Starting Whole30 tomorrow 10/25 !

Johanna S

Hi everyone!

My name is Johanna! I'm 24 years old and I'm from New Jersey, currently living in Red Bank! I've been looking into Whole30 a lot recently, any my step-mom and I have decided to take the plunge and start tomorrow, October 25th. I'm really excited to start, but also a little uneasy. I know it's going to be hard to cut a lot of my favorite foods out (pasta, pizza, cheese, etc.) but this is something that I really want to do for myself and who myself that I can commit to something for 30 days. Any support and motivation would be wonderful!

I'm going to try and post here every day so that I can keep myself accountable and motivated to this, and to share my journey with others! 

Wish me luck! 

10 hours ago, Surfcookie said:

I am starting today, too!! Best of luck!!

Hey! How did your first day go!?

For me, it's so far so good, but then again it's only day 1! I had some great meals so that's a plus. I'm hoping not to feel "hungover" tomorrow or the next day! 

8 hours ago, Laura LW said:

Hello Johanna S and surfcookie,

Today is day 1 for me also.  This is a first for me, and I’m a bit nervous!  I’m excited a few others are starting today.  Congratulations on your decision to eat healthy.

Laura

Hey Laura LW! I'm glad to see I have some others who started today! Congrats to you as well!

How did your first day go?!

Johanna

Well Day 1 is in the books! Yay!

Excited that I made it through the day without wanting to give up, but I know it's only been a day! I hit one road bump when it came to having a post workout meal. I didn't have it planned and I panicked a bit about what's an easy snack to bring with me to the gym so that I can have it after I workout. I ended up stoping at this paleo friendly restaurant that just opened in my town where I enjoyed some grilled chicken and sweet potatoes. In the future I would like to be more prepared with an easy snack of some sort.

If anyone has suggestions for a postworkout snack/meal I would love to hear! 

Other than that, today was awesome! I've been having a blast cooking and I'm excited for tomorrow.

P.S. If anyone hasn't had the "Baked Chicken with Tarragon Butter over Charred Leeks" from the Whole30 Book, you need to have it for dinner ASAP! I think it's the best meal I've ever made. 

Cheers to tomorrow!

Congrats on a great first day!  It was easier than I expected.  The meals are incredible and filling.  I forgot what it was like to have energy from food other than sugar.  

Despite my family all suffering with influenza currently, I wasn’t tempted at all to cheat. 

My go to snack food for workouts is boba red mill paleo mix with fruit, macadamia nuts, seeds, and coconut flakes.  

Laura

Day 2! Almost done! 

Currently cooking spaghetti squash for dinner, and I'm going to serve it with ground beef and tomato sauce! Should be tasty. 

Today I felt a little tired and hungry at times, but it may just be from working out today I'm not sure. We'll see how I feel tomorrow. 

I am having a bit of a craving for doritos and my mom is tempting me right now with her glass of wine, but I'm strong I'll be fine! 

Good luck to everyone tomorrow on day 3! 

Day 2 got better once I realized I hadn't eaten enough the day before.  

My period is kicking my butt this morning so that's not helping today start out good but I'm trying to stay positive.

Is anyone keeping a food journal?  If so, what do you record each day?  Just your meals, or how you feel, and workouts, etc.?

I've been a little MIA! Sorry about that, my browser wasn't allowing me to comment for some reason and was also giving me other problems, so I finally just switched browsers.

justmandalynn, 

I'm not exactly keeping a food journal, although I think I want to start! I've been writing down just the meals I have each day, but not in detail. I've also made an instagram account to post photos of my meals and stuff, just to keep me motivated and to have another platform to connect with other whole30ers!!! But I do want to start a more detailed food journal so I can always look back on each meal, how I made it, and how I felt about it! 

I also want to start recording my workouts, thanks for bringing that up! 

Day 3 was good for me, but I did keep getting cravings for different snacks and foods and such. I just kept keeping myself distracted and drinking plenty of water. I was also feeling pretty tired all day, but I think that was normal according to what the book said. Other than that, my day was all good and I enjoyed some good meals. 

Day 4 was great! I felt like I had so much energy and just felt all around happier. I ate good fulfilling meals, my favorite being dinner: buffalo wings! I made a whole30 compliant ranch to go with it. It was amazing, it felt like I was cheating on this whole30 thing, but I wasn't at all. Tomorrow I hope for another good day, I plan on planning out my meals for the week and after doing some grocery shopping. 

Hope everyone's doing well!! 

:)

Day #5 Done!!

Today was good! I must say I've been feeling a lot more energized today. I ate good and had no desire to snack at all today, yay! I had my first challenge though!! Going out to dinner :o! My parents wanted to go out to dinner to celebrate something and we went to this Asian-Fusion restaurant in my town that is amazing. I must say I was a little upset going there. For those who don't know me, I love all asian food...all of it! So when I started Whole30 I knew no soy was going to be a huge challenge for me because it's in pretty much every asian dish possible. Turns out it hasn't been as big of a challenge to not cook with it at home...but when you go to an Asian restaurant, it's much more challenging. Looking at the menu made me want to cry a little bit inside, but surprisingly I was very distracted just trying to find something that I could have that didn't bother me. My parents got amazing cocktails (they make really good and different ones here) I was a bit jealous, but I've gotten used to drinking my club soda with lime. So to order, first, I went with a sushi roll that I like but asked if they could make it with no rice or sauce. Unfortunately, they can't make it without rice...kinda weird but whatever! So I went with my second option which was their Strip Steak. It was originally served with butternut mashed potatoes, kale, and mushrooms in soy sauce. So I asked to make sure they grilled the steak with no butter, just olive oil salt and pepper. Then, I asked for no mashed potatoes (assuming they probably used milk in them), and for no soy sauce with the mushrooms or kale. Turns out the mushrooms were apparently already marinated in soy sauce or something so they just gave me the sautéed kale! Long story short, it was actually DELICIOUS. I was extremely satisfied and I practically licked the plate clear. My dad was SHOCKED that I finished the steak, as it was quite big. He said "wow, someone was hungry, I didn't think you were going to finish that! That is a sure sign of a good diet." And he's right. Normally, if I had been snacking all day and eating junk I wouldn't of been able to finish the steak most likely. But this Whole30 thing has started to regulate my eating pattern and makes me hungry and excited for each meal! Here's to day 6!!!!!

Great job on finding something complaint when out to eat Johanna!!  I've avoiding eating out specifically for this reason.  I almost completely messed up Saturday evening when ordering a coffee.  I asked for steamed almond milk without even thinking about it but right as the barista was about to pour it I asked if I could see the ingredients list.  I was glad I did, it had cane sugar in it!  We stayed up late Saturday for a Halloween party and were up early for church on Sunday so I was dog tired yesterday but I still managed to get things done around the house.

My struggle has been that I'm not hungry when it's "time" to eat.  I made the mistake of not eating enough on day 1 so I'm trying to really follow the guidelines on meal times and amounts but I feel like I'm forcing myself to eat most of the time.  I also REALLY miss the honey in my coffee.  Aside from that I haven't had any cravings for "bad" foods.  

I have enjoyed having more energy, and despite the daily e-mail saying I would want to "Kill all things" on days 4 & 5 I was actually in a spectacular mood.  Maybe knowing that could be a possibility made me go in to it with a different mentality so that I stayed positive instead.

I have to agree with you! I didn't feel that I wanted to "kill all things" on day 4 or 5 either. This whole thing has just made me feel so positive that maybe I'm just overseeing it, or like you said maybe we were just prepared for it! 

I think it may be good that you're still "forcing" yourself to eat when it's time. Maybe your body is just adjusting to the eating times, but by continuing to eat at these times maybe it will start to regulate to that cycle and then it will feel more natural. I'm no expert so I'm not sure if that's right, but just a thought! Keep on goin!!! 

Day #6 - Just another good day. 

I'm not sure what it is, but I've just been having overall great days since I've started. I think I'm just experiencing more of a mind over matter kind of thing. I just love the feeling of being so dedicated to something and really working hard to meal plan and make sure I succeed. Also, feeling more energized and happy that it's all going so well. I think my positivity has just been so high that there's been nothing too big to get in my way that I haven't been able to handle. I know it's still early though, and they do say that by day 10 most people quit or want to quit. Day 10 will be friday so we will have to see how I feel then! 

Today I had some frittata for breakfast that I made last night for the week, turkey/prosciutto rollups with a mixed green salad for lunch, and CRABCAKES with potatoes and zucchini for dinner! YUM! I feel so satisfied. 

Looking forward to another good day! 

Hi ladies!  I’ve been out a couple days.  I’m glad to hear you Johanna and just mandalynn are both hanging in there.  Days 1-4 seemed too easy to be real.  Today it finally hit me.  I woke feeling completely drained and with gastritis.  Have either of you had an upset stomach?  I’m guessing it’s perhaos from such a drastic change from being vegetarian and lots of carbs, to mostly meats and veggies.  That and the period cramps. 

I hope day 5 is great for you!

Laura

I guess yestetests post just went through.  Day 6 is done!  This was the first day I craved anything and it was quinoa.  Funny.  I thought it would be chocolate.

Great job Johanna, on eating out and making it work.

I’m thinking you’re both right about making sure to eat whether you’re hungry or not.  I’ve lost my appetite completely and am running on empty.  I’m wondering if the body is just trying to adapt to a lack of instant sugar for energy or if I’m still recovering from the flu.  

Anyhow, congratulations on being 1/5th done with this adventure!

Laura

Welcome back Laura!  The only time I had an upset stomach was day 2 because I hadn't eaten enough the day before.  I was eating pretty close to Whole30 already to begin with though so I am guessing I'm missing out on a lot of the "symptoms" others experience.  

Johanna I had crabcakes for dinner last night too!  I had garlic parsley sweet potato fries with them.  Did you use the Real Plans recipe?

Are either of you coffee drinkers?  I miss the honey in my coffee something terrible today.  I've tried almond milk, I've done bulletproof coffee before, I bit the bullet and bought the new vital proteins collagen creamer, and nothing has me satisfied.  I even switched to the crio bru (roasted cacao beans) thinking it was just the bitterness of coffee breaking through...still no luck.  Any suggestions?  It's not the caffeine I'm after, I just really enjoy that warm creamy drink in the morning to get my day started.

Hey Laura! Great job hanging in there! I'm sure going from vegetarian to eating meats is definitely a reason your stomach is upset. I'm sure with some time it will adapt! 

justmandalynn, so funny we both had crabcakes last night! No I don't think I used that one, I used a recipe from  realfoodwithdana.com It was a paleo crabcake recipe I found when I googled for a recipe, they turned out great! 

I am a coffee drinker! From when I first started drinking coffee, I always had super creamy and sweet coffee with either creamers or sugar or half and half, whatever it was. Over time I guess my taste buds changed because over time I stopped using sugar or sweet creamers and just stuck with half and half. Then for a period I tried drinking just black coffee, wasn't crazy about it unless it was iced. I found I could tolerate iced black coffee, but I know what you mean about enjoying a warm creamy coffee in the morning! So, with that being said, I've been doing okay with black coffee in the morning, but I do miss the cream. I don't really have any personal suggestions since I've been okay without it, but I have heard of people using a variety of different items and tricks. I've heard of coconut milk (it's the creamiest) or almond milk, combined with vanilla extract (make sure to find a non-alcoholic kind if you use this as a lot of brands have alcohol in it!) or unsweetened cocoa. I've also heard of combining some or all of those ingredients with your coffee and then putting it in a blender for a little bit because it will give it a more frothy and creamy texture. I don't know if this helps, but it may be worth a try! 

Also, you mentioned bulletproof coffee! I see a ton of people drinking that lately and I've been very curious about it. What's it all about?! 

Day #7- Woo! 

I felt super tired this morning for some reason. I struggled to get out of bed a little bit. I saw that day 6 and 7 you may feel more tired then normal, so I guess that's what I'm going through. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some energy back. 

Happy Halloween by the way! I live on the edge of town on a small and quiet street so we barely get any trick-or-treaters, which leaves me with a pretty full bowl of candy. I'm usually not even a sweets person, but every time I look at the bowl I want one so badly. Good thing I'm keeping it out of sight unless the door bell rings! 

Tomorrow my work schedule starts changing and could get a little difficult, but I'm determined to just plan it out so it works for me. 

Congrats everyone on making it through 1 week! 

Sorry for not replying yesterday.  Work is crazy and the last thing I want to do is be on a computer when I get home.

Official bulletproof coffee is a brand of coffee that you mix with their brain octane oil and ghee.  I did an at home remake with my own favorite coffee and coconut oil.  I haven't tried it with ghee, just seems like a strange combination to me.  I'm probably completely missing out.  Anywho, you blend it together to give it the froth you were talking about.  The froth is what I really love about doing that but it still feels like it's missing something without the honey in it for me. 

I switched to Christmas Time tea with the Califia Farms Better Half creamer today.  I know there are some true Whole30er's that would scoff at that but I'm REALLY good with everything else that I have.  I also know that I'm going to fall off the band wagon next Saturday because I'm getting married.  It'd be really strange to cut the cake but not have any!  Or better yet, "honey, feed me this super tiny grain of cake in front of everyone and then I'll spit it in to a napkin".  Ummm, I think not.  haha

Hope Day 8 was great!  Here's to an even better Day 9!

hahaha, congratulations on your upcoming wedding day! I totally don't blame you at all for giving it a break or whatever. It's your wedding! And there will be plenty of celebrations after with good food and what not. I hope it's an amazing day for you, as I'm sure it will be! So exciting! :D

day 8 was good! I started working at a restaurant yesterday, and for the first day they wanted me to stay in the kitchen to see all the different dishes come out so I could become familiar with them. Boy was that a struggle. It's a really good Italian restaurant in my town and you know what that means: breaded chicken and veals, creamy sauces, cheese, wine in different recipes, butter, oh and did I mention tons of CHEESE! Ugh it was so hard looking at all of that food and not being able to eat it. Especially at the end, because they give you a free meal each day of training, and they encourage you to try different things on the menu so you can taste it all. I was so close to caving, not only because all the food looked so good and I wanted to taste it, but because it really is important to try different dishes there so you know what you're talking about when speaking with customers. BUT I kicked myself in the butt and told myself not to give up now! So I got their Shrimp dish that was made in a spicy tomato sauce but instead of pasta I got sautéed spinach and just pretended it was pasta! It'll be tough working there for the next 20 days, but it will be an amazing reward for  when I'm finished ! :)

Also, that halloween candy is still haunting me...but I'm resisting. 

Today, Day #9, has been good so far. But today I just don't feel like cooking, it's days like today I wish I had the money to hire a personal chef! Haha! But I think I'm going to make a Thai soup called Tom Yam. Turns out it's completely whole30 compliant, and when I traveled to Thailand this summer I brought home a dried spice package of the ingredients for it and I have yet to make it. So I think tonight is the night! Looking forward to it. 

Hope everyone has a good day today, and here's hoping the Italian food doesn't get me to cave before day 30! I'm going to need some support!

Hello! I started Whole30 for the first time on 10/30. I wanted to add to the forum since this one has responses and I know I'll need support to get through day 30. I've been doing good overall. I need to get more protein in for breakfast, so I'll adjust that starting tomorrow. My sugar dragon has been real, especially yesterday. Afternoons are hardest for me when it comes to sugar cravings. I also miss chewing gum hahaha. Those are my main 2 complaints, but other then that, I feel good. I haven't noticed much of a difference, but I'm only on day 4. I can see food prepping getting a little tedious, but I'm enjoying it so far. I really want to make a soup tonight.

Good luck to all of you! I love reading everyone's experiences.

Welcome ksigl124!

I just discovered all the posts from this forum have been going to my junk box.  Now that I’ve fixed it, I hope to check in daily. 

Mandalynn, I’m so excited for you and your wedding.  You totally get a pass that day.  

I saw you both made crab cakes the day after a bought crab.  I saw the recipe on the real foods app.  Is that the one you used?

Ive had some amazing food from the recipes on it.  The best were the quiche, slow cooker turkey meatballs, and the taco salad with creamy avacado dressing.

Today I had a really tired feeling day.  I’m with you Joanne, some days it would be great to have a chef.  One thing I’ve found that helps is to double all the recipes that we make good leftovers and use them for the next days lunch.  I only cook one big meal a day and breakfast. 

So far, the only real challenge was Halloween and holding a tub of candy for 3 hours! I’m glad that’s over.

Hope you all have a great night.

Laura

Archived