*NIGERIAN FOOD* Ground Melon Seeds

W30LifestlyeLady

I tracked down a few previous posts that mention "egusi" but it doesn't appear that anyone has specifically answered the question I have, which is:

Can I have EGUSI?

Egusi (also known by variations including agusi, agushi) is the name for the fat- and protein-rich seeds of certain cucurbitaceous plants (squash, melon, gourd), which after being dried and ground are used as a major ingredient in West African cuisine.

Many thanks in advance if you can answer this!

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, W30LifestlyeLady said:

I tracked down a few previous posts that mention "egusi" but it doesn't appear that anyone has specifically answered the question I have, which is:

Can I have EGUSI?

Egusi (also known by variations including agusi, agushi) is the name for the fat- and protein-rich seeds of certain cucurbitaceous plants (squash, melon, gourd), which after being dried and ground are used as a major ingredient in West African cuisine.

Many thanks in advance if you can answer this!

Are you using it as a flour/bread replacement?  If so, no, not allowed.  Not sure what the context is to use this for so you'll need to be more specific.

17 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Are you using it as a flour/bread replacement?  If so, no, not allowed.  Not sure what the context is to use this for so you'll need to be more specific.

Hi SugarcubeOD, thank you for your response! No, I'm not using it as a bread or flour replacement. Egusi (ground melon seeds) is simply an ingredient in a Nigerian soup called Egusi soup. 

From Wikipedia:

Egusi soup is a kind of soup thickened with the ground seeds and popular in West Africa, with considerable local variation.[4] Besides the seeds, water, and oil, egusi soup typically contains leaf vegetables, other vegetables, seasonings, and meat. Leaf vegetables typically used for egusi soup include bitterleaf, celosia and spinach. Typical other vegetables include tomatoes and okra. Typical seasonings include chili peppers, onions, and locust beans. Also commonly used are beef, goat, fish, shrimps, or crayfish.

I've attached a picture as well. 

Thank you! Looking forward to your reply. 

display-1140x500.jpg

• Moderators
5 hours ago, W30LifestlyeLady said:

Hi SugarcubeOD, thank you for your response! No, I'm not using it as a bread or flour replacement. Egusi (ground melon seeds) is simply an ingredient in a Nigerian soup called Egusi soup. 

From Wikipedia:

Egusi soup is a kind of soup thickened with the ground seeds and popular in West Africa, with considerable local variation.[4] Besides the seeds, water, and oil, egusi soup typically contains leaf vegetables, other vegetables, seasonings, and meat. Leaf vegetables typically used for egusi soup include bitterleaf, celosia and spinach. Typical other vegetables include tomatoes and okra. Typical seasonings include chili peppers, onions, and locust beans. Also commonly used are beef, goat, fish, shrimps, or crayfish.

I've attached a picture as well. 

Thank you! Looking forward to your reply. 

display-1140x500.jpg

Go ahead, that looks amazing (with the caveat that like other nuts and seeds, these should be limited, so I wouldnt eat this every day)

Amazing! I found that efo was so helpful the first time I did whole 30. Often cooked it with kale, spinach and prawns. Although I cooked it in avocado oil. Was delicious with sweet potato :) Who says nigerian food cant be healthy!! Hoping to start whole30 again this week!! Such a life changing meal plan!

Archived