Can I have nutritional yeast?

thatjenn

I searched the forums, and did a little Googling. Google seems to think that paleo folks are split on it, and the paleo people who discount nutritional yeast mostly do so on historical grounds, not health grounds. So - yea or nay? I'm asking because I love its flavor and tend to mix it in with things when I want a cheesy flavor without cheese, and so it just might save me. :)

(I'm on day -1 of my whole30... going grocery shopping tonight after a couple of weeks of reading and making substitutions as a warm-up.)

thatjenn -

Nutritional yeast is fine, just beware that (and I'm not sure if this is possible...) you aren't using it to fill the cheese void...

My research also indicates that you may want to be careful to source a "gluten free" yeast, as some of them can contain trace amounts. It seems that Bob's Red Mill is safe.

It's a single-celled eukaryote. Nutritional yeast is similar to the yeast used in brewing or bread making. On the one hand, those are longstanding human interactions with a microorganism and fermentation is a natural process. On the other hand, the tasty little flakes of nutritional yeast are grown in nutrient media in big vats and then dried out for our consumption, which seems kind of industrial. I really love the stuff, too, though. It just tastes good to me, and sometimes I think I crave it for the B vitamins. I don't think of it as a substitute for cheese though. It is a seasoning that provides "umami" (the fifth basic taste).

Well, you can brew beer at home, you just have to keep everything clean so that it doesn't get infected with something else. So you probably could grow yeast, but only some strains are tasty. Regular brewers yeast is kind of bitter and funky tasting.

Archived