Holy bad dream, Batman!!

AmyS

My god! This hugely disturbing dream woke me up just past midnight and I'm still shaking from it!!!

I think this is an indirect, not a direct, Whole30 effect. For the last several years I've taken a lowish dose of clonazepam almost nightly in order to settle anxiety and help me sleep. It's not one of those medications that requires medically supervised weaning, so I can go off and on it as needed - and I have gone periods without it. But not recently.

Anyway, last night, halfway through my second Whole30, I literally fell asleep before I had time to take the clonazepam. So - SUCCESS!! But then I had this extraordinarily painful dream (a variation on the sort of classic one where Bad Things Happen To People You Love). I eventually fell back to sleep (more Whole30 success there, no clonazepam needed). But I'm still shaking, literally! Shaking!

Anyway! I'm really glad that eating well has helped me fall asleep before I had a chance to take my fall-asleep medicine. Yeah! But I'm going to give my pillow a severe talking-to about what sorts of dreams are allowed in future, before I go to bed tonight. Hmph!

Any encouraging stories about sleep and dreams improving over time, especially after (apparently) not needing the usual medications? I do not want to be a whimpering mess tonight. Lordy. Also, since the clonazepam truly does not require weaning, I don't want to make myself take it if I'm clearly going to be able to fall asleep without it.

I need a teddy bear.

From what I know.... With out the anti anxiety meds, you are more in touch with your subcontious mind and you are dreaming freely. ( the anti anxiety meds swing both ways and they do dull your thought processes)

Eating W30 also clears the mind,sharpens the senses, hence vivid dreaming.....

Look at your dreams as a gift from the universe, don't fear them but embrace them.... It's just you, telling yourself what you need to examine a bit closer.... Or maybe just your mind trying to make sense of the sensory overload from all of today's media sources/work/ crazyness... (. We used to just dowse the fire after dinner,scratch and go to sleep). Anyway, you will acclimate soon enough. :).

Strange question: Did you eat any starchies before bed last night? My hubs has EPIC bad dreams if he eats carbs too late at night. It can be a bit ridiculous, actually.

Good question - I'm not sure, since I don't keep food logs... something to keep in mind though!

From what I know.... With out the anti anxiety meds, you are more in touch with your subcontious mind and you are dreaming freely. ( the anti anxiety meds swing both ways and they do dull your thought processes)

Eating W30 also clears the mind,sharpens the senses, hence vivid dreaming.....

Look at your dreams as a gift from the universe, don't fear them but embrace them.... It's just you, telling yourself what you need to examine a bit closer.... Or maybe just your mind trying to make sense of the sensory overload from all of today's media sources/work/ crazyness... (. We used to just dowse the fire after dinner,scratch and go to sleep). Anyway, you will acclimate soon enough. :).

I think you're right. The meds do dull the experience of dreaming, and what might otherwise just be a dream becomes something extra-vivid when I go off of them. Good point. And yes, I look forward to acclimating!

• 1 month later...

I know this was posted a while ago but it really resonated with me. 2 nights ago, my husband woke me up from a horrible nightmare because my sobbing woke him. I haven't dreamed that vividly/horribly in a long time and I assume it has to do with the Whole30. I'm just hoping that my dreams continue to be vivid... but not awful!!

Also note/question: My understanding was that clonazepam is a medication that does requires medical weaning. I've been taking it for years (I have generalized anxiety disorder and PTSD) and was warned multiple times by both my doctors not to stop taking it unsupervised. Maybe this just depends on the doseage? I'll have to ask my doctor the next time I see them as I'm hoping to eventually wean off all my meds!

Turbo -

Vivid dreams are really common, and I'm sorry that this one was unpleasant! If it keeps happening, take a look at your last meal of the day. My hubs is really prone to horrible, vivid dreams and when his last meal or snack is higher in sugar or carbs he's more likely to have those dreams.

And we really suggest working with your doc anytime there's medication involved.

Archived