Is this mayonnaise ok?

goddesslynne

Check this out: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XH8T8U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=AXEB6IFK70JP0

Olive oil, coconut oil and sesame oil are used. Is sesame oil ok? Anyone try this? It's expensive, but I would need to buy a blender or stick blender in order to make mayo at home, and then the ingredients, so maybe this isn't such a bad deal after all.

Lynne, I can't see where they list the ingredients. It is so expensive and it is so easy to make your own. Do you own a food processor, blender or immersion blender (easiest)? Let me know which one you have and I can direct you to the recipe. :)

• Moderators

Making mayonnaise is super easy and once you can, you will be happy to keep doing it. Another alternative is to use mashed ripe avocado when you might otherwise use mayonnaise. I make all my tuna and salmon salads with avocado instead of mayo lately.

If you go and look at the ingredients on their website it has evaporated cane juice in it as well. :( Sorry!

http://www.wildernes...mayo/Mayo16.php

D'oh!! Oh well...

I have a ninja, but I can't figure out how to add a gradual stream of oil! Also, it gets pretty hot after about 30-45 seconds. I will search for a cheap immersion blender and use one of the recipes I've seen here!!

Thank you so much for the replies!!

Immersions blenders are very versatile! I use them a lot to make soups: Boil your veggies, remove some water (then add whatever extras you want: stock, coconut milk, spices, etc.) and purée everything!

I use my immersion blender (ex. soups, pumpkin purée), regular blender (ex. mayo) and food processor (ex. cauliflower rice - omg so good!) all for different purposes and I consider them all money well spent!

• 1 month later...
My guess on preferring cans over bottles for oil would be oil in a can is in the dark, whereas light passes through bottles, especially clear ones. Light can speed degradation of products.

Oh and that is why you see large amounts of olive oil sold in the cans. Makes sense but I would worry about it having a metalic taste.

I've only seen extra virgin olive oil in cans, and I don't want to use that in mayo. What I do is: I buy the "light tasting" olive oil at Costco. It comes in a jumbo plastic bottle. Costco moves a lot of product; I believe those bottles are not sitting around there long at all.

Anyway, so I rummage back and select a bottle from a level or two below what's on display, down inside the box where it's mostly dark. I'm not above moving a bunch of bottles onto the floor in order to reach one that's still in the dark (then replacing the bottles that I moved). When I get to my car, my bottle goes into a double layer of opaque plastic bags (from the local grocery store).

The bottle remains covered by those bags from now on, in which is is stored on a shelf on my cellar stairs. When I make mayo I fetch it, pour out what I need, recap and return it to its shelf.

The beauty of using the opaque plastic bags is, I can handle the bottle and pour from it without removing the bags. It stays covered.

At least, that's my method to minimize light and air. Would love to hear it if someone has a better way of protecting "light tasting" olive oil!

Archived