. I'm just unsure if the taste will still be there.

Johnny - how do you make a pâté? I have never tried it.

Here is my chopped liver recipe..... 2 lbs chicken livers sauted until well done in coconut oil. Traditionally you use chicken fat but I haven't found any " natural ". ( you can always add pork belly and it's fat but kinda goes against the spirt of Jewish deli.... Lol but more delish). Remove from pan and Cool

Dice one med yellow onion... At least 3/4 cup ( naturally sweet) and sauté in same pan with more coconut oil until very very golden brown...lots of carmelazation is important. Cool in the oil and save all

Once cooled down place livers,onions with cooking oil, 2 hard boiled eggs, sea salt and plenty of fresh ground black pepper in a food processor....

Pulse until smooth and enjoy......

My pate recipe is not whole30 compliant but you might be able to modify it using ghee instead of butter and maybe some kind of vinegar instead of sherry...

• saute 1 small shallot chopped and .5lb chicken liver in 1 tbsp butter until browned
  • add 1/2 tsp dijon mustard, 1 sprig chopped thym and 1 chopped rosemary, 2 garlic cloves crushed, and 1/2-3/4 cup dry sherry
  • cook until liquid is almost gone
  • put in food processor adding 1/4 cup butter a little at a time until smooth and butter is incorporated. Salt and pepper to taste
  • put into glass jar and cool in fridge

Anyone for Foie Gras ???.... I don't think I'd eat it now knowing the way they manipulate the geese or ducks to get their livers to swell to 1/2 their body weights.... Can't be to healthy... Anybody know?

According to a lot of chefs, you can now find fois gras from humanely treated ducks. It was on my food bucket list. I had it in SF and it was incredible. I probably won't have it again unless I can see the happy ducks (yeah right) with my own eyes. I'm obnoxious like that.

easy liverwurst recipe:

steam 1 lb of liver with an onion and some garlic if you like ... I usually use beef

put through a meat grinder once cooked and then place in a food processor.

add,

2 T homemade EVOO mayo

1 tsp finely ground pepper

1 1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp marjoram

1/2 tsp coriander

1/4 tsp mace or nutmeg

1/4 tsp allspice

1/4 tsp cardamom

process until smooth, then chill to serve.

if it's a bit dry you can add more mayo or some other clean fat of some type.

some people add in pork fat so if you have a clean source of pork fat you can add that in and adjust the spice accordingly.

i've been making this for years and my kids love it.

the original recipe called for 3 T powdered milk and 1 tsp of sugar... but it makes no difference to omit them IMO.

According to a lot of chefs, you can now find fois gras from humanely treated ducks. It was on my food bucket list. I had it in SF and it was incredible. I probably won't have it again unless I can see the happy ducks (yeah right) with my own eyes. I'm obnoxious like that.

Well..... You can get " duck liver" that way.... But it ain't Foie Gras.... Lol. No humane way possible to get a two pound liver out of a six pound duck..... Really kinda evil what we do for an appetizer! Honestly, I haven't had it in many years and don't see any reason to ever have it again..... My Karma is darkened enough from the thousands of pounds I've cooked ..... Presently atoning so I don't come back as a duck,lobster,or milk feed veal!!!

Here is my chopped liver recipe..... 2 lbs chicken livers sauted until well done in coconut oil. Traditionally you use chicken fat but I haven't found any " natural ". ( you can always add pork belly and it's fat but kinda goes against the spirt of Jewish deli.... Lol but more delish). Remove from pan and Cool

Dice one med yellow onion... At least 3/4 cup ( naturally sweet) and sauté in same pan with more coconut oil until very very golden brown...lots of carmelazation is important. Cool in the oil and save all

Once cooled down place livers,onions with cooking oil, 2 hard boiled eggs, sea salt and plenty of fresh ground black pepper in a food processor....

Pulse until smooth and enjoy......

OMG! Just made this and it is YUMMO! I added garlic and processed it until it was pate then ate it on celery...so good, THANK YOU!

Thanks Mjam.....glad you liked it so much..... That was one of the 100's of recipes my dad passed down to me starting 40 years ago.... He had a very popular Jewish Deli in New York when I was a kid. Yep he recruited me at 9 years old, everyday after school and on weekends.... HRS would have put me in foster care today. Lol. He gave me a treasure of info and I got to spend all afternoon with my dad every day....what else could a young kid ask for???

Beef tongue anyone???

I hate liver of any kind, trust me I have tried it all thanks to my Mom who would force us to try whatever liver she cooked when we were growing up. I have been thinking about adding liver into something that would cover the taste, since my husband also hates it, because I think we need to add liver to our diet every once and awhile. Any suggestions?

yeah pate and ground liver mixed in with hamburger in meatballs and meat patties...

I really dislike liver on it's own and I've tried it all... but I like this liverwurst and i could handle it in meat patties... so I think meatballs would be good too.

I will also give the liver in burgers a nod. The husband and the toddlers eat the liver burgers with no drama. I use a 10% liver ratio and I find that is just the perfect amount...not too much livery taste especially when the burgers are slathered in homemade mayo. I chop the large chunk of liver into small portions and freeze it, then I pull one out when I want to make burgers. I don't have a meat grinder so I throw the thawed liver in the food processor and process until it's liver liquid (ok ewww sorry) then mix it into the burgers with rosemary, chives and garlic powder.

But you should really try that recipe FenderBender posted above...so good! And chicken livers are not as livery as beef livers. I have been eating it on celery since I made it. Had you told me I would be eating liver and other organ meats 6 month ago I would have laughed in your face...now? BRING ON THE LIVERS!

I LOVE liver--always have. I craved it like crazy when I was pregnant--didn't matter what form--liverwurst, calf liver, chicken livers... yum! When I was growing up, my grandmother would fry chicken livers and quartered mushrooms, sprinkle with a T or 2 of flour and then stir in sour cream to make a sauce... heaven! When I do giblets for gravy, I have to beat my older daughter off with a stick, because she will steal the liver and heart, and I just introduced my toddler to liverwurst the other day on a spoon and he really liked that--specially with a green olive chaser!

I do like to add organ meats to chili and the spice and long cooking really hides the flavor and texture, and I have also minced liver (and heart too) fine and mixed it in with ground beef for meatloaf and patties. I did see a recipe on foodee for 50 50 burgers with liverwurst. Basically it is equal parts ground beef and bacon with a liverwurst center-- I so have to try that! Pre Whole 30, I would do a butter and blue cheese mix, freeze it in in dollops and then stuff burgers with them and have sauteed mushrooms **shiver** talk about SWYPO! I need to figure out a Paleo friendly version of Beef Wellington...

I really want to try fenderbender's recipe, but I am a little scared! For those of you that have tried it, do you eat it as a meal with celery sticks? I really want to make something I can eat every other morning for breakfast. I am thinking a good hearty scoop with celery and some bone broth with a touch of coconut oil added would make a great start to the day :D

I also would like to try adding some chicken livers to hamburgers or meatballs so I can get my husband and kids eating some too.

Archived