organic sunbutter?

KatieOz

I'm just starting my Whole30.. and am having trouble with the long hours I work. I eat a large lunch with lots of protein and veggies around 2... but with overtime I'm not getting home from work for dinner until after 9. When I do get home I'm so hungry it's tempting to eat whatever I can get my hands on (I haven't.. but it's tempting ^_-) I was thinking of having an apple with organic sunbutter (only ingredient is roasted sunflower seeds) but I know nut butters are discouraged. Is this okay for me to have on my late night days? Cheers in advance ^_^

I was just thinking about sunbutter. I haven't been eating nut butters or sunbutter, but they're technically allowed, yes?

I was thinking about making Well Fed's sunbutter sauce. Any reason not to? You guys promote the cookbook, but mention there's just a few recipes that aren't compliant. You don't say which, though, at least not anywhere that I've seen! The peach almond crisp is the only one I've seen so far that I'm sure would be off the list. What are the others?

(If the sunbutter sauce is ok, then I have a second question: someone last night asked me why sunbutter would be ok, but sunflower oil wouldn't be. I didn't have an answer to that, which made me wonder if the sunbutter is ok. I haven't used any oils but coconut and occasional olive for a long time, so I didn't even consider sunflower oil, but now I'm curious.)

Silk - Sunbutter, Sunshine Sauce and even Sunflower oil are all fine.

The deal with nut and seed products is that they are high in potentially inflammatory fats. This gets compounded when you heat them, which is why we don't recommend seed oils (they are often extruded using heat and the heat used in cooking damages them). A bit of sunflower oil, used cold, is an okay choice.

Archived