1st timer, starting November 1st!

PhoenixSarahzona

What a great thread! I started today, so I'm on another thread but wanted to throw my 2 cents in for Noria. Doing a Whole30 around the holidays can be a little tough, to say the least. I am not worried about thanksgiving this time around, but I don't know that I would have done it the first time. The first time I removed just about everything from my schedule except work, eating, and showering. And walking the dog :) I felt like if I had anything else going on, I would have failed, so I purposely set myself up for success. But once I decided to do it, there were no more excuses. I just kept going. So if you want to wait until you move, etc, I think that's good planning. If you are waiting until it's more convenient, you might need to really check in with yourself. And honestly, you will feel SO GOOD that it just doesn't seem that hard. 

One more thing. when I decided to do my whole 30 the first time, I made a decision to change some things about me, so it went deeper than what I was eating. This may not be the case for you, but it's part of my story and I love telling it. The whole 30 was a bridge to living my life in a different way. And half way through my 30 days, I met my now husband. And i honestly believe it was because I was purging the crap out of my life in many ways, becoming who I needed to be. So the whole 30 may bring you a few pounds lost and better skin or better sleep.... or it may bring you something bigger and deeper. So doing it when you are ready to make a decision that it's what you want is really more important than what day you start..... 

Good luck, whatever that day is!

Missi

Hay Y'all

Day 4 ...Still staying focused about what I am eating. Still missing flavored drinks. I was a soda pop junkie. 

My supervisor people are reapeatedly stating they like my work. They are even coming to me for input about the process and potential changes. I also discovered they are all new to my facility or the company. The head guy a night gave me carte blanc for overtime. YEAH!!! Thats so great for me! 1. Christmas 2. DD is doing the DC Trip...$3000.00! 3. Car is making noise and window got a chip that spread :( 4. I want a small rv. Went to Lassen Volcanic National Park in October...freezing and it snowed.

Meal planning is helping stay me stay focused and it is a bit cheaper. Junk food is expensive.

Step count...31,666. New position has me moving. I hope the supervisors use some of my suggestions to reduce the amount of travel we have to due. My knees hurt. Glad I am taking day 5 as vacation. I need a rest...lol.

Determination today leads to success tomorrow!!!!

Stay strong.

Charli

Hey everyone,

It's been a few days, but things are going well for me. I'm not a big meal planner in the I-know-what-I'm-going-to-eat-every-meal-forever way, but I have been doing a decent job of making sure I have 1-3 options on hand for most meals. I also don't eat meat on Tuesdays or Fridays, so that gives me an opportunity to mix it up. With that, I have had to challenge myself, because I used to use a lot of cheese or dairy based protein on those days. So far it's been eggs or nuts, but I think I may need to branch out a little.

I hosted a dinner party on Sunday evening. It went super well. I made roasted chicken thighs, sweet potatoes with cranberries, a tomato salad and roasted brussels sprouts and broccoli with pork belly. Everything was super tasty. I did serve wine and a friend brought dessert, but it was so nice to just hang out that I didn't really miss those things. There's just something so satisfying about committing to and sticking to this challenge for 30 days that I don't want to cheat!

I am struggling a little with making sure I continue to live my life. I started the whole30 because I want to help heal my relationship with food, and because I'm curious to see if there are any hidden food intolerances I may have. I am a little nervous about that, too, though, because I genuinely love cheese and wine. I think I could handle being grain free, since I mostly don't eat grains anyways, but those options... I guess it's all about what's "worth it."  But I have two long-weekend trips planned this month: one coming up this weekend to Helsinki, Finland, and one over Thanksgiving weekend to Tallinn, Estonia.  Food wise I've researched and I know I'll be able to find things that are whole30-ish, but I'm not confident in my ability to ask all the questions I'd need to about soy, corn oil, sugar, etc.  I guess I'm just coming to the realization that this whole30 will not be perfect in regards to the health benefits, but I still plan on making all the correct decisions (which I don't think includes skipping out on trips with friends).  Anyone else thinking about it this way? I don't want to be a negative voice and tempt anyone away from their goals!

Keep calm and keep on :)

Sierra

Hi,

I started Nov. 1 too. I have not followed it to the tee though, so if you have you are already doing better than me. lol For the most part I have cut out all grains and about 90 percent sugar. I have drank a few beers bc of a stressful job, and today I broke down and had a Starbucks latte. So! With that being said, I have been following it very well. But, here are my challenges - a.) I live with a man who eats whatever he wants, so the odds of me being tempted by non program foods is pretty high. He would never try the Whole30 food plan so no chance there of removing all unwanted foods from the pantry and fridge. b.) The worst part of it all is I'm hungry all the time! Even after I make a healthy nutritious approved meal I am hungry like 45 min later. If anything, this will derail me. I cannot stand to feel hungry all the time. I need to feel satiated. So, either I'm not eating enough or I'm not eating the right things. Have you experienced this? I hope you're having more success than me. 

Hay Y'all

Missed day 5...DDs are very involved in drama and the performance was amazing. 

Food wise still doing great until....today Day 6...I'm sick. My throat is killing me and I think fever is here. Had my yearly flu shot so that will help. I feel to aweful to go get something W30 approved for my throat so Ricola cough drops and tylenol. I really want a bag of popcycles to cool my throat. Do I have to start over because of the cough drops? I have not had anything off plan. Please advise.

Roonster,

I like that your traveling and living life while W30ing. I believe Melissa stated that we need to learn how to navigate the world not just our kitchens. Good luck and enjoy your travels.

Eat boiled eggs if your still hungry. Protien and healthy fat in one package. Put different W30 approved sauces or Old Bay Seasoning on them to change up the flavor. 

To sick to think of a quote today so stay stong.

Charli.    Aka Sicko

14 hours ago, StephResets said:

Hi,

I started Nov. 1 too. I have not followed it to the tee though, so if you have you are already doing better than me. lol For the most part I have cut out all grains and about 90 percent sugar. I have drank a few beers bc of a stressful job, and today I broke down and had a Starbucks latte. So! With that being said, I have been following it very well. But, here are my challenges - a.) I live with a man who eats whatever he wants, so the odds of me being tempted by non program foods is pretty high. He would never try the Whole30 food plan so no chance there of removing all unwanted foods from the pantry and fridge. b.) The worst part of it all is I'm hungry all the time! Even after I make a healthy nutritious approved meal I am hungry like 45 min later. If anything, this will derail me. I cannot stand to feel hungry all the time. I need to feel satiated. So, either I'm not eating enough or I'm not eating the right things. Have you experienced this? I hope you're having more success than me. 

You should never be hungry on whole30 - you're probably not eating enough! Head over to the Troubleshooting Forum and list out your meals with specific details and a moderator will help you make tweaks. Usually it's not enough fat, and incorrect portion sizes. It takes a lot of experimentation to figure out how much food you need to stay full so just keep adding things to your meals until you're able to go 4-5 hours without being hungry!

Hay Y'all

WOW! Amazing what sleep can do for a body. I'm feeling so much better. Yeah!!! I woke up hungry...boiled eggs to the rescue. They calmed the ravenous feeling long enough to make meal 1. 

Family decded we are doung Thanksgiving...I tried to skip it lol. I need an alternative to cream of soup and how to make crispy onions without wheat. I can skip the pies and appetizers but not green bean casserole or oh no...stuffing.

I will survive it. I can do it. 

Stay strong.

Charli

Hay Y'all

I am working so much that I have completely lost a few days...they all look alike. 

I am staying focused on eating w30 compliant. Unfortunately....not a great deal of time to cook so the wonderful meal plan has not been getting cooked. 12 hour days are taking their toll on me.

Yesterday I did try to slice potatoes for baking crispy. I wanted popcorn. I sliced a chunk of my thumb off. Sitting at Dr.s office to have it cleaned and bandaged before work tonight. Work gave me a less demanding task last night. How nice of them. Glad the supervisors like my work.

My qoute for now: love this one

The only question is: What do you want and what are you willing to do to get it? 

Stay strong

Charli

Thanksgiving is always a challenge, but probably especially on whole30. I don't know of any stuffing substitutes that don't use grains. The best I can think of is making some crispy baked sweet potatoes and mixing them with some cranberries, nuts, etc... Whatever your favourite stuffing ingredients are. It won't be the same, but it should still be tasty!

Crispy onions... You could always try using a coconut flour. I think this strays a little close to the whole paleo-ifying foods thing that we're supposed to stay away from, but Thanksgiving only happens once per year! That being said, green bean casserole sounds like it'll be very difficult to make compliant. 

I've been struggling with making my life fit into the whole30 mold, and I've had to compromise a few things. First, my goal with the whole30 was to start to fix my relationship with food, and I think I am getting better. That said, I've had to come to terms with the fact that I won't get the full health effects out of this one. 

This weekend I'm in Helsinki, Finland, and over Thanksgiving weekend I'll be in Estonia. I decided it's not healthy for me to cancel all my plans and live like a hermit for 30 days, so I make whole30 choices as much as possible and then don't worry about the rest. I've been packing my meals as I travel around, but one meal a day eating out isn't as easy in a foreign country. I have stayed away from alcohol strictly, but I can't guarantee the rest of them. Last night my friend and I went to an amazing Turkish buffet, and I had some hummus that I thought was baba ganoush. Full disclosure, I also had a couple bites of the most delicious baklava I've ever had.

Today I'm back onboard and only had a small stomach ache. I feel a little blah and am excited to get back on the wagon with eating whole30.

Cheers, all!

Hello,

It is interesting and encouraging to read so many posts. It seems many of us who have started on the Whole30 are thinking ahead to Thanksgiving. Thank goodness we can eat the turkey! Fresh vegetables and potatoes. I am hosting my family so I can plan food my husband and I can eat while still making some of the family's favorites. Hopefully by Thanksgiving (Day 23 for those who started on the 1st) our brain will already be reset enough to by pass the pies! I have such a sweet tooth, this will be my challenge. Yesterday was a small trial. Friday is treat day at the school I teach at. Someone brought one of my favorite dessert cakes and I was able to go and sit at the table - with all the treats spread out before me - and manage to eat my Whole30 compliant lunch without caving in! Victory!

I hope all of you are remaining strong in keeping with the goal of better health. There is a good reason we are trying to do this.

Hay Y'all

It has been a few days. Food choices are still great Just needing time to cook. 

Sadly I am not noticing any NSV yet. 

I have decided to postpone Thanksgiving until Dec.1. My family just has to get over it or go to aunties house. I have to work that night so I could use the sleep. 

My eyes are driving me nuts. I cant see with or without my glasses. 

I am living vicariously throught your travels. Stay focused your doing great. I think it helps that your aware if the things your not supposed to have so you can limit how much you are eating. That alone is a NSV.

Discipline is remembering what you want.

Stay strong

Charli

Hey Charli (and anyone else reading this :) ),

Glad to hear your food choices are becoming easy! I'm stuck in a bit of a rut of not having gone grocery shopping so having only random things around the house. Because of that, my meals are rather piecemeal and maybe not 100% the best ratios, but I've been staying within the rules. For example, this evening I've eaten a handful of cashews, half a dozen small tomatoes and I'm going to have a couple hard boiled eggs. C'est la whole30 vie!

I'm sticking with this whole30 the entire month of November despite my eating some off plan foods last weekend. I've committed to it, and I think it's a valuable lesson to not quit just because I "failed." However, I'm debating if I want to extend past Nov 30 to actually finish out the 30 days. After getting a stomach ache from eating some foods after a week and a half, I'm really interested in learning which foods affect me.

Sorry you haven't experienced any NSVs. Perhaps you have and just don't notice because they've snuck up on you so gradually? An example would be feeling better from eliminating some food, but you don't realize it until you later reintroduce that food. Either way, you're doing good things for your body and mind!

Keep on keepin' on, and I hope you find some time to cook!

Sierra

Hay Y'all

My cold came back. Or allergy. Cold meds nit doing anything. When I was a kid I always git very sick this time of year so I switched meds.

Dinner was great...Wheat Bellys dijon pork tenderloin and roasted veggies. DDs helped. Made w30 mayo....took forever with the blender stick. We kept having to let the stick thing cool down. I think we will use the food processor next time.

I forgot about the ratios...i need more veggies not just salads daily. Protiens are good. Getting better at adding fat. Cashews and macadamia nuts are handy. I dont understand cooking meat in oil but avacado oil is getting used.

I have caught myself mindlessly eating nuts on the way home from work. I am not super hungry. I am thinking that I am doing it to stay awake on my hour drive home. I am aware that something is going on so I need to discover if it is assisting me to stay awake or am I just hungry. With my hours...I'll not let it bother me if it is to stay awake while driving.

I am hoping to reintroduce foods back in on Dec 1 but it my have to wait until Jan 1. With my schedule I could see myself downing sugar to stay alert. But if I continue w30 I think I'll be ok to go til xmas at least. 

Get some shopping done to mix it up a little. Precut veggies are great time savers. Frozen veggies are better with old bay seasoning. Eggs are our friends and food. 

Check in with yall later.

Stay strong

Charli

Hay Y'all

Today is the 19th. Yesterday I was wble to pull my jeans down without unbuttoning them!!!! I dont see any difference when I look in the mirror but my clothes are getting too big. 

Oh my...all this O.T. I am eorking I think I'll get a new wardrobe...lol.

Still dont have lots of time to cook so I am eating what I know is safe. And fast and easy. Sugar hydra (cut off 1 head 2 grow back) still getting me although not as strong but still very much here. 

So what are everyones plan for Thanksgiving. I have to work Thursday night so we are doing the feast on Wednesday. I plan on playing board games with everyone. Phase 10 is a favorite. My household can go visit family on Thursday while I rest watch the parade and miracle on 34th street (both versions). Its how we start xmas. (my attempt at family tradition).

Never trade what you want the most for what you want at the moment.

Stsy strong

Charli

Ciao all,

So I straight up "fell off the wagon" as they say. It was a gradual thing, but last week I (while not going crazy eating wise) didn't really make any effort to follow whole30 rules.  I think it was the combination of having accidentally slipped up the previous weekend while traveling and knowing that I had multiple event scheduled throughout the week that would involve food. So I'm restarting tomorrow, but I'm a little nervous.  And all my NSVs that I didn't even notice are gone. Digestive issues (rumbly gut) are back, which I'm assuming are due to either grains or beans, but I guess I won't know until I actually stick to this and then do a reintroduction.

Thanksgiving weekend I have a trip to Estonia booked with a couple friends.  My plan going into it is to stick with whole30 by packing snacks, reading menus and not even giving myself the option to drink.  I hope that I can just enjoy the 4-day weekend with friends without feeling too pressured to eat / drink things that are off plan.

I realize everyone has crazy lives, but is it just me that feels like I'm rarely in control of my food choices? Either I'm traveling for work, traveling for fun or just being generally social.  Almost all of these things seem to revolve around food, and now that the holidays are here, it isn't getting any easier.  Oh well, I have my fond memories of the couple days of good feelings I had to motivate me to push through!

Happy Turkey Day!

Sierra

Hello everyone! 

It's great to read about everyone's journey. Due to my friend moving back in with me and being somewhat resistant to my Whole30 decision, I decided to compromise. I waited until after her birthday to start. Her birthday weekend was Nov 11-12, so I started Nov 13. It was a great decision, because she has been so much more supportive and even inquisitive. She has even express gratitude for being a good influence on her.

The first week has actually been easier than I anticipated. So far, I haven't had to alter my lifestyle much at all. Just in this past week I've gone out to eat several times, traveled for work, and even went partying at the clubs and bars.  To say it is empowering is an understatement.

Last week, I had to go to Chicago for work. I sat with a bunch of executives from my company at a family style Italian restaurant; and somehow managed to have a blast, not look awkward, and not leave hungry. With tortellini, alfredo, risotto, bread, cheese platters, crafts of red wine, and tiramisu circling around the table in front of me; I felt very proud of myself when we left. I ate the salad with oil and vinegar, roasted chicken, prosciutto, tomato and basil, and brussel sprouts (which may have been cooked in butter, oops), and was completely satisfied.  It probably helps that I was only 2 days in and had the "I got this" mentality. 

I'm 30 years old and can honestly say, unless I was a designated driver (which with Uber is not necessary anymore) I never went out at night without having a drink. It is so liberating to not feel the need to have a drink because everyone else is. Instead I ordered a club soda or sparkling water with a splash of grapefruit juice (if no sugar added) and a lime. It looks like a beverage, but I'm really just getting hydrated :) The best part is, I was out on the dance floor with friends having just as much fun as before. Only differences being, I don't spend a ton of money, I can drive myself home, and I don't feel like crap in the morning! Win. Win. Win.

Eating out is interesting. I feel like that high-maintenance person that makes the waitress, who thought she could remember our order, get out a pen and paper to write down all my special requests. I'll have the salad with no cheese, no bread crumbs, no corn, no dressing, oil and vinegar on the side, oh and can you put some salmon on top - cooked in olive oil, not butter. Everyone at the table is cross-eyed by the time I'm done ordering. LOL! Oh well! Eating at home is a bit easier. I've been living on egg casserole, chia pudding with berries, ground turkey chili, and kale salads with lots of hard boiled eggs and avocados.

Here's to another week of temptations for all of us! Stay strong and eat lots of turkey!

Sarah

On 11/19/2017 at 1:55 PM, Roonster said:

Ciao all,

So I straight up "fell off the wagon" as they say. It was a gradual thing, but last week I (while not going crazy eating wise) didn't really make any effort to follow whole30 rules.  I think it was the combination of having accidentally slipped up the previous weekend while traveling and knowing that I had multiple event scheduled throughout the week that would involve food. So I'm restarting tomorrow, but I'm a little nervous.  And all my NSVs that I didn't even notice are gone. Digestive issues (rumbly gut) are back, which I'm assuming are due to either grains or beans, but I guess I won't know until I actually stick to this and then do a reintroduction.

Thanksgiving weekend I have a trip to Estonia booked with a couple friends.  My plan going into it is to stick with whole30 by packing snacks, reading menus and not even giving myself the option to drink.  I hope that I can just enjoy the 4-day weekend with friends without feeling too pressured to eat / drink things that are off plan.

I realize everyone has crazy lives, but is it just me that feels like I'm rarely in control of my food choices? Either I'm traveling for work, traveling for fun or just being generally social.  Almost all of these things seem to revolve around food, and now that the holidays are here, it isn't getting any easier.  Oh well, I have my fond memories of the couple days of good feelings I had to motivate me to push through!

Happy Turkey Day!

Sierra

You got this girl! Order something that makes it look like you are drinking. I've been doing sparkling water or club soda with a splash of grapefruit juice and a lime. Looks fancy and give you something to saluti! 

Have fun on your trip! :)

Hay Y'all

Please dont beat yourself up. If for no other reason know that this was practice for your NEW lifestyle. Sounds like you narrowed down digestive issues to 2 foods. Yeah!!! Less work when you reintroduce and you learned what to look for. Also know thst you are consciously making better food choices while travelling too. 

No it is not just you...I still cant look at cookies and not salivate. Tis going to take more than 30 days to tame my sugar hydra. 

Glad your roommate is on board and being supportive. You made a great decission waiting. Cool idea about the drinking. Congrats on the italian meal with friends. Melissa Hartwig has stated that the more attention we draw to our food preferences when ordering the bigger pain we become to the staff. 1 of her tips is to call ahead to make sure they allow substitutions and can accommodate our choices.

Im nervous about tomorrow...our T-day. 

Is gravy made with coconut flour cheating? I will not eat stuffing. I will not eat stuffing...repeat. Lol.

I love this....

What do you want and what are you willing to do to get it?

Stay strong

Charli

WOW!!!

Hay Y'all

5 day left. It went by so quickly. I know I have to go longer because my sugar hydra is still very much something I dont feel I have control over. 

I dont feel different. Didnt get head aches or moody. So I will hopefully be happy with the number on the scale. I do see my liver area on my belly is smaller. I guess after years of abuse I cant expect too much. 

I am going to reintroduce dairy first.

But I need to avoid sugar. I also want to see what my sugar level is. It has to be near normal. Not my normal of over 200 but a healthy persons normal.

I already didnt eat grains so that was easy. I read wheat belly and stopped the grains. Not much happened then either. I really am thinking sugar is and has been my problem. I just wasnt strong enough to give it up til now.

Well stay strong

Charli

WOW!!!

Hay Y'all

2 days to go. 

I am wantinf a soda pop of all things evil. I know I can not have even a sip or all my changes will be undone. 

Time to review the NSV list. Where did I put that list. Brain fog really bad the last 2 days. I thought I was supposed to get better not worse. 

Tomorrow the DDs need to go shopping for school projects. Really its Christmas present shopping time. What parent has time and money for school projects in November or December? Damn Nazi teachers. This happens every yeat and I complain every year. You would think I would be smart enough to budget school projects by now but nooo I'm to .... To think of that. Thank goodness for Michaels coupons and lots of kids to go shopping with.

I cant tell if the real me is here or if the crankiness is my withdrawl symptoms. I think I have week 1 and 2 symptoms in week 4. Did I eat something non w30 in the begining? And now I detoxing or did I have so much junk in me it is finally getting out and I need longer time on w30? Really need help here. Who do I call? I want to kill everything. Worried that eating a piece of fruit will enable my sugar hydra. This sucks. I had such an easy w30 and now this. Uggghhhh!!!

Trying to Stay strong

Charli

On 11/28/2017 at 11:49 PM, S1eepygrl said:

I am wantinf a soda pop of all things evil. I know I can not have even a sip or all my changes will be undone. 

Time to review the NSV list. Where did I put that list. Brain fog really bad the last 2 days. I thought I was supposed to get better not worse. 

I was a (minimum) of a can a soda a day before whole 30, now I haven't had one in over 3 months - the cravings gradually lessened over time.

Not so much brain fog, but I was running into depression (for no obvious reason) until I tried adding more sodium via tablets - that fixed the problem.  Amazing how much less sodium a clean diet has, and while too much sodium can be problematic, it is still an essential mineral.

Sugar numbers - I went from pre-diabetic to completely normal blood sugar due to my whole 30 (I continue to eat whole 30 about 95% of the time) - I did eat a LOT of grains prior, so my reduction will likely be more drastic than yours.

Great job!

Hay Y'all

Today is day 31!!!! I did it!!!! Now I got off work at 630am. Took kids to school and have 3 errands then to bed. When I wake up I am going to weigh myself. I dont have many NSV from the list. When I wake up I will also take my blood sugar level. Then ... Ice cream. Plain vanilla creaminess.

I think the sodium was the problem. Salt came out fast onto a boiled egg and I got some clarity. I may have also needed more sleep. 12 hour shifts and I am the Mom. Geeeees can i just take a vacation lol. Thank you for the tip.

To assist with my food budget and meal planning I cleaned my big freezer yesterday. We took inventory. I am buying only fresh produce for 2 months. I have that much meat. Surprised me. Yeah!!!

What do you want? What are you willing to do to get it?

Stay strong

Charli

Archived