How Many Questions to Ask When Eating Out

kirbz

So, I'm on Day 40 of my Whole30 (planning to try for 50 days) and I really haven't bothered to eat out because it all just seems so overwhelming and so not even worth it. But, I'd like to go out to my very favorite restaurant for a work event on Monday. I'd like to eat the steak tartare. The chef provided this list as the ingredients: extra virgin olive oil, egg yolk, capers, anchovies, cornichons, parsley, dijon mustard, shallots, salt & pepper. 

My question is, is this compliant or do I need to ask more questions? It's possible that the cornichons have sugar, as well as the Dijon... But that just seems ridiculous to ask questions to that level of detail. How far do you go when asking questions when eating out?

Gah, I'm really struggling with this! I've turned down every invitation to eat out. I have no idea how to manage this! 

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, kirbz said:

So, I'm on Day 40 of my Whole30 (planning to try for 50 days) and I really haven't bothered to eat out because it all just seems so overwhelming and so not even worth it. But, I'd like to go out to my very favorite restaurant for a work event on Monday. I'd like to eat the steak tartare. The chef provided this list as the ingredients: extra virgin olive oil, egg yolk, capers, anchovies, cornichons, parsley, dijon mustard, shallots, salt & pepper. 

My question is, is this compliant or do I need to ask more questions? It's possible that the cornichons have sugar, as well as the Dijon... But that just seems ridiculous to ask questions to that level of detail. How far do you go when asking questions when eating out?

Gah, I'm really struggling with this! I've turned down every invitation to eat out. I have no idea how to manage this! 

If you are on a Whole30, then yes, you'd ask questions down to 'do the pickles have sugar, does the dijon have wine'.  This is why we don't recommend really extended Whole30's because it's not reasonable to be asking these questions for months and months or even years as some people do.  You may want to consider doing your reintroductions and creating a Food Freedom plan that may be based very closely on Whole30 but that has outs for things like this if that's the way you want to eat in the future.

Oh goodness, no wonder I never bothered to eat out! LOL, how annoying to have to ask the chef all that information! Definitely not worth it. At all. 

Ugh, I guess I'll just end my Whole30 at 44 days, eat the steak tartare and begin my reintroductions... I didn't want to go much longer anyway because I wanted time to finish the reintroductions before the Thanksgiving holidays... 

Thanks so much for the response! I think you Moderators are amazing and really appreciate your oversight, direction, kindness, and tough love! 

Archived