Planning for work trip

chachacha

Hey all - day 31 here! :) I am officially done with my Whole30, but feeling so fabulous I plan to stay on template for my meals, and pretty much follow Whole30 rules for the meals I prepare myself (which is nearly all of them).  I’m willing to be a bit more lenient on food I eat in restaurants now, e.g. cooking oil, butter not ghee, etc.

Next week I’m traveling for work. I’m not worried about dinner, we eat at very nice  restaurants so I’ll be able to order grilled fish, chicken, or steak with ample veggies. 

I’m a bit more worried about breakfast and lunch, as they consist of takeout and foods I have no desire to eat. I’ll have a mini fridge in my hotel room, so I’m going to back plenty of the Epic bars (varieties without the dried fruit), apples, and avocados in my suitcase. 

Does anyone have other ideas for food that will keep in my backpack for five or six hours to get a little more variety? Raw veggies and nuts make my gut very unhappy, so those are out. I avoid dried fruit/Lara bars because my sugar dragon is in a coma and I don’t want to wake her up. 

I’d appreciate any ideas you may have! Thank you!

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, chachacha said:

Hey all - day 31 here! :) I am officially done with my Whole30, but feeling so fabulous I plan to stay on template for my meals, and pretty much follow Whole30 rules for the meals I prepare myself (which is nearly all of them).  I’m willing to be a bit more lenient on food I eat in restaurants now, e.g. cooking oil, butter not ghee, etc.

Next week I’m traveling for work. I’m not worried about dinner, we eat at very nice  restaurants so I’ll be able to order grilled fish, chicken, or steak with ample veggies. 

I’m a bit more worried about breakfast and lunch, as they consist of takeout and foods I have no desire to eat. I’ll have a mini fridge in my hotel room, so I’m going to back plenty of the Epic bars (varieties without the dried fruit), apples, and avocados in my suitcase. 

Does anyone have other ideas for food that will keep in my backpack for five or six hours to get a little more variety? Raw veggies and nuts make my gut very unhappy, so those are out. I avoid dried fruit/Lara bars because my sugar dragon is in a coma and I don’t want to wake her up. 

I’d appreciate any ideas you may have! Thank you!

This type of discussion has been had quite a few times on these forums... google 'whole30 brown bag lunch' or 'whole30 picnic' for ideas that will also work for 5-6 hours in a backpack.

5 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

This type of discussion has been had quite a few times on these forums... google 'whole30 brown bag lunch' or 'whole30 picnic' for ideas that will also work for 5-6 hours in a backpack.

Hi SugarcubeOD,

I actually did that before I posted. What I found were lots of great idea for people taking a meal from home. 

Perhaps it would help to be more specific - I am limited by what I can store in a hotel mini fridge and that I can take with me in my suitcase. 

I don’t know if there are options beyond what I’m already planning to take, but hoped the someone(s) in the Whole30 Hive might have experience and suggestions. 

• Moderators

Cans or pouches of tuna or salmon or maybe even chicken if you can find one with no weird ingredients would be good protein options. Does your hotel have a microwave, whether in your room or down in the lobby? You could pack things like baby carrots and steam them in the microwave. If you're able to hit up a grocery store in the evening after work or on a lunch break, you might find pre-cooked things like boiled eggs or maybe even rotisserie chicken, or other vegetable options. Or order a to-go meal at the dinner restaurant to have for lunch the next day, or purposely order a larger than you need meal (go for the larger steak option, take the leftovers with you for later). Does the hotel offer a breakfast? Talk to them and see if they'll have anything you can have -- hard boiled eggs, fruit, or anything that might work. 

You might find some of the suggestions in this download helpful too: https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-travel.pdf

On 10/25/2017 at 8:37 PM, ShannonM816 said:

Cans or pouches of tuna or salmon or maybe even chicken if you can find one with no weird ingredients would be good protein options. Does your hotel have a microwave, whether in your room or down in the lobby? You could pack things like baby carrots and steam them in the microwave. If you're able to hit up a grocery store in the evening after work or on a lunch break, you might find pre-cooked things like boiled eggs or maybe even rotisserie chicken, or other vegetable options. Or order a to-go meal at the dinner restaurant to have for lunch the next day, or purposely order a larger than you need meal (go for the larger steak option, take the leftovers with you for later). Does the hotel offer a breakfast? Talk to them and see if they'll have anything you can have -- hard boiled eggs, fruit, or anything that might work. 

You might find some of the suggestions in this download helpful too: https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-travel.pdf

Thank you so much!  I hadn't even considered things like tins of tuna and that I might be able to find a grocery store where I can get precooked eggs/chicken.  Maybe even some deli roast veggies too!  Thank you for the suggestions, I'm feeling better about my trip now. :)

Archived